PDA

View Full Version : Personal banking...

PropellerHeadCase
14-02-2008, 11:09 PM
Having a bit of trouble organising a bank account in the UK from afar - can anyone recommend a bank who are reasonably switched on and will be able to facilitate the opening of an account quickly once we land?

Our main problem at the moment is that it will apparently take as much as ten weeks (we land in eight), and we need a £750 deposit to open an account. We have that, if only just, but it is also covering other potential expenses such as freight... by the time we land, we'll have about 200 times that amount (and not a sniff of it from drug-money laundering ;) ).

Obviously, if they are good, they'll get our business banking, too.

Sapphire Disco
14-02-2008, 11:18 PM
Banks can be strange in this country, they don't seem to want your money unless you can prove where it came from, they always ask you for your driving licence and a utility bill. Why don't you try e mailing a few now and explaining your situation, see what response you get.

rob1963
14-02-2008, 11:33 PM
Banks can be strange in this country, they don't seem to want your money unless you can prove where it came from

That's not quite true, although there can be problems if you are paying in a large amount of cash.

If you refuse to tell them where it came from, or if you DO tell them, but they aren't happy with your explanation, they will forward a report to the authorities (not that you'll know about this).

You will then be investigated (without your knowledge, initially at least) for possible involvement in money laundering activities.

This is standard practice with banks for all unusual cash transactions.

PropellerHeadCase
15-02-2008, 12:39 AM
Rob, we will have all mortgage documentation, including documents relating to the trust that owns the properties over which the mortgage has been drawn, etc., etc.

So, any suggestions?

Vectis
15-02-2008, 07:23 AM
The bank I find most flexible and "switched on" as you put it is Intelligent Finance - OK part of Bank of Scotland but operating pretty much as an independent arm. I've used them for years and even at one point had two mortgages running concurrently whilst overlapping the purchase of one house with the sale of another by a few weeks WHILST UNEMPLOYED (temporarily!).

They are very easy to deal with, are UK-only based and are quite willing to discuss pretty much anything over the phone.

www.if.com

rob1963
15-02-2008, 07:45 AM
Rob, we will have all mortgage documentation, including documents relating to the trust that owns the properties over which the mortgage has been drawn, etc., etc.

So, any suggestions?

To be honest, Al, I'm probably not the best person to ask which bank is the best to go with.....

.....partly because I only have experience of one bank in the UK, and partly because I'm sure things have changed quite a bit since I resigned from them nearly 5 years ago.

PropellerHeadCase
15-02-2008, 08:39 AM
The bank I find most flexible and "switched on" as you put it is Intelligent Finance - OK part of Bank of Scotland but operating pretty much as an independent arm. I've used them for years and even at one point had two mortgages running concurrently whilst overlapping the purchase of one house with the sale of another by a few weeks WHILST UNEMPLOYED (temporarily!).

They are very easy to deal with, are UK-only based and are quite willing to discuss pretty much anything over the phone.

www.if.com

They certainly look the part - shame that email contact is only available to existing clients, eh?

Vectis
15-02-2008, 09:16 AM
They certainly look the part - shame that email contact is only available to existing clients, eh?

Don't they have phones down your way? :D

rob1963
15-02-2008, 03:17 PM
BBC Watchdog have just completed a survey of UK banks to discover which ones customers are the most and least satisfied with. 13,000 viewers took part.

The top bank was First direct, followed by Smile, Co-op, Royal Bank of Scotland and then Nationwide.

The worst bank was Abbey, followed by Halifax, Bank of Scotland, Barclays and then the joint 5th worst banks which were HSBC and Lloyds TSB.

Tom
15-02-2008, 06:32 PM
im with one of the worst banks and never had a problem what so ever.

Jiggles
15-02-2008, 06:36 PM
Same here mine is really good! i get plenty of interest! :D:D

Tom
15-02-2008, 06:38 PM
ohh yeah forgot about that. im at 6.4% now. :D:D:D:D:D

Solitaire Events Ltd
15-02-2008, 07:06 PM
But then I assume you two don't have mortgages, overdrafts and loans to contend with?

Tom
15-02-2008, 07:10 PM
i have arranged overdrafts on 2 of my accounts and a loan will be on the way. Ohh and i dont have a mortgage. just rent, lol

but for thr card with 6.4% i have to pay extra for that but got a lot for the money like phone insurance, breakdonw cover, travel insurance ect ect. list goes on. lol

Penfold42
15-02-2008, 07:29 PM
The worst bank was Abbey, followed by Halifax, Bank of Scotland, Barclays and then the joint 5th worst banks which were HSBC and Lloyds TSB.

I've used one of these for over 20 years...and never had a problem....been good to me.....:)

CRAZY K
15-02-2008, 09:29 PM
Having a bit of trouble organising a bank account in the UK from afar - can anyone recommend a bank who are reasonably switched on and will be able to facilitate the opening of an account quickly once we land?

Our main problem at the moment is that it will apparently take as much as ten weeks (we land in eight), and we need a £750 deposit to open an account. We have that, if only just, but it is also covering other potential expenses such as freight... by the time we land, we'll have about 200 times that amount (and not a sniff of it from drug-money laundering ;) ).

Obviously, if they are good, they'll get our business banking, too.

Hi Al, What about the bank you use in NZ?

Do they have a Branch in England or can they put you on to a contact here?

Im not sure what that £750 business is about? Ten weeks sounds outrageous, we got cheesed off with Nat West and set up with Barclays, im sure it was less than 2 weeks to get a card/ cheque book.

Also im sure there was an item on the news where the Government made sure people with no proper ID like buskers could open bank accounts with certain banks.

If you want me to ask at my Barclays for you let me know im always passing by or going in,

regards

ALAN
CRAZY K

Penfold42
15-02-2008, 09:43 PM
If you want me to ask at my Barclays for you let me know im always passing by or going in,

Business must be good then...........;)

rob1963
16-02-2008, 07:51 AM
Same here mine is really good! i get plenty of interest! :D:D

I don't.....

.....I have nothing to earn any interest ON!

:cry:

CRAZY K
16-02-2008, 09:18 AM
Business must be good then...........;)

Just cos I pass the bank doesnt mean business is good!!!!!!!!

Im generally on my way to do some boring shopping:eek:

I have been thinking of an unauthorised withdrawal using the wifes tights though:D

CRAZY K

wensleydale
16-02-2008, 09:21 AM

I have been thinking of an unauthorised withdrawal using the wifes tights though:D

CRAZY K

i suggest you dont do anything unauthorised in your wifes tights.

Penfold42
16-02-2008, 11:32 AM

CRAZY K

i suggest you dont do anything unauthorised in your wifes tights.

LMAO....:D

PropellerHeadCase
21-02-2008, 05:16 PM
Thanks for all the input, everyone, our bank finally pulled finger and put us onto their agent in London who deals with LloydsTSB international accounts. So, off to read the business accounts thrread, now :D