PDA

View Full Version : Mobile DJ Laws?

DJWilson
17-02-2008, 06:33 PM
Hi,

I was looking on google for a website saying the laws needed for a mobile DJ. e.g PLI etc.....

i cant find anything, so i was wondering do any of you helpful lot know any sites?

Thanks

Penfold42
17-02-2008, 06:35 PM
Hi,

I was looking on google for a website saying the laws needed for a mobile DJ. e.g PLI etc.....

i cant find anything, so i was wondering do any of you helpful lot know any sites?

Thanks

I'm not sure it's legal....just good practice....:)

Solitaire Events Ltd
17-02-2008, 07:42 PM
Hi,

Thanks

There are no laws that govern us as such.

However it is a very good idea to get PLI and to have your gear tested as stipulated by the Health and safety executive. An easy way of acheiving that is by PAT.

Obviously, there are other things to think about such as national insurance and tax, but that would be applicable on any business, not just ours.

For licenses, have a look here.http://djlicence.org.uk/pdffiles/Licensing%20Royalties.pdf This is how it currently stands with regards to licensing, but keep your eyes on the forum for any changes!

rob1963
17-02-2008, 10:32 PM
There are no laws that govern us as such.

However it is a very good idea to get PLI and to have your gear tested as stipulated by the Health and safety executive. An easy way of acheiving that is by PAT.

Obviously, there are other things to think about such as national insurance and tax, but that would be applicable on any business, not just ours.

For licenses, have a look here.http://djlicence.org.uk/pdffiles/Licensing%20Royalties.pdf This is how it currently stands with regards to licensing, but keep your eyes on the forum for any changes!

That was probably the best answer I've ever seen to a question on here...

...complete, relevant & informative.

Nice one Darren!

:D :D :D

Sapphire Disco
17-02-2008, 11:08 PM

Nice one Darren!

Sorry couldn't resist

Solitaire Events Ltd
18-02-2008, 09:06 AM

Nice one Darren!

I have my moments....;)

theoloyla
18-02-2008, 10:28 AM
Hi,

Thanks
Like the man said there are no specific laws for mobile dj's but lots of regulations that also apply to other businesses which apply. Everything you need to know can be found on this forum. Look no further.

DazzyD
29-02-2008, 11:33 PM
I've noticed a growing trend from companies offering PAT testing who are blatantly saying that it is a legal requirement to have your gear PAT tested. Up to now, this is not the case. It is strictly a voluntary practice in our industry but getting your gear tested shows a good level of professionalism as well as showing your potential customers that you take health and safety (and, therefore, their wellbeing and that of their guests) very seriously. And be aware that venues are well within their rights to refuse you permission to perform if you're not tested as it could well be a requirement of their health & safety certificate/insurance policy. Likewise, having a valid PLI certificate also shows you care (but let's hope you never need to use PLI cover!).

DJWoodie
09-01-2009, 09:29 PM
Now, this is interesting.

I am under the impression that PAT testing is only required if the goods are either 12 months old, or have been purchased used. All my equipment is brand spanking new and I have the receipts for everything. Do I still need PAT testing?

Two things I will have before the first gig:
1. Public Liability Insurance
2. Produb licence for 10-15,000 tracks on mp3 (yes I have all the original CD's.)

No point cutting any corners. If I am going to present myself as a professional, I want everything in place.

Penfold42
09-01-2009, 09:58 PM
I had new equipment, still got it PAT tested though. :)

DJWoodie
09-01-2009, 11:09 PM
Thanks, I'll do the same then I guess. Easiest option. :)

Creature
09-01-2009, 11:28 PM
I had new equipment, still got it PAT tested though.

even new equipment can fail teh PAt test !

Penfold42
10-01-2009, 12:06 AM
Thanks, I'll do the same then I guess. Easiest option. :)

Not easy option...ticks the boxes......and.....just makes me sleep at night....:) :D

DJWoodie
10-01-2009, 08:06 AM
Yes, I didn't mean it to sound like I was brushing it off, sorry. I agree. I am having all licenses needed including produb. I am not one to leave gaps and would rather it is done properly.

I am also not planning to use a laser, strobe or smoke machine as I don't want to blind anyone, give anyone a fit or set of any fire alarms either. With modern DMX LED systems, you can get a fantastic light show for £500 without the other stuff.

Corabar Steve
10-01-2009, 09:31 AM
Get all new equipment PAT tested (I test all ours, as I am C&G qualified, but I don't bang on about it unlike some (mentioning no names :whistle: ))

Ignore (if you read them before they were deleted) the now deleted posts that Nigel made, they have to be some of the biggest claptrap he's posted so far.

Nigel, you may be a qualified electronics engineer (oops! :whistle:) but this forum promotes best practice & best practice in this instance is to get all your kit tested regardless of age.

It's been said before (many times), but it is a fact that new kit can fail PAT & the faults that caused that fail can be dangerous & potentially life threatening. It doesn't matter who's touching / operating your kit PAT testing brings peace of mind.

Of course there's nothing to stop something from developing a fault the day after it's tested, but that's the same for MOTs & is also another can of worms. :sj:

Edit: A lot of PLI policies can / will be void if you don't have current (or is it currant, I can never remember) PAT certification.

Excalibur
10-01-2009, 10:18 AM
Get all new equipment PAT tested (I test all ours, as I am C&G qualified, but I don't bang on about it unlike some (mentioning no names :whistle: ))

Ignore (if you read them before they were deleted) the now deleted posts that Nigel made, they have to be some of the biggest claptrap he's posted so far.

Nigel, you may be a qualified electronics engineer (oops! :whistle:) but this forum promotes best practice & best practice in this instance is to get all your kit tested regardless of age.

It's been said before (many times), but it is a fact that new kit can fail PAT & the faults that caused that fail can be dangerous & potentially life threatening. It doesn't matter who's touching / operating your kit PAT testing brings peace of mind.

Of course there's nothing to stop something from developing a fault the day after it's tested, but that's the same for MOTs & is also another can of worms. :sj: .

The sand in the vaseline. ;) ;) I shall maintain a dignified silence on this one. :zip:

Edit: A lot of PLI policies can / will be void if you don't have current (or is it currant, I can never remember) PAT certification.
That's the one. ;)

A pitfall to watch out for. Remember that one condition of PLI, I think, is for the operator to carry out regular visual checks. ;) If it looks dodgy, don't plug it in. :eek: