PDA

View Full Version : Please Muller my Website!

Ryu
20-02-2008, 07:36 AM
Hello all,

I'm on the verge of a Website redesign and wanted a few pointers on where to go...

I started out with a veeeeeery basic freebie webpage designer (Office Live) and chucked on the bare minimum info, simply to get something up there.

You may also wish to rip on my equipment...yes.....ahem....we do still use a Rope light and homemade lightboxes...(You could help me out by explaining why this is so badly regarded amongst the DJ community....is there some actual reason why they are deemed :Censored: or is it just DJ :Censored: Measuring...i.e "I use the Megaspangle 3000 that costs 5000 just to touch it, and your using homemades....thats saaaaaaaad?)

Any tips, abuse, advice, scorn, suggestions, ribbing, ideas or character assasination would be, strangely, much appreciated.

www.harlequinroadshow.co.uk

Thanks

Shaun
20-02-2008, 08:48 AM
yes.....ahem....we do still use a Rope light and homemade lightboxes...(You could help me out by explaining why this is so badly regarded amongst the DJ community....is there some actual reason why they are deemed :Censored: or is it just DJ :Censored: Measuring...i.e "I use the Megaspangle 3000 that costs 5000 just to touch it, and your using homemades....thats saaaaaaaad?)

I'm not a big fan of ropelights and light-boxes. For me personally it's nothing to do with 'gear snobbery', it's more of a preference. As long as the equipment is tidy, neatly presented and safe....that's all that really matters.

Vectis
20-02-2008, 09:20 AM
For the image I promote, boxes and ropes (and fuzzes and spotboxes) don't work - simple as. There are plenty of local DJs who continue to work with 'retro' equipment and they are busy so there must be demand for both styles.

Nothing against them per se... just not for me.

Ryu
20-02-2008, 09:47 AM
I like that I got censored.

Appreciate your responses Elite and Vectis.

I have to say, the old mans been making lights and stuff since I was a nipper, and I've seen worse. My thinking about Disco lights is keep it simple, but effective...combining a few par cans and a projector with some flashing boxes does the trick.

I've never seen anyone dancing to lights without music, but have seen people dancing to Music without lights. As long as the Record box, CD Wallet or MP3 Collection is bang on....your 80% there...

Have you had chance to look at my equally "Homemade" website?
Feedback muchly appreciated.

rob1963
20-02-2008, 10:25 AM
Hello all,

I'm on the verge of a Website redesign and wanted a few pointers on where to go...

I started out with a veeeeeery basic freebie webpage designer (Office Live) and chucked on the bare minimum info, simply to get something up there.

You may also wish to rip on my equipment...yes.....ahem....we do still use a Rope light and homemade lightboxes...(You could help me out by explaining why this is so badly regarded amongst the DJ community....is there some actual reason why they are deemed :Censored: or is it just DJ :Censored: Measuring...i.e "I use the Megaspangle 3000 that costs 5000 just to touch it, and your using homemades....thats saaaaaaaad?)

Any tips, abuse, advice, scorn, suggestions, ribbing, ideas or character assasination would be, strangely, much appreciated.

www.harlequinroadshow.co.uk

Thanks

Hiya Ryu,

Although basic, your site seems ok to me & I'm sure it does the job.

There were just three things which I noticed.

Firstly, I think it's a good idea to mention the area you are based in on the home page, even though I appreciate it's mentioned on the about us page.

Secondly, I think the site would look better with just one font size & colour. At present, the home page has small black writing, the about us page has large red writing AND small black writing, and the contact us page has large red writing.

Finally, I don't see the point of the site map, as it simply has links to the other pages, which every page already has anyway. I would replace it with something more useful, such as a FAQ page or maybe a gallery page.

Hope this helps.

:)

Solitaire Events Ltd
20-02-2008, 10:27 AM
I think that your site looks 'homemade' and that you will attract the lower end of the market with a site that looks that way.

If that's what you do and what you want then fine, but if you want to attract a different sort of clientele, then I think you may need to get a bespoke site made.

Having said that, what you do say on there is clear and precise, but it doesn't tell us a great deal about you and your Dad.

Marc J
20-02-2008, 11:24 AM
Please don't take this the wrong way, but your site looks more like a collection of parts rather than a single entity.

There is a plethora of headers (all used together), 4 separate widths, a few different styles, and a search at the top of every page which I don't see the point of having (do you want people to leave your site? Google is for searches!)

On second thoughts, there's no way you can't take that the wrong way, but then you did say: -

Ryu
20-02-2008, 11:59 AM
Its all good Marc J, Thats the kind of feedback I was looking for...I'm no web designer, just went with what I thought was o.k and a few add ins were just there so I bunged them in!

Solitaire..Is there any good web design tools I can get on low budget? Or someone you would recommend to design one on our behalf?

We are currently dealing with countywide gigs (Oxfordshire) and have had mainly private bookings but ideally, I'd like to get us back in the hotels. I have got involved with the show over the last year as it was floundering and lost a bit of cred amongst the local hotel chains...I'm looking to get that back on track and restore the kind of rep my Dads show commanded 15 years ago (20 night xmas party seasons etc)

I'm new school in my approach, can do propper beat mixing and in terms of music knowledge of the last 20 years, I'm pretty good, My dad, by comparison is a propper old school motown, northern soul, rock and roll kind of DJ. I think we make a good combo! Should really add that to the website right!?

Thanks again for your pointers...all noted.

Shaun
20-02-2008, 01:23 PM
Or someone you would recommend to design one on our behalf?

I wholeheartedly recommend Marc J. He did my website and he has provided various design/hosting/tweaking services for several other forum members. It really all depends on your budget though. Like most things you really do get what you pay for. If you can stretch your budget to hire a professional like Marc, you wont regret it. Drop him a PM (private message).

Solitaire Events Ltd
20-02-2008, 01:35 PM
Solitaire..Is there any good web design tools I can get on low budget? Or someone you would recommend to design one on our behalf?

My site at the moment is a simple template from 1&1 hosting.

If you are going to do it on your own then spend a few months learning about web site optimisation as it will do your company the power of good.

rob1963
20-02-2008, 02:02 PM
I wholeheartedly recommend Marc J. He did my website and he has provided various design/hosting/tweaking services for several other forum members. It really all depends on your budget though. Like most things you really do get what you pay for. If you can stretch your budget to hire a professional like Marc, you wont regret it. Drop him a PM (private message).

:agree: