PDA

View Full Version : Web site redesigned. Open to critics!!! Be gentle please!

KaraokeDJ
22-02-2008, 08:55 AM
Actually, don't be gentle. I was tired of my web site and redesigned it - even though I really do not enjoy using computers for anything other than music or when I really have to - so I find it a dull job - so I redesigned it.

I've kept it simple (I think) with just enough information (I think). But, since you guys are the ones who are most likely to be brutally honest, I thought I'd ask for opinions.

www.LincsDJ.co.uk

Thanks

rob1963
22-02-2008, 09:16 AM
Hiya Karaoke DJ.

It looks okay to me, but a couple of things stood out.

I think your site over-emphasizes customer feedback. There is a feedback page, which is fine...but there is also a customer testimonials page, which is the same thing, and the FAQ page also has 5 links to more customer feedback!

Secondly, the photos on the gallery page are quite small & not that easy to see. I think it would be better if clicking on each one brought up a larger version.

Hope this helps.

:)

KaraokeDJ
22-02-2008, 09:34 AM
Cool. Thanks for the comments.

Vectis
22-02-2008, 09:34 AM
Agree with Roy's sentiments re: the customer feedback - yes it's great to have and a good sales tool, but it's too prevalent.

I have to object to the PAT/PLI stuff (whilst admirable) being categorised as "Legal" - neither are legal requirements and you're misleading Joe Public into thinking that they are. I'm the first person to flag-wave about PAT & PLI but maybe rethink the category title - 'Safety' perhaps?

Yes, the pics are a bit too small - either find a way to enlarge them or get them to click-through to the large version in the gallery? There are plenty of nice simple 'hover' scripts around that might be a good alternative.

Combine 'feedback' and 'testimonials' into a single page?

The FAQ's page is hard work and I gave up after a couple of para's. Find a more visually appealing way of presenting the detail.

Have you considered an 0800 or 0845 number that you can divert to mobile/landline/Martin/Donna as appropriate? Then you could simply say "Call XXXX Anytime" rather than giving the potential customer rules about when and who to call.

Do general web surfers need to know your postal address? Is there a security risk in publishing it? I decided 'no' and 'yes' to the above so will only give it out to folks once I've spoken to them verbally or by email. Just a thought.

I think the enquiry form is a bit light... there's merit in keeping it short & simple but you could take it a bit further.

The pics in the photo gallery don't expand? Is that intentional or haven't you got to that yet? As they are, they're too small.

Overall it's a lot better than many I've seen :o Why brown text? My eyesight isn't the best but it's not too shabby - and I have a quality hi-res display - yet lots of the text looks blurry to me... especially as the font size reduces.

Corabar Steve
22-02-2008, 09:43 AM
10. Signatures: You can set up a signature to appear at the end of every post you make via the User CP tab. Signatures may not contain more than 3 lines of standard-sized text, plus a brief description of the towns/counties/areas you cover as a DJ. Signatures may contain up to 2 links. You may alternatively add a 60 pixel high banner but this will count as 2 of your 3 permitted lines of standard-sized text. You may not add a link in your signature to a site that is similar to this.

Thank you.Um.....

rob1963
22-02-2008, 09:53 AM
Um.....

Go to the pedants forum.....NOW!

Corabar Steve
22-02-2008, 10:01 AM
Not pedantic, just pointing out the rules.

JAMdisco
22-02-2008, 10:06 AM
The main thing, if you want a professional look, is: Check and double check your spelling - one thing I found:-

Add a little fog or haze, a few bubbles, a couple of lazers and you've got an excellent lights how.

Easily done, I know, but maybe get someone to proof read before you submit it.

rob1963
22-02-2008, 10:06 AM

I thought that's what being pedantic was all about!

:D :D :D

Corabar Steve
22-02-2008, 10:09 AM
No, that's what being an admin or moderator is all about.

Now do you think we can let a thread go into at least double figures before taking it off topic?

KaraokeDJ
22-02-2008, 10:13 AM

It worked - pedantic or not - is my signature ok now?

One Vision
22-02-2008, 10:19 AM
Hya Martin overall very good in its design and simplicity, loads fast too which is a huge bonus.
I agree that the images are a bit small so probably use a method of the option of enlarging them but does the job intended.
As for how much feedback you have etc. I dont personally see that as a particular problem as it may well work in your favour, for future feedback it may be worth using a couple of images from the respective events of feedback in conjunction to help illustrate.

Overall though you have a very good informative, easy to navigate and pleasant to look at website which I reckon will do as it was intended very well indeed.
:thumbs_up:

Corabar Steve
22-02-2008, 10:31 AM
It worked - pedantic or not - is my signature ok now?
Yep! :sj:

Marc J
22-02-2008, 10:34 AM
I think it's a nice site, has a classy look to it. Just a few (picky) points: -

1. The header should link back to the home page all the time (just one of those things people expect in navigation).

2. The header has no alt or title tag.

3. You've underlined great reputation on your home page. I tend not to underline things on websites as visitors expect anything underlined to be a link to somewhere else. Use bold to emphasise any text.

4. As others have pointed out, there seems to be an overlap with testimonials and feedback, resulting in a never ending loop between them. Additionally, your feedback forms break out of your page design altogether, it'd be nice if these were wrapped with the header / navigation / footer to match the rest of the site.

5. As already mentioned, gallery pics would be better enlarged - there are countless free PHP (or even CSS) Photo Gallery scripts around which you could use.

KaraokeDJ
22-02-2008, 10:48 AM
The main thing: Check and double check your spelling - "lights how" ...
Thanks for spotting that. I've fixed it.

... over-emphasizes customer feedback. ... and the FAQ page also has 5 links to more customer feedback!

the customer feedback - yes it's great to have and a good sales tool, but it's too prevalent.

I've taken 4 of the 5 links out of the FAQ page. I am a big fan of feedback and testimonials but I do see your point, the site does rant about previous customers a lot.

Secondly, the photos on the gallery page are quite small & not that easy to see. I think it would be better if clicking on each one brought up a larger version.

The pics in the photo gallery don't expand? Is that intentional or haven't you got to that yet? As they are, they're too small.

There are plenty of nice simple 'hover' scripts around that might be a good alternative.

That is something I need to work on. I know there are loads of ways of doing it but haven't got to it yet. I'm not surprised that was mentioned.

PAT/PLI stuff being categorised as "Legal" . . . I'm the first person to flag-wave about PAT & PLI but maybe rethink the category title - 'Safety' perhaps?

Good point, changed to "Safety".

Combine 'feedback' and 'testimonials' into a single page? The FAQ's page is hard work and I gave up after a couple of para's. Find a more visually appealing way of presenting the detail.

Maybe I need to strip that page down a lot! Thanks for the comment about it.

Have you considered an 0800 or 0845 number that you can divert to mobile/landline/Martin/Donna as appropriate? Then you could simply say "Call XXXX Anytime" rather than giving the potential customer rules about when and who to call.

I'm considering that. I have, in the meantime, removed the blurb about times that we are at the landline etc.,

Do general web surfers need to know your postal address?
Another good point, I've just removed it.

I think the enquiry form is a bit light... there's merit in keeping it short & simple but you could take it a bit further.

What more do I really need to ask?

Why brown text?
If it bothers you it might bother other people and therefore I've changed the bulk of text to 'easy on the eye' black.

Hya Martin overall very good in its design and simplicity, loads fast too which is a huge bonus.
I agree that the images are a bit small so probably use a method of the option of enlarging them but does the job intended.
As for how much feedback you have etc. I dont personally see that as a particular problem as it may well work in your favour, for future feedback it may be worth using a couple of images from the respective events of feedback in conjunction to help illustrate.

Thanks for the compliments (Karl) and for the great constructive advice to everyone. As you can see - I do listen!

KaraokeDJ
22-02-2008, 10:57 AM
I think it's a nice site, has a classy look to it. Just a few (picky) points: -
Thank you.

1. The header should link back to the home page all the time (just one of those things people expect in navigation).
2. The header has no alt or title tag.
3. You've underlined great reputation on your home page. I tend not to underline things on websites as visitors expect anything underlined to be a link to somewhere else. Use bold to emphasise any text.
All three of the above have now been rectified. Thank you for the suggestions.

4...your feedback forms break out of your page design altogether, it'd be nice if these were wrapped with the header / navigation / footer to match the rest of the site.
Yes, I need to do that because it does spoil it when the image of the feedback comes in an otherwise empty window.

5. there are countless free PHP (or even CSS) Photo Gallery scripts around which you could use.
I am looking for one that will do the job. I am trying to stay away from Flash and all the extra plugins required.

pagan_flame
23-02-2008, 08:37 AM
You've missed the style sheet tags on the ---

"Home | Contact Details

All content copyright 2008 Martin Koss

UK Wedding Directory"

--- parts at the bottom of each page, meaning they appear in default Times New Roman in contrast to the rest of the page.

More Meta Tags for them search engines as well! ;)