PDA

View Full Version : suspicious email

scoopd
08-03-2008, 11:33 AM
Just had a suspicious email that was asking about availability for a date and also for personal details about me and was just wondering if anyone else has had one like this in the last few days?

wensleydale
08-03-2008, 11:34 AM
what kind of personal details?

Corabar Steve
08-03-2008, 11:41 AM
Sounds like a "Nigerian" type spam

scoopd
08-03-2008, 11:42 AM
They were asking for a home phone number and address, which I can understand
but there were a couple of other aspects that I found a little iffy.
I was just curious to see if anyone else had emails of this ilk in the last
few days.

I guess you just have to use your instincts these days about divulging
personal info before you know the client is genuine

CRAZY K
08-03-2008, 03:41 PM
They were asking for a home phone number and address, which I can understand
but there were a couple of other aspects that I found a little iffy.
I was just curious to see if anyone else had emails of this ilk in the last
few days.

I guess you just have to use your instincts these days about divulging
personal info before you know the client is genuine

Apart from enquiring where you are based loosely--people dont ask much else about your personal details--

Are we talking bank account numbers here--you havent really told us anything about the "other aspects"

CRAZY K

wensleydale
08-03-2008, 03:42 PM
inside leg?
whether you like cheese?

scoopd
08-03-2008, 03:50 PM
no.just very unusual spelling

wensleydale
08-03-2008, 03:54 PM
was it from callum?

Corabar Steve
08-03-2008, 04:26 PM
Something like the "enquiry" in this thread? (http://www.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=2358&highlight=Scam)

axeman
25-03-2008, 01:50 PM
just got this today - what do you think?

Good day,

I'm Mathew and my fiancee Mary are planning to have our wedding in the month of May.I have decided to give her a well treated package by giving her three options of venue of celebration amongst UK,Canada and USA.Based on her option, she has decided to choose UK.Therefore I am in need of necessary services.I will be in need of your service to be the DJ of our wedding Reception which will be taking place in Your Country.

Please make a list of your available Saturday between 3rd to 31st of May 2008 and Let me know your charges for your required services if you are to work for at most five Hours on that day.We will want you to work for at least five Hours at the occasion.I will also like you to help me to check the availability of a wedding hall closest to you against any of your available day which will be condusive for about 100 to 120 of my expected guests which will be comming from various locations accross the globe to attend our memorable date.

We hope it will be a memorable day having our great day Celebrated in UK.Please get back to me as soon as possible,so that we can put your quotes into financial consideration.

Thanks,

Mathew and Mary.

CRAZY K
25-03-2008, 01:55 PM
just got this today - what do you think?

Its a wind up.

DELETE

regards

CRAZY K

Corabar Steve
25-03-2008, 04:11 PM
They obviously don't know which end of the country they want their do. We got it too.

Solitaire Events Ltd
25-03-2008, 04:19 PM
They obviously don't know which end of the country they want their do. We got it too.

Me too.

People have been sending these for years now - it makes me wonder why people just don't delete them straight away. They are so obviously some kind of scam.

Corabar Steve
25-03-2008, 04:25 PM
I usually do, after I've had a read & a good laugh

scoopd
23-10-2008, 09:51 AM
Here's another which came in today for the benefit of people who might not recognise them:
Hello Sir,

My name is williams Bommer. I am a Mechanical Engineer by profession. Presently i am in Liverpool . My lovely daughter found her heartthrob early last year and they are going to wed by 3th January,2009. For the love i have for my daughter, i decided to carter for the wedding as a surprise package for her and her fiance.
Please i want you to handle the wedding arrangements on their behalf as my would-be in law is a citizen of your country and as a result he wants the wedding in his country. Please get back to me with any of the services which you can provide as regards the wedding arrangement of my daughter.- location for the wedding and reception.- lodging for the guests for an estimate of eighty (80) people with break fast(2nd - 6th) January.2009- Hotel transfers for the 80 guest - Dinner party Wedding Budget is at the range of EUR 55,000 for now. it could be reviewed to be increased or reduced latter depending on the outcome of the arrangments process unfold Please do let me have the details of all i should know so we can make about the services you can provide as regards the arrangment.. Estimates and calculations should be based on the quoted budget..Do get back to me asap through my yahoo email:
williams bommer

discomobiledj
23-10-2008, 10:11 AM
Tell them they can stay at yours, you can hold the ceremony and provide everything for 60,000 euros

Javlingames
23-10-2008, 11:55 AM
Tell them they can stay at yours, you can hold the ceremony and provide everything for 60,000 euros

Hahaha

scoopd
23-10-2008, 03:34 PM
I think I'll do the Wedding "Carter" ing too!

rob1963
23-10-2008, 03:40 PM
It's easy to tell whether these emails are genuine.

If the spelling, grammar & punctuation are as chronic as what you see on this forum, it's definately a scam!

;)

scoopd
23-10-2008, 03:44 PM
Don't you think 0.001% must fall for it otherwise why would they bother makig it up?

Cj_The_Dj
23-10-2008, 04:07 PM
Good day,

I'm Mathew and my fiancee Mary are planning to have our wedding in the month of May.I have decided to give her a well treated package by giving her three options of venue of celebration amongst UK,Canada and USA.Based on her option, she has decided to choose UK.Therefore I am in need of necessary services.I will be in need of your service to be the DJ of our wedding Reception which will be taking place in Your Country.

Please make a list of your available Saturday between 3rd to 31st of May 2008 and Let me know your charges for your required services if you are to work for at most five Hours on that day.We will want you to work for at least five Hours at the occasion.I will also like you to help me to check the availability of a wedding hall closest to you against any of your available day which will be condusive for about 100 to 120 of my expected guests which will be comming from various locations accross the globe to attend our memorable date.

We hope it will be a memorable day having our great day Celebrated in UK.Please get back to me as soon as possible,so that we can put your quotes into financial consideration.

Thanks,

Mathew and Mary.

i got the same email last year and went thought with it like a :Censored: and got a cheuqe for £1950 and i narley feel over lol. then i got a email saying i had to foward the money on, so then i went to my local shop as i know the people there and they can cash cheques so i ask them if it was fake. they rang a number and guess what, it was. so i took it to the police and they took it from me and i had to took the emails in too. but ive heard nothing.

501damian501
23-10-2008, 04:09 PM
the next thing, they going to be going to send you a dodgy bankers draft, which looks genuin, but is infacted genuin but stolen form another bank. they will offer you alot more than whats needed, say the job is £700, they would send you a draft for £2,000 and tell you to send the rest back to them once that has cleared, then you will be x amount in debt with the bank, while they roam free, but most banks are clocked onto this thing nowadays. never give out personal details like that over email, always request a private meeting with the client, also watch out for words spelt wrong, the reason they bother making it up is infact to make money, these scammers, get email addresses on a mass bulk and send emails on a mass scale, its a big operation they run. cheers damian

p.s maybe we should do a sticky on how to notice a fake email coming from the scammers ?

rob1963
23-10-2008, 04:22 PM
Don't you think 0.001% must fall for it otherwise why would they bother makig it up?

Exactly.

I recently saw something about this on television, which I seem to remember said that the number of people in the UK falling victim to these scams in a year is somewhere around the million mark!

:jawdrop:

501damian501
23-10-2008, 04:30 PM
did you know people can apply to your local council and get basicly all your details and use them for advertisments?, also these scammers will most probley buy email address databases from people then email bomb on a mass, and they get away with it !

that email will be sent to 3 different countrys, has they only need to change one word - she has decided to choose UK - and thats being the country you live in, so their easy to edit and basicly take no time to mass produce.

Corabar Steve
23-10-2008, 04:38 PM
It's easy to tell whether these emails are genuine.

If the spelling, grammar & punctuation are as chronic as what you see on this forum, it's definately a scam!

;)What like this you mean?

the next thing, they going to be going to send you a dodgy bankers draft, which looks genuin, but is infacted genuin but stolen form another bank. they will offer you alot more than whats needed, say the job is £700, they would send you a draft for £2,000 and tell you to send the rest back to them once that has cleared, then you will be x amount in debt with the bank, while they roam free, but most banks are clocked onto this thing nowadays. never give out personal details like that over email, always request a private meeting with the client, also watch out for words spelt wrong, the reason they bother making it up is infact to make money, these scammers, get email addresses on a mass bulk and send emails on a mass scale, its a big operation they run. cheers damian

p.s maybe we should do a sticky on how to notice a fake email coming from the scammers ?

:sj:

discomobiledj
23-10-2008, 04:50 PM
I was thinking the same. I know kids these days don't like going to school but surely spelling started in infant/primary school?

501damian501
23-10-2008, 04:52 PM
who said i went to school cheers damian 666

Corabar Steve
23-10-2008, 04:53 PM
You did. I've seen the Omen.

discomobiledj
23-10-2008, 04:58 PM
Forget The Rest, Were The Best

BTW, whilst we are on the subject it should be

"Forget The Rest, We're The Best"

The way you have it means you were the best.

501damian501
23-10-2008, 05:00 PM
:confused:

discomobiledj
23-10-2008, 05:02 PM
Quickly changed.

501damian501
23-10-2008, 05:06 PM
changed what :confused: cheers damian :beer1: :D