PDA

View Full Version : Dreamweaver and Flash

Dreamstar Entertainment
08-03-2008, 11:43 PM
Please can someone help me!!!! I had a mate who designed all of my website for me for free, it was a bargain at the time but we have since fallen out and he now wants to charge me £30 an hour for any changes! I have the dreamweaver and flash programmes he uses to make changes but i am totally lost and cant work out what to do! does anyone use these programmes and if so please help! I dont even know where to start

Harrison's Discos
09-03-2008, 12:52 AM
Can you see any programme brand or manufacturer who produces the software/programme anywhere? If so they might have a website to explain how to use it.

You could also try to google the software because there may be a website that explains how to use it all.

BeerFunk
09-03-2008, 01:42 AM
£30 an hour isn't all that bad if he knows what he's doing. The thing is, if you're running a business, then website development is really an essential expense - so I'd say it's worth paying out for. If you've fallen out, then the golden rule really does exist - don't mix business and pleasure :)

pagan_flame
09-03-2008, 02:27 AM
£30 an hour isn't all that bad if he knows what he's doing.
... however the days where you could charge that money for websites are long gone - if they were, I'd still be doing it for a living!

Dreamweaver & Flash are Macromedia products, each program has its own comprehensive Help and Tutorial sections. Flash takes a bit of getting your head around to make it work properly, but Dreamweaver is easy peasy.

Tom
09-03-2008, 02:21 PM
Adobe own dreamweaver, flash, fireworks, freehand ect ect.

Maby have a look on there website and see if there any help guides on there???

Marc J
09-03-2008, 05:09 PM
If you are www.dreamstar-entertainment.co.uk then you may hit a few problems.

The PHP / HTML parts of the site can be changed easily enough (although you'll need a local test server installed for seeing PHP edits locally). However, to edit the PHP components you'll need FTP access to the server to download the PHP files (the pages you see when visiting the site may be constructed on-the-fly from numerous elements - header, navigation, footer etc.).

Your (ex) friend may not be willing to give you FTP access as this would allow you access to these source files, which are essentially his intellectual property.

Also, there are Flash elements of the site which, even if you had FTP access, you would only be able to download the SWF files and not the source FLA files, i.e. the ones you need if you want to edit the Flash. Again, your (ex) friend would need to give you these FLA files which he may not be willing to do.

My recommendation - ask him for the source FLA files and FTP access. If you already have FTP access download the whole site as soon as possible. Also, change passwords for things like FTP and hosting control panel / emails etc. (if he has these).

Are you talking about a lot of changes or the odd one now and again? I would say it's hardly worth learning the applications for the odd change. Or you could just move hosts (http://www.djbids.co.uk/auctiondetails.php?itemname=Website-Hosting&id=377), I wouldn't charge you £30 per hour for changes either ;) (but you'd still need the source files from your ex-friend).

djsteve10
09-03-2008, 09:36 PM
if you are not confident at building your own website and using these tools why not go for a site builder like darren has and alot of other users on here.

Streamline do some quite good deals and also have some good designs to choose from too.

Dreamstar Entertainment
10-03-2008, 10:41 AM
erm ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh i didnt realise it would all be so complicated! I think i'll just leave it where it is at the moment! Thanks for all your replies but im now even more lost than before i asked ha ha!

Marc::::

Thanks i'll keep changing to 'another host' :wink: in mind!

Royalblue
03-04-2008, 12:54 PM
erm ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh i didnt realise it would all be so complicated! I think i'll just leave it where it is at the moment! Thanks for all your replies but im now even more lost than before i asked ha ha!

Marc::::

Thanks i'll keep changing to 'another host' :wink: in mind!

Right as an ICT teacher could I recommend this website:
http://www.teach-ict.net/software/dreamweaver/dreamweaver.htm
It might be for school kids but it really is helpful. There are flash ones on there as well.

Dreamstar Entertainment
04-04-2008, 11:03 AM
royal blue:::: great thanks :)