PDA

View Full Version : Very approximate ball-park figure...

PropellerHeadCase
09-03-2008, 10:41 PM
What sort of budget should I put aside for a large-ish car/small-ish van (four seater+), second-hand, nothing too fancy, just reliable? It seems that what I have here in NZ, the Mitsubishi L300 Sportpac, is relatively unusual in the UK so I can't seem to find any second-hand pricing for one.

Thanks in advance.

Oh, I should mention that part of my comparison shopping problem is that vans particularly seem to masquerade under different names in the UK Vs. NZ :(

flatliners
09-03-2008, 11:35 PM
look a mag called auto trader if you can get where you live or you may have something like it has lots of vans for sale or over ere we have a mag called which it does tests on stuff cars vans tv hifi ect

kilmeedyman
10-03-2008, 01:15 AM
Should we assume that you want to buy one over here?

To translate what flatliners said....

There is a regular publication in the uk called autotrader which you can look at online for yourself to identify the type of vehicle you want and the price they go for. http://www.autotrader.co.uk

Hope that helps.

PropellerHeadCase
10-03-2008, 04:11 AM
Thank you, Monsieur Kilmeedy.

Yeah, we have Autotrader, here, too.

I guess the supplementary question would be to find out a good large car/small van for a family of four/DJ equipment that is easy to get spares for/keep up.

Make and model? Something-or-other 'Partner', etc.

CRAZY K
10-03-2008, 10:08 AM
Thank you, Monsieur Kilmeedy.

Yeah, we have Autotrader, here, too.

I guess the supplementary question would be to find out a good large car/small van for a family of four/DJ equipment that is easy to get spares for/keep up.

Make and model? Something-or-other 'Partner', etc.

This is a minefield AL, as second hand prices have collapsed here you should get a decent second hand car for a decent price--

As well as Autotrader theres ebay of course:eek:

Personally I would try and buy from a local trader that gives some sort of warranty after purchase--hire a car/van here until you have something sorted out--

I doubt anyone would agree but my choice would be a modern Ford Mondeo Estate--look on Autotrader UK or ebay for prices.

Been running mine for many years.

Its old and been fantastically reliable--

Im sure there will be plenty of other suggestions though.

regards

ALAN
CRAZY K

Excalibur
10-03-2008, 11:22 AM
This is a minefield AL, as second hand prices have collapsed here you should get a decent second hand car for a decent price--

As well as Autotrader theres ebay of course:eek:

Personally I would try and buy from a local trader that gives some sort of warranty after purchase--hire a car/van here until you have something sorted out--

I doubt anyone would agree but my choice would be a modern Ford Mondeo Estate--look on Autotrader UK or ebay for prices.

Its old and been fantastically reliable--

Im sure there will be plenty of other suggestions though.

regards

ALAN
CRAZY K

Agreed, although there can be issues with the fuel systems on Mondeo/Transit turbo diesels. My dad recently had the turbo replaced on an 04 Mondeo at a cost of £800 for parts, when it's only a minor fault in a valve inside it!!!!!!

CRAZY K
10-03-2008, 12:47 PM
Agreed, although there can be issues with the fuel systems on Mondeo/Transit turbo diesels. My dad recently had the turbo replaced on an 04 Mondeo at a cost of £800 for parts, when it's only a minor fault in a valve inside it!!!!!!

Isnt that the story of the modern car though:eek:

Anything goes wrong---replace major parts.

Which is why im keeping mine going.

CRAZY K

Vectis
10-03-2008, 02:58 PM
What sort of budget should I put aside for a large-ish car/small-ish van (four seater+), second-hand, nothing too fancy, just reliable?

£5 - 7k should address all stated requirements ;)

PropellerHeadCase
10-03-2008, 08:29 PM
hire a car/van here until you have something sorted out--

Yep, hiring a Ford Mondeo for the first month, need to buy before giving it back, obviously.

£5 - 7k should address all stated requirements ;)

Thank you.

Depressing, really, on the exchange rate that equates to $12k-$18k - I could get two decent second-hand vans for that here. In fact you could buy a brand new hatch for a little over $18k.

Tom
10-03-2008, 08:41 PM
I dont know if you can get Nissan over there but the the 2004 and up nissan primera estate had a large boot. Should be able to get a good one for 5-6k.

Vectis
10-03-2008, 08:50 PM
Depressing, really, on the exchange rate that equates to $12k-$18k - I could get two decent second-hand vans for that here.

You could go cheaper, but you'd almost inevitably be buying some problems or making compromises. £5-7k should get you a good quality runner under 3 years old with service history and possibly a little warranty.

I only spent £1500 on my van, but it's 2 seats, scruffy and 10 years old. But then it only just covered 1000 miles between annual MOT tests and I've got a car as well for just-in-case.