PDA

View Full Version : accountants

blitz
13-03-2008, 11:48 AM
Looking for an accountant to do my tax return etc, what is the going rate to get this done, don`t want to get ripped off

Solitaire Events Ltd
13-03-2008, 12:05 PM
How long is a piece of string?

It depends what you want an accountant to do. Whether you are going to give him a carrier bag full of receipts or spreadsheets for them to audit.

Excalibur
13-03-2008, 12:23 PM
I can't give you any idea of figures, but I reckon they cover their costs in what they save you. Mine appears to be expensive( £500 per year for two small businesses ) but I know he more than justifies that in what he earns/saves me.

Spirits High
13-03-2008, 01:26 PM
It depends what you want an accountant to do. Whether you are going to give him a carrier bag full of receipts

That'll be me then!

Mine charges £20 per month and does everything like it says above I just give him a bag of reciepts and a sheet with gigs, mileages etc.

he does the rest, well worth it as i get back more than what I pay him so happy days all round.:D

Ace DJ
13-03-2008, 01:41 PM
I give my accountant all my earnings and expenditure ie: Telephone, car, postages, internet and hosting, stationary, capital expences and all other sundry expences with receipts and bank statements info. He files the tax returns and gives a statement of accounts. I have used him for the past 15 years and he charges £225. Well worth it.

Ace

Royalblue
13-03-2008, 01:42 PM
My accountant is free - aka my wife. Trouble is she's always pestering me for receipts and then tells me off for spending too much money. So free financially i guess!:rolleyes:

Dragonfly
13-03-2008, 01:48 PM
150 quid a year and if i could i'd give the fella a knighthood.

Vectis
13-03-2008, 02:13 PM
My accountant is free - aka my wife.

You must have an odd marriage if you think wives come free my friend... :eek:

Royalblue
13-03-2008, 02:48 PM
You must have an odd marriage if you think wives come free my friend... :eek:

Well free in that it doesn't cost me any money...er hang on a sec! No actually it would probably be cheaper to employ an entire firm of accountants.

blitz
13-03-2008, 03:35 PM
right got a meeting with an accountant on tuesday, with the breif conversation on the phone he recond £350 a year, what i gathered from the conversation he gives me somekind of software to do my books on he then does my tax return at the end of the year, does this sound about right

Vectis
13-03-2008, 04:47 PM
Well I don't use an accountant (do my own) but that sounds like an awful lot given that you'll be doing most of the work yourself :confused:

Better take the opinions of those who do use one....

Solitaire Events Ltd
13-03-2008, 05:19 PM
I think I used to pay between £200 - £350 before I incorporated.

blitz
13-03-2008, 07:08 PM
thats why i started this thread to get an idea if i was being over charged or not

Solitaire Events Ltd
13-03-2008, 07:49 PM
thats why i started this thread to get an idea if i was being over charged or not

That's the point though, no-one can tell you that unless you know exactly what the accountant will be doing for you.

I pay a lot more than you were quoted, but then I run a Ltd Co and am Vat registered and that is a hell of a lot more involved.

kilmeedyman
13-03-2008, 11:12 PM
blitz, he will get you to buy a copy of either Sage or Quickbooks.
That way you can enter your own invoices (out and in) and he then can pick up the data file and do the financial analysis.

Pretty standard nowadays and £350 sounds reasonable.

rob1963
13-03-2008, 11:57 PM
I do my own accounts, but I find it easy with my organizational skills and having the knowledge acquired from working in a bank for 24 years!

I also know a professional accountant, and I know I can always ring her up for advice if there is anything I'm not sure of.

Tom
14-03-2008, 12:26 AM
I will be doing my own this year has i havent done a lot of gigs so i dont see the point of paying out a few hundred pounds were i can sort it out myself for free.

My other half and her mum both work for HM Revenue so if i need help i'll just ask them. From april 08 to april 09, if i do get a lot of bookings then i will pay for an accountant. Just easier.