PDA

View Full Version : Lighting meet

5tatman
13-03-2008, 05:58 PM
right, even thou the speaker meet was a bit of a let down ,(attendance wise) i am going to try and organise a lighting meet, as there seems quite a bit of intrest in one. proberlby get a lighting manufacturer, laser manufac, and possible a shop that sells both makes to help get people down there with special deals on the day.
have some diffrent makes/types of lights down there etc,

but one of the things we're looking at doing is having a dmx seminar/lesson type thing, were the basics of dmx are coverd. i know it's a bit of a scary subject for some , espcially with tca-6 and micro controllers out there, but some people want to know but need some guidence.

your thoughts please and does anyone know where we can get a good deal on a marquee for 40/50people in leicester for a sunday?

if you have any thogughts or ideas please post and all will be considered. if you marquee details please contact me via phone/email/pm

cheers.

Dave

Sam
13-03-2008, 06:15 PM
Learn to spell / use a spell checker and I might take the idea seriously.

But seriously though.. I wouldn't be interested and I don't think many others would. Maybe the attendance of your last try is a bit of a give away about the quality of the idea.

Heres a though: if people don't know about DMX... all it takes is to use a bit of trial and error with a controller - it really is that simple. They just need to take the time to read the manual and work out how to do it - using their brain! Simple.

Not sure why they would want to go to a event in a marquee thing just to see some lights... they can just go to a DJ shop and see them in action.

I find it highly unlikely that you will get manafacturers to go. Especially any interesting big companies who actually make quality units.

What makes you so good at the subject that you can tell others how to do it?
Wouldn't want to think they would get bad habits....

But like I said. my main point really is that fact that DMX is easy. You just need to give a little time to it and sit down and learn how to use your kit properly. If you don't want to .. then stick to use master / slave plug and play. Which quite a few DJs do batherway! - - - So really that's a second point. The ones who want to use DMX *DO AND WILL* even if it involves learning. The ones who can;t be bothered with it *WONT*.. I don't think it is a case that they don't because they don't know how!!

So no.. I think it is a bad idea.

5tatman
13-03-2008, 06:31 PM
it wouldn't be me personally doing the instruction as i don't know it well enought to teach. you wouldn't need to got to the seminar if you didn't want to it's not compulsery. the idea is that we have diffrent guys turning up with diffrent makes and types so show what they use, give ideas to others, and other to get tips.

as i said one of the major casues for the lack of turn out at the speaker meet was the date was finalised late only a couple of months. Plus there were a lot of poeple who said yes then didn't, this was the most dissapointing.

i already have one manufactuer who have agreed to sponser the event. i just need to set the date, which may or ay not be depending on other factors at this moment of time but yeah hoping to get the date sorted very quickly.

not many shops i know, have or make time to show people how to dmx their controllers. i do on my par cans, and when i get the time i will do my main lights at the momment i'm using a micro controller.
dmxing is a lot better than using these, but they are a great quick way other than using s2l.

at the end of the day it may not be for you, fair enough, but there maybe other who it would be very helpfull.

Paul James Promotions
13-03-2008, 06:33 PM
Bit of a negative response there Sam. It's not just about DJ's being able to see and compare lighting effects and learn new things, but an oppurtunity for people to meet, network and discuss issues that will maybe help in moving the industry forward.

It's actually nice to see people making the effort to try new things.

Jamie

Solitaire Events Ltd
13-03-2008, 07:01 PM

You act like very spoiled rude litle boy at times Sam.

Why not try and be pleasant to people.

DJWilson
13-03-2008, 07:05 PM
right, even thou the speaker meet was a bit of a let down ,(attendance wise) i am going to try and organise a lighting meet, as there seems quite a bit of intrest in one. proberlby get a lighting manufacturer, laser manufac, and possible a shop that sells both makes to help get people down there with special deals on the day.
have some diffrent makes/types of lights down there etc,

but one of the things we're looking at doing is having a dmx seminar/lesson type thing, were the basics of dmx are coverd. i know it's a bit of a scary subject for some , espcially with tca-6 and micro controllers out there, but some people want to know but need some guidence.

your thoughts please and does anyone know where we can get a good deal on a marquee for 40/50people in leicester for a sunday?

if you have any thogughts or ideas please post and all will be considered. if you marquee details please contact me via phone/email/pm

cheers.

Dave

Hi, you could contact Jon (Ellaskins) on youtube, he has organised quite a few things and gone very well. He doing a DJ school in wales soon. a lot of intrest

www.youtube.com/ellaskins (http://www.youtube.com/ellaskins)

DJWilson
13-03-2008, 07:07 PM

Thats a bit outters.

For all we know dave may have a selling issue which he cannot help.

Sam
13-03-2008, 07:17 PM
You act like very spoiled rude litle boy at times Sam.

Why not try and be pleasant to people.

I think that can be sent right back to you sometimes Darren.

Nice to see you've edited the title of the topic... =)

Danno13
13-03-2008, 07:22 PM
You can express an opinion without being rude though.

And talking about arrogance..

Heres a though: if people don't know about DMX... all it takes is to use a bit of trial and error with a controller - it really is that simple. They just need to take the time to read the manual and work out how to do it - using their brain! Simple.

So everyone who doesn't understand DMX is just stupid and/or not trying hard enough?

And ignorance....

Not sure why they would want to go to a event in a marquee thing just to see some lights... they can just go to a DJ shop and see them in action.

I find it highly unlikely that you will get manafacturers to go. Especially any interesting big companies who actually make quality units.

Not everyone has local DJ shops, and if you'd have been to any of the previous speaker shows you'd appreciate the advantage of being able to see such a wide range of gear in a proper live environment, and talk to the owners about how it works for them and get an unbiased view.

Any why wouldn't any manufacturers be interested? They certainley have been at the last two coalville shows... and if imagine if Paul Arnett had took that attitude when he first started organising DJ Show North!

Luckily, not everyone is quite so negative as you and is interested enough to attend shows like that, if anything, just for the social side. I'll certainley be travelling up again.

groovy-nights
13-03-2008, 07:27 PM
Yep i will be there again.Hopefully get the chance to have a beer or two this time.Was good to put names to faces last week.

Sam
13-03-2008, 07:34 PM
You can express an opinion without being rude though.

So everyone who doesn't understand DMX is just stupid and/or not trying hard enough?

I think to a large extent if you don't understand DMX you have not given it enough time and attention - yes. The concepts are simple to grasp once you have put a little bit of practice in. And don't twist my words - you know full well that I never said that you were stupid if you didn't understand DMX and you know that isn't what I was trying to imply!

Each to their own. It isn't my cup of tea and I tried to give my reasoning as to why. Something which I pressume I am allowed to do on a discussion forum and something I am sure you all do. Certainly Darren can become quite arrogant and what can be seen as rude at times - in my opinion. But so what? It's a forum. If you don't like that sort of thing and having a mix of opinions - correct or incorrect.. why bother?

DJWilson
13-03-2008, 07:39 PM
I think to a large extent if you don't understand DMX you have not given it enough time and attention - yes. The concepts are simple to grasp once you have put a little bit of practice in. And don't twist my words - you know full well that I never said that you were stupid if you didn't understand DMX.

What Daniel is saying that you are hinting that in your use of language

Sam
13-03-2008, 07:41 PM
What Daniel is saying that you are hinting that in your use of language

Yes, Thank you Nathan... I had established that myself.

Penfold42
13-03-2008, 07:43 PM
Play nicely!

DJWilson
13-03-2008, 07:45 PM
Yes, Thank you Nathan... I had established that myself.

So he's not twisting your words he is just putting them in a different perspective

Solitaire Events Ltd
13-03-2008, 07:46 PM
Certainly Darren can become quite arrogant and what can be seen as rude at times - in my opinion.

I am never arrogant or rude on purpose Sam and I suggest you keep your opinions to yourself if you can't work out a better way to put things.

It wasn't that long ago, you didn't know anything about DMX, lighting or indeed the industry.

Now that you are leaving to go on to train as a pilot, you seem to have the impression that you are slightly better than everyone else.

You are welcome to your opinion, but if you carry on being rude and slightly aggressive in your postings then I will moderate you.

dmckaraoke
13-03-2008, 07:52 PM
Sometimes afraid to say what we really think on here....

But his comments are that of a 17 year old..Maturity always shines....

Just my thoughts..Sorry

Ps If it was in my area i would be well up for it mate..

Sam
13-03-2008, 07:54 PM
Play nicely!
Aw. do we have toooo? :rolleyes:

So he's not twisting your words he is just putting them in a different perspective
If someone puts ones words in a different persepective.. could that not be peceived as twisting them? :confused: **mind boggles**

I am never arrogant or rude on purpose Sam and I suggest you keep your opinions to yourself if you can't work out a better way to put things.

It wasn't that long ago, you didn't know anything about DMX, lighting or indeed the industry.

Now that you are leaving to go on to train as a pilot, you seem to have the impression that you are slightly better than everyone else.

You are welcome to your opinion, but if you carry on being rude and slightly aggressive in your postings then I will moderate you.

Look Darren,
I am not arrogant or rude on purpose either. but I obviously come across that way when I am typing things on the forum - for which I appoligse.

And yes indeed. But I learnt and I am often willing to help others learn - I am always offering to take people through it and things like working the controller on msn or giving hints on the forum..

I don't think i am better than everyone else. I just have opinions and obviously I need to work on the way I express them on here.

Like I said. I applogise if I come across as being aggresive or arrogant and rude - it is not intentional.

Let me know if you decide to moderate me....

Tom
14-03-2008, 12:32 AM
Sam....chill out. :eek:

5tatman
30-08-2008, 01:39 AM
anyway........

I'll be honest and say it's been a bit quiet on this front at present, I have been working on a new website for my discos, trying to get my day job up and running, and having the kids off on holiday for the 6 weeks has meant I wasn't left with much spare time for myself. But hey, the kids go back on Tuesday, my web site is nearly done (just some fine tuning of djevent) and my day job is now ticking over, so by the end of next week I can give definates, but so far the story is is this:

EVL are confirmed - And hopefully demonstrating some products that they have designed and built themselves, LED as well apparently.

To be confirmed are Oz and Ultimax - last I heard was that Ultimax might come in a shared venture with Oz so hopefully some presence should be there from Ultimax. Confirmation any day now.

A DMX seminar with Q+A. I did have two people say that they were prepared to do this but further commitment was not forth coming earlier in the year. If you would like to do it and feel confident enough to talk on the subject. then please feel free to put your name forward. If not I will hold it covering the basics with a demonstration and back up from Fish from EVL so between us we should be able to cover most things.I am pretty committed to make this (DMX seminar) happen, as when originally mentioned there was quite a bit of support for this.

Obviously with Oz selling there will be things to buy but we will also have a 2nd hand stand a la the speaker meet.

Room(For staying over) prices will be confirmed, but the deal we had last time was £5 discount if you mentioned the show on booking, but I think the room was £30, so worth staying for a social afterwards as well!
This is not a profit making venture, it is not as big as BPM, but it is for the benefit of DJs, run by DJs and supported by DJs and buisnesses. So your support, if not in the demonstrating side of things, but by your attendance would be appreciated.
If you would like to, or are prepared to demonstrate a lighting set-up, then let me know the details and how much space you need.(width and depth). I am looking at around 10 rigs depending on sizes, so if you feel you have something to contribute, or you would like some guidance on next steps and how to improve' then pop your name down

Pass the word around and lets hope it's a goodie. :D

forgot to mention , it's being held here

http://www.thecharnwoodarms.co.uk/

soundtracker
30-08-2008, 08:47 AM
Is there a date for this yet?

Excalibur
30-08-2008, 09:16 AM
Don't know that I'd be able to make it, but I for one would welcome something like that, where a Q&A on DMX was available, I'm sure many of us would be glad of some help. I shall watch with interest.

5tatman
30-08-2008, 09:29 AM
aww shi*

yes - Sunday 28th September. from 12-6ish for teh show, after party god knows. if your prepared to exibit then acess can be granted from 9am.

5tatman
08-09-2008, 08:31 AM
Just trying to get final numbers, so if everyone who is planning on coming can please name yourself below, and list whether you are displaying, looking or coming to the DMX seminar, it would be great, thanks.

Just a reminder it's on 28th September 2008 12-6 at

http://www.thecharnwoodarms.co.uk/contact.htm

The Charnwood Arms
Beveridge Lane (just off A511)
Bardon Hill
Nr Coalville
Leicestershire
LE6 1TB
Telephone : 01530 813644

Cheers

Dave