PDA

View Full Version : Website with online radio

DJWilson
22-03-2008, 01:10 PM
Hi all,

As a member of the Sittingbournes' Battle of the DJ's we have decided to make a website and have a online radio.

Does any one know a reasonable price package with the option of an online radio station. I have the full version of SAM Broadcaster but the online player for SAM costs quite a bit.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Jiggles
22-03-2008, 01:29 PM
errr Shoutcast...

djsteve10
22-03-2008, 01:44 PM
G&J i run a radio station on the internet, see my signature,
You have to have a website, good playout software such as SAM or OTS DJ and also a shoutcast server which costs around £10 a month for 128/kb/s with 50 listeners, grab my msn and add me if you fancy a chat about it!

Solitaire Events Ltd
22-03-2008, 01:52 PM
Er, how legal is this Steve?

Don't you have to pay royalties on any copyrighted tracks if you are playing them on the radio?

djsteve10
22-03-2008, 03:39 PM
100% legal.

We are PPL licesensed just to make sure,
wouldn't run a radio station without a license, big risk of getting caught but its great fun,

G&J just to advise a radio broadcasting license is around £250 a year so i would reccomend you look at this properly before you start to get any ideas, you will end up spending over £500 in the long run.

rob1963
23-03-2008, 12:19 AM
If the licence is based on the number of listeners, It's probably a few pence...

...as it's notoriously difficult to get listeners on an internet radio station, partly because there are so many stations, and partly because a computer is not as portable as a radio, and people don't usually have a computer in their car.

I used to record short comedy sketches for a friend's show on an internet radio station, and he was doing well if his audience numbers made double figures!

Tom
23-03-2008, 12:36 AM
What about doing podcasts or somthing???

djsteve10
23-03-2008, 09:12 AM
We are promoting everyday just to get the station bigger,
The licenses are based on the music you play and the quality that you broadcast at. The same license applys if you have 10 or 1000 listeners which is abit poor if you ask me.
It has taken my station around 6 months to build up a repetuable name and gain a community of listeners but they will soon get bored and move onto the next.

I like the idea of podcasts by the way Tom, This would be easy for G&J just simply take a line out of the mixer into a pc or laptop and off you go, nice and easy.

rob1963
23-03-2008, 09:56 AM
The same license applys if you have 10 or 1000 listeners which is abit poor if you ask me.

A bit poor? I think it's insane!

How can it be right for a station with 10 listeners to be paying the same for a licence as one with 1,000 listeners?

:bang: :bang: :bang:

djsteve10
23-03-2008, 12:01 PM
These are my arguments too rob,
But whats paid for is paid for.

It is so easy to set up an internet radio station but you have to know how to promote it and where.
Best advise for G&J would be to just take a line out of the mixer and then send it around to their friends and that, just make sure that it is Legal to be sending a file of that sort around!