PDA

View Full Version : Smart FTP dramas!

Spirits High
25-03-2008, 10:49 AM
Hi Guys,

I use Smart FTP to upload photos from gigs up onto my website.

The problem is that when I try to move them into the new folder they just stay in the "transfer Queue" and dont actually upload into the folder, any ideas why they're not going where I want?

I've done it before so don't think it's anything i'm doing, tried doing it yesterday but ended up leaving it as I was getting frustrated with it big time:mad:

I've made the album.txt file aswell but this doesn't want to upload either.

Yesterday I managed to get them uploaded but they didn't show as pics just as boxes with red writing in!

Any pointers would be great.

............... Help me Obi Marc, you're my only hope:D :D

Marc J
25-03-2008, 06:59 PM
Hmm...sounds a bit strange. I don't use SmartFTP myself but just downloaded and instaleld it to test, and it seemed to work fine. A few things to check: -

In the small toolbar at the top of the remote window, make sure PASV is on and that Transfer Type is set to Auto (Not Binary or ASCII).

In Tools - Settings - Connection - Cache Settings uncheck "Enable Cache".

Remember that on a unix (i.e. most) web servers folder and file names are case sensitive, I usually recommend that everything is kept lowercase to avoid confusion.

If all else fails you may have messed around with the SmartFTP settings to the point where you'll be going round in circles trying to fix things! You could always try another FTP client - Filezilla (http://filezilla-project.org/) is apparently good (and free!).

Just email me if you have any more problems / questions.

wensleydale
25-03-2008, 07:18 PM
i use ftp surfer and that works very well and is very simple

discomobiledj
25-03-2008, 07:53 PM
Core FTP is really easy to use.

Sam
25-03-2008, 08:23 PM
Core FTP is really easy to use.

Have used both FileZilla and CuteFtp and would say they're pretty good too!

Jiggles
25-03-2008, 08:49 PM
Smart FTP is the best one i have used along with cyber duck for the mac :D

Spirits High
25-03-2008, 10:01 PM
Hmm...sounds a bit strange. I don't use SmartFTP myself but just downloaded and instaleld it to test, and it seemed to work fine. A few things to check: -

In the small toolbar at the top of the remote window, make sure PASV is on and that Transfer Type is set to Auto (Not Binary or ASCII).

In Tools - Settings - Connection - Cache Settings uncheck "Enable Cache".

Remember that on a unix (i.e. most) web servers folder and file names are case sensitive, I usually recommend that everything is kept lowercase to avoid confusion.

If all else fails you may have messed around with the SmartFTP settings to the point where you'll be going round in circles trying to fix things! You could always try another FTP client - Filezilla (http://filezilla-project.org/) is apparently good (and free!).

Just email me if you have any more problems / questions.

Thanks Marc, i'll have a play with it tommorrow or I might just email you the pics:D

Managed it before so it's really annoyed me this time.

Smart FTP is the best one i have used along with cyber duck for the mac :D

Callum, I agree it is simple but for some reason it's gone Pete Tong this time.

Jiggles
26-03-2008, 09:08 AM
If its went AWOL then you may need to reinstall it. That normaly works with me when it goes Pete Tong!