PDA

View Full Version : Do i need some kind of permission?

Dreamstar Entertainment
05-04-2008, 09:58 PM
Im sorry if this has already been discussed previously but i couldnt find it if it has. Do i need permission from anyone or any sort of licence to hand out flyers on the street etc? like the ones annoying people put under your windscreen wiper and too stand in the street and hand them out? :o

Harrison's Discos
05-04-2008, 10:23 PM
No not really, if your a proper established business paying taxes, rent, and all the other legal things you need to have and live on, then i don't see any reason why you carn't.
It's like the Kebab and Pizza people putting flyers through your letterbox.

Dreamstar Entertainment
05-04-2008, 10:31 PM
does it matter that its run as a self employed business not ltd? and all 'business' is run from home? im new at all this marketing and advertising stuff and i havent got a clue where to start and what i can do without getting myself into trouble!

DazzyD
06-04-2008, 12:16 PM
For someone starting up, I think it's too soon to be thinking of forming a limited company. I would advise that you give it a try to make sure it's a viable option for you before taking the limited route as it's an extra expense to setup. Being Ltd does have it's advantages but it needs proper advice and lots of thought.

As for working from home, there are implications with this and it effects things like insurance and tax. Again, taking proper advice from a small business advisor or accountant is what you should be thinking of. These people are up to date with current rules and legislation and will be able to help you much more than I could.

Good luck, anyway!

Dreamstar Entertainment
06-04-2008, 12:35 PM
i am not looking at running it as a ltd company at the moment, things are going great as they are, i just wondered if i could still leaflet people without being ltd. i currently use alot of paid and free advertising sites which do work well i was just being curious as to whether there are any laws about flyers etc :)

theoloyla
06-04-2008, 04:10 PM
Being a limited company or whatever has no bearing on the legality of handing out leaflets BUT be aware that you DO need permission to do so on private property like supermarket car parks etc.

yourdj
06-04-2008, 04:32 PM
Not sure where you live but it is illegal to flyer in Southampton and fly post. there are loopholes like using helium balloons (they float off - not good for the environment) or if they actually accept it and your not sticking it in their face.

Ask your council. Your better off going yellow pages or putting piles of flyers in pubs/halls, shops etc.

kilmeedyman
06-04-2008, 04:47 PM
If you wanted to do that, you might find it easier to have a large amount of a5 flyers printed and pay to have them posted with the local free newspaper.
Doesn't work out too expensive that way and no licence or anything else needed.
One tip, a woggle-headed neighbour of mine had flyers printed up and distributed them via local newspapers etc. and didn't put his phone number on the thing - so no-one contacted him !!

Has been the stock 'tell in the pub' story for the last couple of months.

MrWeetabix
23-05-2008, 01:48 PM
In newcastle promotions staff (flyer staff) need to have a licence, which is around £600 per person, . As you can imagine we have a lot of bars/clubs up here who all have flyer girls/guys, the litter produced is quite an amount. The council raise this charge to cover the cost of clean up (apparently).

There are loopholes though, like the baloon idea, but there are some more down to earth ones which can be more effective.