PDA

View Full Version : Bookings thin lately. Anyone else?

KaraokeDJ
08-04-2008, 11:06 AM
:bang:

Paul James Promotions
08-04-2008, 11:09 AM
Yep, very quiet at the moment for private bookings.

Penfold42
08-04-2008, 11:12 AM
Hi guys.
I was just looking through my planner for the year and couldn;t help noticing that without repeat customers, repeat business at previous venues, I've only got a dozen or so bookings this year (last one, at present, is in October) and can't help noticing the extreme lack of new enquiries in the past few weeks.

I thought it was just the early part of the year (Jan/Feb) that were quiet but other than about 6 new enquiries in March and some repeat work, I'm struggling and somewhat down-hearted about the low level of new leads.

Perhaps this is just Lincolnshire? Has anyone else experieinced this lack of enquiries/new bookings?:bang:

Yep....same here......very quite....
But didn't start till April last year......so this stretch is a little new and frustrating....but i am using the time to sort out other bit's and bob's......

Plenty of people sending mails and plenty of phone calls....just not biting....:)

Danno13
08-04-2008, 12:06 PM
100 enquiries so far this year... 30 of them converted to bookings, happy enough with that :)

soundtracker
08-04-2008, 12:28 PM
Diary looks pretty healthy, last couple of weeks has been a bit slow

Corabar Steve
08-04-2008, 12:28 PM
Picking up again if anything. Just had confirmation of 25th & 31st Dec

Danno13
08-04-2008, 12:47 PM
Wow. That would possibly be due to your central location and ability to cover a very wide area without hours of travelling?

I do travel quite a bit. Up to about 70-80 miles sometimes and 30-40 miles is common. Furthest I'm doing this year is 115miles to just north of Nottingham, it was a referal from a wedding I did last year.

Spirits High
08-04-2008, 01:38 PM
Yep....same here......very quite....
But didn't start till April last year......
Plenty of people sending mails and plenty of phone calls....just not biting....:)

Considering I relocated form Belfast in August last year it's not actually looking that bad

100 enquiries so far this year... 30 of them converted to bookings, happy enough with that :)

Can never have too many enquirys though. got 3 confirmed for 2009!

Diary looks pretty healthy, last couple of weeks has been a bit slow

Did you get anything from the Brides mag ad? I got the sum total of nil from that!

I do travel quite a bit. Up to about 70-80 miles sometimes and 30-40 miles is common. Furthest I'm doing this year is 115miles to just north of Nottingham, it was a referal from a wedding I did last year.

up to 80 miles? I think that's about my average! Furthest i've been this year so far is Braintree.......from Chesterfield!

Penfold42
08-04-2008, 01:51 PM
Considering I relocated form Belfast in August last year it's not actually looking that bad

:moon: :moon: :moon:

:D :beer1:

Well done sir.....:)

soundtracker
08-04-2008, 01:59 PM
Did you get anything from the Brides mag ad? I got the sum total of nil from that!

Just one - mind you its a good 'un!

Sam
08-04-2008, 02:08 PM
Bookins look pretty good here... getting a good stream of enquiries in.
Shame I can't do many of them... it is a hard life.. all these holidays :D

Spirits High
08-04-2008, 02:14 PM
:moon: :moon: :moon:

:D :beer1:

Well done sir.....:)

no need for moons young man:eek: :eek:

Just one - mind you its a good 'un!

hope it covers the fee:D

Tom
08-04-2008, 03:40 PM
Its a bit thin down here aswell, well for me anyway. Just hope it picks up. :)

TonyB
08-04-2008, 03:48 PM
up to 80 miles? I think that's about my average! Furthest i've been this year so far is Braintree.......from Chesterfield!

And its just down the road from me. If you had let me know, you could of popped in for a coffee :)

theoloyla
08-04-2008, 04:12 PM
Diary is pretty full through to September 2009 and still getting plenty of enquiries (which I pass on). Nothing yet for New Year's Eve though. Last year I didnt get booked until a few months before either. I do think we may see a bit of a downturn though if the economy continues to look dodgy. If we get a recession we may well see a few cancellations and a drop in weddings.

Adam_F
08-04-2008, 04:23 PM
Mine are a little light too. Although I did have a pub res, so turned loads down, as I was there Thurs, Fri & Sats, then had to walk out on that, so not got much booked now - D'oh!
Been concentrating on a few nightclub and bar installations though, so they are keeping me busy.

ppentertainments
08-04-2008, 04:40 PM
Mine are a little light too. Although I did have a pub res, so turned loads down, as I was there Thurs, Fri & Sats, then had to walk out on that, so not got much booked now - D'oh!
Been concentrating on a few nightclub and bar installations though, so they are keeping me busy.

Big risk with residencies. If you turn down other work the day will come when you and your residency part company and it's like starting over again :mad:

theoloyla
08-04-2008, 04:46 PM
I was put into a club for 4 Wednesday nights in 1974 by my agent. It quickly became a 6 night a week residency. I was there for 7 years. During that time I continued to pay my agent his commission on the gig (although I did manage to negotiate the percentage down as 1 contract for 6 months work was not a lot of work for him!). When I eventually lost the residency I was immediately top of the list on my agent's books for mobile gigs. Lesson learned.

Adam_F
08-04-2008, 04:52 PM
Big risk with residencies. If you turn down other work the day will come when you and your residency part company and it's like starting over again :mad:

Yeah, tell me about it LoL

I was still taking booking where I could, and then cover in the pub (I provide the kit, and take a cut of their takings), but obviously its regular money not coming in now.

Still, its nice to have a few Fridays off :beer1: here and there :D and I'm gaining more experience in doing sound installations.

Spirits High
08-04-2008, 06:01 PM
And its just down the road from me. If you had let me know, you could of popped in for a coffee :)

Next time then ;)

DazzyD
08-04-2008, 07:51 PM
Things were looking slow(ish) until the last weekend. I've had a steady stream of kids parties, christenings and corporate bookings but from saturday to yesterday took on over £1000 of work (single private bookings). I know that's nowt to some of you but I charge, on average, £150 per 4hr gig.

I'm still waiting for confirmation on another £920 of work including a couple of quality wedding bookings. I should know about them either way by the end of the week.

Penfold42
08-04-2008, 08:48 PM
Things were looking slow(ish) until the last weekend. I've had a steady stream of kids parties, christenings and corporate bookings but from saturday to yesterday took on over £1000 of work (single private bookings). I know that's nowt to some of you but I charge, on average, £150 per 4hr gig.

Nowt to me......:eek: .....i would say well done sir.......:beer1:
Money coming in is good.....no matter how much......:)

leighinstoke
08-04-2008, 09:42 PM
Getting plenty of bookings but they are all quite last minute/short notice though I've a good amount to keep things ticking over for the next few months.

Leigh.....

CRAZY K
08-04-2008, 10:40 PM
First Quarter 2008 ( Jan Feb March) well up on last year:D

Second Quarter-- April ok May and June look very slow at present:eek:

Maybe some sunshine will make people think about Bar B Qs:rolleyes:

Maybe the recession (yes there is one- ignore the Politicians) --- is hitting home:(

CRAZY K

rob1963
09-04-2008, 12:03 AM
Perhaps this is just Lincolnshire? Has anyone else experieinced this lack of enquiries/new bookings?:bang:

I reckon it's just Lincolnshire.

I've already taken the same number of bookings for this year that I took for the whole of last year...and it's only early April!

Jiggles
09-04-2008, 12:05 AM
I havent got another disco untill May next year!

rob1963
09-04-2008, 12:15 AM
I havent got another disco untill May next year!

:jawdrop:

No wonder your Dad won't let you buy a D2!

Jiggles
09-04-2008, 12:23 AM
That answers all questions that :D

Corabar Steve
09-04-2008, 08:33 AM
25th? You working Christmas day?
Yep, nice little earner it is too!

Solitaire Events Ltd
09-04-2008, 10:09 AM
Yep, nice little earner it is too!

The Santa suit still fits then? :p

soundtracker
09-04-2008, 10:22 AM
Santa's anagram more like!

Dimension Videotheque
09-04-2008, 02:49 PM
Well none of you guys can't be in a worse situation than me when it comes to bookings. I've just spent a few grand on equipment and have just started the 'marketing' bit. I feel like I'm starting all over again and hope I haven't missed the band wagon on some weddings this year. I really don't want to go down the road of doing pubs but I suppose its a good PR stunt.

Plus I got the missus to contend with when she realises how much I've really spent :zip:

Anyone want a free party just for a few Guinnesses :D

theoloyla
09-04-2008, 03:01 PM
Well none of you guys can't be in a worse situation than me when it comes to bookings. I've just spent a few grand on equipment and have just started the 'marketing' bit. I feel like I'm starting all over again and hope I haven't missed the band wagon on some weddings this year. I really don't want to go down the road of doing pubs but I suppose its a good PR stunt.

Plus I got the missus to contend with when she realises how much I've really spent :zip:

Anyone want a free party just for a few Guinnesses :D
Dont worry too much. At least you know from previous experience that you can do it. All it requires is to get some contacts and reputation locally and you should be away. Dont forget though that effectively you are a new business and it takes time to establish yourself. Like I said in another post come down to the next SEDA meeting in Maidstone and do a bit of networking.

Dimension Videotheque
09-04-2008, 03:08 PM
Hi TheoLoyla,

Yes, thanks! Its a bit of a shock right now seeing how busy I was in Cyprus. I see there's a SEDA meeting on May 18th, I'll do my best to get down to Maidstone, great shopping centre there too.

DazzyD
10-04-2008, 12:28 AM
Nowt to me......:eek: .....i would say well done sir.......:beer1:
Money coming in is good.....no matter how much......:)

I've surpassed my own expectations! As some of you may know, my grandad died on Good Friday and it was funeral last Wednesday. Combine this with me catching a bad stomach bug that's doing the rounds and I've had a few days of work. But I didn't get much rest as my phone kept ringing.

In the past, I've worked corporate contracts and subbed from other discos so I've not really needed to advertise too much. This year, I took out two impressive white-on-black ads in the Yellow Pages for less than £600 and they seem to be catching everyones attention so I'm getting plenty of enquiries. Then, skills I learned as a utilities salesman come in to play and I do my stuff. So far, my enquiries to sales conversion rate stands at 38% for 2008. Completely different to 2007 which was still a respectable 21%.

With the credit crunch and the current doom and gloom attitude, I'm only praying my good fortune will last cos I'm planning on taking on a new DJ soon rather than keep giving work away.

Wow. Gotta say you must be doing something right. My phone hasn't rang since last wednesday. And 3 of the last half-dozen or so have been previous customers booking us again.

I keep checking my phone to make sure it's working!!!

I was thinking the same thing, martin, cos I'd had only 2 enquiries in the 3 weeks leading up to last weekend and I hadn't converted any of them. I definitely think I've been lucky, tho.

pulsemobiledisco
10-04-2008, 07:57 AM
This year has been very busy for me, I can count on one hand how many weekends I've not been working. April is very busy with loads of weddings. May is quiet, because I'm getting married and three weeks away on honeymoon. But it all starts again as soon as I'm back.

This is probably because most of my work is from an agency. Have you considered using an agency to fill in your blanks. If you find a reputable one you could have good regular work coming in. Money might be a bit less, but at least you would be out working.

Sam

CRAZY K
10-04-2008, 10:37 AM
First Quarter 2008 ( Jan Feb March) well up on last year:D

Second Quarter-- April ok May and June look very slow at present:eek:

Maybe some sunshine will make people think about Bar B Qs:rolleyes:

Maybe the recession (yes there is one- ignore the Politicians) --- is hitting home:(

CRAZY K

Well the sun was shining yesterday--I picked up a good paying Wedding booking from a local Hotel with the threat of more to come--and a decent contact with an AV Company--

I tell you--ITS THE SUN WOT DUN IT!"!!!!!!

CRAZY K

Penfold42
24-04-2008, 12:54 PM
Hi Martin....it seems to be going to other way at the moment for me.....how odd....:confused: :)

Vectis
24-04-2008, 01:38 PM
Things definitely seem to go in "waves". I've noticed a bit of a lull this month, but in the last couple of days things have warmed up a bit. Maybe payday is looming and people worried about the 10% band suddenly realise that the 22% band is now 20% so they're actually a bit better off than they thought?

(wishful thinking).

Anyway, if enquiries and website activity seem to dry up for me, I can cross-reference with my related directories and see that folks simply ain't looking to party right now! (as has been the case the last couple of weeks).

CRAZY K
24-04-2008, 02:06 PM
Well the sun was shining yesterday--I picked up a good paying Wedding booking from a local Hotel with the threat of more to come--and a decent contact with an AV Company--

I tell you--ITS THE SUN WOT DUN IT!"!!!!!!

CRAZY K

Personal work for me has been very slow for a few weeks, mainly due to all dates requested are already booked--but the work we pass on to our Professional Contacts through my wife has considerably increased and theres no shortage of people willing to pay for a Barn Dance Band--so theres plenty of money still out there.

Wheres the SUN gone:eek:

CRAZY K

Dragonfly
24-04-2008, 02:12 PM
Bookings going well here this week ........... for Tony :D :D :D had 3 or 4 enquiries so about average really for april.

beginning of the month i had an influx of people who had seemingly forgotten they were getting married in June ?????

theoloyla
24-04-2008, 02:17 PM
Personal work for me has been very slow for a few weeks, mainly due to all dates requested are already booked--but the work we pass on to our Professional Contacts through my wife has considerably increased and theres no shortage of people willing to pay for a Barn Dance Band--so theres plenty of money still out there.

Wheres the SUN gone:eek:

CRAZY K
Agreed. I have a close friend who plays in a scottish/barn dance band and they have lots of work at very good fees.

Penfold42
24-04-2008, 03:56 PM
Bookings going well here this week ........... for Tony :D :D :D had 3 or 4 enquiries so about average really for april.

Yep thanks Dave......but i've also had an uptake of people in Lincoln, which is quite good........so i'm happy with the amount of calls / bookings at this moment in time......:)

Spirits High
24-04-2008, 04:30 PM
Yep thanks Dave......but i've also had an uptake of people in Lincoln, which is quite good........so i'm happy with the amount of calls / bookings at this moment in time......:)

well, you know where else you can send them :p

jeremy knight
27-04-2008, 09:28 AM
Hi Everyone
I have not any bookings for discos and it is flat. It is cost of fuel going up and this credit crunch. I know someone who do discos seems to be ok for bookings because I asked if he has got many bookings in his diary. When will things get better again.
From Jeremy Knight
DJ Jez,Discos and Entertainment
(formally Avondale Discos)

DazzyD
27-04-2008, 06:24 PM
Took on two new bookings today alone. One's a dead easy Sunday christening party (that's about 8 this year now) and the other an 18th birthday (booked and guaranteed by parents who asked loads of questions so should be a good night).

I've spent the afternoon doing my admin work and have just found out that my enquiries to sales ratio is now standing at 41% for 2008. And I've got 11 one-off shows booked in for May just for myself.

rob1963
27-04-2008, 08:32 PM
my enquiries to sales ratio is now standing at 41% for 2008.

That's excellent...depending on how many of those enquiries are phone calls & how many are emails.

Virtually all my enquiries come via email, and at a rough guess I'd say my enquiries to sales ratio is about 15%...

...which is a bit :Rob James:

leighinstoke
27-04-2008, 08:46 PM
I'm getting a lot of 18th birthday parties coming in but quiet compared to last year. A lot of work is last minute - as in fortnights notice or less. Regular clients still rebooking me for events.

Leigh.....

DazzyD
27-04-2008, 09:32 PM
That's excellent...depending on how many of those enquiries are phone calls & how many are emails.

Virtually all my enquiries come via email, and at a rough guess I'd say my enquiries to sales ratio is about 15%...

...which is a bit :Rob James:

Actually, Rob, out of all the stats I regularly measure, percentage of emails, phone calls and regular mail enquiries isn't a stat I'd thought of.

So, I've just done a quick check. These are the current stats for 2008:

Phone calls : 68%
Emails : 16%
Regular Mail : 4%
Third party enquiries / Other : 12%

Phone calls brought the biggest number of bookings with emails lagging behind in last place. The biggest conversion rate is found in the Third party enquiries - but I do include referrals and bookings where the venue books on behalf of the client in this category so this is no real surprise. These enquiries have always been the easiest to convert in to bookings.

In some marketing campaigns, a conversion rate of 15% would be classed as really good. I used to be a postman delivering the door-to-door product (or what most people would call junk mail!) and was told that if just 2% of people responded to a leafleting campaign then it would be a success. My own personal target is 25% but then I do have the sales experience and objection handling skills to get potential customers onside. I especially love it when potential customers ask lots of questions as it gives me the best chance to sell our services. When people just ask for a price then I never hold out much hope!

KaraokeDJ
05-08-2008, 03:32 PM
When people just ask for a price then I never hold out much hope!

That's usually the first question I hear! Well, that is WHEN the phone rings. Seem to be extremely lacking of enquiries lately. Got loads of empty Fridays from now til end of year and nothing in November at all at the mo. It's actually quite concerning.
Think I've had one enquiry in the past 2 weeks. I converted it but need more.

DazzyD
05-08-2008, 05:24 PM
That's usually the first question I hear! Well, that is WHEN the phone rings. Seem to be extremely lacking of enquiries lately. Got loads of empty Fridays from now til end of year and nothing in November at all at the mo. It's actually quite concerning.
Think I've had one enquiry in the past 2 weeks. I converted it but need more.

I've taken half of September off as I'm away but have bookings up to end of November (where are all the December bookings?) and a good few weddings in for next year (thankfully!).

I'm finding more and more people are waiting til the last few weeks to book me (last week I had 3 enquiries for weddings before the end of August! :eek: ) but also 2 confirmed bookings for weddings in 2009 so enquiries are coming in.

Just keep on smiling! When those calls do come in people respond better to a "smiley voice" as my old sales team manager used to say!

theoloyla
05-08-2008, 06:45 PM
Things still pretty good for me.:)

ppentertainments
05-08-2008, 07:00 PM
I've taken half of September off as I'm away but have bookings up to end of November (where are all the December bookings?) and a good few weddings in for next year (thankfully!).

Am seriously lacking december bookings also for some reason :eek: :eek: Only 4 Weddings and 2 birthdays so far. Still have one rig left for New Year also.