PDA

View Full Version : Website changes...opinions please

rob1963
13-04-2008, 11:26 AM
I've always been aware that my website didn't have enough photos, so I've finally done something about it.

On the home page, I've added two new photos on the right, and have also changed the photo on the top left to one taken at a bigger disco (partly as a subtle way to push my larger disco!).

On the discos page, the previous photos were stock pics of lighting effects and had nothing to do with my actual disco. These have now been replaced with actual photos of the crowd taken at one of my standard & deluxe discos, so they are now relevant.

In addition, I've added 3 lines of text to each disco description detailing the functions they are best suited to, and informing people that more information is available on the FAQ page, with links to the page in question.

Finally, I've increased the price of my standard disco by £25 and the deluxe disco by £50.

I'd appreciate your opinions on the amendments and/or how my home & disco pages look now.

You can view the site by clicking on my banner below, and you may have to press control & F5 on the site. This should force a refresh, and will ensure you see the updated version of my site.

Thanks in advance for your opinions & comments.

:)

Corabar Steve
13-04-2008, 11:56 AM
I don't know if it's just me but the blurb on your homepage comes across like a 7 year old's report on what they did on their summer holiday.

We went to the seaside in Devon & it was sunny . We went to the beach & saw some donkeys. Mum got splashed by a big wave. I had some candyfloss. We had fishand chips for dinner.

Get the picture? Nowt wrong with it as such, but that's what was going through my mind when reading it. Not sure how to remedy it though.

rob1963
13-04-2008, 02:24 PM
I don't know if it's just me but the blurb on your homepage comes across like a 7 year old's report on what they did on their summer holiday.

We went to the seaside in Devon & it was sunny . We went to the beach & saw some donkeys. Mum got splashed by a big wave. I had some candyfloss. We had fishand chips for dinner.

Get the picture? Nowt wrong with it as such, but that's what was going through my mind when reading it. Not sure how to remedy it though.

Thanks Steve.

Interesting comments...nobody has ever said my home page looks like it was written by a 7 year old before, and I don't agree with your opinion...but it's still interesting - probably because it was completely unexpected, so maybe it IS just you!

Your lack of comments on the photo changes suggests you think they're ok though, or maybe I'm wrong!

CRAZY K
13-04-2008, 03:31 PM
I've always been aware that my website didn't have enough photos, so I've finally done something about it.

On the home page, I've added two new photos on the right, and have also changed the photo on the top left to one taken at a bigger disco (partly as a subtle way to push my larger disco!).

On the discos page, the previous photos were stock pics of lighting effects and had nothing to do with my actual disco. These have now been replaced with actual photos of the crowd taken at one of my standard & deluxe discos, so they are now relevant.

In addition, I've added 3 lines of text to each disco description detailing the functions they are best suited to, and informing people that more information is available on the FAQ page, with links to the page in question.

Finally, I've increased the price of my standard disco by £25 and the deluxe disco by £50.

I'd appreciate your opinions on the amendments and/or how my home & disco pages look now.

You can view the site by clicking on my banner below, and you may have to press control & F5 on the site. This should force a refresh, and will ensure you see the updated version of my site.

Thanks in advance for your opinions & comments.

Looks neat, concise and informative---I dont find that a problem if you need to sum up things on the home page quickly.

Re the piccies--I think you would do yourself a favour if one showed a closer view of people having a good time--maybe you ought to have a gallery page like a lot of us do?

But not lights and equipment!!!!!!!!

HAPPY SHINY PEOPLE!!!!!!!!

Something like this maybe--

http://www.callerdirect.co.uk/pics.htm

regards

CRAZY K

rob1963
13-04-2008, 03:38 PM
Looks neat, concise and informative---I dont find that a problem if you need to sum up things on the home page quickly.

Re the piccies--I think you would do yourself a favour if one showed a closer view of people having a good time--maybe you ought to have a gallery page like a lot of us do?

But not lights and equipment!!!!!!!!

HAPPY SHINY PEOPLE!!!!!!!!

Something like this maybe--

http://www.callerdirect.co.uk/pics.htm

regards

CRAZY K

Thanks Crazy!

:D

Tom
13-04-2008, 08:17 PM
I like the updated website. I like the new pictures but I dont have one thing. To me there don't seem a lot of coloured lights over the people dancing? The lights are bright but there don't seem much of it.

Just my opinion.

Other than that.....:approve: :)

rob1963
13-04-2008, 08:18 PM
I like the updated website. I like the new pictures but I dont have one thing. To me there don't seem a lot of coloured lights over the people dancing? The lights are bright but there don't seem much of it.

Just my opinion.

Other than that.....:approve: :)

Thanks Tom!

Dragonfly
13-04-2008, 08:27 PM
looks good rob ...... was the bottom quiz night in a cold garage in 1985??? :D :D :D

rob1963
13-04-2008, 08:30 PM
looks good rob ...... was the bottom quiz night in a cold garage in 1985??? :D :D :D

Thanks Dave, and no...it was just a guy who thinks it looks cool to wear a coat...even indoors!

:shrug:

Penfold42
13-04-2008, 09:01 PM
Thanks for the nudge......falling asleep then......:D

Looks spot on to me......if i was to criticize on anything.....i would say the photos are too small and a bit busy for my liking. :)
Do you have 1 nice wedding photo you can place in the top left....?

Just a thought.....:)

One Vision
13-04-2008, 09:16 PM
Hya Rob not a criticism but a suggestion mate, how about a couple of picks of your actual show if only to illustrate the difference in prices.

Shaun
13-04-2008, 09:49 PM
Nothing I could really critique. I like it. Nice job. :)

rob1963
13-04-2008, 10:25 PM
Thanks for the nudge......falling asleep then......:D

Looks spot on to me......if i was to criticize on anything.....i would say the photos are too small and a bit busy for my liking. :)
Do you have 1 nice wedding photo you can place in the top left....?

Just a thought.....:)

Thanks Tony! I don't have too many disco photos at the moment, as I always forget to take my camera...but as I take more, I'll be able to get some better ones on the site.

Hya Rob not a criticism but a suggestion mate, how about a couple of picks of your actual show if only to illustrate the difference in prices.

Thanks Karl, but I made a conscious decision not to show any pics of my gear, as I really don't think customers are interested.

Nothing I could really critique. I like it. Nice job. :)

Thanks Shaun...much appreciated!

Corabar Steve
14-04-2008, 08:12 AM
Thanks Steve.

Interesting comments...nobody has ever said my home page looks like it was written by a 7 year old before, and I don't agree with your opinion...but it's still interesting - probably because it was completely unexpected, so maybe it IS just you!

Your lack of comments on the photo changes suggests you think they're ok though, or maybe I'm wrong!

I don't know if I phrased it correctly, but it's just a paragraph with We do this & we do this & we do that & we also do that. The first thing that came to mind was a kid writing about their hols. Maybe if it was broken up with a few more details?

The photos are fine, although as mentioned if you are going to have set prices for X show & Y show, it would be nice to see what you will get for each.

rob1963
14-04-2008, 10:48 AM
I don't know if I phrased it correctly, but it's just a paragraph with We do this & we do this & we do that & we also do that. The first thing that came to mind was a kid writing about their hols. Maybe if it was broken up with a few more details?

Thanks Steve, but it's purely intended as a general summary of the business, and I think it serves it's purpose well.

I know your own site has loads more details over various pages, and I could put more info on mine, but that would defeat the object of keeping it short, simple & to the point.

The photos are fine, although as mentioned if you are going to have set prices for X show & Y show, it would be nice to see what you will get for each.

But that would involve showing photos of equipment, which I really don't want to do. A while ago, I removed all references to equipment from my site, as it doesn't matter to clients which amp, tripods or lights I use.

Interestingly, over 30 people have viewed my site from the banner in this thread, but only a small number have made comments...which I take to be good news!

Penfold42
14-04-2008, 11:18 AM
Thanks Tony! I don't have too many disco photos at the moment, as I always forget to take my camera...but as I take more, I'll be able to get some better ones on the site.

No problem....it was actually quite hard to pick fault with your site.....:)

rob1963
14-04-2008, 11:21 AM
No problem....it was actually quite hard to pick fault with your site.....:)

:D :D :D

Corabar Steve
14-04-2008, 03:00 PM
But that would involve showing photos of equipment, which I really don't want to do. A while ago, I removed all references to equipment from my site, as it doesn't matter to clients which amp, tripods or lights I use.
But isn't it an idea to give your clients an idea of what they can expect?

You don't have to go into detail. If it was me booking you, I'd want to know what I was getting for the money if I went for the big one as opposed to the small one

rob1963
14-04-2008, 03:30 PM
But isn't it an idea to give your clients an idea of what they can expect?

You don't have to go into detail. If it was me booking you, I'd want to know what I was getting for the money if I went for the big one as opposed to the small one

You wouldn't need a photo to find that out though.

Simply reading the text will tell you that the large disco has 50% more lights than the standard one, is suitable for 70-150 people and is ideal for most weddings as well as corporate functions.

Corabar Steve
14-04-2008, 03:43 PM
& how would I know what the smaller one looks like?

Is it that the small one has 50% less lights than the big one, or the big one has 50% of the amount of the small one added to the number you get with the small one or does the big one have half as much again as the small one? :sj:

pulsemobiledisco
14-04-2008, 03:51 PM

Is it that the small one has 50% less lights than the big one, or the big one has 50% of the amount of the small one added to the number you get with the small one or does the big one have half as much again as the small one? :sj:

I do agree with what Steve is saying. You could put a picture up of the two different rigs, that way it is clear what the difference is.

I've got no room to talk though, my website is pretty crap when it comes to pictures. I've currently got no rig pics on there. I've got some nice photo's I want to put up but I', having problems workin gout how to do it. My site was designed using Netobjects and I don;t have a copy of it.

Sam

rob1963
14-04-2008, 03:57 PM

By using the contact page to ask me.

I would send back a detailed email describing my stands, tripods, t bars, stucco case containing my amp etc etc.

Alternatively, I could describe everything on the phone if you'd prefer that.

However, my clients probably don't think the same way as you. They don't ask what my equipment looks like, or what the deluxe disco has that the other doesn't, presumably because they don't care...so I don't think it's a problem.

Is it that the small one has 50% less lights than the big one, or the big one has 50% of the amount of the small one added to the number you get with the small one or does the big one have half as much again as the small one?:sj:

Correct! :D :D :D

rob1963
14-04-2008, 04:06 PM
I do agree with what Steve is saying. You could put a picture up of the two different rigs, that way it is clear what the difference is.

I've got no room to talk though, my website is pretty crap when it comes to pictures. I've currently got no rig pics on there. I've got some nice photo's I want to put up but I', having problems workin gout how to do it. My site was designed using Netobjects and I don;t have a copy of it.

Sam

Thanks for your thoughts, Pulse, but I don't want it to be about the equipment, which is why a while back I removed all specific descriptions of the equipment, and decided not to have any pics showing it either.

Also, I recently posted a photo here which I was thinking of putting on my website, so people could give opinions. It showed some of my equipment with people dancing. Without exception, every single comment said don't use it. They all gave the same reason...photos showing equipment are not a good idea.

pulsemobiledisco
14-04-2008, 04:15 PM
Thanks for your thoughts, Pulse, but I don't want it to be about the equipment, which is why a while back I removed all specific descriptions of the equipment, and decided not to have any pics showing it either.

Also, I recently posted a photo here which I was thinking of putting on my website, so people could give opinions. It showed some of my equipment with people dancing. Without exception, every single comment said don't use it. They all gave the same reason...photos showing equipment are not a good idea.

That's fair enough, I guess it's just down to personal opinion. What I should also have said is that I like the content on your site. It's not overloaded with info but gets the message across. I think I will be striping some of the info out of my site when I give it a much needed update.

Sam

rob1963
14-04-2008, 04:26 PM
What I should also have said is that I like the content on your site. It's not overloaded with info but gets the message across. I think I will be striping some of the info out of my site when I give it a much needed update. Sam

Thanks Sam, your positive comments are appreciated.

I'm a great believer in keeping things simple, and think there is a lot to be said for the "less is more" scenario.

People are in such a rush these days, so I see no point in giving them 15 or 20 pages to wade through on my website...mostly containing waffle that they aren't interested in.

I just see that as being counter-productive, so I've done everything I can to strip away the fat & just give them the meat.

It's taken me 3 years and about 300 alterations, but I've finally got my website pretty much how I want.

Corabar Steve
14-04-2008, 04:33 PM
How many lights do you get with the small disco?

rob1963
14-04-2008, 04:39 PM
How many do you want?

:p

Corabar Steve
14-04-2008, 04:56 PM
You tell me. I'm just curious

rob1963
14-04-2008, 05:31 PM

In your case, Steve, it would consist of my finest pinspot.

ppentertainments
14-04-2008, 06:27 PM

What photo's should we use on our websites ??? i have been puzzling over this for ages. I agree that rig photo's look a bit naff but so do loads of photo's of people dancing, in my opinion. Anyone can show a photo of people dancing. Any opinions ??

Vectis
14-04-2008, 06:39 PM
I make lots of use of silhouttes... that way you can see people enjoying themselves AND to a certain degree the gear.

eg:

rob1963
14-04-2008, 11:06 PM
I make lots of use of silhouttes... that way you can see people enjoying themselves AND to a certain degree the gear.

eg:

Vectis, I have to say that your pics are the dogs.

You could make a fortune from going to other people's gigs & charging to take high quality pics for their websites.

rob1963
14-04-2008, 11:29 PM

How many do you want?

:p

Steve,

To give a serious answer to your question, the standard disco has 8 pinspots & 2 lighting effects, creating a 940 watt lightshow.

The deluxe disco has 8 pinspots & 4 lighting effects, giving a 1.44 kW lightshow, which is just over 50% more.

Sorry for the delay in giving a serious reply, but I'm just not into equipment.

What photo's should we use on our websites ??? i have been puzzling over this for ages. I agree that rig photo's look a bit naff but so do loads of photo's of people dancing, in my opinion. Anyone can show a photo of people dancing. Any opinions ??

That's a matter of opinion, pp.

I think the best pics show loads of people dancing & having fun with the lighting effects on them.