PDA

View Full Version : lightweight poly cabinets

mldiscos
17-04-2008, 11:23 AM
i've been using good old fashioned timber cabinets for a while know and they are starting to look a little old & scabby, plus replacing the driver & tweeters twice know i've thought about the new lightweight poly cabinets.

just using these an example have used this company quite often know and seems like half decent gear anybody used these yet

http://www.terralec.co.uk/jb_systems_loudspeaker_cabinets/light_300_watt_polyurethane_cabinet_15/20709_p.html

the ones that im currently using are based on these but with uprated eminence delta 12" cones

http://www.terralec.co.uk/jb_systems_loudspeaker_cabinets/speaker_cabinet_12_inch/19286_p.html

i've been using good old fashioned timber cabinets for a while know and they are starting to look a little old & scabby, plus replacing the driver & tweeters twice know i've thought about the new lightweight poly cabinets.

just using these an example have used this company quite often know and seems like half decent gear anybody used these yet

http://www.terralec.co.uk/jb_systems_loudspeaker_cabinets/light_300_watt_polyurethane_cabinet_15/20709_p.html

the ones that im currently using are based on these but with uprated eminence delta 12" cones

http://www.terralec.co.uk/jb_systems_loudspeaker_cabinets/speaker_cabinet_12_inch/19286_p.html

or can anybody suggest any others of same type

Corabar Steve
17-04-2008, 12:06 PM
I'm going back to bed, I'm seeing double :sj:

IMHO Plastic cabs don't have the same rich sound as "wooden" ones regardless of make.

theoloyla
17-04-2008, 01:49 PM
Me too. I dont like plastic speaker cabs.

Solitaire Events Ltd
17-04-2008, 03:18 PM
I'm going back to bed, I'm seeing double :sj:

IMHO Plastic cabs don't have the same rich sound as "wooden" ones regardless of make.

I agree on the whole though you can't possibly generalise and people who do haven't listened to many makes and models of plastic cabs.

I'd like some people to listen to plastic cabs blindfolded to see if they could tell the difference.

spin mobile disco
17-04-2008, 03:22 PM
You may also notice the lightweight cabinates are actually 5 kilos heavier than your current cabs. Saying that plastic cabs dont all sound bad. I know a fair few people who use mackie or db plastic cabs.

JAMdisco
17-04-2008, 03:37 PM
I used Mackie plastic tops for years and was very happy with them.
I now use wooden ones as I could get more speaker for my money and with having more speakers it does sound nice. Saying that though, the 12" tops are the plastic variety and still sound good, and I think it would be difficult to tell the difference to the un-trained ear.

We've had this discussion about plastic vs wooden cabs hundreds of times now. My advice, make sure you listen to them and if you think they sound good, why not buy them. A lot of it is personal prefferance (and sometimes badge snobbery).

Corabar Steve
17-04-2008, 04:05 PM
My advice, make sure you listen to them and if you think they sound good, why not buy them. A lot of it is personal prefferance (and sometimes badge snobbery).Indeed

A1DL
17-04-2008, 04:49 PM

Me too. I dont like plastic speaker cabs.

For years I was in full agreement with Steve & Theo.

That was before hearing these beauties.
http://www.dbaudio.com/en/systems/e_series/e12/

Very comparable with C6 and weighing in 12kg lighter at just 16kg

Tony

DazzyD
17-04-2008, 11:12 PM
I agree with several posts on this thread about it being a case of personal taste.

I have both wooden and plastic (ABS or some term like that) cabinets and my favourites (at the moment) are the prolight e-115's (15" 300w) in plastic cabinets. They've got a good overall sound and work well with my mixer. What's more they've served me well over the last couple of years so they've proved their worth.

The speakers for my next system are likely to active ones in plastic cabs. But this is still up for discussion.

theoloyla
21-04-2008, 12:16 PM
I agree. If they sound good (and they are durable) buy them. Never say never. What I said about plastic cabs is a generalization but nonetheless true. I have yet to be convinced.

sleah
21-04-2008, 02:26 PM
I think the better the quality of plastic cabs, the better they will be.
I doubt a cheap plastic cab will sound worse than the equivalent cheap wooden cab, if you see what I mean!
It would make sense that the thicker and/or denser the plastic, the better. Thin plastic is bound to rattle or flex and affect the sound quality.
Not sure about bass bins though. The plastic would have to be so thick and dense to prevent rattles as mentioned, they would most likely be heavier than their wooden counterparts, as someone has already mentioned.

If it sounds good, who cares what it's made of as long as they work for you.

People have scoffed at my mdf/plastic Jamo cabs, but I've had plenty of compliments about how good my sound rig is, especially from people who know nothing about makes and specs, so there's yer proof!

Corabar Steve
21-04-2008, 02:59 PM
Out of interest does anyone do plastic bass cabs?

Solitaire Events Ltd
21-04-2008, 03:16 PM

http://www.maplin.co.uk/searchtemplate.asp?criteria=BASS%20BIN :eek: ;)

http://www.djanddiscostuff.com/prodpage.asp?prodid=2006

Corabar Steve
21-04-2008, 03:53 PM
They look nasty!

I wonder what they sound like?

CRAZY K
21-04-2008, 04:07 PM
They look nasty!

Didnt Dave ( Dragonfly ) buy the Carlsboros ?

CRAZY K

Penfold42
21-04-2008, 04:13 PM
Didnt Dave ( Dragonfly ) buy the Carlsboros ?

CRAZY K

Yes....:D :D

But they sound and look fine..... :)

A1DL
21-04-2008, 04:55 PM
They look nasty!

hhmmm..... I wonder why on the "specifications" tab, they omit to quote any sensitivity / SPL data :confused:

Excalibur
22-04-2008, 04:48 PM
Until recently, I would have suggested avoiding passive plastic cabs like the plague. Since hearing Justin's new ones, I have changed my opinion, BUT we were told that it is preferable to feed them with top end, rather than full range.

flatliners
22-04-2008, 07:54 PM
i am another carlsbro plastic sub user and they are not bad at all and active saves carring a separate amp

A1DL
22-04-2008, 08:00 PM
i am another carlsbro plastic sub user and they are not bad at all and active saves carring a separate amp

how do you rate them against say... RCF? :p

Dragonfly
22-04-2008, 08:05 PM
I use the carlsbro active subs and to be honest 1 mackie 1501 is better than 2 carlsbro 15/600 subs but for me it was a simple weight issue the carlsbro were lighter and with the two they do the job admirably just not the thumping floor moving capability of the mackie imo.

i think the rig looks nicer though with the carlsbros than it did with the big brick like mackie also like the look better with 2 carlsbros than 2 mackies ........ just my personal taste.

Tony Scott
22-04-2008, 08:57 PM

I once worked with a sound hire guy (one man band) who had 8 of these plastic active bass cabs (4 a side): http://www.jpleisure.co.uk/item1371.htm
& 8 active tops to match.

The sound was OK'ish but he would have got a much better bass sound from a pair of Folded Horns or proper 18" subs, would have taken up less van space & cost less too!

theoloyla
28-04-2008, 12:27 PM
Have seen the info on a speaker company coming to the next SEDA shownight. The look good. Will be interesting to hear them.

DJWayne
28-04-2008, 04:40 PM
I prefer solid cabinets rather than plastic as in some venues i play i can get away with just my 12" top speakers due to the excellent amount of bass they throw out where as other DJ's i know in the same venue who have ABS / plastic speakers of the same size have to take subs with them to achieve a decent sound.

In my opinion you dont get the same amount of bass from a plastic cabinet as you do a solid cabinet but thats only my opinion others will no doubt disagree :)

Solitaire Events Ltd
28-04-2008, 05:11 PM
I prefer solid cabinets rather than plastic as in some venues i play i can get away with just my 12" top speakers due to the excellent amount of bass they throw out where as other DJ's i know in the same venue who have ABS / plastic speakers of the same size have to take subs with them to achieve a decent sound.

In my opinion you dont get the same amount of bass from a plastic cabinet as you do a solid cabinet but thats only my opinion others will no doubt disagree :)

I do.

You can't possibly generalise about something like that.

DJWayne
28-04-2008, 05:15 PM
I do.

You can't possibly generalise about something like that.

you following me? :P

like i said my opinion but maybe it should have been my personal preference instead , its been a long day already :D

Solitaire Events Ltd
28-04-2008, 05:55 PM
you following me? :P

Might be. ;)

like i said my opinion but maybe it should have been my personal preference instead , its been a long day already :D

But the point is, there are hundreds of different brands, makes and manufacturers of speakers and you can't possibly say all wooden cabs are better then all plastic cabs.

DJWayne
28-04-2008, 07:04 PM
I seem to be agreeing a lot today i must be unwell lol

When i went scouting for my main speakers i did audition several different pairs of around the same price / wattage / size and much preferred the sound of the solid cabinets hence i bought the martin F12's that i use.

No doubt a pair of £1,000 plastic speakers would sound better than £100 solid cabs. So yes you do have a point you cant say all solid cabs are better than all plastic but in a like for like comparison i prefer solid :)

Solitaire Events Ltd
28-04-2008, 07:30 PM
No doubt a pair of £1,000 plastic speakers would sound better than £100 solid cabs.

I don't think that's a very fair comparison either. Ive used EV, Mackie and RCF cabs in the last 3 years that would make the equivalently priced wooden ones sound rubbish.

MA are very good and at the top end of the market, so I'm not sure that is a fair comparison when it comes to most disco equipment.