PDA

View Full Version : Availability checkers

Spirits High
18-04-2008, 06:50 AM
Morning All,

Am toying with the idea of putting an availability checker onto the site. I know of two,DJ intelligence and Google calenders.

The questions are:

1. How many of us use them?

2. Do you find them a useful tool?

And finally (in a Trevor McDonald style :D )

3. Are they simple to maintain?

Thanks in advance for your comments

pagan_flame
18-04-2008, 08:28 AM
I have a simple 'Availability' page on my website, on which I post up dates that I am NOT available; agencies etc who are looking for a DJ know to look on that page to check to see if I am free on the date they are looking at - saves them having to call me up and then me to call them back later.

So 2. = Yes. ;) :beer1:

Marc J
18-04-2008, 08:31 AM
See http://www.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=149928&postcount=96 :)

Vectis
18-04-2008, 08:40 AM
I am Google Calendar user and I did take the time to look at Marc's script, and I can see how either solution would fit depending on your needs.

The reasons I stick with Google Calendar:

1. There's only one of me so no multi-op to consider
2. I can get to it anywhere anytime with just a browser (even on my mobile)
3. I have two "flexible residencies" and give the clients limited read/write access so they can make their own bookings and amendments.

I'd check out both as only you know what will work for you.

To answer Q2 - yes - I'd be really stuck without one, and Q3 - absolutely.

Spirits High
18-04-2008, 09:02 AM
See http://www.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=149928&postcount=96 :)

Cheers Marc, I even did a search this time and it didn't show!

I am Google Calendar user and I did take the time to look at Marc's script, and I can see how either solution would fit depending on your needs.

To answer Q2 - yes - I'd be really stuck without one, and Q3 - absolutely.

Thanks Vectis,

Looked at both as they have pro's & cons,

I'm prefering the Dj intelligence type one as I think at the moment with me being part time :eek: the google may not portray the right image to the client if you know what I mean

Would it be advisible to have this on it's own page and also have a FAQ that links to it?

Standby Marc for PM (if you're inbox wasn't full that is) ;)

Vectis
18-04-2008, 09:14 AM
the google may not portray the right image to the client if you know what I mean

Would it be advisible to have this on it's own page and also have a FAQ that links to it?

http://www.vectisvibe.com/pages/diary.php

I think it looks OK embedded? This is a view-only mode for customers.

Dragonfly
18-04-2008, 09:17 AM
i did this for a while but took it off as firstly people when they found i wasn't available just didnt email me so i didn't get the chance to tell them what i could offer (if they like what they read they may keep the email for future reference)

or

they didnt email so i didn't get the chance to tell them about a very professional alternative to my services that i would strongly recommend.

just my take i'm the eternal optimist and saw it as a deterrant to potential future clients getting in touch.

Penfold42
18-04-2008, 09:35 AM
they didnt email so i didn't get the chance to tell them about a very professional alternative to my services that i would strongly recommend.

:agree:...

Would rather pass work on to someone else i know and trust. :)

Spirits High
18-04-2008, 09:36 AM

Sorry Vectis, didn't mean in a visual way ment in a way that you may look like you're never working so cant be that good kind of way ;)

i did this for a while but took it off as firstly people when they found i wasn't available just didnt email me so i didn't get the chance to tell them what i could offer (if they like what they read they may keep the email for future reference)

or

just my take i'm the eternal optimist and saw it as a deterrant to potential future clients getting in touch.

Dave, Yea I had those thoughts as well, might give it a trial run to see how things go.

I suppose it could always be done in such a way that if i'm unavailable the page that says this says something along lines of:

"Sorry , we're not available , however we would recommend you call one of the knights of the Midlands table :D on blah blah blah"

Daryl
18-04-2008, 09:42 AM

You might wanna fix it so it works in Firefox :eek:

http://i26.tinypic.com/15hcqdc.png

jamesh
18-04-2008, 12:24 PM
Morning All,
The questions are:

1. How many of us use them?

2. Do you find them a useful tool?

And finally (in a Trevor McDonald style :D )

3. Are they simple to maintain?

Thanks in advance for your comments

I use the one that comes with DJ Event Planner (same as DJ Intelligence but better :P and more customisable). I have the checker on the home page as well as the disco, karaoke and race nights part of my site. i find it quite handy but clients find it even more handy as rather than phone or email to see if we have that date free they can check... So from an admin point of view you only get enquiries through your site that you are able to do.

And the good thing about it being part of DJ Event Planner is clients can check if i am free then send the enquiry with all the details of the event and when i log in i can double check the date, add the event into the diary and send out a quote within a couple of clicks...

If you haven't looked at DJ Event Planner i'd highly recommend it... As you can manage your diary, contacts, forms, requests - pretty much all the admin side of running a disco business...

CRAZY K
18-04-2008, 12:28 PM
:D

or

You could also refer people on to trusted sources as I think you do and then get reciprocal bookings--perhaps there arent people like that on the IOW :D

CRAZY K

Spirits High
18-04-2008, 12:35 PM
I use the one that comes with DJ Event Planner (same as DJ Intelligence but better :P and more customisable). I have the checker on the home page as well as the disco, karaoke and race nights part of my site. i find it quite handy but clients find it even more handy as rather than phone or email to see if we have that date free they can check... So from an admin point of view you only get enquiries through your site that you are able to do.

And the good thing about it being part of DJ Event Planner is clients can check if i am free then send the enquiry with all the details of the event and when i log in i can double check the date, add the event into the diary and send out a quote within a couple of clicks...

If you haven't looked at DJ Event Planner i'd highly recommend it... As you can manage your diary, contacts, forms, requests - pretty much all the admin side of running a disco business...

James, just been and had a look at your site and the way it works very nice ;)

:D

You could also refer people on to trusted sources as I think you do and then get reciprocal bookings--perhaps there arent people like that on the IOW :D

CRAZY K

Alan, That's in hand as i've spoken to a couple of "trusted sources" and thats the way I think it will go. :D

CRAZY K
18-04-2008, 01:05 PM
James, just been and had a look at your site and the way it works very nice ;)

Alan, That's in hand as i've spoken to a couple of "trusted sources" and thats the way I think it will go. :D

Now I wonder who that might be:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

They speak very highly of you--;)

CRAZY K

Penfold42
18-04-2008, 01:11 PM
They speak very highly of you--;)

No we don't....:D

Dragonfly
18-04-2008, 01:23 PM
No we don't....:D

well we do .... but it doesn't say much when one of us is :

www.smellytrampdiscos.com (http://www.andromedaroadshow.co.uk/)

:D :D :D :D :D

I had a guy email me offering to do me a free one of these about 2 weeks ago if you like i'll try and dig out the email?

Spirits High
18-04-2008, 03:11 PM
well we do .... but it doesn't say much when one of us is :

www.smellytrampdiscos.com (http://www.andromedaroadshow.co.uk/)

:D :D :D :D :D

I had a guy email me offering to do me a free one of these about 2 weeks ago if you like i'll try and dig out the email?

:lol: Funny As :beer1:

Was so glad that was Tonys site :D :D

rob1963
18-04-2008, 03:12 PM
Marc showed me an availability checker which I really liked, and it was a doddle to update...even for me!

The main reason I decided not to use it was because I use "I'm not available on that date" as an excuse for turning down gigs I don't want to do.

If they could check availability on my website, I wouldn't be able to use that excuse any more!

Spirits High
18-04-2008, 03:25 PM
Marc showed me an availability checker which I really liked, and it was a doddle to update...even for me!

The main reason I decided not to use it was because I use "I'm not available on that date" as an excuse for turning down gigs I don't want to do.

If they could check availability on my website, I wouldn't be able to use that excuse any more!

That's the one Marc quoted in post 3 It seems good to me.

But then again you've got a point about gigs you dont want.;)

Solitaire Events Ltd
18-04-2008, 03:33 PM
I don't like the idea at all. What happens if there is a slight timing problem with someone booking and the checker not being updated quick enough?

I'll stick to my own method for the time being.

Vectis
25-07-2008, 07:11 AM
Chopped pork and ham, anyone? :D