PDA

View Full Version : I've gone green!!

Vectis
22-04-2008, 05:31 PM
Finally think I've settled on a design I like after playing around (probably too much) the last few months.

Anyway, see what you think! All comments of the non-"urgh-what-a-disgusting-colour-scheme" type very welcome :)

I'm reworking the logo as we speak to make it a little more rounded, and a few of the moving banners (bottom section) are dated and will be refreshed. Also need to get a better mug shot on the "About Us" page :D

Go for it...

http://www.vectisvibe.com

Edit: Yes, I know there's a couple of pages (eg Diary) needing a bit of Firefox attention ;-)

Spirits High
22-04-2008, 05:38 PM
-"urgh-what-a-disgusting-colour-scheme"........................ :p

No, only joking it looks bright and fresh, like it.

Very pro looking site

Dragonfly
22-04-2008, 05:50 PM
BOGIES !!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D SORRY :D :D :D :D

rob1963
22-04-2008, 05:57 PM
Vectis,

This must be the first time someone has asked for comments on their website & I haven't been able to come up with anything constructive!

I do love the gallery page. As I've said before, you could make an absolute fortune going to other people's gigs & taking photos for their websites.

Great site, well done!

:D

Penfold42
22-04-2008, 05:58 PM
I like it ....it's not to offensive....it's easy on the eye IMO....:cool:

Marc J
22-04-2008, 07:00 PM
Martin,

It looks good, although I'm not sure I like it more than your last one (it's hard to keep up lol).

This wouldn't be a website review from me without a few technical points :eek: :-

1. It's got a nice "Web 2.0" look about it with the header and footer reflections, and other "glossy" elements to it, so perhaps your logo needs a little makeover to make it more "badge" style to match. Get a high quality version of it to me if you want me to have a go. Also, the rollovers at the top behaved differently with me sometimes - this may be because my browsing is painfully slow at the moment (ISP probs) but it might be worth looking into. Sometimes they were red tipped on rollover, and other times they went solid green, neither of which I liked much, to be honest.

2. Nice gallery ;) but I'd add the reflections to thumbnails to match the style of the header / footer. Also there seems to be something wrong when you enlarge as the "lightbox" doesn't grey out the whole window, there's a white strip down the right hand side. This is most likely a CSS or DOCTYPE problem, try some trial and error to fix it!

3. Your blue fade behind the testimonials - I'd fade them to white and faster, so they didn't have a hard bottom edge.

4. I'd remove the no right click script, or at least change it to one that lets me use my middle mouse button to pan around - it's very annoying!

5. There's something weird going on while the FAQ page loads, I get a black screen and flickering, but it's nice once it's loaded. To be really slick I'd make the answers loaded externally using AJAX, the page will load faster as well.

Overall - I feel that the "content" area is separate from the header and footer, it lacks one flowing look throughout. But I guess that's something you can work on page by page - I assume most of your content has just been pulled from your old site and stuck in the middle of the pages. It's not immediately obvious that the text in the bottom "green" part contains links, your CSS for the links should have more contrast to "normal" text or be underlined (they are everywhere else)...or something....but maybe it's just me!

Finally, the slowness issues are probably my ISP problems, but I'll take the opportunity anyway - get a faster host :p :D ;)

Danno13
22-04-2008, 07:22 PM
I got some layout problems browsing in Firefox, homepage was fine, but weddings and kids pages and most other pages I looked at, some of the content went right over to the right and I had to scroll across to see it.

Impactdisco
22-04-2008, 10:11 PM
Do you know what... I really like the colours.

Funny, at the moment, I'm working on changing my website and I've forgot how hard it is trying to get it just right!

Vectis
22-04-2008, 10:45 PM
it looks bright and fresh, like it.

Very pro looking site

:beer1: Green isn't my favourite colour but I think this is so much nicer than the schemes I've used before.

BOGIES !!!

Yeah, well, as expected really! :D

Vectis,

This must be the first time someone has asked for comments on their website & I haven't been able to come up with anything constructive!

I do love the gallery page. As I've said before, you could make an absolute fortune going to other people's gigs & taking photos for their websites.

Great site, well done!

:D

Thanks that man - and I have a confession to make. The cool pics are by Mrs VV. I'm a rubbish photographer! But if anyone wants to hire her out...

I like it ....it's not to offensive....it's easy on the eye IMO....:cool:

Yep - that's what I thought! - Ta.

perhaps your logo needs a little makeover to make it more "badge" style to match. Get a high quality version of it to me if you want me to have a go. Also, the rollovers at the top behaved differently with me sometimes - this may be because my browsing is painfully slow at the moment (ISP probs) but it might be worth looking into.

Agreed. I need to brush up on Photoshop so I'll take a stab at it first - thanks for the offer and I might be taking you up on it in a day or two :D

Nice gallery ;)

Isn't it just? ;) I've tried several alternatives but keep coming back to yours.

Your blue fade behind the testimonials - I'd fade them to white and faster, so they didn't have a hard bottom edge.

Agreed - done already.

I'd remove the no right click script

Sorry ... it's staying :p

There's something weird going on while the FAQ page loads

I noticed that occasionally too... one for further investigation.

Overall - I feel that the "content" area is separate from the header and footer, it lacks one flowing look throughout

Agreed. This will improve as I spend a bit more time on the site. You're right - the content is 99% copy n paste.

get a faster host :p :D ;)

I'm happy with the performance for now, however I do have another project I'm just about to start (not disco related for a change) so I'll be in touch.

Thanks Marc for the very helpful review (as always) and I promise I'll leave it alone for a while now (apart from content) :D

I got some layout problems browsing in Firefox,

Thanks for the heads-up. I think all the FF issues are cleaned up now (including the diary) and I'll be running it through Safari & Opera tomorrow.

Cheers guys :)

Spirits High
22-04-2008, 11:03 PM
Just having a look around the site (again :D )

On your eco policys, is that last one a wind up :confused:

I would have copied and pasted it but you wont let me :D

Danno13
22-04-2008, 11:06 PM
Ctrl+C :D

The Future - this year we are hoping to invest in a Silent Disco option whereby members of the audience wear RF headphones tuned to a specific FM frequency on which we broadcast the music - this means no power amplifiers, speakers or subwoofers required... not only our biggest electricity draw but also over 60% of the weight we carry by road. It also means that folks can choose to take off the headphones and chat without having to shout over the music!

Spirits High
22-04-2008, 11:11 PM
Ctrl+C :D

There's always one :p

Vectis
22-04-2008, 11:16 PM
On your eco policys, is that last one a wind up :confused:

Nope.

The Silent Disco tents are very popular at the two festivals here. I've floated the idea past a couple of my regular customers and there's quite a bit of demand. Not quite enough as yet to justify the investment, but it's heading the right way. I've already identified all the kit needed and a 100-headset configuration is going to be in the region of about £2k.

Spirits High
22-04-2008, 11:17 PM
Nope.

The Silent Disco tents are very popular at the two festivals here. I've floated the idea past a couple of my regular customers and there's quite a bit of demand. Not quite enough as yet to justify the investment, but it's heading the right way. I've already identified all the kit needed and a 100-headset configuration is going to be in the region of about £2k.

Well, I take it back then ;)

it just looked a bit iffy :D

Vectis
22-04-2008, 11:22 PM
it just looked a bit iffy :D

In which case I'll dig out a couple of suitable 3rd party links :)

Marc J
23-04-2008, 08:15 AM
I'd remove the no right click script
Sorry ... it's staying :p

Honestly - I appreciate that you want to protect your content and you won't budge on the no right click issue - but I'm sure I'm not the only one who prefers to press the wheel and move the mouse (rather then scroll the wheel or use scrollbars) to scroll vertically, it's a lot faster after all, and your pages do tend to be on the "long" (or should that be "informative") side. The script you're using treats me like a thief for wanting to read more content - not good! There are loads of others available which will stop the right click and nothing more.

I'm happy with the performance for now, however I do have another project I'm just about to start (not disco related for a change) so I'll be in touch.
No problem - just PM me when you're ready ;)

Vectis
23-04-2008, 09:03 AM
Honestly - I appreciate that you want to protect your content and you won't budge on the no right click issue - but I'm sure I'm not the only one who prefers to press the wheel and move the mouse (rather then scroll the wheel or use scrollbars) to scroll vertically, it's a lot faster after all, and your pages do tend to be on the "long" (or should that be "informative") side. The script you're using treats me like a thief for wanting to read more content - not good! There are loads of others available which will stop the right click and nothing more.

OK, OK you convinced me.

I've taken it off all but the front page and to be honest the images don't bother me too much as I like to rotate these to keep the site fresh, plus the images on the site are low-res and I have the originals.

I have used ondragstart and onselectstart on the handful of pages whose text I am precious about. Can't see that causing any issues.

Marc J
23-04-2008, 09:36 AM
Much better :)

I manage to pan using the middle button on the homepage no problem now, so whatever you've done there you might as well do on the others, too.

Shaun
23-04-2008, 09:41 AM
It looks good. Nice and fresh. Nice job. :)

rob1963
23-04-2008, 09:55 AM
Honestly - I appreciate that you want to protect your content and you won't budge on the no right click issue - but I'm sure I'm not the only one who prefers to press the wheel and move the mouse (rather then scroll the wheel or use scrollbars) to scroll vertically

This subject came up recently, and I remember someone stating why they had right click disabled.

I was on the verge of asking you to do the same on my site, then I saw your reply giving the reasons why you thought right click should NOT be disabled, and you converted me!

:D :D :D

DJ Frankie
23-04-2008, 11:01 AM
I love the site especially the green and white very fresh looking.

Can you tell me how you managed to round the corners of your pics in the gallery I have been trying to this for ages but with no luck, or is it a gallery template?

Vectis
23-04-2008, 11:06 AM
Can you tell me how you managed to round the corners of your pics in the gallery I have been trying to this for ages but with no luck, or is it a gallery template?

The gallery is Marc J's - one of the config options is "rounded corners" :)

PM him and I'm sure he'll point you at the script to download. It's really quite easy to use (obviously, or I wouldn't be using it!)

DJ Frankie
23-04-2008, 11:08 AM
Cool thank you, i'll drop him a PM.

Marc J
23-04-2008, 11:22 AM
The gallery is Marc J's - one of the config options is "rounded corners" :)

PM him and I'm sure he'll point you at the script to download. It's really quite easy to use (obviously, or I wouldn't be using it!)

No need to PM, it's no big secret - http://www.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=95589&postcount=11

Requires a webhost which is fine with PHP / ImageMagick / GD library etc., but most do. Any questions, just ask (but not here, this is Martin's thread!).

EDIT: The rounded corners that you're interested in are done using phpThumb() (http://phpthumb.sourceforge.net/), so if that's all you want to do then just use that on its own.

Marc J
23-04-2008, 01:51 PM
Martin, I've just had another poke around your site and your video gallery password protection is very poor :eek:

It looks like an application ideally suited to a script I've used in the past - Login Redirect (http://www.mpdolan.com/login_redirect.htm). It's fairly easy to setup and use, and I'm a moderator on their forum so if you have any questions just ask ;)

While we're on the subject of videos, take a look at JW FLV Media Player (http://www.jeroenwijering.com/?item=JW_FLV_Media_Player) for presenting videos, you could make good use of it's playlist feature if you have multiple videos per event...

Vectis
23-04-2008, 02:07 PM
Martin, I've just had another poke around your site and your video gallery password protection is very poor :eek:

Yeah I know :doh: It keeps numpties out though.

Thanks for the links... I'll add it to my list!