PDA

View Full Version : Safe or Stupid idea

Tom
23-04-2008, 11:34 PM
I have just had a brain wave but I'm not to sure it's a safe idea but I may be proven wrong.

You all know the large full range cabs with dual 15" woofers ect ect.

Would it be safe to get some kind of stand to raise these speaker off the ground and give it a bit of height??? Now I know why would you want to do that. Why not buy tops and subs? Well as I said this is just an idea.

The reason I ask is that in one of Excalibur's rig picutres he has placed a large full range cab on tip of another speaker. Well instead of having another speaker, what about a small stand???

Could this be done in a safe manner???

Penfold42
23-04-2008, 11:43 PM
I would say the stand would need to be bigger than the base....say 3'' gap all the way round and would need to be supported underneath to strengthen it.

That would take up a bit more room in your car.......:)

Tom
23-04-2008, 11:50 PM
I would say the stand would need to be bigger than the base....say 3'' gap all the way round and would need to be supported underneath to strengthen it.

That would take up a bit more room in your car.......:)

I said it was an idea. :rolleyes: :D

Then if this was to happen then i would have to strap the denon to the roof. :eek: ;)

Or fit some caster wheels and tow it behind. Whoops, off topic already.

Would there be a height issue at all???

Penfold42
23-04-2008, 11:53 PM

Not sure......but would it not be like you playing on a stage.....you make yourself safe would you not.
How high were you thinking of?

Tom
23-04-2008, 11:58 PM
Not sure......but would it not be like you playing on a stage.....you make yourself safe would you not.
How high were you thinking of?

Well the speakers are 109cm high and 46cm wide and deep. I was thinking of having 50cm bass but now after look at it with a tape measure it's starting to look a bit stupid. :(

Penfold42
24-04-2008, 12:07 AM
Well the speakers are 109cm high and 46cm wide and deep. I was thinking of having 50cm bass but now after look at it with a tape measure it's starting to look a bit stupid. :(

Oh i don't know.....maybe find something to fill that gap might make it look better.....:)

A1DL
24-04-2008, 12:43 AM
Tom, you would lose a lot of bottom end by NOT having the 15" drivers on the floor. Same reason why you don't see sub bass or kick bass cabs flown.

CRAZY K
24-04-2008, 09:36 AM
I said it was an idea. :rolleyes: :D

Then if this was to happen then i would have to strap the denon to the roof. :eek: ;)

Or fit some caster wheels and tow it behind. Whoops, off topic already.

Re extra carrying space generally--(not suitable for speakers)

ROOFBOX

http://www.roofbox.co.uk/

Best investment I ever........you know the story:D

CRAZY K

theoloyla
24-04-2008, 02:58 PM
It has been done in the past but as has been said you get a better bass resonance if the cabinets are in direct contact with the floor. In the old days of vinyl it used to create floor rumble which came up through the tone arm; so it was sometimes preferable to get your speakers off the stage to prevent this happening.

Dragonfly
24-04-2008, 03:09 PM
crikey have you considered the logistics of lifting them on and off stands???

I hereby declare myself out of the running (excuse the pun) for the job of kma's roadie :D :D :D :D

i'm sure it is possible but without injury??? im less sure.

Excalibur
24-04-2008, 05:33 PM
Tom, it's not a stupid idea. I myself am considering making something not dissimilar, because my tops are so big that I darent pole them from my
( small) subs. I have been thinking of making some form of folding stand to elevate them safely. I reckon you need something similar, only smaller.:)
Tony( A1) You're correct of course, but if he's using a twin 15" cab I think he might have enough bass, even though he could have more with them on the floor.
Theo, how right you are was brought home to me when I forgot my speaker stands, and placed my cabs on the floor. Even though they were only my normal top cabs, the increased bass response was amazing.

Tom
24-04-2008, 05:57 PM
Also just to add I was only using the 2x 15" speakers as a refference to size of cabs. :). I have yet to decide what one's to go for but I am intrested in the Mackie Range but thats on the table with all the other brands. :)

Tom
25-04-2008, 11:10 PM
This is what I have been looking at.

There are these that are around £1000 for 1000 watts rms total (a pair) - Link (http://www.mackie.com/products/sa1521z/index.html)

and

then there are these for around £1500 for 2.6k rms total (a pair) - Link (http://www.mackie.com/products/sa1530z/index.html)

I was thinking about going for the larger, more powerful speakers as I don't think I would need subs at all, well unless I'm doing a disco in a large hall which i do somtimes and I do struggle with only 1.6k. :(

I know the SA1530z are a beast at 50kg each but thats 1300 watts rms which I think is rather good.

Think about it. The DB sub 15 is 800 watts rms at 32kg and my tops are 400 watts rms at 26kg each. So if I took these three speakers our for a gig the total would be 1.6k at 84kg total weight.

The mackie would be 2.6k but at 100kg.

Hmmmm...:confused: