PDA

View Full Version : what to upload?

DJWilson
24-04-2008, 06:55 PM
Hi all,

I will need to upload my site files soon, I know that I need to upload the HTML files but what other files are needed?

Im using FileZilla for uploading.

(Thanks Marc for the help so far)

Thanks in advance

Jiggles
24-04-2008, 07:48 PM
The image files :D and if there is cascading sheet style files them as well :D .CSS files.

Tom
24-04-2008, 10:00 PM
If you created a folder for your website on your pc and evething is saved in that folder like pictures ect, then anything in that folder should be uploaded.

Also dont forget that your main page should be called index ( as in the save name)

DJWilson
25-04-2008, 04:41 PM
so i upload index.HTML 1st and then follow on. do i upload the text file as well as the PSD file?

CRAZY K
25-04-2008, 04:59 PM
so i upload index.HTML 1st and then follow on. do i upload the text file as well as the PSD file?

I think you will find everything should be in small letters--

Thats lower case apparently :D

eg. index.html

Thats all I can tell you except of course upload your pictures .jpeg
and you may have some bother getting the pictures to actually show live on the net--I did at first.

Im sure Marc will sort you out,

CRAZY K

DJWilson
25-04-2008, 05:10 PM
Thanks, Marc is/has helped and was busy lasy night so I asked here :D

in the folder i have a folder called: _vti_cnf. i opened it and all it is, is another copy of all my files. can i delete it or upload it?

and because i added images to the site do i upload the images that are not in the 'images' folder

Marc J
25-04-2008, 07:01 PM
in the folder i have a folder called: _vti_cnf. i opened it and all it is, is another copy of all my files. can i delete it or upload it?

You're obviously using Frontpage as these folders contain files needed for Frontpage Extensions. Most web servers will not support these for much longer, if they still do, and you don't have to upload them. You'll probably find that every folder has a _vti_cnf folder in it, with what look like copies of your files within it (but a smaller file size). Don't delete them as FrontPage might throw a wobbly, but you don't need to upload these _vti_cnf folders.

and because i added images to the site do i upload the images that are not in the 'images' folder

It's good practice to put any images you use in any of your pages inside the "images" folder.

Basically, you upload every .html file in your site, along with any folders / files linked from / mentioned in those files. These will include images but might also include stylesheet (.css) and javascript (.js) files. It is vital that you keep the folder structure as is when you upload files.

EDIT: If you want to stop FrontPage creating the _vti_cnf folders (which are a pain) there are instructions in post #4 here (http://forum.powweb.com/showthread.php?t=18355).

DJWilson
25-04-2008, 07:20 PM
i just moved the outside images file into the images folder and now on the mage part of the page its and 'x'. shall i just add them pictures back onto the pages and will everything be ok?