PDA

View Full Version : Deleting programs in Vista

Solitaire Events Ltd
24-04-2008, 09:53 PM
These are Windows programs that I don't need on the gig laptop (Media centre, movie maker, mail etc) and I don't want to delete them from program files and have to edit the registry afterwards and they are not showing up in add/remove programs.

Any ideas?

djsteve10
24-04-2008, 10:15 PM
Now this is something i am wanting to know too,
I was thinking maybe just delete them from the windows folder on the main C Drive and then just delete the icons on the system start bar and desktop and they should be gone?

Jiggles
24-04-2008, 10:28 PM
Ok
You cannot get rid of Media Center due to it being an integrated part of the operating system. Same with Movie maker.

Solitaire Events Ltd
24-04-2008, 10:30 PM
Now this is something i am wanting to know too,
I was thinking maybe just delete them from the windows folder on the main C Drive and then just delete the icons on the system start bar and desktop and they should be gone?

And risk your system crashing cos of outdated links etc. That is why I said I didn't want to do it that way as I don't want to start editing the registry.

Ok
You cannot get rid of Media Center due to it being an integrated part of the operating system. Same with Movie maker.

Are you sure about that?

Jiggles
24-04-2008, 10:38 PM
yep.

Solitaire Events Ltd
24-04-2008, 10:39 PM
But Movie Maker is a separate downloadable program, isn't it?

Solitaire Events Ltd
24-04-2008, 10:45 PM
But Movie Maker is a separate downloadable program, isn't it?

To answer myself....it is a separate program, but as Callum says, part of the O/S. It seems the only way to get rid of it is to edit the registry and I really am not that bothered.

Jiggles
24-04-2008, 10:53 PM
Movie maker was a separat program up to SP2 in Win XP then from there on it is built in.