PDA

View Full Version : Digital DJing reliability

rob1963
24-04-2008, 11:12 PM
Either from personal experience or from what you've heard from others, I'd be interested to see which of the following you think are the most reliable.

Maybe you could list them from 1-5 with the one you consider to be the most reliable first and the least reliable last.

Any additional comments would also be appreciated.

Cortex hard drive controller (HDC1000 etc)
Numark hard drive controller (D2 etc)
Denon hard drive controller (HD2500 etc)
External hard drive
Music software running on a laptop

:)

Tom
24-04-2008, 11:16 PM
Well to be fair I have only used a laptop, external hd and the denon hd2500 but with just those three I would go. 1 being best.

1 - Denon HD2500
2 - External Hard Drive
3 - Laptop

Creature
24-04-2008, 11:51 PM
1. Cortex

never used any of the others so i cannot say about them

videoguy
25-04-2008, 06:44 AM
External hard drive, Music software running on a laptop. :thumbs_up:

I've used this set up for the last 4 years and I can honestly say I have never had a crash or any sort of breakdown (but I do have another laptop alaways running alongside just in case).

Not used the others.

Chris.

pagan_flame
25-04-2008, 07:08 AM
External hard drive, Music software running on a laptop. :thumbs_up:

I've used this set up for the last 4 years and I can honestly say I have never had a crash or any sort of breakdown (but I do have another laptop alaways running alongside just in case).

Not used the others.

Chris.

I'm with Chris - no problems with OTSDJ and an external drive in 2 years of use. Always have the CD decks as backup as well. However, it needs to be a dedicated laptop to be stable - strip everything off it and just leave the operating system and DJ program (i.e. no Internet, antivirus or Microshaft Office cr8pola...)

...and what Creature doesn't say is how much hassle he's had with the Cortex, have a hunt around for the threads on here about it!

jamesh
25-04-2008, 09:13 AM
I'm with Chris and Pagan...

I've always used a computer or laptop system and never had any Major issues with it at all..

Just as a quick question as im confused.. Your list of..

External hard drive

On another note.... everything on the list is a form of playout system other than the external harddrive... By itself the harddrive can't actually play music :P and when hooked up to any of the above is only as reliable as the playout system itself.. So perhaps it shouldn't be included in the list... :P

But that's probably just me being a prize twonk at this early hour of the morning..

rob1963
25-04-2008, 09:14 AM
...and what Creature doesn't say is how much hassle he's had with the Cortex, have a hunt around for the threads on here about it!

Ahhh yes...I remember the thread well!

My reason for starting this thread was because I've heard contradicting reports on most of the items from a few DJs I know, so I though opening it up to everyone on here would get a larger & therefore more accurate response...so keep your opinions coming!

Solitaire Events Ltd
25-04-2008, 09:30 AM
In my experience the Denon is more reliable than the laptop running software, but I'm not sure it's a fair comparison as I've only had the Denon for less than a year and mainly used for backup and I've used several types of software with varying results over a period of 5 years.

CRAZY K
25-04-2008, 09:37 AM
Hmmm stats eh?

You cant really get proper feedback unless you had a sample of say 100 Cortex, Denon, Hard Drive, OWNERS.

Ill post my findings as an OWNER and USER in a minute.

CRAZY K

CRAZY K
25-04-2008, 09:47 AM
Cortex HDC 1000 used for 16 months ( not continually-- never had a glitch or problem --all problems CAUSED BY ME--cutting across a track thats playing:D :D :D

Second Cortex HDC 1000 bought at Xmas ( very bad timing :eek: ) only problem was it had updated software which I got backdated cos it seemed to slow down the keyboard. Did a Wedding a few weeks ago with it--excellent.

Two Seagate 320MB HDDS--used both for 16 months on and off --perfect.

PCDJ Red--- put it on my back up laptop--there was a time when it suddenly disappeared off the laptop--had to reinstall-I still think somehow that was MY FAULT--otherwise brilliant.

NEVER had a problem with any of these so they all get maximum rating.:thumbs_up:

CRAZY K

rob1963
25-04-2008, 09:47 AM
Hmmm stats eh?

You cant really get proper feedback unless you had a sample of say 100 Cortex, Denon, Hard Drive, OWNERS.

Ill post my findings as an OWNER and USER in a minute.

CRAZY K

Hiya Crazy,

I know it's not like a clinical trial...I'm just after general opinions.

Your own findings as an owner and user will do fine!

Dragonfly
25-04-2008, 09:48 AM
good morning and happy friday ............... i have used a cortex for 12 months with no problems to report added all the updates and it never let me down during a gig

also used pcdj fx for 8-9 months now and it has only ever frozen once due to a bad mp3 other than that its been very stable and reliable. i think that the success of such tyhings maybe in part due to the hd used , i have 2 freecom powered drives that have been superb never any problems and the machines seem to get on with them.

the fact i switched from cortex to pc was purely i liked the bigger screen to look at and also pcdj fx gave me better scope to expand my skills with a few more toys to play with on it.

Corabar Steve
25-04-2008, 10:12 AM
The only real issues I had with the HD2500 were sorted by defragging the external HD

KaraokeDJ
28-04-2008, 01:41 PM
External hard drive

Hi Rob.
I don't use a HD Controller. I use a laptop with a hefty internal HD. To me, digital DJing requires reliable hardware and software. As we all know it is easy to go out and by a low-cost decent spec laptop, plug in an external drive and off ya go. I started with a reasonable spec laptop a few years back and then got a really good one a couple of years ago and, with good quality software, it never let me down. I just bought the new model of the same laptop - but this time with 320Gig HD space so I don't have to lug and setup external drives (they are alwyas in the truck though as backups). External hard drives using USB 2.0 are quick though and using them never gave me any hickups.

So, you want to know what I'd recommend:

I'd say, with the right spec of laptop and the right software, has gotta be the most reliable. Also the easiest to fix if it goes wrong. Turn it off and reboot it.
I'd put an external drive in 2nd place because it depends on the drive, the enclosure and also the capabilities of your USB and how many other devices are draining the USB recsources.
Regarding the controllers I can't comment but from my experience, too much can go wrong.

I guess it depends on the type of DJ you are. I like to keep things simple. I still use CDs a lot of the time when I'm DJing! I find the more controllers etc., the more worry and headaches.

We have enough to do and to pay attention to without umpteen fiddly knobs and menus on controllers - I'd rather leave them for the club DJs.

Solitaire Events Ltd
28-04-2008, 01:55 PM
Regarding the controllers I can't comment but from my experience, too much can go wrong.

I think you have that completely the wrong way round.

A laptop is not made for DJing or music playback and a lot can go wrong.

A dedicated controller is made specifically for Djing.

Solitaire Events Ltd
28-04-2008, 02:11 PM
I know. I was offering my opinion from my experience and the way I like to do things. If a controller works well for you then that's the way for you but for me I'm comfortable and confident with laptop DJing.

I guess everyone's got their opinion. Mine's right for me and your's is right for you.

FYI I use a laptop and HD controller for backup and this isn't about opinions, it's a fact that the HD controller is made for DJing and the laptop isn't.

rob1963
28-04-2008, 02:17 PM
A laptop is not made for DJing or music playback and a lot can go wrong.

A dedicated controller is made specifically for Djing.

I agree.

A friend of mine uses a laptop, and he had a problem with the socket due to the amount of times he had plugged into the (headphone?) output at gigs.

Also, if I remember correctly, Darren, when I roadied for you last year, you told me that your laptop/software programme had crashed a few weeks earlier.

KaraokeDJ
28-04-2008, 02:40 PM
FYI I use a laptop and HD controller for backup and this isn't about opinions, it's a fact that the HD controller is made for DJing and the laptop isn't.

:zip: I'll shut it then and keep my opinions to myself ... :bang:

Solitaire Events Ltd
28-04-2008, 02:46 PM
:zip: I'll shut it then and keep my opinions to myself ... :bang:

As I said, the comment wasn't about opinions - it is simply a fact.

KaraokeDJ
28-04-2008, 02:54 PM
I'm just after general opinions.
Your own findings as an owner and user will do fine!

That's interesting - I've just been told in no uncertain terms by the 'head cheese' that it is about fact and not opinions...

So, good luck getting a variety of 'opinions' Rob.

Solitaire Events Ltd
28-04-2008, 03:03 PM
That's interesting - I've just been told in no uncertain terms by the 'head cheese' that it is about fact and not opinions...

So, good luck getting a variety of 'opinions' Rob.

If you want to start making stupid comments then don't bother posting on this site.

I will say once again, a laptop is not specifically made for DJing, a HDD controller is. That is fact, not opinion.

paull
28-04-2008, 04:30 PM
I use a flightcased PC with internal hard drives running Traktor. As back up I have dual Denon CD decks. Have had one freeze in two years when I was running a DMX lighting programm on the same machine.

Went this way because controllers were too expensive when I made the change and this option gave me the most flexibilty and greatest amount of cooling which has been a problem with some laptops in the past.

Regards

Paul

www.spectrumdisco-dj.co.uk
www.e-designs.org.uk

DJWayne
28-04-2008, 04:50 PM
Not going to enter into the fray of what is and isnt made for DJing as that looks to be a bit of a minefield lol

I use a laptop and external hard drive i have been doing so for longer than i can remember (so about 3 years) I have never had any serious issues with this system but my laptop is dedicated for work it doesnt go on the internet it runs the minimum of services and only has the required DJ software installed.

I don't think one system is "better" than the other i think its personal preference , i do karaoke and video as well so a HD controller wouldnt benefit me where a laptop does all the requied jobs, for someone who only does disco a HD controller may be better horses for courses and all that :D

Solitaire Events Ltd
28-04-2008, 05:02 PM
my laptop is dedicated for work it doesnt go on the internet it runs the minimum of services and only has the required DJ software installed.

So is mine, but it is not a dedicated tool for DJing and the hard drive players are.

How many more times do I need to say it....:bang:

DJWayne
28-04-2008, 05:05 PM
So is mine, but it is not a dedicated tool for DJing and the hard drive players are.

How many more times do I need to say it....:bang:

Stop it you will give yourself a headache :P

No a laptop is not a dedicated DJ tool - there i said it :D

I was just making the point that i keep one laptop for doing my general computer type stuff and another for work as mixing the two uses can lead to unexpected problems.

Solitaire Events Ltd
28-04-2008, 05:08 PM
Stop it you will give yourself a headache :P

No a laptop is not a dedicated DJ tool - there i said it :D

I was just making the point that i keep one laptop for doing my general computer type stuff and another for work as mixing the two uses can lead to unexpected problems.

Yay, someone that listens! :)

I understand the point you are making and agree - my gig machines are stripped down to bare minimum too but things can still go wrong and there is a lot more that can go wrong with a computer because generally it has a lot of extra rubbish on it that you don't need for DJing and all that 'bloat' is not on a HD player.

Dragonfly
28-04-2008, 05:26 PM
the only thing i could maybe say on the controllers versus laptop debate is the controllers are still relatively new technology are they not? some dj's have been using certain software with certain laptops for a comparitively long while.

the controllers have been around ..... a couple of years? so surely there has to still be a faint pencilled in question mark against long term reliability and stability?

just my thoughts.

and yes i concede alot more can probably go wrong with a laptop ..... if you drop a bass bin on a laptop it smashes to bits ........if you drop a controller from 4ft (from experience) it is fine :D :D

and yes the controller only has the designated music software on it for the job whereas a pc even if you strip it down may still have (irremovable components) is that a word??? that may pop up and confuse the machine.

I have been very lucky with both and not had any problems.

Tom
28-04-2008, 05:35 PM
the only thing i could maybe say on the controllers versus laptop debate is the controllers are still relatively new technology are they not? some dj's have been using certain software with certain laptops for a comparitively long while.

It's a shame you couldnt get a Denon sticker for your laptop. :D:D:D

I think anyone moving from playing cd's over to either a laptop or hd controller will be a bit daunting.

As dragonfly has said this is still relatively new technology. Maby in a few years or sooner this may get a lot better and instead of having a build in hd it will have a solid state, like a flash drive or a sd card but a lot bigger but then again this is new technology aswell.

Dragonfly
28-04-2008, 05:42 PM

If I think back Tom I can remember a time when I liked you :D :D :D :D :D :D

isn't it about time for your practice?? :D :D :D

just to clarify my post ... I am not at all suggesting the technology is'nt 100% reliable as it may well be but .... there is more people who have used pcdj successfully with no problems for however many years it has been out than have used a controller for that time with no problem hence my comments .

CRAZY K
28-04-2008, 05:49 PM

I think anyone moving from playing cd's over to either a laptop or hd controller will be a bit daunting.

As dragonfly has said this is still relatively new technology. Maby in a few years or sooner this may get a lot better and instead of having a build in hd it will have a solid state, like a flash drive or a sd card but a lot bigger but then again this is new technology aswell.

Daunting? why would that be?

I went over to Digital Xmas 2006 and have used it ( not every week ) for my bookings without a single hitch ---even with a Cortex :eek:

Ok I had a lot of practice and backtested it continually for a while until I was happy--but hey all you do is type in a title, select and wait for it to load your track.

And im only a humble Barn Dance Caller:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

CRAZY K

rob1963
28-04-2008, 05:56 PM
im only a humble Barn Dance Caller:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

CRAZY K

Stop underestimating yourself.

You are the world famous Crazy K!

:D :D :D :D :D

Tom
28-04-2008, 06:14 PM
Isn't it about time for your practice?? :D :D :D

Already had it. :)

Daunting? why would that be?

CRAZY K

That might of been the wrong word to say.

What I mean is that some people are happy using cd's but want to go digital to keep up with everybody but don't feel ready for the big step.

CRAZY K
28-04-2008, 07:09 PM
Already had it. :)

That might of been the wrong word to say.

What I mean is that some people are happy using cd's but want to go digital to keep up with everybody but don't feel ready for the big step.

Trust me-its not a big step--its very simple.

If someone of my age can cope with it--AND Excalibur shortly :D :D :D :D :D

YOU CAN DO IT:cool:

CRAZY K

Excalibur
28-04-2008, 07:18 PM
Trust me-its not a big step--its very simple.

If someone of my age can cope with it--AND Excalibur shortly :D :D :D :D :D

YOU CAN DO IT:cool:

CRAZY K

I wonder if you are crediting me with more skill, knowledge, and luck than I could reasonably expect to possess? :confused: :D :D :D :D
I shall shortly be starting a thread along the lines of " War and Peace, the unedited version" which will chronicle my trials, tribulations, and many many questions on what to do! ;) ;) :D :D

spin mobile disco
28-04-2008, 08:47 PM
1 numark d2
2 cortex hdc 1000
3 dennon hd
4 laptop

Dragonfly
28-04-2008, 08:49 PM
is that in reverse order spin ?? :D :D :D

not even i'm brave enough to put the denon 3rd :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

surely with all the reported issues even just on this forum the cortex can't warrant 2nd???

or is that ranking based on your personal dealings with the machines??

spin mobile disco
28-04-2008, 08:55 PM
Personal use. Never had a problem with the numark, had a minor problem (my fault as well) with cortex. Have a friend with a dennon who reports various problems. And I have a laptop I use for venues who provide all playout type systems and I have found it the most unreliable of them. (running pcdjfx by the way)
The cortex has been much maligned. Most problems have been user error or possible a bad batch of them. I guess all the problem ones may have been tested or completed by the same person hense the apparant problems.

Solitaire Events Ltd
28-04-2008, 09:01 PM
Personal use. Never had a problem with the numark, had a minor problem (my fault as well) with cortex. Have a friend with a dennon who reports various problems. And I have a laptop I use for venues who provide all playout type systems and I have found it the most unreliable of them. (running pcdjfx by the way)
The cortex has been much maligned. Most problems have been user error or possible a bad batch of them. I guess all the problem ones may have been tested or completed by the same person hense the apparant problems.

If it's personal use then take the Denon out of the list as you say it's a friend who's had problems.

CRAZY K
28-04-2008, 09:36 PM
I wonder if you are crediting me with more skill, knowledge, and luck than I could reasonably expect to possess? :confused: :D :D :D :D
I shall shortly be starting a thread along the lines of " War and Peace, the unedited version" which will chronicle my trials, tribulations, and many many questions on what to do! ;) ;) :D :D

YOU KNOW MY CORTEX CONSULTATION RATES ARE VERY REASONABLE:D :D :D

CRAZY K

is that in reverse order spin ?? :D :D :D

not even i'm brave enough to put the denon 3rd :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

surely with all the reported issues even just on this forum the cortex can't warrant 2nd???

or is that ranking based on your personal dealings with the machines??

So far only Creatures experience has persuaded me his Cortex unit was faulty.

We dont actually know for sure about the others ( far as I know )

CRAZY K

Dragonfly
28-04-2008, 09:41 PM
So far only Creatures experience has persuaded me his Cortex unit was faulty.

We dont actually know for sure about the others ( far as I know )

CRAZY K

indeed i agree but we imo have seen more ive had a problem with my cortex threads than ive had a problem with my denon/d2??

you know i agree with you Alan I think 90% of problems with technology is related the the operater in some way or other , but as i say just seem to have seen more cortex problem threads ... and the d2 / denon ones seem to be solved easier and quicker....

please don't tell Tony I've posted this. :D :D

and yes my cortex never let me down once and was a superb piece of kit as far as im concerned.

Excalibur
28-04-2008, 09:58 PM
YOU KNOW MY CORTEX CONSULTATION RATES ARE VERY REASONABLE:D :D :D

CRAZY K

CRAZY K

If they're anything like your caller rates, as a poor Yorkshireman I'm stuffed then! :( :( :(

rob1963
28-04-2008, 11:12 PM
1 numark d2
2 cortex hdc 1000
3 dennon hd
4 laptop

Never had a problem with the numark

This is excellent news, as my D2 is about to be installed into my brand new digital console.

Cheers Spin!

:thumbsup: :beerchug: :D

djqacy
30-04-2008, 06:16 AM
Im using the Numark D2 for a year now and had no problems at all.
I have an External 120GB HD with it and a 2GB flash key. And also the ipod 60GB for double backup.

I have never worked with the Denon or the Cortex contoller or laptop either.

rob1963
30-04-2008, 08:48 AM
From what I've read so far, it seems the Numark is more reliable than the Cortex.

I think it's also true to say that the majority of problems with hard drive controllers are actually due to faults with the hard drives or individual music files rather than the controllers themselves.

Vectis
30-04-2008, 08:55 AM
Well I've only used (live) laptops with OTS Turntables, OTS DJ and the d2.

The OTS software has never so much as faltered once (finger trouble, yes, but that's not down to the hardware ;) ) BUT will occasionally refuse to play a file if it's corrupt. Not a problem if it's in the queue because it's clearly shown with a red cross next to it, but if you're cueing just-in-time it can catch you out.

Show the d2 the same corrupt file and it just gets on with it. You might hear a click or a jump when the corrupt bit passes through but it never ever refuses to play anything. Not that I have many corrupt files mind... just occasionally and usually with stuff I encoded many years ago when mp3 was the latest & greatest and the software wasn't up to much.

So, I have 99.9% confidence in OTS and 100.0% confidence in the d2.

Good choice Rob.

rob1963
30-04-2008, 08:59 AM
Well I've only used (live) laptops with OTS Turntables, OTS DJ and the d2.

The OTS software has never so much as faltered once (finger trouble, yes, but that's not down to the hardware ;) ) BUT will occasionally refuse to play a file if it's corrupt. Not a problem if it's in the queue because it's clearly shown with a red cross next to it, but if you're cueing just-in-time it can catch you out.

Show the d2 the same corrupt file and it just gets on with it. You might hear a click or a jump when the corrupt bit passes through but it never ever refuses to play anything. Not that I have many corrupt files mind... just occasionally and usually with stuff I encoded many years ago when mp3 was the latest & greatest and the software wasn't up to much.

So, I have 99.9% confidence in OTS and 100.0% confidence in the d2.

Good choice Rob.

Thanks vectis...that gives me great confidence in the D2.

I'm hoping to start using it in the next few weeks, and am looking forward to posting the results of it's first outing.

Royalblue
30-04-2008, 09:37 AM
I tried using PCDJ VJ with Vista and found it crashed coniuously. Reverted to XP and have had no problems since. Have never had a crash using a laptop with XP and always found it very reliable.

CRAZY K
30-04-2008, 09:51 AM
From what I've read so far, it seems the Numark is more reliable than the Cortex.

I think it's also true to say that the majority of problems with hard drive controllers are actually due to faults with the hard drives or individual music files rather than the controllers themselves.

STATEMENT ONE

IN THE WORLD OF STATISTICS THATS A FLAWED STATEMENT ROB.

All you are judging on is a minute (MY-NUTE) sample.

You would need a much larger sample to consider before coming to that conclusion--like contacting say 10 main distributors who sell large amounts of USB readers.

Report back to us when you have done that:D :D :D

Im not supporting any particular USB reader--just bringing some balance to the discussion.

I have to say that I think from my own experiences the Cortex may be less able to find and play MP3s that are not tagged properly--whereas my Laptop can--but thats covered below.

STATEMENT TWO

:thumbs_up:

Enjoy Digital--youll love it!

CRAZY K

Solitaire Events Ltd
30-04-2008, 10:32 AM
I tried using PCDJ VJ with Vista and found it crashed coniuously. Reverted to XP and have had no problems since. Have never had a crash using a laptop with XP and always found it very reliable.

Bizarre, as PCDJ have said that VJ should run better on Vista. I have it on a Vista machine and have had a crash while testing, but that wasn't due to the O/S, more to do with a dodgy Mp3.

Marc J
30-04-2008, 10:40 AM
STATEMENT ONE

Ah, but did you know that 4% of statistics are wrong?

OK....back on topic ;)

DJWayne
30-04-2008, 12:40 PM
Bizarre, as PCDJ have said that VJ should run better on Vista. I have it on a Vista machine and have had a crash while testing, but that wasn't due to the O/S, more to do with a dodgy Mp3.

I have had crashes with PCDJ VJ and Virtual DJ (same thing) on vista and found sometthing rather interesting.

Turn off the vista sidebar ( the bit on the right hand side of the screen with the clock etc) and the software works flawlessly but with it on it crashes regularly it seems.

Just thought i would share that with you all :)

Solitaire Events Ltd
30-04-2008, 12:48 PM
I have had crashes with PCDJ VJ and Virtual DJ (same thing) on vista and found sometthing rather interesting.

Turn off the vista sidebar ( the bit on the right hand side of the screen with the clock etc) and the software works flawlessly but with it on it crashes regularly it seems.

Just thought i would share that with you all :)

To be honest, all non essential services should be turned off anyway and it is advised that the laptop or machine is just used for gigging.

Whenever I buy a new gig machine, I optiimise it and get rid of all the bloat that it comes with (especially Vista) as generally it helps the software to run a lot smoother.

DJWayne
30-04-2008, 12:55 PM
To be honest, all non essential services should be turned off anyway and it is advised that the laptop or machine is just used for gigging.

Whenever I buy a new gig machine, I optiimise it and get rid of all the bloat that it comes with (especially Vista) as generally it helps the software to run a lot smoother.

Agree 100%

my work laptop is windows XP and is stripped down to bare bones i have the software installed on my other laptop just to play about with in the house and thats how i found this little vista bug.

The main problem with laptops is people who have limited computer knowledge wouldnt know how to strip out the non essential services so end up with an unstable system when working. Maybe someone should write a guide i would if i could get a spare hour :D

rob1963
30-04-2008, 01:22 PM

STATEMENT ONE

You would need a much larger sample to consider before coming to that conclusion--like contacting say 10 main distributors who sell large amounts of USB readers.

Report back to us when you have done that:D :D :D

CRAZY K

You're right, Crazy, I am basing my thoughts on the small sample I've heard about, although I see nothing wrong in doing this, as it may not be a clinical trial, but it DOES start to give you a rough idea.

I have seen opinions from a similar number of Cortex users & Numark users, both on here & from people I know.

About half a dozen cortex users have moaned about problems with the unit (in a few cases, LOTS of problems), but so far the D2 has a clean bill of health.

Time will tell if this changes, and I'll find out for myself about the D2 in a few weeks time when I start using it out on the road.

Solitaire Events Ltd
30-04-2008, 01:28 PM
Agree 100%

my work laptop is windows XP and is stripped down to bare bones i have the software installed on my other laptop just to play about with in the house and thats how i found this little vista bug.

The main problem with laptops is people who have limited computer knowledge wouldnt know how to strip out the non essential services so end up with an unstable system when working. Maybe someone should write a guide i would if i could get a spare hour :D

There is one that I have used for XP, but not for Vista. I might have posted it on another forum - I'll try and dig it out and post it here.

Excalibur
01-05-2008, 06:21 AM
So as we sit here, I'm considering going from a bombproof multi backup free system of CD's to a system with many possible failure points, a way of working I don't understand, which is going to cost more to licence than to buy. Just wanted to get that clear in my own head. :( :bang:

rob1963
01-05-2008, 09:36 AM
So as we sit here, I'm considering going from a bombproof multi backup free system of CD's to a system with many possible failure points, a way of working I don't understand, which is going to cost more to licence than to buy. Just wanted to get that clear in my own head. :( :bang:

Since when were CDs bombproof?

I think CD players are the least reliable of ALL music playout systems.

In the decade or so that I've been using CDs, I'd say there have been at least a dozen occasions when the player packed up. In other words, something went wrong with it & it stopped working.

How many people have had the same experience with hard drive controllers, laptops or even mini discs or vinyl?

Excalibur...go digital...you know it makes sense!

:D

CRAZY K
01-05-2008, 09:49 AM

I was rather hopeful until Sunday that a licence was going to be available at reasonable cost and terms to cover MCPS situations.

Now im not so sure.

I really would not worry about USB players or Hard Drives.

Long as you have back up no problem at all.

Course theres always vinyl--now thats reliable :rolleyes:

CRAZY K

Daryll
01-05-2008, 04:25 PM
Been Using a Toshiba L10-300 with stripped down XP pro .
Only software on it is Sam Party DJ , never had a fault yet :rolleyes:
I just make sure that nothing powers down without me doing it, no screen savers , plain black background and most of the services turned off , I believe there is a thread here about making XP very small and fast.

Daryll

DazzyD
01-05-2008, 09:02 PM
Been Using a Toshiba L10-300 with stripped down XP pro .
Only software on it is Sam Party DJ , never had a fault yet :rolleyes:
I just make sure that nothing powers down without me doing it, no screen savers , plain black background and most of the services turned off , I believe there is a thread here about making XP very small and fast.

Daryll

At last! A mention of SAM Party DJ! I was beginning to think I was the only one on here who'd ever tried this!.

I had a trial of SAM and I must say, it was probably the easiest to use audio playout software ever created. It's main uses are for internet radio and pub background music but it's a fantastic piece of software for the mobile DJ.

Anyway, I've just found this thread and I've a few comments to make.

Firstly, someone near the start said that hard-drives couldn't be used alone. Not quite true - depends on what hard-drive you use. Take, for example, the VocoPro Media Jukebox - essentially an 80Gb hard-drive but can be connected straight to a mixer/amp/tv and operates via remote control (though I was expect the use of a visual monitor with it).

Secondly, laptops are not intended for DJing? Again, depends on what laptop you're using. For example PCDJ's 00DJ laptop has been designed and built specifically for the purpose of mobile DJing. The only thing against this neat little toy is it's £2000+ price tag. And let's not forget that computers have been involved in the music industry for decades. Atari and Commodore Amiga both has systems used in music production and playout and you can't tell me that todays systems are not up to the job in the way that these models did it. I had my first computer in 1982 and it was capable of making music then. Computers have changed beyond recognition from the old Sinclair ZX81 and it's all been for the better.

Anyway, Rob. I have lots of respect for you so the only real advice I could give you is try it out for yourself. A few "bedroom" gigs before the real thing and then you'll know just how reliable your kit is.

Welcome to the Digital Age and Good Luck, mate!

CRAZY K
01-05-2008, 09:24 PM
You're right, Crazy, I am basing my thoughts on the small sample I've heard about, although I see nothing wrong in doing this, as it may not be a clinical trial, but it DOES start to give you a rough idea.

I have seen opinions from a similar number of Cortex users & Numark users, both on here & from people I know.

About half a dozen cortex users have moaned about problems with the unit (in a few cases, LOTS of problems), but so far the D2 has a clean bill of health.

Time will tell if this changes, and I'll find out for myself about the D2 in a few weeks time when I start using it out on the road.

Rob, Name me 6 people with proven Cortex problems not connected to hard drives or dodgy MP3 files-I dont mean illegal :D

Other than Creature.

Id be interested.

As I said--I do think Cortex does struggle with corrupted wrongly tagged files-

Ill name 3 who have had no problems--

Me, Dragonfly, Spin

CRAZY K

yourdj
02-05-2008, 01:58 AM
Get a Mac they never stall or hardly go slow. 97% reliable. They also have a nice glowing apple which looks like you know your stuff.

Im a Denon HD2500 user too ,still have not found time to get used to it yet or work out the mac issues with them!

Jiggles
02-05-2008, 08:40 AM
Get a Mac they never stall or hardly go slow. 97% reliable. They also have a nice glowing apple which looks like you know your stuff.

yeees! At about 3 times the cost... I do own a mac nice PC. Wouldnt want to use it DJ mind you. Not alot of software for it.

soundtracker
02-05-2008, 08:43 AM
But do you actually need a lot of soft-ware on a gigging computer?

rob1963
02-05-2008, 09:17 AM
Rob, Name me 6 people with proven Cortex problems not connected to hard drives or dodgy MP3 files-I dont mean illegal :D CRAZY K

I can't, Crazy, as I don't know whether the faults were with the actual Cortex or not.

However, I think it would be an amazing coincidence if everyone with a dodgy hard drive or dodgy MP3 files just happened to be using a Cortex rather than a Numark.

Shakermaker Promotions
02-05-2008, 09:19 AM
"So far only Creatures experience has persuaded me his Cortex unit was faulty. We dont actually know for sure about the others ( far as I know )"
CRAZY K

Now, I know that I went on about the Cortex the other day because of the problems I had with it but I can tell you that the guy at the shop called me yesterday to say that he had heard from Cortex who reported that the unit was faulty internally. What the problem was I don't know and to be honest, I don't really care now but if I can get him to tell me exactly what it was so that you have a clearer picture then I will try.

I didn't have any corrupt tracks are far as I know as the long and tiresome task of ripping them was done by myself. No illegal downloads either and just i-tunes tracks transferred to mp3. The examples I gave the other day were pretty watered down ones to be honest and even though my post was a long one, believe me, it could've been a lot longer!!

Even if there is a corrupt file on the Denon (which as I said, there shouldn't be), the Denon will just ignore it and not play it. It won't shut the whole unit down like the Cortex does which causes untold embarassment.

I can see that the Cortex is a good idea, it's cheap too which is the best thing but I have lost the confidence in that product because of my bad experience...an experience which certain people on here seem to think was my fault (slow HD etc). Well to put it clear, yes the Western Digital passport drive was a bit slow for the unit but I have tried it for 4 hours yesterday in my living room on the Denon and no problems whatsoever. I'm not using it though as I have a brand new HD stuck into the flightcase now.

yourdj
02-05-2008, 09:43 AM
yeees! At about 3 times the cost... I do own a mac nice PC. Wouldnt want to use it DJ mind you. Not alot of software for it.

Good point, i do put a security cable on mine, but there is also damage possibilities, which is why i bought the Denon. The stability is the best thing as it is reliable and wont crash as much as Windows. There are some good s/h G4 machines available at a good price.

There are mixing programs (such as Tractor etc) and especially music production stuff available (ableton etc). and Denon are bringing out a Mac music manager later this year. Well thats what the bloke on the Denon stall told me last Sunday anyway?

I just use itunes and the 12 second mix thing for pre set playlists and requests really.

I have actually seriously been thinking of buying a small pc to use soely for music and just use the mac for my other business.

rob1963
02-05-2008, 01:26 PM
Show the d2 the same corrupt file and it just gets on with it. You might hear a click or a jump when the corrupt bit passes through but it never ever refuses to play anything.

I think that's a good point, vectis.

When I was first playing with my D2, I came across a track which was obviously a bit dodgy, as there were places where it slightly jumped or dropped out for a small fraction of a second...but it still played all the way through to the end.

Luckily, I had a second copy of the same track on a different CD, so I just re-ripped it & replaced the file which had the slight problem.

CRAZY K
04-05-2008, 10:54 AM
"So far only Creatures experience has persuaded me his Cortex unit was faulty. We dont actually know for sure about the others ( far as I know )"
CRAZY K

Now, I know that I went on about the Cortex the other day because of the problems I had with it but I can tell you that the guy at the shop called me yesterday to say that he had heard from Cortex who reported that the unit was faulty internally. What the problem was I don't know and to be honest, I don't really care now but if I can get him to tell me exactly what it was so that you have a clearer picture then I will try.

I didn't have any corrupt tracks are far as I know as the long and tiresome task of ripping them was done by myself. No illegal downloads either and just i-tunes tracks transferred to mp3. The examples I gave the other day were pretty watered down ones to be honest and even though my post was a long one, believe me, it could've been a lot longer!!

Even if there is a corrupt file on the Denon (which as I said, there shouldn't be), the Denon will just ignore it and not play it. It won't shut the whole unit down like the Cortex does which causes untold embarassment.

I can see that the Cortex is a good idea, it's cheap too which is the best thing but I have lost the confidence in that product because of my bad experience...an experience which certain people on here seem to think was my fault (slow HD etc). Well to put it clear, yes the Western Digital passport drive was a bit slow for the unit but I have tried it for 4 hours yesterday in my living room on the Denon and no problems whatsoever. I'm not using it though as I have a brand new HD stuck into the flightcase now.

Just catching up again--

Good to hear to your sorted now--

That makes 2 defective Cortex units then:D

From a statistical point of view I still think the comparison figures are compiled on a much too small sample, although of course if your looking at faulty manufacture at OUTSET--i.e using immediately after buying I suppose you would expect more problems from a cheaper unit than an expensive one.

The real crunch is long term reliability -i.e. 6 to 12 months and onwards down the line.

Far as I have heard on here-no owner of a USB reader--- Denon, Cortex. D2 have had any reliability problems once any initial defects at OUTSET have been sorted out ---

Hard Drives--that appears to be a different story.

CRAZY K