PDA

View Full Version : website

flatliners
25-04-2008, 09:56 AM
i am thinking about getting a website but havent got a clue what to do.
can anyone recomend a site that could walk me through.
i am after something with a flash banner or flash page and maybe put pics and a video on the site i want is to look a classy website not tacky .
i know zip about this

Shaun
25-04-2008, 10:07 AM
Are you looking to hire someone to build you a site, or are you looking to build one yourself?

If the latter, I'd advise against it, unless you have a lot of time at hand to learn the ins and outs of web design and search engine optimisation. I'll give the same advice as I always do....'Hire a Professional (http://www.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=1182)'.

rob1963
25-04-2008, 10:28 AM
Are you looking to hire someone to build you a site, or are you looking to build one yourself?

If the latter, I'd advise against it, unless you have a lot of time at hand to learn the ins and outs of web design and search engine optimisation. I'll give the same advice as I always do....'Hire a Professional (http://www.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=1182)'.

:agree:

Solitaire Events Ltd
25-04-2008, 10:31 AM
Or as a starter if you have no idea and a small budget, try 1&1 hosting. You just choose a template, add your text and photos and away you go. I'm not sure what the prices are now, but it used to be £1.99 a month for 8 pages.

However, for a long term solution and if you have more of a budget, then do as the others have said.

Marc J
25-04-2008, 10:48 AM
By the sounds of it you want to have a go at it yourself, no offense but the "for dummies (http://www.amazon.com/Web-Design-Dummies-Lisa-Lopuck/dp/0764508237)" range of books is probably your best bet.

Set aside plenty of time and be ready to take (and act on) any constructive criticism. It's highly likely that you'll scrap at least your first 2 efforts, so don't even put them online (at least not at your "real" address, make a "preview" temporary address so you can get others' opinions).

Try to resist the temptation to add music (that plays instantly), animated gifs (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMyEGgbrJBw) or Flash elements, for now at least.

As Darren said, a lot of hosts offer packages with an online site builder thrown in, so this is perhaps a "half-way-house" between starting from scratch on your own and paying someone else to do it for you.

DJ Frankie
25-04-2008, 10:58 AM
My advise is to get Marc to design it for you. By the time you spend out money on software, books etc etc he would have one ready waiting for you. I wish I had done this a few years back it wouldnt have cost me as much. ;)

Marc how do you go about setting up a temp "Preview" address before uplaoding for real, this sounds like a good plan to me.

P.s I have also sent you a mail regarding the gallery. (Soory to hijack the thread)

Marc J
25-04-2008, 11:06 AM
Marc how do you go about setting up a temp "Preview" address before uplaoding for real, this sounds like a good plan to me.
Say you have www.yourdomain.co.uk, you don't want to be uploading your first effort (or any work in progress) to the actual (final destination) address, as this will (a) do you more harm than good when potential clients see your poor or "in progress" site and (b) could be crawled / spidered / cached when you don't really want it to be.

For your work in progress site, either simply created a subfolder (www.yourdomain.co.uk/wip/) or a subdomain (http://wip.yourdomain.co.uk) to upload your WIP stuff to instead. Add a robots.txt file excluding all robots from it (so it isn't spidered by search engines) to the folder, and you could even add htaccess protection ("web protect" if you use cPanel) to limit access to authorised viewers only.

P.s I have also sent you a mail regarding the gallery. (Soory to hijack the thread)
I've done that already! Check your email :p

flatliners
25-04-2008, 11:26 AM
i think going down the the lines of getting someone to do it. but what would that cost flash page or banner a few pics and a video

Shaun
25-04-2008, 11:28 AM
i think going down the the lines of getting someone to do it. but what would that cost flash page or banner a few pics and a video

How long is a piece of string?. You would have to contact the web designer direct, and discuss things in detail before they could give you a price.

Like everything else in life...you get what you pay for.

flatliners
25-04-2008, 11:52 AM
marc would you be able do a website. do you have any work you have done so i can have a look at. i have been looking at some websites and if i gave you a a link to them to give you a ruff idea thanx

Shaun
25-04-2008, 11:59 AM
marc would you be able do a website. do you have any work you have done so i can have a look at. i have been looking at some websites and if i gave you a a link to them to give you a ruff idea thanx

Marc did my website (see link in my signature). To discuss Marc doing work for you, you'll have to contact him directly and not on the open forum, as the forum rules prohibit him from discussing business.

DJ Frankie
25-04-2008, 12:07 PM
I've done that already! Check your email :p

Wow thanks Marc, check your email.

Marc J
25-04-2008, 12:15 PM
To discuss Marc doing work for you, you'll have to contact him directly and not on the open forum, as the forum rules prohibit him from discussing business.

:agree: What he said :)

Wow thanks Marc, check your email.

:beerchug: Thanks :beerchug:

rob1963
25-04-2008, 12:19 PM
Marc did my website

And my amended website.

:thumbsup: