PDA

View Full Version : Hi. having problems getting money out of client after event

barmy
29-04-2008, 10:01 AM
can anyone advise?

we done an event for a fellow dj, who paid us by cheque.

the cheque bounced after the event, and they are proving hard to get hold of, I have address contact details etc

every time i try to contact them, they either promise to send it, or have already done so?

what action is next?

Vectis
29-04-2008, 10:05 AM
www.moneyclaim.gov.uk

The application fee (which you have to pay) will be added to the claim.
If you win and they still don't pay, they'll receive a CCJ.

DJ Frankie
29-04-2008, 11:38 AM
Why dont you go round to his house and demand cash there and then, he wont be able to wiggle out of it then.

Solitaire Events Ltd
29-04-2008, 11:42 AM
Unless he hasn't got the money of course.

barmy
29-04-2008, 12:53 PM
Why dont you go round to his house and demand cash there and then, he wont be able to wiggle out of it then.

lol, great, except he lives 3 hours from me:D

DJ Frankie
29-04-2008, 01:01 PM

Oh maybe not then.....:p

rob1963
29-04-2008, 01:48 PM

Oh maybe not then.....:p

Or maybe tell him that if you have to visit him, you'll need to charge an extra £50 to cover your time, travel expenses & inconvenience.

:D

theoloyla
29-04-2008, 04:54 PM
Go to court!

barmy
29-04-2008, 04:58 PM
has anyone ever done the online thingy? what do you need? (except the fee of course!)

Solitaire Events Ltd
29-04-2008, 05:08 PM
I would read through the procedure. There's plenty of info on the site.

Vectis
29-04-2008, 05:15 PM
has anyone ever done the online thingy? what do you need? (except the fee of course!)

Yes, three times. Only once for money owing, the others were defective goods.

Won all three times. It's really quite cool. Fill in the form online (watch the silly rules about number of characters etc.), fill in your card details and wait.

barmy
29-04-2008, 05:22 PM
cool, many thanks.

This is the first time i have had to take it this far. i dont like doing it.

But we have done the gig, and this guy is taking the wee wee.

have been in touch with the client, who booked the gig(was reluctant to do so but...) and find out he owes HER money too!

i have given him till monday, to come up with the funds, so thanks for all the info.

DazzyD
29-04-2008, 05:39 PM
I know you can't name this 'fellow dj' on the forum so I think I'll just tune it to Watchdog over the next few couple of weeks! ;)

Seriously tho, we only take cheques if they're received 2 weeks before the gig. That way, if there's any problems we can call the gig off and not be left out of pocket. Most people tend to prefer to pay in cash anyway. Although I was once hit with a bundle of funny money. :( I got paid in the dark and didn't check it properly. In fact I didn't realise until I went shopping in ASDA the next day! :Embarassed:

Once bitten, twice shy so they say!

theoloyla
29-04-2008, 06:07 PM
cool, many thanks.

This is the first time i have had to take it this far. i dont like doing it.

But we have done the gig, and this guy is taking the wee wee.

have been in touch with the client, who booked the gig(was reluctant to do so but...) and find out he owes HER money too!

i have given him till monday, to come up with the funds, so thanks for all the info.
Woahh!!!! Who are you pursuing for the money? The person who booked you is the one who your contract is with (do you have a signed contract/agreement/letter of confirmation?).

barmy
29-04-2008, 08:50 PM
the booking was made with another dj, who could not travel to the event. the client had booked him, which he in turn had booked us. she paid him, and he hasnt paid us

theoloyla
09-05-2008, 03:23 PM
Right understood; so it is the other dj who owes you the money on who's behalf you were working. Hope you got it in writing. Either way sue him. A contract is a contract whether its verbal or written - it's just easier to prove if its in writing.

yourdj
10-05-2008, 12:59 AM
Depends on the person, what is your judge of character. I have clients in my other business who have been a bit funny. i have been a little patient and they have paid relatively soon. Whats your T&C. But some people are A/H so need some hands on encouragement if you know what i mean? I see it as KAMA. Be firm if you have already called them and back up your threats. If they have underestimated you they will be shocked to find a warning of court proceeding letter in their morning mail and will pay you (hopefully). Good luck :)

theoloyla
18-05-2008, 02:39 PM
Any news? Been paid yet?

barmy
19-05-2008, 09:56 AM
hi, nope no sign of payment.

I am going to compose another letter this evening, and give him 14 days. After that i intend to take action.

its not good for a company with a supposed good reputation!

theoloyla
26-05-2008, 01:27 PM

I am going to compose another letter this evening, and give him 14 days. After that i intend to take action.

Make sure you let us know what happens.

DJMIKEYR
22-10-2008, 02:45 PM
We use Debt Collection Services UK Ltd they are brill for collecting debts owed. Charge £15 +vat for instruction and no collection no fee. If they collect they take 10%

501damian501
24-10-2008, 11:19 PM
thats not the case, where i am, i,ll just take acouple of good friends round their house for a friendly chat.

Sapphire Disco
25-10-2008, 12:21 AM

When you send the letter also send a copy of the court papers already filled out and dated for the day after your ultimatum, so he can be in no doubt you will file those papers should he not pay up in time.
It's always better to avoid court action if you can because there is always the chance you may never get your money, but if you've tried everything you should not let them get away with it.

Solitaire Events Ltd
25-10-2008, 02:27 PM
thats not the case, where i am, i,ll just take acouple of good friends round their house for a friendly chat.

Why would you need a couple of friends with you for a chat?

501damian501
25-10-2008, 02:58 PM
because their big :Censored: , their also registered sia holders, which comes in handy.

Solitaire Events Ltd
25-10-2008, 07:10 PM
because their big :Censored: , their also registered sia holders, which comes in handy.

And what does that to do with collecting money from a client?

Surely you aren't in the business of intimidating people?

I also don't see what having an SIA has to do with anything?

501damian501
25-10-2008, 07:50 PM
because it does darren, its not every week someone dont pay me anyway, has i wont do anything untill i have money either in the bank or in my hand.

Cheesey 1975
25-10-2008, 08:08 PM
And what does that to do with collecting money from a client?

Surely you aren't in the business of intimidating people?

I also don't see what having an SIA has to do with anything?

Darren

Im with you on this one !!!!

I also have a SIA Licence but it doesnt make any difference to collect cash !!!

:bang: :bang:

A1DL
25-10-2008, 09:13 PM
because it does darren, its not every week someone dont pay me anyway, has i wont do anything untill i have money either in the bank or in my hand.

any chance of translating that into English, Damian?

rob1963
26-10-2008, 01:20 AM
Can someone tell me what a SIA licence is please?

:shrug:

501damian501
26-10-2008, 01:23 AM
just a security license, so you can undertake security work and various other roles, handy if you do galas and hold nights at places.

Corabar Steve
26-10-2008, 08:38 AM
& if they get into an altercation whilst with you on one of your "chats", bye bye SIA licence.

You don't half talk a load of donkey at times!

501damian501
26-10-2008, 06:22 PM
am more than aware of how the licensing works, we dont get into any problems.

Penfold42
26-10-2008, 06:27 PM
Can someone tell me what a SIA licence is please?

:shrug:

http://www.the-sia.org.uk/home

Think it's this Rob.....
or this.....
http://www.comedyonline.co.uk/gallery/images/haleandpace1.jpg

Which ever.....it's not good in my books....

A1DL
26-10-2008, 06:57 PM

am more than aware of how the licensing works, we dont get into any problems.

So why does the physical stature of your friends have any bearing on the matter, Damian, if you are not intent on becoming intimidating?

Steve's right, you come out with such complete drivel, Damian.

501damian501
26-10-2008, 07:26 PM
because having acouple of large bearing blokes stood at over 6ft tall at your door, makes you think twice, anyways ive only been ripped off once and thats never happened agian plus it wont ever happen agian.

rob1963
26-10-2008, 10:25 PM

Think it's this Rob.....
or this.....

I reckon it's the first one!

Thanks Tony.

:D

501damian501
26-10-2008, 11:00 PM
i did post a picture but tony removed due to not being family friendly, the bloke himself with the shotgun is one of the gaffers of the security firm, contacts with this guy date back years, when my grandad had a security firm in mine and tones neck of the woods.

theoloyla
27-10-2008, 12:44 PM

Think it's this Rob.....
or this.....

I used to like them. They were really funny. What's happened to them?

And Damien whilst it may be effective taking the heavies round to collect debts it is not legal and you may get into even more trouble than just being owed some dosh.

And we never did hear from Barmy as to whether he got paid.

501damian501
27-10-2008, 11:28 PM
I used to like them. They were really funny. What's happened to them?

And Damien whilst it may be effective taking the heavies round to collect debts it is not legal and you may get into even more trouble than just being owed some dosh.

And we never did hear from Barmy as to whether he got paid.

why isnt it legal ?, their just my friends :confused:

ppentertainments
27-10-2008, 11:39 PM
why isnt it legal ?, their just my friends :confused:

I take it you are on the drink again Damian. You can post some sensible comments and others like this are tripe.

The biggest difficulty we face in this industry IMO is the publics perception of DJ's. Your comments, and potential threat like this, are really going to help - NOT.:(

Corabar Steve
28-10-2008, 07:03 AM
& if they're just friends & not employees, they've no business being there anyway.

Can I request that you don't post after drinking alcohol.

(just a request at the moment, but if you continue posting this sort of utter nonsense it might become an official instruction)

soundtracker
28-10-2008, 08:26 AM
The biggest difficulty we face in this industry IMO is the publics perception of DJ's.(

Along with DJ's perception of themselves