PDA

View Full Version : Refundable deposits.

Penfold42
05-05-2008, 01:35 PM
After a gig a while back....my speaker got a drink thrown at it.:mad:
I did chase the customer for quite a while about coughing up for damages..to no avail.....the said item is now working fine and dandy but - shall we say people's respect for other peoples equipment goes out the window when they have been mixing with there mates.....Mr "Ron Bacardi" and Mr "Johnny Walker"......:D

I am thinking of asking for a 'refundable deposit' to cover any damage cause by some pillock having too many.....

Yes i have this in the T&C's to cover everything but this has proved not to work.....but it easier to enforce if you have a refundable deposit / cheque with bank number on back.......

Part of me likes the idea and part of me cringes....as i find it a little bit cheeky........
The reason i ask is the new rig goes out in a few weeks and would hate for this to get ruined.......

Your thoughts please.

Thanks.
:)

Spirits High
05-05-2008, 01:51 PM
Tone,

As you say it's in your T&C's as it is with most of us but as you've found difficult if not impossible without going solicitors / small claims court and ultimately costing you time and money.

I think to ask for a refundable deposit may seem to the client to be a bit cheeky. You may get them thinking the old "what type of people does he think we are" sketch and going somewhere else as alot of people are on tight budgets.

Yes, I know it's a refundable deposit and you won't actually cash the cheque unless there's any damage, but then again they can always stop the cheque and you'd be back to square one!

Have just done a quick straw poll of potential clients, Emmas got 3 of her mates round and they're all of the same opinon that they would look elsewhere for another dj as it's covered in your T&C's and up to you to enforce these by what ever method you feel appropriate.

So the bottom line, No I don't think it's a good idea :D

CRAZY K
05-05-2008, 01:53 PM
After a gig a while back....my speaker got a drink thrown at it.:mad:
I did chase the customer for quite a while about coughing up for damages..to no avail.....the said item is now working fine and dandy but - shall we say people's respect for other peoples equipment goes out the window when they have been mixing with there mates.....Mr "Ron Bacardi" and Mr "Johnny Walker"......:D

I am thinking of asking for a 'refundable deposit' to cover any damage cause by some pillock having too many.....

Yes i have this in the T&C's to cover everything but this has proved not to work.....but it easier to enforce if you have a refundable deposit / cheque with bank number on back.......

Part of me likes the idea and part of me cringes....as i find it a little bit cheeky........
The reason i ask is the new rig goes out in a few weeks and would hate for this to get ruined.......

Your thoughts please.

Thanks.

I dont get involved directly with Disco only nights so not much of a risk for me--but I think I would deal with it on a case by case basis--

Dodgy Working Mens Club--ask for it
Upmarket Wedding --maybe not
Private House Party--ask for it
Silver Wedding--probably not
21st Birthday--oh yes

I would say if you can contact the people afterwards easily go for a separate
signed form in large letters:D --if your not sure go for a cash /cheque deposit.

If your really not sure about the gig--pass it to Dave!!!!
:D :D :D :D :D :D

CRAZY K

rob1963
05-05-2008, 02:01 PM
I think to ask for a refundable deposit may seem to the client to be a bit cheeky.

I agree that it's a bit cheeky/over the top.

I'm sure we all have something in our terms & conditions along the lines of the client being responsible for any damage to our equipment, whether caused by the client, guests, customers or staff.

I think we should just leave it at that.

Shakermaker Promotions
05-05-2008, 02:05 PM
I get this a lot of the time when I use my full range JBL's. People always put drinks on them especially when I do my regular Indie / Alternative nights. It really annoys me as it's a lack of respect but on the other hand I don't actually think that they realise what they are doing. It doesn't bother me that much as I have 3 sets of them but the other night I have to admit that I lost my temper with a guy who was drunk and fell into one of them. There were about 4 half full pints on top of it at the time and they went everywhere. I won't say what happened after that but I lost my rag with him.

I'd say that you have to weigh up the function when you get the enquiry to be honest. Suss out what it is, where it is etc and pick and choose whether you ask for one or not.

Penfold42
05-05-2008, 02:05 PM
Yes, I know it's a refundable deposit and you won't actually cash the cheque unless there's any damage, but then again they can always stop the cheque and you'd be back to square one!
Is it?.....I thought if you had a bank number on the back...your stuck and tied in......could be wrong...:)

Have just done a quick straw poll of potential clients, Emmas got 3 of her mates round and they're all of the same opinon that they would look elsewhere for another dj as it's covered in your T&C's and up to you to enforce these by what ever method you feel appropriate.

So the bottom line, No I don't think it's a good idea :D
You lucky git.....:D
That's the bit that sticks for me.......if i was asked i to would probably look elsewhere....:(

Dodgy Working Mens Club--ask for it
:agree:

Upmarket Wedding --maybe not
I've had one......:eek: ....NYE?

Private House Party--ask for it
Your right

Silver Wedding--probably not
21st Birthday--oh yes

I would say if you can contact the people afterwards easily go for a separate
signed form in large letters:D --if your not sure go for a cash /cheque deposit.
I like the separate form idea........thanks. :)

If your really not sure about the gig--pass it to Dave!!!!
:D :D :D :D :D :D

CRAZY K
LMAO....and the dodgy mans club....:D :D :D

DazzyD
05-05-2008, 02:34 PM
I've actually done this, Tony, for an 18th birthday party. I'd heard some horror stories about riots at these parties so I made up some :Censored: about it costing an extra £100 for a special insurance policy to cover an 18th birthday in case anything got damaged. It was a young lass and I said if there was no damage caused then the insurance company wouldn't charge me and she'd get her money back. She took it all in and paid up (along with my fee - in cash) on the day of the party. Needless to say, everyone was on their best behaviour and she got her money back at the end of the night.

Mind you, I did the feel the night was a bit subdued - as if people were too scared to move (if you saw the size of her mother then you'd see this was understandable!). Not that they didn't dance but I think people were a bit cautious about coming up to requests songs.

Nowadays, I still do 18th/21st birthdays but I always insist on getting a parent/older family member to make the booking and point out that they will be responsible for the conduct of the guests. Some people argue at first and say they'll just get someone else but, when they find out it's difficult to get a disco for these types of parties, they often come back with their tails between their legs. If they've been particularly annoying the first time round then I'll tell them where to go, tho!

Ain't a sense of power a wonderful thing?!? ;D (Once I've conquered discos I'll be set to take over the rest of the world!!! :devil:)

Shaun
05-05-2008, 02:54 PM
Nowadays, I still do 18th/21st birthdays but I always insist on getting a parent/older family member to make the booking and point out that they will be responsible for the conduct of the guests.

For 18th birthday parties the parents nearly always need to be the 'signee' anyway, as the hiring client must be over 18 to enter into the agreement. I always state that I will only accept the booking if there will be older adult supervision there for the duration of the party. I also make it clear if all the older (supervision) guests leave before the scheduled finish time, then the party will be deemed to be over. I've had bad experiences of 18th's that I don't ever want to repeat. So far nobodies ever questioned these stipulations.

Back to the original question. Tony, I fear asking for a refundable deposit may deter some people. It seems a sensible idea though, I'd be interested to hear how it pans out for you if you decide to try it. :)

theoloyla
05-05-2008, 03:03 PM
I have never heard of a disco doing this but... Personally I would feel uncomfortable doing so.

Penfold42
05-05-2008, 03:23 PM
I'd say that you have to weigh up the function when you get the enquiry to be honest. Suss out what it is, where it is etc and pick and choose whether you ask for one or not.
I do this when speaking and visiting customers to suss them out, every customer i visit....but have been proved wrong.

The customer that I had the speaker soaked, has a big company...i've checked him out and looked him up. The damage cost about £30 to put right.....he was told on the night, exchanged phone numbers, e-mails....he even gave me a bussiness card......would he get back to me to disscuss the matter.....no!

Back to the original question. Tony, I fear asking for a refundable deposit may deter some people. It seems a sensible idea though, I'd be interested to hear how it pans out for you if you decide to try it. :)

I have never heard of a disco doing this but... Personally I would feel uncomfortable doing so.
I'm still thinking about it....and your both right.....uncomfortable / look elsewhere......

I might try it out on the next customer to see what they say...i'll let you know.

Thanks for the replies so far.....

rob1963
05-05-2008, 03:26 PM
Tony,

I really think that the money you save by any deposits you get will be massively outweighed by the money you lose through all the clients who go elsewhere to book.

Penfold42
05-05-2008, 03:35 PM
Tony,

I really think that the money you save by any deposits you get will be massively outweighed by the money you lose through all the clients who go elsewhere to book.

Yes i can see your point Rob.......but think of the less agro i'm going to be getting.......:)

CRAZY K
05-05-2008, 05:06 PM
I do this when speaking and visiting customers to suss them out, every customer i visit....but have been proved wrong.

The customer that I had the speaker soaked, has a big company...i've checked him out and looked him up. The damage cost about £30 to put right.....he was told on the night, exchanged phone numbers, e-mails....he even gave me a bussiness card......would he get back to me to disscuss the matter.....no!

I'm still thinking about it....and your both right.....uncomfortable / look elsewhere......

I might try it out on the next customer to see what they say...i'll let you know.

Thanks for the replies so far.....

Dont you just invoice this blokes Company for £30.

Sue him if he doesnt pay.

I WOULD ON PRINCIPLE--HES TAKING THE ......

CRAZY K

Vectis
05-05-2008, 06:43 PM
Do you have a witness?

If so, send an invoice with payment terms clearly stated and if they don't cough try www.moneyclaim.gov.uk

Shaun
05-05-2008, 07:57 PM
Sue him if he doesnt pay.

I WOULD ON PRINCIPLE

I would too. Business is business, if money is owed (for whatever reason) chase it up.

rob1963
05-05-2008, 10:58 PM
Yes i can see your point Rob.......but think of the less agro i'm going to be getting.......:)

Less agro at the gigs maybe, but more agro on the phone when you're trying to get the bookings!

Dragonfly
06-05-2008, 07:15 AM
I can see both sides to this and remember the discussion at Lincoln PLASA :D :D :D :D catering was awsome !!

yes it would cover you more for the increaseing number of fraggle related muppetheaded numpties at gigs and give you less hassle in the aftermath .... but .... I think Ron , Rob , Roy raises a good point ..... is it not difficult enough to educate a prospective client on why their provider should have things like PAT and PLI, things that directly relate to their safety and well being and that of their guests , imagine then on the phone trying to tell them that parting with say £200 refundable deposit would be a good idea too??

plus ...

the view of the industry is fairly pants as a whole by jo public imo. and imagine billy the kid discos down the road starting with the idea of taking a cheque and saying ....... i wont cash it unless there is damage .....

he and his family would be gigging in antigua by the end of the week.

Tone it's a good idea mate as i discussed with you ..... on the assumption that you will be working with proper decent educated understanding people who realise the importance of your gear to your way of life..

this my friend is a truly MASSIVE assumption sadly.

rob1963
06-05-2008, 09:58 AM
the view of the industry is fairly pants as a whole by jo public

I'd say it's complete :Rob James:

JAMdisco
06-05-2008, 12:59 PM
I must admit, this has crossed my mind a few times but I don't think I'll ever go through with it as (has already been said) I would feel a little cheeky asking for it.

As far as damage costs go, a new speaker cone is relatively cheap compared to a playout system. When I've had the *expletive removed* (http://www.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=12128) drunk that asks for a request I don't have, I'm looking at the beer in his hand and dreading what would happen if he threw it at me (more so thinking about my £1000 worth of laptop)

rob1963
09-05-2008, 09:32 AM
Tony,

Have you tried taking a deposit yet?

If so, what was the reaction?

Lets have an update!

Penfold42
09-05-2008, 09:44 AM
Tony,

Have you tried taking a deposit yet?

If so, what was the reaction?

Lets have an update!

I've had no-one yet.....i've had two enquires and was going to mentioned it after price.
These customers fell after mentioning the price mark with a sharp intake of breath.....so i've not had chance to mention the refundable bit yet.......

When i do i'll let you know.....:)

rob1963
09-05-2008, 09:46 AM
I've had no-one yet.....i've had two enquires and was going to mentioned it after price.
These customers fell after mentioning the price mark with a sharp intake of breath.....so i've not had chance to mention the refundable bit yet.......

When i do i'll let you know.....:)

Thanks for the update!

It will be interesting to hear how it goes.

theoloyla
13-05-2008, 03:33 PM
I must admit, this has crossed my mind a few times but I don't think I'll ever go through with it as (has already been said) I would feel a little cheeky asking for it.

As far as damage costs go, a new speaker cone is relatively cheap compared to a playout system. When I've had the *expletive removed* (http://www.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=12128) drunk that asks for a request I don't have, I'm looking at the beer in his hand and dreading what would happen if he threw it at me (more so thinking about my £1000 worth of laptop)
If your gear is insured then just pass the details on to the insurance company. They will pay your claim and they sure as hell will sue the culprit.