PDA

View Full Version : Noisy Laptop !

Netrix
10-05-2008, 12:43 PM
Hi all - I'm stumped on this one but I'm sure I'm overlooking something rather simple !!

I have my "comeback" gig next Saturday (17th May) and I have just finished tweaking/upgrading my set up. I used to use a desktop PC but have switched to a laptop. I now have the dreaded hum, squeak and pops when the laptop is running on mains power.

Equipment:
Dell Inspiron Laptop running Windows XP SP2 and PCDJ Red 5.2
Gigabit USB Soundcard
Numark CM200 mixer
Mackie SRM 450s

I purchased two ground loop isolaters from Maplins (the ones that are a tenner each) and have installed them on the outputs of the Gigabit soundcard. But it makes absolutely no difference sad.gif

Do I need an adapter of some sort to place the ground loop isolators between the mixer and the speakers ?

I've just bought a Micro Max stand, it would be rendered useless if I have to switch back to the desk top !

Any ideas ?

Regards

Netrix

discomobiledj
10-05-2008, 01:20 PM
Does the fan need cleaning out? This is what happened with mine. Nice big lump of dust.

Netrix
10-05-2008, 01:25 PM
Does the fan need cleaning out? This is what happened with mine. Nice big lump of dust.

The fan seems ok - I get a whine when I insert or remove the mains lead. When the laptop is running on the battery it's fine.

Also, whilst running on mains, all hooked up with no music playing I get noises when I open and close new windows on the laptop (noises as in small whines etc)

Regards

Netrix

Dragonfly
10-05-2008, 01:28 PM
have you got a spare power pack for it? or you could try and get a generic one from maplins or the like as that maybe the issue otherwise i would suggest the problem may well be with the socket that the mains lead pligs into??? at which point its probably a trip to pc world?

Vectis
10-05-2008, 01:39 PM
Change the PSU. I had exactly the same with my Latitudes, new PSU - sorted.

Luckily I have plenty of Dell kit lying around from my "other" job so no expense incurred. I find the 65W adaptors less susceptible than the 90W ones (if your model will work with 65W of course).

Netrix
10-05-2008, 02:43 PM
Just been doing a bit of diagnostic work - it's the DMC-1 that's inducing the whine - I have a serial to usb converter lead on the DMC-1 - when I remove the usb lead the whine stops. I've tried using a seperate ring main for the DMC-1 but still the same.

Question is, is it the power cube or the DMC-1 itself ?

Might be time to upgrade to a DAC 2 :)

I think I'll try and source a new generic power cube, probably the cheapest way forward to start with.

Need to sort it by Saturday though :-(

Thanks for all your suggestions/help

Regards

Netrix

DazzyD
10-05-2008, 04:35 PM
This definately sounds like a power supply problem. If it is the socket, then it's an expensive repair.

On my old Inspiron, the socket came slack off the motherboard - Dell Support were useless (kept getting bounced around from one person to another - all Indians - was asked 7 times in the same call if I was "calling from the UK"?). Got fed up, hung up and phoned PC World. Told me it would be expensive - needed to take it to local store - they'd send it off for repair - could cost around £200. Needless to say, I took out the memory, hard-drive and other re-usable components, scrapped it and bought a Toshiba. I love Dell hardware - it's (usually) very reliable. However, I felt let down by a really poor support service and, now, wouldn't touch them with a bargepole.