PDA

View Full Version : Extra hours

Spirits High
14-05-2008, 07:57 AM
Hi guys,

Was thinking about this last night so am going to put it to the masses.

The majority of weddings i've done this year have run pretty much on time.

However on friday, I arrived at 730pm for an 8pm start (already set up earlier in the day ;) ). They were only on the Father of the brides speech so there was still a couple of speeches, desert and coffee to go before the room could be changed round and disco start.

Eventually started at about 915pm, so technically I would be playing 1hr 15 less. Finish time was Midnight, now this didn't happen but what would you have done if they said (obviously with the venues agreement) play for the 1hr 15 you missed out on?

The questions are:

1. Would you do it as you were only contracted till midnight?

2. Would you charge them for the "extra" time?

like I said this is only a "what if " :D

Dragonfly
14-05-2008, 08:02 AM
Paul to be honest i wouldn't do the extra 1 hr 15 mins free as im assuming you were on site ready to go when you initially agreed and the fact that things over ran is not your fault at all.

in some peoples cases they would have roadies to pay extra as well etc. you should be paid for your time mate in my mind the fact that you were twiddling your thumbs for some of it was not your fault.

i might offer to do 20 mins or something if the venue agreed but an hour and a quarter .... no way.

Boogie Boy
14-05-2008, 08:13 AM
I'd maybe do an extra 15 minutes or so.

Why we're on the subject....how come most DJs charge a paltry £40.00 per hour or thereabouts, for extra time, when they may be doing a wedding for £350.00 (4-5 hours standard playing time)? It doesn't make sense, does it?

JAMdisco
14-05-2008, 08:19 AM
I generally wouldn't play extra although may run over by 10-15 mins as a gesture of goodwill. My T&C's do cover this though:-

5) We will require suitable time to install our equipment (usually 1 hour) before the start time. If there are access problems, which were not previously advised to us, we may apply a surcharge up to £25, to be paid up-front, in cash.

6) If the performance is delayed due to accessibility problems, or any other delay beyond our control, we will not be held liable for any refund.

I suggest you put something along these lines in your contract/T&C's

UltraBeat Entertainment
14-05-2008, 08:20 AM
I think i would do 30min extra for free but anything extra would have to be worked out and charged for but it depends on the circumstances really.

Why we're on the subject....how come most DJs charge a paltry £40.00 per hour or thereabouts, for extra time, when they may be doing a wedding for £350.00 (4-5 hours standard playing time)? It doesn't make sense, does it?

It's inconvenience for the DJ but as everything there setup and tested and working there's not that much extra work for the DJ.

rob1963
14-05-2008, 08:28 AM
The majority of weddings i've done this year have run pretty much on time.

:jawdrop:

However on friday, I arrived at 730pm for an 8pm start (already set up earlier in the day ;) ). They were only on the Father of the brides speech so there was still a couple of speeches, desert and coffee to go before the room could be changed round and disco start.

Eventually started at about 915pm, so technically I would be playing 1hr 15 less. Finish time was Midnight, now this didn't happen but what would you have done if they said (obviously with the venues agreement) play for the 1hr 15 you missed out on?

The questions are:

like I said this is only a "what if " :D

Hi Spirits High,

1. Yes, I would do it if asked, although the chances of this happening are virtually nil, as venues have licences until certain times, and I'm also not sure how happy the officials would be about having to be there for an extra hour and a quarter.

2. Yes, I would charge them for the extra time. If I'd been back for the agreed starting time, it wouldn't be my fault if things were over-running, and by going on later I'd be adding an hour and fifteen minutes to my working night, so I see no reason not to charge for this. Also, after midnight people usually charge more anyway, as it's unsociable hours.

The reality is that functions frequently don't run on time, and you often start late, and then play background music for a while, so I would say that if you're booked for 4 hours, the main part of the disco will only be around 2 hours and 45 minutes to 3 hours anyway.

I can also think of plenty of weddings where I've played for less than 3 hours, some where I've played for less than 2 hours, and one which was running so late that I ended up doing 45 minutes!

In summary, if I'm asked to go on after the finish time on the booking form, if the venue officials give me the green light I'll do it, but it will cost them the equivilent of £1 a minute.

Penfold42
14-05-2008, 08:31 AM
Charge them......

Not my fault.....:)

soundtracker
14-05-2008, 08:34 AM
Time stood around waiting to gain access- not my problem, extra time = more bunce!

rob1963
14-05-2008, 08:42 AM
how come most DJs charge a paltry £40.00 per hour or thereabouts, for extra time, when they may be doing a wedding for £350.00 (4-5 hours standard playing time)? It doesn't make sense, does it?

I must admit I think £40 is a bit low, but it's all about charging what you think is reasonable & what you are happy with.

Doing extra time doesn't add to your actual expenses, it just makes for a longer night. My own overtime rate is £60 an hour, is charged by the minute and must be paid in advance.

There have been a fair few times when I've done a party in a marquee, played an extra couple of hours, and have been quite happy with the extra £120 earned.

Spirits High
14-05-2008, 08:44 AM
Paul to be honest i wouldn't do the extra 1 hr 15 mins free as im assuming you were on site ready to go when you initially agreed and the fact that things over ran is not your fault at all.

in some peoples cases they would have roadies to pay extra as well etc. you should be paid for your time mate in my mind the fact that you were twiddling your thumbs for some of it was not your fault.

i might offer to do 20 mins or something if the venue agreed but an hour and a quarter .... no way.

Agree Dave, I was indeed there on time twiddling my thumbs and didn't play on. Couldn't anyway as music had to be off at midnight due to the other hotel residents.

I'd maybe do an extra 15 minutes or so.

I Don't ;) if you want more you can pay the going rate, not £40 :D

Vectis
14-05-2008, 08:44 AM

Because our overall charge is made up of several elements - equipment hire (to include contribution towards depreciation), direct expenses (revenue items), transportation, setup, teardown and labour during the event itself, we only charge for the extra labour involved in being onsite longer plus a tiny, tiny amount of additional depreciation/direct expenses I guess as the gear is being worked a little bit longer.

Our hourly rate for extra time is £25 per HALF hour before 1am, £35 after.

As with other comments, if a gig starts REALLY late I might throw in an extra 3 or 4 songs gratis with management's permission but after that it's £££.

Had a 30th birthday recently where although the invites were 7:30 for 8:00 most folks didn't arrive until 8:30-8:45. The buffet was served at 9, so was told to keep playing background. At 9:30 we started the disco whilst folks were still on their puds because the licence was only 11:00 - what an easy night that was :beer1:

soundtracker
14-05-2008, 08:46 AM
I fail to understand why people charge less per hour for time after midnight than they do before - everyone else in the world charges extra!!(don't bother telling me about some obscure trade in Peru that don't)

rob1963
14-05-2008, 08:50 AM
I fail to understand why people charge less per hour for time after midnight than they do before - everyone else in the world charges extra!!(don't bother telling me about some obscure trade in Peru that don't)

I've just worked it out, and my overtime rate is about the same as my normal rate.

My average charge is just over £300 for up to five hours - which is £60 an hour, and my overtime rate is also £60 an hour.

:)

Steve the DJ
14-05-2008, 08:53 AM

No.

Yes.

This eventuality is covered in my T & C's.

Ace DJ
14-05-2008, 08:55 AM
It amazes me why DJ's often go over the finish time.
Because of prior proceedings over running that is not down to you. Likewise the finishing time is not down to you. At the directed finish time you stop.

You may absolutely love playing music but the venue management don't.

Most venues require you to finish at a required time as they have to get the room ready for the next day. If you go over it increases the venues wage bill for their staff. Some venues even black list you for that.

Not only that if it is in a hotel they have to worry about the other guests who are not associated with the function.
It is all about a professional attitude
Ace

Vectis
14-05-2008, 08:57 AM
... It is all about a professional attitude

As with other comments, if a gig starts REALLY late I might throw in an extra 3 or 4 songs gratis with management's permission

:cool:

Corabar Steve
14-05-2008, 09:03 AM
Time on site is time on site. You're booked from X to Y, then play to Y.

If they want more they pay for more. It's not as if you can be somewhere else earning while you're waiting to start.

rob1963
14-05-2008, 09:08 AM
Because of prior proceedings over running that is not down to you. Likewise the finishing time is not down to you. At the directed finish time you stop.

Most venues require you to finish at a required time as they have to get the room ready for the next day. If you go over it increases the venues wage bill for their staff. Some venues even black list you for that.

Not only that if it is in a hotel they have to worry about the other guests who are not associated with the function.
Ace

:agree:

I ALWAYS run over the finish time........

.....by anywhere from 20-30 seconds.

Solitaire Events Ltd
14-05-2008, 10:10 AM

Ace

I totally agree.

Shaun
14-05-2008, 10:11 AM
Time on site is time on site. You're booked from X to Y, then play to Y.

If they want more they pay for more. It's not as if you can be somewhere else earning while you're waiting to start.

Completely agree. I only play longer if they pay for longer. Business is business.

Vectis
14-05-2008, 10:59 AM
I agree business is business but I stand by my earlier statement re: running over slightly with permission. In my experience this usually results in a tip especially if organised AFTER the host is inebriated!

15 minutes is my rule. Any more and it's payment up front.

CRAZY K
14-05-2008, 01:19 PM
Hi Paul, as others say not your fault--you were ready to start on time--its
THEIR FAULT.

Charge extra if it goes any later.

Lets face it--what would you charge for a Wedding that was 2 hours longer than normal--same situation--you would quote extra. No difference.

In my experience its like Rob says--theres usually a cut off time of 12 or 1 so that sorts itself out.

My worst nightmare :eek: 8 to 11pm booking

Marquee-gypsy type with a Rodeo Bull fuses everything at 10 oclock:eek:

One hour later 11pm we get power back--only because I had to go and get another cable to replace the one they had burnt out.

Then the customers brother says --weve only had 2 hours--we need another hour--I compromised by playing for 30 minutes without charging--never again

Nightmare people-cheapskated on the Rodeo Bull and then expected me to play extra hour for nothing--dont go there.

CRAZY K

rob1963
14-05-2008, 01:28 PM
how come most DJs charge a paltry £40.00 per hour or thereabouts, for extra time, when they may be doing a wedding for £350.00 (4-5 hours standard playing time)? It doesn't make sense, does it?

Because our overall charge is made up of several elements - equipment hire (to include contribution towards depreciation), direct expenses (revenue items), transportation, setup, teardown and labour during the event itself

Very good points, Vectis.

Whether you do 8pm until midnight or 8pm until 2am, you actual expenses are no different, and the amount of work involved isn't THAT different either.

You still have to load up the van, drive to the venue, carry in the gear, set up the gear, then pack it down & carry it out at the end of the night.

The only difference is an extra 2 hours of your time.

Vectis
14-05-2008, 02:10 PM

I already had this answer lined up as I have a regular corporate customer who hires me by the half-hour, anything from 2 hours to 6 depending on how many kids parties he can sell in an evening and how many overlap depending on maximum capacity and the mix of party types & lengths. Often I don't find out how long I'll be playing for 'til I get there (the start time is always the same). Occasionally I'll check in advance if I have a follow-on gig elsewhere later but 9 times out of 10 I book the whole night out and take my chances.

Therefore his invoices are made up of "Attendance & Equipment Hire Fee" plus a number of "Half-hour segments".

Spirits High
14-05-2008, 02:19 PM
Hi Paul, as others say not your fault--you were ready to start on time--its
THEIR FAULT.

Charge extra if it goes any later.

Lets face it--what would you charge for a Wedding that was 2 hours longer than normal--same situation--you would quote extra. No difference.

In my experience its like Rob says--theres usually a cut off time of 12 or 1 so that sorts itself out.

CRAZY K

Alan,

I thought this may be a good thread to start ;)

As I said early on this didn't actually happen this was purely a "what if " scenario

I'm fully in agreement with the majority of posts.

You want more, you pay more, not my fault you ran late, simple :D

robbiedj
14-05-2008, 06:26 PM
:agree:

I ALWAYS run over the finish time........

.....by anywhere from 20-30 seconds.
Oh, you meanie.

I often run over by a whole 2mins! :D

Any more, contract states Extra time, extra money, in advance. 'Nuff said.

A1DL
14-05-2008, 06:36 PM
If the party is still in full swing and it's been a great crowd, our DJs will often throw in a couple of extra "last tunes" which may go 5 or 10 minutes over time (venue licence permitting). Anything over this, they will phone in for an over-run.

DazzyD
14-05-2008, 07:16 PM
I get asked to play over quite often. But I'm very very reluctant to agree (cos I've got a missus back home who likes her goodnight kiss and if she doesn't get it she can go in the huff for days!).

The only time I'll agree is if the client gets the venue manager to come over and ask and then the client pays me the extra charge (£40 per hour/part hour before 12, £60 after). But I'd prefer not to.

And some people take the biscuit. I did a karaoke party in this guy's back garden last year booked to finish at 11pm. He wanted me to go til 3am and even offered me a fairly large sum of money to do so. As his house was at the head of a cul-de-sac on a rather well-off estate, I declined cos I didn't want to upset the neighbours because another garden karaoke party I did was cut short when the cops turned up at 9.30pm and told me to turn it off!

Anyway, I'm getting the opposite recently. Several times I've been booked to 11.30pm or 12 and I've been told by the various venue management the music had to be off between 11-11.15pm. Anyone else had this happening?

ppentertainments
14-05-2008, 07:28 PM
Anyway, I'm getting the opposite recently. Several times I've been booked to 11.30pm or 12 and I've been told by the various venue management the music had to be off between 11-11.15pm. Anyone else had this happening?

Yes more and more. I think there are a lot of people who do not like music after 11. Worked in one venue where I had to be packed up and out by 11 even though the booking was from 7 - 11 and it was the venue who booked me.

DazzyD
14-05-2008, 07:45 PM
I just think that clients aren't checking with the venue properly to see what time the music can go on til. I usually contact the venue to check the booking details (confirming there really is a function on there, if there's any stairs, do they allow smoke, etc) so I think I'll also have to start confirming the finish time. That way, if it contradicts the booking I can let the client know and it's up to them to sort out.

CRAZY K
14-05-2008, 07:47 PM

Whether you do 8pm until midnight or 8pm until 2am, you actual expenses are no different, and the amount of work involved isn't THAT different either.

You still have to load up the van, drive to the venue, carry in the gear, set up the gear, then pack it down & carry it out at the end of the night.

Rob you have NO concept of UNSOCIABLE HOURS.

Ask yourself---

Why do Plumbers NOT charge normal call out rates at midnight?

Why do taxis charge extra after Midnight.

Why does everybody do this in all walks of business life?

Because were all tired thats why--we get home at some unearthly hour and wake up with a headache in the morning.:eek: :eek: :eek:

You seriously undervalue yourself--has Daz got going on this one yet--its his pet hate:D :D :D

CRAZY K

rob1963
14-05-2008, 10:55 PM
Rob you have NO concept of UNSOCIABLE HOURS.

Ask yourself---

Why do Plumbers NOT charge normal call out rates at midnight?

Why do taxis charge extra after Midnight.

Why does everybody do this in all walks of business life?

Because were all tired thats why--we get home at some unearthly hour and wake up with a headache in the morning.:eek: :eek: :eek:

You seriously undervalue yourself--has Daz got going on this one yet--its his pet hate:D :D :D

CRAZY K

On the contrary, Crazy, I don't think I undervalue myself at all, and I know all about unsociable hours & charging more for them.

That's why I always finish within 30 seconds of the end time (unlike most people who have posted here), and I won't even play one more song unless I'm paid for it in advance (again unlike most people here).

Also, my overtime rate is £60 per hour and is payable by the minute in advance & in cash. This rate relates to ANY extra playing time after the finishing time on the booking form...whether it's after midnight or not.

I haven't yet seen any posts from people who say they charge more than £60 per hour as their overtime rate, so I'd say know all about unsociable hours & charging appropriately for them more than most people of this forum.

I also stick to these rules very strictly. I remember a couple of years ago I was booked for a 40th birthday. The gig went well, and at the end of the night the birthday guy asked if I could do an extra 30 minutes. I told him it was not a problem, but I would need the £30 in cash first. He told me that was fine & he would get the money for me.

He was a bit Brahms, and 5 minutes later he had still not come back with the money, so I just stood there waiting. After another 5 minutes, he eventually came up and gave me the extra cash, whereupon I immediately re-started the music, although due to the 10 minute delay, many people had left by the time I re-started again.

soundtracker
15-05-2008, 07:18 AM
I haven't yet seen any posts from people who say they charge more than £60 per hour as their overtime rate, so I'd say know all about unsociable hours & charging appropriately for them more than most people of this forum.

£100 per hour after midnight (now you have Rob:D )

Vectis
15-05-2008, 07:33 AM
due to the 10 minute delay, many people had left by the time I re-started again.

Errr... more like they'd heard you were about to start up again :p :D ;) :D ;)

Ooh... just noticed :rolleyes: 's back !!!

rob1963
15-05-2008, 09:29 AM
£100 per hour after midnight (now you have Rob:D )

I have indeed, Soundtracker...although the other people who have said what their overtime rate is have either given the same figure as myself or a lower one. I wasn't suggesting that nobody charged more than that, merely than many don't.

The point I was making was that I don't undervalue myself and I always charge for what I do when it comes to overtime.

How many other people on here have said that they ALWAYS end within 30 seconds of the finishing time and won't even play ONE more song unless it's paid for in advance?

I rest my case!

:D :D :D :D :D

Corabar Steve
15-05-2008, 09:32 AM
Just to throw some petrol on the fire, aren't all the hours we do at an evening function unsocial? Why charge more after a certain time?

gaza
15-05-2008, 09:39 AM
Anyway, I'm getting the opposite recently. Several times I've been booked to 11.30pm or 12 and I've been told by the various venue management the music had to be off between 11-11.15pm. Anyone else had this happening?[/QUOTE]

Yes i had this at a joint 18th party i did.
I was booked till 12, but was told by the venue manager that we had to finish at 1130, because the bouncers / door staff wanted to make sure that everyone was out and on there way, and not hanging about outside, before the doorstaff left. there was no trouble, because the guests were a lovely bunch of kids ( opps sorry, young adults ).:)

rob1963
15-05-2008, 10:14 AM
Errr... more like they'd heard you were about to start up again :p :D ;) :D ;)

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Ooh... just noticed :rolleyes: 's back !!!

Yes. He was on a surfing holiday, and looking to take early retirement from the smiley family on his return, but I had a word with Shaun who offered him more money to stay on a little longer.

:D :D :D

aren't all the hours we do at an evening function unsocial?

Not in my opinion. I think that people who have to get up early to work from 9 to 5 are the ones who work unsociable hours...especially as I only "work" for a couple of hours in the evening most of the time. This involves me being in a local pub wandering around & chatting to people I know...which is hardly unsociable!

After all, I can get up when I like, which is usually around 10am. I can also do what I like all day. This sometimes involves meeting friends in the pub for lunch, or if the weather is nice I might go down to the coast for the day.

Why charge more after a certain time?

I don't!

My overtime rate relates to extra playing time after the finish time written on the booking form by the client.

This is usually 12.00am, 12.30am or 1.00am...but could also be 11.30pm, 11.00pm or sometimes even 10.30pm or 10.00pm.

theoloyla
15-05-2008, 11:28 AM
Most venues I work at have a strict curfew but if the crowd have been good and I am enjoying myself I might with the venue's permission do a short encore but anything more is as said in my contract subject to an extra charge. If they run late thats their fault not mine. In the SEDA contract which I use it says that if I am late then I have to give them a reduction!

CRAZY K
15-05-2008, 11:40 AM
On the contrary, Crazy, I don't think I undervalue myself at all, and I know all about unsociable hours & charging more for them.

That's why I always finish within 30 seconds of the end time (unlike most people who have posted here), and I won't even play one more song unless I'm paid for it in advance (again unlike most people here).

Also, my overtime rate is £60 per hour and is payable by the minute in advance & in cash. This rate relates to ANY extra playing time after the finishing time on the booking form...whether it's after midnight or not.

I also stick to these rules very strictly. I remember a couple of years ago I was booked for a 40th birthday. The gig went well, and at the end of the night the birthday guy asked if I could do an extra 30 minutes. I told him it was not a problem, but I would need the £30 in cash first. He told me that was fine & he would get the money for me.

He was a bit Brahms, and 5 minutes later he had still not come back with the money, so I just stood there waiting. After another 5 minutes, he eventually came up and gave me the extra cash, whereupon I immediately re-started the music, although due to the 10 minute delay, many people had left by the time I re-started again.

Glad to hear this BUT you said ---

ITS WHICH 2 HOURS THAT COUNTS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Im sure we are agreed:D :D :D

CRAZY K

CRAZY K
15-05-2008, 11:53 AM
Just to throw some petrol on the fire, aren't all the hours we do at an evening function unsocial? Why charge more after a certain time?

After Midnight wrongly or maybe rightly seems to be the watershed Steve.

Services extending after midnight and into the early hours like Taxis for example charge on that basis--if we ALWAYS worked unsociable hours we should be charging a lot more ???

The problem is we SOMETIMES DO AND SOMETIMES DONT--unlike Services that continually work unsociable hours --night workers--emergency plumbers-

They get paid more than day shift.( Unless they are stupid)

So I charge daytime shift until Midnight---night shift rates after midnight,

CRAZY K

rob1963
15-05-2008, 12:06 PM
Glad to hear this BUT you said ---

ITS WHICH 2 HOURS THAT COUNTS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Im sure we are agreed:D :D :D

CRAZY K

We are indeed agreed, Crazy.

The point I was trying to make was that if we do an extra couple of hours, this makes no difference to the hardest physical part of the night, ie lugging in all the gear & spending about an hour sweating while you set it up...which is exactly the same whether we play for four hours or six.

Corabar Steve
15-05-2008, 12:15 PM
Not in my opinion. I think that people who have to get up early to work from 9 to 5 are the ones who work unsociable hours...especially as I only "work" for a couple of hours in the evening most of the time. This involves me being in a local pub wandering around & chatting to people I know...which is hardly unsociable!

Maybe in Rob World, which seems increasingly like Badger World.

The bulk of the country works in shops, offices, factories etc working in the main 8 - 4, 9 - 5, 10 - 6. Leaving the time they have available to socialise as the times that we (as providers of entertainment for their social lives) work, making our hours unsocial.

When I worked (in various capacities) for London Transport, unsocial hours were paid for early mornings, evenings & nights. Any work undertaken during the hours that you consider unsocial, was most definitely not, & was paid at your flat (hourly) rate.

CRAZY K
15-05-2008, 12:22 PM
We are indeed agreed, Crazy.

The point I was trying to make was that if we do an extra couple of hours, this makes no difference to the hardest physical part of the night, ie lugging in all the gear & spending about an hour sweating while you set it up...which is exactly the same whether we play for four hours or six.

I find the hardest part is afterwards lugging it all back to the vehicle when your tired--the later the more tired you will be.

Disco Equipment weights twice as much after Midnight--well seems like it:D

Also if its late you are more tired so bigger risk of falling asleep at the wheel --although you probably dont have far to drive :cool:

CRAZY K

Corabar Steve
15-05-2008, 12:24 PM

What utter rot!

Sure the set up & pack down time & work remains the same, but it's still your time in between that the punter really pays for. Or do your rates go £X for the disco £X to set it up & £X to take it down again after?

If your rate is set in stone, then, if you play over your finish time, you charge for it. It doesn't matter what you've been doing for the previous 4 -5 hours, regardless of if it was doing the disco or sitting in your van waiting for FOTB to shut up. It's still time on site, your time that you can't be doing anything else with because you are at the function concerned.

sleah
15-05-2008, 12:24 PM

That's because the client books you up to the time everyone has to be out of the venue, they seem to think you can exit as quick as they can.....:bang:

There's been plenty of mention of being paid for extra time on here:rolleyes:
However, something I'm wondering, that's barely been touched upon, is actually getting paid for that extra time.

A couple have said they ask for cash up front. So I guess that means the stop at the agreed time unless they have the extra cash in their pocket to continue? Even if it means 'dead air' whilst a deed is done?
What if the client agrees but says I'll pay you at the end, or at a later date 'cause they don't have the cash?

Fortunatley, I've never been in that position, but hate the idea of having a stand-off with a client who is quite happy to pay, but not right there and then.

What do you all do???

Corabar Steve
15-05-2008, 12:31 PM
I find the hardest part is afterwards lugging it all back to the vehicle when your tired--the later the more tired you will be.

Disco Equipment weights twice as much after Midnight--well seems like it:D

Also if its late you are more tired so bigger risk of falling asleep at the wheel --although you probably dont have far to drive :cool:

CRAZY K

That's just because of all the jumping around you do Alan.

There's been plenty of mention of being paid for extra time on here:rolleyes:
However, something I'm wondering, that's barely been touched upon, is actually getting paid for that extra time.

A couple have said they ask for cash up front. So I guess that means the stop at the agreed time unless they have the extra cash in their pocket to continue? Even if it means 'dead air' whilst a deed is done?
What if the client agrees but says I'll pay you at the end, or at a later date 'cause they don't have the cash?

Fortunatley, I've never been in that position, but hate the idea of having a stand-off with a client who is quite happy to pay, but not right there and then.

What do you all do???

Why should extra time be any different to the rest of the gig?

All of our gigs are paid for in advance, it's only logical the extra time is also (this is clearly stated in our T&Cs)

sleah
15-05-2008, 12:32 PM
Why should extra time be any different to the rest of the gig?

All of our gigs are paid for in advance, it's only logical the extra time is also (this is clearly stated in our T&Cs)

So are you saying if they ask for extra time during the gig, you simply refuse??????

Corabar Steve
15-05-2008, 12:37 PM
No, I tell them the rate & that if they want an extension, it has to be paid by the (original) scheduled finish time.

sleah
15-05-2008, 12:39 PM
No, I tell them the rate & that if they want an extension, it has to be paid by the (original) scheduled finish time.

Ahh, sorry Steve, missunderstood what you meant. Makes perfect sense:o

rob1963
15-05-2008, 01:28 PM
Maybe in Rob World, which seems increasingly like Badger World.

Please don't say that, Steve...the two worlds could not be more different, as you well know. The words 'chalk' & 'cheese' come to mind!

What utter rot!

It's not utter rot at all, Steve, especially as the next thing you said was...

Sure the set up & pack down time & work remains the same

...which is exactly what I was saying!

If your rate is set in stone, then, if you play over your finish time, you charge for it.

Yes I do...probably more so than ANYONE else on this forum!

As previously stated, I won't even play ONE more song without charging for it, whereas many people have posted to say that they will play a couple more or even do an extra 15 minutes without charging.

It doesn't matter what you've been doing for the previous 4 -5 hours, regardless of if it was doing the disco or sitting in your van waiting for FOTB to shut up. It's still time on site, your time that you can't be doing anything else with because you are at the function concerned.

I completely agree with this.

I was simply making the point that, for me, the hardest part of the evening is lugging in all the gear, setting it up, packing it down & lugging it back out to my van...because this is manual work which takes a lot of energy & causes me to sweat buckets...

...and this is no different whether the disco is 4 hours or 6 hours.

Standing there, playing music & doing a bit of chat is hardly in the same category!

Please note I was NOT, however, suggesting that you should not charge more for a longer disco.

I hope that clarifies the situation, and I'm sorry if I didn't make things clear in the first place.

CRAZY K
15-05-2008, 01:42 PM

Wise words-I remember many years ago doing an extra hour--then being asked to do another one--having not been paid for the first "extra hour"

I refused ( politely ) until at least paid for the first hour--whip round in cash from the audience--NOT ideal:eek: :eek: :eek:

CRAZY K

A1DL
15-05-2008, 02:31 PM
Wise words-I remember many years ago doing an extra hour--then being asked to do another one--having not been paid for the first "extra hour"

I refused ( politely ) until at least paid for the first hour--whip round in cash from the audience--NOT ideal:eek: :eek: :eek:

CRAZY K

Not ideal at all Alan!

For over a year now, all our over-runs for non-account customers are paid by credit or debit card, with the DJ over-run fee being added to the value of their cheque. Much simpler for everyone.

Solitaire Events Ltd
15-05-2008, 02:32 PM
Not ideal at all Alan!

For over a year now, all our over-runs for non-account customers are paid by credit or debit card, with the DJ over-run fee being added to the value of their cheque. Much simpler for everyone.

And what time are you open until Tone?

A1DL
15-05-2008, 02:34 PM
And what time are you open until Tone?

the phones are manned until an hour after the last function has finished, Daz

Have a disco
15-05-2008, 02:58 PM
overtime is generally charged by me at the rate of time and a half the hourly rate per half hour over run, so say the booking was £200 for 4 hours it would work out at £75 per extra half hour. This is of course if the venue was allowed to stay open longer within its licencing regulations.

It deters most but on occasions has been paid in cash immediately without question normally with a tip as well. It sometimes pays to be a bit flexible???

No cash no continue simple??

Penfold42
15-05-2008, 03:12 PM
£75 per half hour......are you sure....??

That really is taking the Micheal.....IMO

Do many people go over....i think not...i would exspect that for an hour......IMO

:)

CRAZY K
15-05-2008, 03:12 PM
Not ideal at all Alan!

Back in the 70s things were a little different--

Credit card:confused: :confused: :confused:

CRAZY K

A1DL
15-05-2008, 03:18 PM
overtime is generally charged by me at the rate of time and a half the hourly rate per half hour over run, so say the booking was £200 for 4 hours it would work out at £75 per extra half hour. This is of course if the venue was aloud to stay open longer within its licencing regulations.

It deters most but on occasions has been paid in cash immediately without question normally with a tip as well. It sometimes pays to be a bit flexible???

No cash no continue simple??

£150 per hour sounds very expensive Clifford, especially when this could well be more than you have charged for the basic 4+ hours, based on your post in the "Regional Pricing" thread. Surely you would welcome an over-run opportunity, especially if it's a great party, rather trying to deter by over-pricing (in relation to the base price)?

For once Im gonna have to agree on this subjet. too many variables. I could go about this in a totally different way by saying "do you know how much your local rivals charge?" and do you care. I do so heres the local average

1 a pub booking £120 9pm - 1pm
2 a private party in a social club £140 / function room £185 7.30pm - 11.40pm
3 a wedding in a hotel £140 - £250 dependant on location average times

Back in the 70s things were a little different--

Credit card:confused: :confused: :confused:

CRAZY K

I was a baby then :p

Corabar Steve
15-05-2008, 03:29 PM
. This is of course if the venue was aloud to stay open longer within its licencing regulations.
& if it was silent? :sj:

Danno13
15-05-2008, 03:29 PM
I think what badger was saying, was that its deliberatley high to put people off having extra time.

I'd sooner charge say £50 for the extra hour and have more money in my back pocket! Chances are that they're all enjoying it, if they want another hour, and therefore i'm enjoying the gig as well.

Corabar Steve
15-05-2008, 03:37 PM
I was simply making the point that, for me, the hardest part of the evening is lugging in all the gear, setting it up, packing it down & lugging it back out to my van...because this is manual work which takes a lot of energy & causes me to sweat buckets...

...and this is no different whether the disco is 4 hours or 6 hours..
That's as may be, but as I said...

Sure the set up & pack down time & work remains the same, but it's still your time in between that the punter really pays for. Or do your rates go £X for the disco £X to set it up & £X to take it down again after?.

As far as the punter is concerned they are paying for the time you are (or should be) playing. How many of them even think about te inclusoin of set up / pack down?

Have a disco
15-05-2008, 03:50 PM
punters should have the start and times on there booking contract as well as special clauses to cover things like overtime. As to stop winging from them on occasions like this. But punters do seem to know best (NOT)

I think what badger was saying, was that its deliberatley high to put people off having extra time.

I'd sooner charge say £50 for the extra hour and have more money in my back pocket! Chances are that they're all enjoying it, if they want another hour, and therefore i'm enjoying the gig as well.

Exactly it is deliberately High for a reason but Im not inflexible to this figure if Im enjoying the night as well. Visa versa if the disco was priced lower like £120 then I would only charge £45 per half hour

rob1963
15-05-2008, 04:31 PM
As far as the punter is concerned they are paying for the time you are (or should be) playing. How many of them even think about the inclusion of set up / pack down?

Funnily enough, I've recently had several enquirers ask if this is included in the price or as part of the 5 hour maximum which my prices cover!

if the disco was priced lower like £120 then I would only charge £45 per half hour

So your hourly overtime rate is 75% of your charge for the entire disco!

Out of interest, do you get many takers?

:confused:

Have a disco
15-05-2008, 04:48 PM
Yes I have had quiet a few over the years. Newmarket Race horse owners mainly. Most will only go on an extra half hour but have had over 3 hours before at this rate. I was knackered buy the end of it and still had to pack up and drive home. But it is a deterant mainly

Shaun
15-05-2008, 05:07 PM

I never thought I'd say this but I agree with Badger's way of thinking (in this instance), and do the same thing. My overtime prices are on the high side compared to my regular pricing. As much as I love my job, by the end of the evening I'm ready to go home. I'll play longer if they want me to but it comes at a price.