PDA

View Full Version : Bubble Machine

Mobile Music
14-05-2008, 10:57 AM
Hello,

Was thinking about getting a bubble machine for childrens parties and weddings and wondered if anyone can recommend or discourage me from buying any particular models.

Ive seen an Antari Vivid VB-1 one from Maplin (http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=46641&C=Maplin&U=SearchTop&T=bubble%20machine&doy=14m5)for £40. However after speaking to someone in a DJ equipment shop they said those models had a problem with leaking and were'nt easy to clean. He recommended a £90 Zoom Z30 model and I wondered if he was just trying to up sell me.

The only specification that I have with it is that it must be mountable on my stand (Giraffe 4ft Goal Post Stand) so I can shoot the bubbles over the crowd. I understand you should buy the correct professional fluid as well.

Shaun
14-05-2008, 11:00 AM
Hi there. Please take a moment to read this topic (http://www.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=11711). Thanks.

Solitaire Events Ltd
14-05-2008, 11:05 AM
Hi there. Please take a moment to read this topic (http://www.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=11711). Thanks.

Why?

They've been a member since last August!:D

Shaun
14-05-2008, 11:07 AM
Why?

They've been a member since last August!:D

Yet he's still not introduced himself. What happened to (n)etiquette?

Royalblue
14-05-2008, 11:38 AM
I've tried using bubble machines and I really don't like them. You end up with a dance floor covered in a sticky, slippery gooo. Implications for PLI as well.

Sam
14-05-2008, 11:42 AM
Unless you have a disclaimer. ;)

Mobile Music
14-05-2008, 12:17 PM
Sorry admin will introduce myself now. :o

Ace DJ
14-05-2008, 12:20 PM
You cannot have a disclaimer. There is no such thing as a legal disclaimer.
If you use bubbles or foam you are not covered by PLI.
Ace

Sam
14-05-2008, 12:25 PM
Correct...
you can't disclaim liability for death or personaly injury.
if you had a poster warning that it would be slippery, and people then chose to go on the floor then you might be able to reduce any damages you were liable for but you'd still be liable

UltraBeat Entertainment
14-05-2008, 12:29 PM
Bubble machines creates a really good effect, looks amazing when used with a light show and keeps children entertained for hours:)

:attn: Just be aware that they can make certain floors slippery:attn:

I use two of these:
http://www.images2.co.uk/Stage_Effects/Bubble_Machines_And_Concentrates/Z10_BUBBLE_MACHINE_WITH_TIMER_REMOTE_VB999110.html

Great units with high output and with 2 i find you get the whole dance floor covered when using one at each end of your rig.
Although i recommend the z10 all Zoom bubble machines are good value for money including the z30.

Tip: Ensure you place the unit as high up as possible as this reduces the risk of slippery wet floors and ensures max the coverage

Mobile Music
14-05-2008, 12:39 PM
Thanks for the information. Surely though if you use a professional fluid. I.e. Zoom's own brand then it shouldnt make the floor so slippery. I suppose I could use a remote to limit the amount of bubbles its creating ?

Sam
14-05-2008, 12:42 PM
Why? Does zooms brand float to the ceiling and stay up there????
Sorry but think logically.. it doesn't turn into pixie dust.. the liquid (which is all it is..... liquid that has had air blown on it) HAS to go somewhere.

you certainly WILL need to limit it. I only use very short bursts on very few times per disco. It would be a swimming pool if you ued it often.

UltraBeat Entertainment
14-05-2008, 01:07 PM
I agree with Sam.

It doesn't matter what brand of fluid you buy there all very highly water based which means when the bubbles pop the water has to go somewhere i.e the floor.

There's not much you can do to stop this happening sadly this is a problem we've just got to live and be careful with.

I've heard of some DJ's placing carpet under their bubble machines to caught and excess fluid but that's not going to help the rest of the dance floor.

Sam
14-05-2008, 01:12 PM
Indeed.
That is the problem - nice shiny wood dance floors :D - really doesn't help.

Best advise is if they really want it.. maybe make them still sign a disclaimer (it could make them realise danger and also may put them off from sueing..) and put posters / warnings up.
Clearly advise people of the risk.
Try to monitor the floor and go on a mad mop now and again to soak it up - this is much easier if you do as i do.. and place the bubble machine to the side.. so it is not the "main" section of dance floor.

UltraBeat Entertainment
14-05-2008, 01:28 PM
[QUOTE=Sam;232752]Indeed.
Try to monitor the floor and go on a mad mop now and again to soak it upQUOTE]

I've been using bubble machines for over a year now and have never got to the state that it required me to mop up. as long as you keep an eye on the floor you'll be fine. you'll find different floors react differently but I've found if there shiny they will become slippery as a rule.

Just keep one step ahead of your bubbles:D

Sam
14-05-2008, 01:34 PM
[QUOTE=Sam;232752]Indeed.
Try to monitor the floor and go on a mad mop now and again to soak it upQUOTE]

I've been using bubble machines for over a year now and have never got to the state that it required me to mop up. as long as you keep an eye on the floor you'll be fine. you'll find different floors react differently but I've found if there shiny they will become slippery as a rule.

Just keep one step ahead of your bubbles:D

Fair play.
On the situations I have used it (very rarely though) I have mopped it up - after I nearly slipped over in it and nearly dropped my expensive moving head :D

Mobile Music
14-05-2008, 02:05 PM
Can I ask what units you guys use ?

Sam
14-05-2008, 02:16 PM
http://www.cybermarket.co.uk/ishop/images/923/160570w.jpg

Vectis
14-05-2008, 02:20 PM
This beastie... Wow does it get 'em high and wide especially if you stick a desk fan up it's jacksie :p

UltraBeat Entertainment
14-05-2008, 02:26 PM
This little fellow... It maybe smaller than what the other guys have but he defiantly puts up a powerful punch:)

Sam
14-05-2008, 02:45 PM
I got mine on the cheap.. if I was paying the full amount I would get a smaller one like the two above.. especially as they direct the bubbles up..

Mobile Music
14-05-2008, 02:55 PM
What are they all like for cleaning ? and leakages ?

ppentertainments
14-05-2008, 05:45 PM
Bought a bubble machine, used it twice, now sits in the garage. Too many worries for my liking.

Vectis
14-05-2008, 05:51 PM
What are they all like for cleaning ? and leakages ?

Add 5 minutes for set up and 5 more for take down.

Never had a leak as such but you need to empty trays afterwards and make sure the machine's dried out before transporting it. I carry a bunch of old teatowels in the back of the van.

I probably use mine at about 1 in 10 gigs... they're not as popular as they used to be.

soundmaster mobile disco
14-05-2008, 05:53 PM
I use the chauvet b250 £40 from ukdj.This is a great machine which produces large bubbles,It has a large fan on the back which throws them out.

I have found there to be little difference in the bubble fluids.Some are thicker than others(zoom),but they all do the same thing at the end of the day.

You have to be sensible about the way you use it though.

Sam
14-05-2008, 06:31 PM
Bought a bubble machine, used it twice, now sits in the garage. Too many worries for my liking.

Snap.
Mine really only get used as a "feature" now.
I like to use it when there is a second level or something and the bubbles can float down (and be lit up)... if they are floating down onto a surface that isn't the dance floor.
Doesn't happen much though.. will have to take pictures next time.

spin mobile disco
14-05-2008, 06:58 PM
Only use my one when requested by client. And a signature on the contract states that as the hiree they take any responsibility for damages.

Sam
14-05-2008, 07:01 PM
Only use my one when requested by client. And a signature on the contract states that as the hiree they take any responsibility for damages.

Yes.. all very well... it might make you feel ok about it BUT i quote my post from above.

you can't disclaim liability for death or personaly injury.
if you had a poster warning that it would be slippery, and people then chose to go on the floor then you might be able to reduce any damages you were liable for but you'd still be liable

basically they can still sue the ass off of you :)

mldiscos
14-05-2008, 07:09 PM
do not get a chauvet-b250 this was the worst waste of money i ever bought (after the first 3-4times of using it, i started playing up not spitting bubbles just spitting neat fluid, (fluid bought from my dealer where i bought the machine) and just generally being a right pain in the bottom, they may be cheap but they also dont have a sealed tank more like a plastic tray which also stops you hanging it coz it slops around and drips and generally make one hell of a mess.

cheap price, cheap quality.

http://www.soundlightuk.com/Chauvet/B-200%20Bubble_machine.htm

spin mobile disco
14-05-2008, 07:16 PM
Im not disclaiming. As its a private function and the item is requested by client if they sign to take responsibility.
If you rented a bubble machine for a private gig and someone slipped up you couldnt sue the hire company. You would be liable.

soundmaster mobile disco
14-05-2008, 08:07 PM
do not get a chauvet-b250 this was the worst waste of money i ever bought (after the first 3-4times of using it, i started playing up not spitting bubbles just spitting neat fluid, (fluid bought from my dealer where i bought the machine) and just generally being a right pain in the bottom, they may be cheap but they also dont have a sealed tank more like a plastic tray which also stops you hanging it coz it slops around and drips and generally make one hell of a mess.

cheap price, cheap quality.

http://www.soundlightuk.com/Chauvet/B-200%20Bubble_machine.htm

I have to disagree with you on this one.I have the b250 and had no problems with it.It gives out a great supply of bubbles,not fluid.If you are careful with it when hanging it up on your tbar or on top of a speaker then its fine.My one does not make that much mess,its the person in control of the bubble machine that makes the mess.

UltraBeat Entertainment
15-05-2008, 07:58 AM
My z10 has never had any problems, no spillages or excess fluid on the floor. I use the machine probably 6 out of 10 gigs so pretty often and have never had a problem. cleaning is simple but the that's need washing out every other use or so to stop them becoming sticky.

Comes with remote control with timer so you can control everything. Time, size of bubbles, duration and fan seed. Can't go wrong with this unit in my eyes:)

Mobile Music
15-05-2008, 11:34 AM
Thanks a lot guys. Think Im probably gonna get the Z10 as at least I can control the amount of bubbles. I normally put a baking tray under my fog machine incase of leakages so will probably do the same for this. :)