PDA

View Full Version : My cunning plan

Excalibur
15-05-2008, 11:21 PM
and a question. There's always a question, isn't there? :D

OK, so the Cortex feeds channels 1 and 2 on the mixer, and since I'm so set in my ways, I have two more available. 3 is for the combined CD/Minidisc deck I've now found a perfect use for,which leaves channel four. As you all know, I'm worried my failing memory will not be able to cope without the inspiration from browsing CD sleeves, so there's a laptop, intended for database use only. I say intended, cos now I've found media monkey, I have a dual purpose database/playout system.:D
Now here's the question. Obviously, I need a high grade sound card so the Maya is the only one I know, except there are two other variables. If I were to get a mixer like say the Numark 200USB (I think) it will have a card built in , won't it, and it does 90% of what I want in a mixer for less than £200 or so. If I were to get the Maya, or one similar I might want to upgrade the existing mixer, which would be very costly with what I have in mind. ;)

Right, please don't give me the "all you'll need is the Cortex/Numark/Denon/Lappy" cos for now that's not gonna happen. The question, with two fixed parameters is " Soundcard plus mixer, or mixer with card built in? Mixer minimum is two dedicated Mic channels, four audio.
Your thoughts as ever appreciated, and suggestions of what you recommend would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

3,500 and rising.;)

Penfold42
15-05-2008, 11:32 PM
Maya's alot of money...for me at this moment in time...:)
I bought a cheap sound card for £30.00...Sound blaster i think....till the money is rolling in but this is only used for my laptop back up.

But i thought a sound card is only for use on a laptop.....:confused: ......if you have a mixer why would you need a sound card......should the Cortex have a sound card.....:)

Excalibur
16-05-2008, 12:02 AM
Maya's alot of money...for me at this moment in time...:)
I bought a cheap sound card for £30.00...Sound blaster i think....till the money is rolling in but this is only used for my laptop back up.

But i thought a sound card is only for use on a laptop.....:confused: ......if you have a mixer why would you need a sound card......should the Cortex have a sound card.....:)
It does Tony, but I need one for the lappy! ;) ;) Unless of course I get a mixer like the Numark with one built in.

Penfold42
16-05-2008, 08:23 AM
Ah OK....i use this one then http://www.epctechuk.com/index.php?target=products&product_id=30711
:)

Solitaire Events Ltd
16-05-2008, 09:57 AM
I wouldn't advise getting a mixer with soundcard in as it depends on the software you are using to whether you can configure it.

CRAZY K
16-05-2008, 10:35 AM
Hi Peter, I think your saying you want to play your Laptop through the mixer as an additional play out source.

If its only back up or for using on odd occasions have you considered using the internal sound card and not bothering with anything else?

My Lappy is an 18 month old Acer and playing music through the Peavey System with the Subs sounds pretty ok to me.

Have you started doing Virtual Discos with the 3500 tracks to make sure everything is settling in nicely?

If not thats the next job:thumbs_up:

regards

ALAN
CRAZY K

JAMdisco
16-05-2008, 03:03 PM
The Numark CM200USB uses the same sound card as my USB mixer and works in the same way (and you know what mine sounds like so you can decide from that :D ).

I think it looks like a nice mixer and even something I would perhaps consider in the near future ;)

It comes with 2 USB cables as well (which saves a lot of trawling about for an additional one) - may seem obvious but there are a lot of USB mixers that only come with one USB lead. :bang:

I think this would be a good choice and if it were me (and my experience of Numark) I would go for it.

By the way, shop around, you can get them for well under £200 :D

Excalibur
16-05-2008, 06:15 PM
I wouldn't advise getting a mixer with soundcard in as it depends on the software you are using to whether you can configure it.

Wharever happened to plug and play? :confused: :bang:

Hi Peter, I think your saying you want to play your Laptop through the mixer as an additional play out source.
Yes! Yes :)

If its only back up or for using on odd occasions have you considered using the internal sound card and not bothering with anything else?

No. I may try it first to see privately, but from what I gather, the internal one could be lower grade, and I think it will come from a headphone socket, which is never good news.

My Lappy is an 18 month old Acer and playing music through the Peavey System with the Subs sounds pretty ok to me.
Mine's a brand new Acer! :p :D

Have you started doing Virtual Discos with the 3500 tracks to make sure everything is settling in nicely?

If not thats the next job:thumbs_up:

regards

ALAN
CRAZY K

Every night's a virtual disco here!:D :D :D :D When I get tired of ripping, or find another mug to show it to, I just run it round.
Tip, Alan. Try " East-West" and see what happens during playback;) :D

The Numark CM200USB uses the same sound card as my USB mixer and works in the same way (and you know what mine sounds like so you can decide from that :D ).

I think it looks like a nice mixer and even something I would perhaps consider in the near future ;)

It comes with 2 USB cables as well (which saves a lot of trawling about for an additional one) - may seem obvious but there are a lot of USB mixers that only come with one USB lead. :bang:

I think this would be a good choice and if it were me (and my experience of Numark) I would go for it.

By the way, shop around, you can get them for well under £200 :D

The card I didn't know, The price I did.;) So do I pay £175,and go Numark /similar, or £450 for the one I fancy with a stand alone soundcard?

CRAZY K
16-05-2008, 10:09 PM
No. I may try it first to see privately, but from what I gather, the internal one could be lower grade, and I think it will come from a headphone socket, which is never good news.

Try it at Disco volume with Subs--you may get a pleasant surprise--

CRAZY K

Kernow
17-05-2008, 08:50 AM

Try it at Disco volume with Subs--you may get a pleasant surprise--

CRAZY K

Like the neighbours popping round with a baseball bat ?? :D

Vectis
17-05-2008, 09:05 AM
I've been a happy CM200USB user since they first hit the shelves.

I have Ch1 & Ch2 dedicated to the d2.
Ch3 is to the lappy I use for music playout for background sets (USB)
Ch4 is to the lappy I use for video (USB)
Ch5 is to my radio mic.
Dedicated mic channel is in case I plug in a wired set, not often.

Nice bit of kit for the money, all the levels nicely balanced irrespective of source so no gain issues depending whether you're coming from line/phono/USB feeds.

Probably doesn't help your dilemma....

I think Rob may be using the same/similar? (but not USB, obviously as that's far too modern :D )

rob1963
17-05-2008, 11:11 AM

Ch5 is to my radio mic.

Nice bit of kit for the money, all the levels nicely balanced irrespective of source so no gain issues depending whether you're coming from line/phono/USB feeds.

I think Rob may be using the same/similar? (but not USB, obviously as that's far too modern :D )

Indeed I am Vectis...well-remembered.

I use a CM100, and have just bought another for my new digital console.

Channels 1 and 2 will be for my D2, channel 3 will be used for the single CD player in my new console (partly for back up & partly for when I'm handed a CD to play) and channel 4 won't be used unless the D2 packs up, in which case it will have my spare CD player plugged into it.

Simple!

Excalibur
17-05-2008, 01:14 PM

Ch5 is to my radio mic.

Exactly the answer I was looking for Vectis, a satisfied Numark user, doing virtually exactly what I wish to with it. Obviously than plan A is perfectly workable, but I want to go with plan B! What a shame the price differential is the wrong way!:( :( :(

JAMdisco
19-05-2008, 04:05 PM
Exactly the answer I was looking for Vectis, a satisfied Numark user, doing virtually exactly what I wish to with it. Obviously than plan A is perfectly workable, but I want to go with plan B! What a shame the price differential is the wrong way!:( :( :(

What's wrong with 'perfectly workable'? or is it that you just want more knobs and bells and whistles - I know how obsessed you are with these :p :D

Penfold42
19-05-2008, 04:10 PM
What's wrong with 'perfectly workable'? or is it that you just want more knobs and bells and whistles - I know how obsessed you are with these :p :D

:eek:

Excalibur
19-05-2008, 08:25 PM
:eek:

Don't look so shocked Tony, I simply could not be seen using a mixer like Justin has. Basic is not the word! Sounds lovely, but I'd have to build a console designed to hide it!;) :D

BTW, if you don't like your Cortex, I'll give you £50 for it. ;) :D :D

Penfold42
19-05-2008, 08:31 PM
BTW, if you don't like your Cortex, I'll give you £50 for it. ;) :D :D

:eek: ........:handbag:

I didn't say '"I don't like it!".....i said it's been relegated to the third division......don't mean to say I'm not going to use it......

Now be quite and get ripping....plenty to do there chap...:p :D

:beer1: :beer1: :beer1:

Excalibur
19-05-2008, 09:18 PM
:eek: ........:handbag:

I didn't say '"I don't like it!".....i said it's been relegated to the third division......don't mean to say I'm not going to use it......

Now be quite and get ripping....plenty to do there chap...:p :D

:beer1: :beer1: :beer1:

Night off from ripping, I've just annoyed a very helpful and patient Vectis. Thanks ever so much, Martin. Nice to know I'm heading vaguely in the right direction. I now must tidy up the mis-tagged files before adding even more. More haste less speed perhaps. ;) :D

JAMdisco
20-05-2008, 10:10 AM
Don't look so shocked Tony, I simply could not be seen using a mixer like Justin has. Basic is not the word! Sounds lovely, but I'd have to build a console designed to hide it!;) :D

Fair comment, I agree, it is VERY basic. I've had Mixing desks in the past so have seen enough buttons and knobs (no pun intended) to last me a lifetime.

I'm all for an easy life so basically I set up VDJ how I like it (sound-wise) then if my sound needs tweaking, 2 pots is all I need, easy :p :D

Jaggiebunnett
27-05-2008, 12:39 AM
picked up a MAYA44 on ebay for $85 posting included.
Windows found it and installed it without the fancy driver disc and PCDJFXRM was easily configured to "player 1 ch/1+2"
"player 2 ch/3+4"
I use channel 2+3 on my DNX400 for the Laptop and channel 1+4 on the mixer for my DNS100 mp3 cd players.
Taking a bit of getting used to the 4 channels and all but thats how it goes, another 10 discos and I will be able to do it blindfold..lol.
Digital is the way to go although being a bit of an old fart it's hard to let go of the old days and the feel of real turntables.
ordered a case to put all this in and even keep the laptop permanently in there so its open the case and plug in the mains and plug in the audio lead and bobs yer uncle.:D :D

JAMdisco
27-05-2008, 08:11 AM
...even keep the laptop permanently in there so its open the case and plug in the mains and plug in the audio lead and bobs yer uncle.:D :D

What! You don't use speakers :eek: :p :D

Jaggiebunnett
27-05-2008, 02:06 PM
What! You don't use speakers :eek: :p :D

one piece at a time grasshopper:D :D

Excalibur
28-05-2008, 07:59 PM
Right, well tomorrow is the first trip out with a "Hybrid " rig! Cortex, Laptop connected from headphone socket, and CD/Minidisc decks. As we speak, I couldn't go out fully digital yet, there's all the Now's to rip, plus the more esoteric ones in my boxes, so the fully digital disco is still a dream as yet.:(

I now have a Master HD sat by the PC, and separate external HD's each for Cortex and Laptop. After an abortive attempt to join all the Cortex bits up as instructed with a powered hub, it turned out the hub was faulty!:bang: :bang: Replaced it with different one, and Voila, sockets to spare, and the Cortex seems to like it better. Now if I can only sort out this singles download game, I've cracked it! Let's see if Media Monkey can play WMA files? :confused: ;) ;)

Did I jump from CD's just in time? I see today Woolies will no longer sell singles soon!

Excalibur
29-05-2008, 04:37 PM
All loaded up, and I'm really worried. Can't remember the last time I did a gig with only two speakers! :eek: :D :D No seriously, the van's half empty, this venue is poor access, so nothing over the top, it's a wedding as well, so tasteful is the word.;)

Just run the gear up, sounds lovely, the only niggle is I knew I should have got some GLI's for the laptop, but I can run it from battery as it's mainly for the singles and data at the moment. Just the two small cases of unripped CD's with me, the Minidiscs of course ( with which I can nearly do a disco on their own ) so let's see how it all goes.:D