PDA

View Full Version : To sum up.....

Charlie Brown
18-05-2008, 12:34 PM
Well as most of you know there where a few problems regarding a 60th and 50th this weekend...

Friday night:

Started off around 8ish playing Jack Johnson and Frank Sinatra. Around 9.00 I pumped up the music and started playing all the 50's to today, and not once was any less than 20 people on the dance floor. This gave me a great buzz, and soon had the confidence to speak on the mic etc. I could see people were a bit tipsy now, so we decided to sing happy birthday to the birthday girl,

I used a children’s party song that was so cringey went really well,

bit more of songs, Delilah etc, then I decided to do something a bit different for me:
I explained to everyone that we are going to do the hokey cokey, so everyone quickly got into a circle, including me! and we all did the hokey cokey!! Next was Love Train and Amarillo, around the cricket field, which again I was asked to join in! Finally, we did barn dancing to 5,6,7,8, again I joined in! For the rest of the night we returned to normal disco and many people asked me for my business cards, and every time I went to the bar for a drink, somebody would pop and say, "I'll get that, you doing a cracking job!" So all in all, didn’t finish till 1.00am and towards the end, the laptop had a little panic attack but I soon sorted that out:D

Saturday I set up around 12.00. The woman ignored me although the man did say "You have missed the band." As I thought, they had a Mackie speaker system set up either side, and I was given a very small space to DJ, and was told the goalpost had to go right to the back of the garage(we were in the garage and the marquee lead on from that. The trouble was all the lights where hitting the garage and not going into the marquee.) For 3 hours, I took my time setting up and not once was I offered a drink by the woman or man! The woman came and apologised and explained she doesn’t like parties etc, and that she was stressed. I was then given a cup of tea, and invited into the house to watch TV! I was expecting the boy to be in, but he was at cricket.

Come 8.00 the guests start arriving, very posh, everyone in suits etc and the band are playing, around 9.00 the band have a break and I play Jack Johnson etc till 8.45, and the band come back on till around 11.00.

I start at 11 and soon realise that I'm not going to be able to do the hokey cokey etc! Start off with Dancing in the moonlight then Livan'La'Voca.

Everyone gets on the dance floor for a good hour and half, and the comments were brill! A coach comes and takes a lot of people home, at around 12.30

Everyone said they had a really good night, and again where very impressed!
Hopefully I have a few 60th's out of it AND a wedding reception on the 7th August. What do you think, they want me to ring them today..... Do I do it..or do I dont

Many thanks Charlie

DJWilson
18-05-2008, 12:45 PM
if you enjoyed yourself and would like to do another one and spread out the type of ocassions then go for it! Good luck

theoloyla
18-05-2008, 01:38 PM
Well done. Go for it. As you are finding its not all fun, fun, fun there is a lot of hard and thankless work too but when it all comes together and works well there is nothing like it. Provided you are prepared to play to your audience not at them then grab the experience (and the money) whilst its there on offer.

ppentertainments
18-05-2008, 02:04 PM
Why not go for it ???? I think you have learned a lot from this gig, as we all had to. Well done for not giving up !!!!!!

ross@rds
18-05-2008, 02:15 PM
Sounds like a good time was had by all well done. Any pics of your set up or the gig ?

Solitaire Events Ltd
18-05-2008, 04:17 PM
Well done Charlie - great job.

Have you also been taking typing lessons? :sj:

Jiggles
18-05-2008, 04:21 PM

:lol:

djsteve10
18-05-2008, 05:26 PM
Glad that you had a good one charlie,
Keep up the good work.

Ps did you get somebody to write that for you :P

leighinstoke
18-05-2008, 05:35 PM
Hopefully I have a few 60th's out of it AND a wedding reception on the 7th August. What do you think, they want me to ring them today..... Do I do it..or do I dont

Of course you ring - that's how word of mouth goes..... you do a good job, get your details passed on, then another and passed on.....

I must be on my 6th birthday gig for a bunch of 6th formers that pass my details onto each other.

Leigh.....

Charlie Brown
18-05-2008, 06:01 PM
Well done Charlie - great job.

Glad that you had a good one charlie,
Keep up the good work.

Ps did you get somebody to write that for you :P

Hahah no... but it did take me 25min, and I had to copy and paste it to word for spellings etc. lol

I have rung the wedding people and they sounded pretty rough and common(without being mean)...

It’s in a pub with a buffet, and they are thinking of having three DJ's and they don’t understand that DJ's play all kind of music.

After explaining that we can play pretty much anything, she gave me a little music quiz over the phone, with the kids screaming in the background for lollipops and the dad shouting "Make sure he has Reggie."

The quiz included naming artists of different types of music; Motown, Reggie etc.

I kind of passed the quiz and I'm hoping to hear from them later...

It may mean missing out on going away with either, mum or dad...and possibly a cruise.

but I'm prepared to miss out, this once:D

lol

Also today I have had a booking for a 60th and a 21st all at the same time, but that’s not till next march, so look forward to me bombarding you lot with questions the night before, like I did a few days ago!!!!!!

P.S I will post some pictures off last night, later on....

Thanks guys!!

Solitaire Events Ltd
18-05-2008, 06:05 PM
Hahah no... but it did take me 25min, and I had to copy and paste it to word for spellings etc. lol

I was joking, but your posts are so much better and more easily readable now. Well done for bothering. (Others take note...;) )

Penfold42
18-05-2008, 06:39 PM
Well done Charlie....:)

I was joking, but your posts are so much better and more easily readable now. Well done for bothering. (Others take note...;) )

Sorry Boss.....:p

Corabar Steve
19-05-2008, 06:55 AM
Reggie who?

JAMdisco
19-05-2008, 07:01 AM
Reggie who?

You mean you've never heard of the legendary 'Bob Reggie'???

P.S. Well done Charlie :D

BeerFunk
19-05-2008, 05:09 PM
Nice one Charlie! I'm glad it went well, I was a bit afraid that it would go all pear shaped for you, but thankfully not!

Also today I have had a booking for a 60th and a 21st all at the same time, but that’s not till next march, so look forward to me bombarding you lot with questions the night before, like I did a few days ago!!!!!!No no no!! One or two the night before, the rest well in advance! ;)