PDA

View Full Version : Keeping children under control at functions

nigelwright7557
18-05-2008, 06:00 PM
We get quite a lot of enquiries for children's parties that we can't cover (they tend to have the shortest lead-time between enquiry and party and so we are already booked).

I am often asked if I know of anyone else who does children's disco parties, but I am not sure how many of you do them, so I thought it would be useful if people posted here if you do kids parties and the areas you cover for them. That way, if anyone gets an enquiry they can point them in your direction!

I'll then make this thread a 'sticky' so that everyone can find it easily if and when needed :)

How do you cope with the kids crawling all over your gear ?

My last gig had kids pulling at the lights and running around the stage.
I asked for parents to get their kids of the stage and was ignored !
So I turned off the disco until they got them.
Kids and hot lights and electricity are not a safe mix.

Solitaire Events Ltd
18-05-2008, 06:03 PM
How do you cope with the kids crawling all over your gear ?

Make it more child friendly. Why would you have hot lights where they could touch them? Put them up and out of the way. :)

nigelwright7557
18-05-2008, 06:19 PM
Make it more child friendly. Why would you have hot lights where they could touch them? Put them up and out of the way. :)

If I put the lights on a stand that is worse as they could pull it over on top of them !

Surely a disco is a place of work and should not have kids anywhere near ?

Does my insurance cover me if the kids are on the stage pulling over the gear ? Or am I supposed to ask them to leave ?

Solitaire Events Ltd
18-05-2008, 06:21 PM
If I put the lights on a stand that is worse as they could pull it over on top of them !

Surely a disco is a place of work and should not have kids anywhere near ?

And how would you do that then at a kids party? :confused:

nigelwright7557
18-05-2008, 06:23 PM
And how would you do that then at a kids party? :confused:

It wasnt a kids party ! it was an engagement party.
I dont do kids parties or weddings.......

Surely the kids should be on the dance floor not the stage ?

Solitaire Events Ltd
18-05-2008, 06:26 PM
It wasnt a kids party ! it was an engagement party.

Surely the kids should be on the dance floor not the stage ?

I agree.

This is a thread about kids parties which is why I thought you were talking about kids parties funnily enough....:rolleyes:

You do engagement parties, but not weddings? Can I ask why that would be? Surely there's not a lot of difference?

ppentertainments
18-05-2008, 06:28 PM
When doing functions where kids are present ie weddings etc obviously you need to make sure your setup is as child friendly as possible. I tend to cater for the kids early on to keep them amused - ignore them and trouble could occur. Have only ever had one function where the kids ran riot - 2 announcements over the microphone and was quickly sorted.

An all round modile dj should be able to cater for this in my opinion

Solitaire Events Ltd
18-05-2008, 06:32 PM
I have moved these posts and started a new thread to stop the kids party one going off topic.

Jiggles
18-05-2008, 06:33 PM
Tazer... Oh thats illegal.. :D

nigelwright7557
18-05-2008, 06:35 PM
I agree.

This is a thread about kids parties which is why I thought you were talking about kids parties funnily enough....:rolleyes:

You do engagement parties, but not weddings? Can I ask why that would be? Surely there's not a lot of difference?

I had one booking for a wedding and the bride was never off the phone continually changing her mind about what she wanted. In the end I got fed up and cancelled the booking and told her to find someone else.
She was ringing me up at my full time job and causing problems between myself and my boss !
I could either considerably up the booking fee for wedding gigs or just forget the weddings as too much hassle.
I am a "do it for fun" DJ so hassle is not on the cards.

Solitaire Events Ltd
18-05-2008, 06:52 PM
I think you need to change your website which states "We provide rock, soul and pop music for all occasions, birthday parties, weddings, charity, Christmas parties etc. etc. "

nigelwright7557
18-05-2008, 07:04 PM
I think you need to change your website which states "We provide rock, soul and pop music for all occasions, birthday parties, weddings, charity, Christmas parties etc. etc. "

Too late, thats what it says in Yellow pages !!!

At the end of the day it is up to me whether I take on bookings or not.
My ideas on what I want to take on changes with time so best to leave the options open.

I have changed my booking form terms and conditions to reflect my experiences. See below.

-----------------------------------
Terms and Conditions.

The Rocking DJ Disco will do it’s utmost to turn up for and perform at this event. If it can’t then notice will be given as soon as possible and the deposit returned.

The Rocking DJ Disco will do its best to provide the music asked for, but reasonably cant carry every single song ever recorded and so will provide the type of music asked for so long as it comes under the genre of rock, pop, club or soul music.

The safety of children is of paramount importance, therefore under no circumstances can children be allowed on the stage with hot lights and electrical equipment.

The stage should be kept clear of none disco personnel at all times. Any requests can be made from the side of the stage.

If at any time the DJ feels they or the disco equipment is under threat they are entitled to end the performance and leave the venue.

The Rocking DJ Disco is there for your entertainment. If you are not happy with the music being played then let the DJ know straight away and they will offer alternatives. Waiting for the end of the event before complaining is not acceptable and will not get you a refund or partial refund.

It takes around 45 minutes to set up the disco equipment and the same to take it down, arrangements must be made by the client to ensure the venue is open in time and time is given to take the gear down at the end of the event. Disco gear will not be left and collected the next day under any circumstances.

Solitaire Events Ltd
18-05-2008, 07:10 PM
I don't quite understand. One minute you say you don't do weddings 'cos you can't be bothered with the hassle and the next minute you are leaving your options open?

Personally, cancelling a booking for a wedding 'cos the bride was too much hassle and kept changing things makes me think you really shouldn't be involved with anyone's wedding at all.

nigelwright7557
18-05-2008, 07:15 PM
I don't quite understand. One minute you say you don't do weddings 'cos you can't be bothered with the hassle and the next minute you are leaving your options open?

Personally, cancelling a booking for a wedding 'cos the bride was too much hassle and kept changing things makes me think you really shouldn't be involved with anyone's wedding at all.

So why cant I pick and choose which bookings I want ?

I often refuse bookings coz I dont fancy them.

Not every bride is on the phone all the time changing her mind.

My disco, my choice......

Solitaire Events Ltd
18-05-2008, 07:18 PM
So why cant I pick and choose which bookings I want ?

You can, but you've already posted that...

So you don't do weddings, but you do....:confused:

nigelwright7557
18-05-2008, 07:28 PM
You can, but you've already posted that...

So you don't do weddings, but you do....:confused:

You got it !

Solitaire Events Ltd
18-05-2008, 07:30 PM
I'm going to have a lie down....

rob1963
18-05-2008, 07:38 PM
Interesting thread...if not confusing!

:rolleyes:

nigelwright7557
18-05-2008, 07:42 PM
Interesting thread...if not confusing!

The thread is basically about how you deal with unruly kids at gigs (not necesarily kids parties).

Should the DJ be looking after kids or playing music and looking after the lights ?

Candybeatdiscos
18-05-2008, 08:13 PM
Daz Wakey Wakey!!!!

discomobiledj
18-05-2008, 08:18 PM
The thread is basically about how you deal with unruly kids at gigs (not necesarily kids parties).

Should the DJ be looking after kids or playing music and looking after the lights ?

The Tazer is illegal, as long as you have a gun licence:D .............only kidding!

BeerFunk
18-05-2008, 08:58 PM
I agree that the parents shoul dbe responsible, but they are there to relax and enjoy themselves too, so it's a tough one. I think ideally you should set up in such a way that there's nothing of interest for kids to play with/investigate (:confused:)

This would point to lighting up out of the way, as already mentioned, all stands and frames covered so they don't look good to climb on, and setting up a fair distance from the edge of the stage. I say that about the stage, because young boys in particular love to dance on the stage to show off to everyone - so if you're close to the edge of the stage, they will be close to you!

Another option would be to take cheap balloons or glowsticks to give to them to keep them occupied! :D

Shaun
18-05-2008, 09:00 PM
I had one booking for a wedding and the bride was never off the phone continually changing her mind about what she wanted. In the end I got fed up and cancelled the booking and told her to find someone else.

Unbelievable!!

You cancelled because the bride changed her mind a few times??....that's all part of the job.

Probably for the best though, imagine if the bride had a DJ who was "fed up" getting everything just perfect for her. It's probably best that you don't do weddings anymore.

soundtracker
18-05-2008, 09:35 PM
Surely if you don't want bridezilla to phone you during your full time work - you don't give her your work number!! Seems a no-brainer to me!

Mayhem 1
19-05-2008, 06:48 AM
Interesting Post Chaps,

I never seem to have any problems whatsoever with children touching any of my equipment but I know my line (Children's parties) are a lot different to weddings etc but....................

Before I start any function I always have them sit down right at the start for the introductions and this then leads into the "Golden Don't Do's"

1) Do not cross my working line (I always put a strip of masking tape down) in front of the equipment as my working area.

2) Don't do any sliding on the knees because we dont want any accidents

3) And lastly, Boys are not to boo the girls for 2 reasons:- Firstly because it is not nice, Secondly if they do all sweeties and prizes will go to the girls and lastly, if any boys boo the girls that means they fancy them!!!

I know this is slightly off topic (sorry for that)

But reverting back to the start, just sit them down and explain that it is very expensive equipment and you would not want to ask their mum or dad to pay for damages, as soon as that is mentioned the parents are usually very quick to drag their children back if getting to close.

Corabar Steve
19-05-2008, 08:00 AM
She was ringing me up at my full time job and causing problems between myself and my boss !
I could either considerably up the booking fee for wedding gigs or just forget the weddings as too much hassle.
I am a "do it for fun" DJ so hassle is not on the cards.

Maybe it's time you hung up your headphones & left it to those of us who do it as a job then. Quite frankly that's outrageous, but as Shaun said, probably for the best because I pitty any bride who copped a DJ with that attitude.

nigelwright7557
19-05-2008, 09:25 AM
Interesting Post Chaps,

I never seem to have any problems whatsoever with children touching any of my equipment but I know my line (Children's parties) are a lot different to weddings etc but....................

Before I start any function I always have them sit down right at the start for the introductions and this then leads into the "Golden Don't Do's"

1) Do not cross my working line (I always put a strip of masking tape down) in front of the equipment as my working area.

2) Don't do any sliding on the knees because we dont want any accidents

3) And lastly, Boys are not to boo the girls for 2 reasons:- Firstly because it is not nice, Secondly if they do all sweeties and prizes will go to the girls and lastly, if any boys boo the girls that means they fancy them!!!

I know this is slightly off topic (sorry for that)

But reverting back to the start, just sit them down and explain that it is very expensive equipment and you would not want to ask their mum or dad to pay for damages, as soon as that is mentioned the parents are usually very quick to drag their children back if getting to close.

Thanks, there are some good pointers there.

sleah
19-05-2008, 09:35 AM
I agree that the parents shoul dbe responsible, but they are there to relax and enjoy themselves too, so it's a tough one.

Not sure I agree with that. Having kids is a full time 24/7 responsibility, if you want to relax and not take full responibility for your children at a function then either don't take the kids (get a baby sitter) or don't have kids in the first place!!!

Why the hell should other people have to suffer YOUR childrens behaviour just because you want to relax?
Don't the other guests have a right to relax too, and workers have a right to get on with their own job without telling YOUR kids to sod off or behave?

Children are their parents (or guardians) responsiblity, if that means they can't relax - TOUGH!

Solitaire Events Ltd
19-05-2008, 09:59 AM
I'm guessing you don't have kids Simon?

yourdj
19-05-2008, 10:33 AM
Had a problem once when setting up. the parents were in a separate room and they could not care about the kids. I ended up having a toddler almost pull over my speaker, which would probably mean imminent brain damage!

It not my job to discipline kids (this was a wedding), but i often try.

I am normally very good with children but they had no respect at all. i have now bought a cordon rope and warning sign when setting up which will cover me if anything happens to them.

After that you can always embarrass them with over the mic. or play a few tunes they want and keep them occupied. never show weakness as they will feed off it! Your the boss. If all goes bad threaten to finish the disco early.

Corabar Steve
19-05-2008, 12:18 PM
Oddly enough kids don't tend to come anywhere near me at functions other than kids parties.

theoloyla
19-05-2008, 12:28 PM
My Jan intervenes when kids get too close.

discomobiledj
19-05-2008, 03:59 PM
Oddly enough kids don't tend to come anywhere near me at functions other than kids parties.

I'm not surprised looking like that! :D

nigelwright7557
19-05-2008, 04:02 PM
I'm not surprised looking like that! :D

LMAO !!!!

BeerFunk
19-05-2008, 05:36 PM
Not sure I agree with that. Having kids is a full time 24/7 responsibility, if you want to relax and not take full responibility for your children at a function then either don't take the kids (get a baby sitter) or don't have kids in the first place!!!

Why the hell should other people have to suffer YOUR childrens behaviour just because you want to relax?
Don't the other guests have a right to relax too, and workers have a right to get on with their own job without telling YOUR kids to sod off or behave?

Children are their parents (or guardians) responsiblity, if that means they can't relax - TOUGH!That's very harsh. The majority of people like kids, and appreciate that they won't sit down and behave, in fact - they expect them not to.

If the parents can see where they are, and they're not causing any bother (other than perhaps a bit of annoyance to the less tolerable types), then why not? I don't see why some kids running around, sliding on their knees or popping balloons is misbehaving. They're just having fun, and as I said, people appreciate that.

I do agree that as soon as they start climbing on things, or bothering other people - then the parents should step in.

axeman
19-05-2008, 06:32 PM
ive had more trouble with the drunken adults falling over and wanting to be on the stage, than with the kids...lol

yourdj
19-05-2008, 07:46 PM
The kids at the function i mentioned were eating the wedding cake! before it was cut! when the parents found out they did not seem to know how to tell them off.

if that was my child they would be in the first taxi home and spend the night with a baby sitter in bed, and get a grilling in the morning.

Corabar Steve
19-05-2008, 09:18 PM
The kids at the function i mentioned were eating the wedding cake! before it was cut! when the parents found out they did not seem to know how to tell them off. .

Because they aren't allowed to discipline kids these days

rob1963
19-05-2008, 10:36 PM

And that's one of the biggest problems with this country at the moment.

Solitaire Events Ltd
19-05-2008, 10:42 PM

And that's one of the biggest problems with this country at the moment.

Say two men both without children....:rolleyes:

yourdj
19-05-2008, 10:44 PM

I agree, I remember being hit by adults and i never said anything cos i deserved it (apart from once).

There is always an a means without violence i think (although a clip round the ear does not do any harm :D ). Im tough on our two dogs (rotweier & Alsatian) within reason as they could be dangerous dogs but they are so well behaved i do not have to utter a word and they do as they are told now days.

My girlfriend is a very good teacher in a rubbish school. She never raises her voice and only ever says things like "Im very disappointed in you" with all the eyes and tone and they get really mortified as all they know is "what have you done you little xxxx why cant you behave". Some see her as the main positive discipline in their life which is really nice i think.

Corabar Steve
19-05-2008, 10:56 PM
Say two men both without children....:rolleyes:

What's that got to do with it? (& do you know that for a fact?)

When parents were allowed to give their kids a clip round the ear they were better behaved in general.

What are you going to do now? Take away their iPod? It'll be obsolete & they'll want a new one in a few months anyway.

Parents aren't allowed to discipline children anymore, ergo there are no repercussions if they do anything wrong.

"Don't do that" doesn't have the same effect as a smack. If they're told not to do something whitout there being a consequence, chances are they'll do it again. Once they've had a smack for it, they'll think twice about it.

Solitaire Events Ltd
19-05-2008, 11:05 PM
What's that got to do with it? (& do you know that for a fact?)

I know you don't have kids living with you.

If you don't have children then how can you possibly have any experience to draw on to make informed decisions.

It's all very well making comments about how kids should be diciplined, but what exactly are you basing that on?

Sapphire Disco
19-05-2008, 11:29 PM
All children are different some need more discipline than others, the main thing is lack of respect and the trouble is if the parents don't have any manners or respect it normally rubs off on to their children.

Solitaire Events Ltd
19-05-2008, 11:31 PM
the trouble is if the parents don't have any manners or respect it normally rubs off on to their children.

I totally agree.

Shaun
19-05-2008, 11:33 PM
This debate is teetering on the edge of being a poilitical discussion. I could add a lot of thought about the governments stance on not being able to smack your kids, but it'll break the forum rules. I completely agree with Steve though. [guess that makes 3 without kids...eh Daz. :d]

Solitaire Events Ltd
19-05-2008, 11:40 PM
The point is Shaun, is that how can you have an idea or opinion on something that you have no experience of?

When you have kids, your pre-conceived ideas go straight out of the window.

Everything changes.

And sorry, but what Steve says is a standard answer from people who don't understand kids and how to discipline them.

DJWayne
20-05-2008, 12:25 AM
When parents were allowed to give their kids a clip round the ear they were better behaved in general.

I agree 100%

What are you going to do now? Take away their iPod? It'll be obsolete & they'll want a new one in a few months anyway.

A lot of parents don't really understand how to punish a child to get the point across about their behaviour it doesnt have to be a smack, an early night with no TV works just as well.

Parents aren't allowed to discipline children anymore, ergo there are no repercussions if they do anything wrong.

That the way things are going unfortunately soon you wont even be able to tell them off if the do gooders have their way.

"Don't do that" doesn't have the same effect as a smack. If they're told not to do something whitout there being a consequence, chances are they'll do it again. Once they've had a smack for it, they'll think twice about it.

I agree but there has to be limits we have all seen parents shopping in town hitting their children and some do take it too far. But there are certain circumstances where a smack is acceptable and probably the best means of punishment.

I have 3 children beforee anyone asks and I agree that having children changes your outlook completely but i have also found that however you were brought up as a child is pretty much the way you will bring your own children up. My parents were strict and i am strict with the children but to highlight the point of this thread I took my children on holiday and we were in a bar with a karaoke , my partner and I were sat outside and the kids were watching the karaoke for most of the night without us directly supervising them, I could see them from where i was and checked on them when i went to the bar. At the end of the evening the KJ made a point of coming over to us and commenting on how well behaved the children were considering they were only 7,6 and 3 they sat quietly watching the show and were really polite when he gave them lollipops.I dont think i can ever remember a disco with kids present where i could say the same.

The bottom line is your kids are your responsibility no matter what the occaision if they are playing up you need to sort them out. If i have problems at a function with children making a nuisance of themselves I just make a "safety announcement" over the mic about the children and the equipment and possible cost of damages and the kids miraculously disappear to another part of the room ;)

#

Corabar Steve
20-05-2008, 06:47 AM
The point is Shaun, is that how can you have an idea or opinion on something that you have no experience of?

I have had first hand experience of disciplining children, both on children that have lived with me, & on the receiving end as a child (I used to be one).

Children these days get very little punishment if they misbehave. Most have TVs in their rooms so sending them to bed early has no real value, unless you are prepared to remove the TV. So you tell them not to watch the TV either, & if they ignore that what then? You're not going to check on them every few minutes. Any punishment given for bad behaviour has to be effective in as much as the child won't want to do it again. A smacked bottom always worked on me.

How do you teach the consequences of lack of respect for people or property if there are no repercussions? How do you teach the difference between good & bad for that matter?

Your kids are well behaved Darren, what do you do? How did you instill the concept of good & bad behaviour & the consequences thereof?

rob1963
20-05-2008, 09:47 AM
Children these days get very little punishment if they misbehave. Most have TVs in their rooms so sending them to bed early has no real value, unless you are prepared to remove the TV. So you tell them not to watch the TV either, & if they ignore that what then? You're not going to check on them every few minutes. Any punishment given for bad behaviour has to be effective in as much as the child won't want to do it again. A smacked bottom always worked on me.

I couldn't agree more.

Discipline should come parents and schools.

Parents don't seem to WANT to discipline their kids these days, and schools aren't ALLOWED to. How ridiculous.

Solitaire Events Ltd
20-05-2008, 09:52 AM
I
Your kids are well behaved Darren, what do you do? How did you instill the concept of good & bad behaviour & the consequences thereof?

I communicate and explain why and how they should be doing things and the punishment if they do not.

They know I expect and will have certain standards of behaviour and yes, I probably do go on a bit at them, but it works.

People give up too easily IMO and a smack should be the last resort.

And yes, I used to smack my children, but came to realise that there are better ways of disciplining kids.

Use your head not your hand.

rob1963
20-05-2008, 09:58 AM
People give up too easily IMO and a smack should be the last resort.

And yes, I used to smack my children, but came to realise that there are better ways of disciplining kids.

If Super Nanny ever needs an assistant.....

Solitaire Events Ltd
20-05-2008, 09:59 AM

And yet another flippant comment on a subject you have an opinion on and yet have no experience to draw on.

Shaun
20-05-2008, 10:35 AM

When you have kids, your pre-conceived ideas go straight out of the window.

Maybe your pre-conceived ideas have gone out the window. That's not the case for everyone who has kids. I have lots of family and friends with children that have the same views as Steve and myself. Just because I don't have kids doesn't mean I don't have a firm grip on the reality of what's going wrong with today's youth. To suggest otherwise suggests that you have a slightly blinkered outlook on this matter. :)

Solitaire Events Ltd
20-05-2008, 11:22 AM
Maybe your pre-conceived ideas have gone out the window. That's not the case for everyone who has kids. I have lots of family and friends with children that have the same views as Steve and myself. Just because I don't have kids doesn't mean I don't have a firm grip on the reality of what's going wrong with today's youth. To suggest otherwise suggests that you have a slightly blinkered outlook on this matter. :)

I don't think so my friend.

This is a situation where you need hands on experience to judge the best course of action. I had a lot of ideas of how things should be done before I had kids and a lot of it changed.

Your replies are fairly standard for people who don't have their own children and just think that smacking is the answer. Why? No hands on experience. Would you start telling a DJ how he should be running a disco if you weren't one, just 'cos you've been to a few discos and clubs?

Don't forget that I also run a kids footy team, am a school governor and a trustee on a children's charity, so have lots of hands on (or off!) experience to draw on amd am not getting my opinions from looking at how others are bringing their kids up.

I agree that kids aren't so well behaved and there aren't so many deterrants but there are other ways to handle kids and you wouldn't find that out unless you are involved.

rob1963
20-05-2008, 11:31 AM

And yet another flippant comment on a subject you have an opinion on and yet have no experience to draw on.

I don't understand why you think I shouldn't be able to have an opinion on disciplining children just because I don't have children myself. That doesn't make sense.

I also haven't got in a car when I've been over the limit & run someone over. Does this mean I can't have an opinion of people who HAVE?

Almost without exception, at every wedding I do, there will be a number of small kids who are running around, sliding on the dance floor (often stopping only inches short of my gear), taking balloons and even going outside...and the parents obviously couldn't care less, as they just let them get on with it. When the kids are outside, the parents have no idea what they're doing, as they can't even SEE them!

I've spoken to quite a few people about this...some who have kids & some who don't, but all their opinions are still valid, as mine is.

Solitaire Events Ltd
20-05-2008, 11:34 AM
I don't understand why you think I shouldn't be able to have an opinion on disciplining children just because I don't have children myself. That doesn't make sense.

Of course it does.

If you ever have kids of your own you will understand.

Shaun
20-05-2008, 11:39 AM
I don't think so my friend.

This is a situation where you need hands on experience to judge the best course of action. I had a lot of ideas of how things should be done before I had kids and a lot of it changed.

Your replies are fairly standard for people who don't have their own children and just think that smacking is the answer. Why? No hands on experience.

I may not have children but I definitely have hands on experience, I ran a youth club for years. With all due respect Daz, your posts are coming across that unless you have kids you can't possibly make an informed decision. With all due respect my friend you're talking out your lower crevice.:D It looks like we'll have to agree to disagree. :D :beer1:

rob1963
20-05-2008, 11:41 AM
Of course it does.

If you ever have kids of your own you will understand.

Just to clarify, my point is not so much about the best way to discipline children...but more about the fact that kids don't seem to receive much discipline these days...REGARDLESS of what form that discipline takes.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one, but I'm with Steve & Shaun.

With all due respect Daz, your posts are coming across that unless you have kids you can't possibly make an informed decision. With all due respect my friend you're talking out your lower crevice.:D It looks like we'll have to agree to disagree. :D :beer1:

:agree:

Solitaire Events Ltd
20-05-2008, 11:51 AM
I may not have children but I definitely have hands on experience, I ran a youth club for years. With all due respect Daz, your posts are coming across that unless you have kids you can't possibly make an informed decision. With all due respect my friend you're talking out your lower crevice.:D It looks like we'll have to agree to disagree. :D :beer1:

No need for rudeness Shaun and yes, I believe unless you know the practicalities, then you can't comment on how others should be doing it.

So running a youth club gives you carte blanche on how you disciplined other people's children did it?

As far as I'm aware, a youth club is somewhere you go to play and meet, not to be disciplined by the leaders.

Solitaire Events Ltd
20-05-2008, 11:52 AM
Just to clarify, my point is not so much about the best way to discipline children...but more about the fact that kids don't seem to receive much discipline these days...REGARDLESS of what form that discipline takes.

I agree.

DJWayne
20-05-2008, 11:54 AM
Darren , Rob , Shaun get up to your room no internet or tv for the rest of the day :P

No seriously its a subject you will never agree on everyone has different opinions whether or not they have children is irrelevant to how they think whether their thinking changes when they do have children is also down to the individual. :)

Shaun
20-05-2008, 12:03 PM
No need for rudeness Shaun and yes, I believe unless you know the practicalities, then you can't comment on how others should be doing it.

So running a youth club gives you carte blanche on how you disciplined other people's children did it?

As far as I'm aware, a youth club is somewhere you go to play and meet, not to be disciplined by the leaders.

I wasn't being rude (not intentionally anyway), you should know me better than that by now. The only reason I brought up the youth club is because you brought up your footy team and school governing as an example of your hands on experience. My point was that you do not need to have children of your own to have experience with children.

I agree. :)

Solitaire Events Ltd
20-05-2008, 12:09 PM
I wasn't being rude (not intentionally anyway), you should know me better than that by now. The only reason I brought up the youth club is because you brought up your footy team and school governing as an example of your hands on experience. My point was that you do not need to have children of your own to have experience with children.

That is true, but the real proof of the pudding is either working with kids full time or having your own. Handing someone's kids back to them after a few hours is a lot different from having your own all the time. That is why I am saying the decision process is different because you are emotionally involved with your own kids.

But both the footy team and school are in a deprived area and with the school especially, we come across and have to deal with a lot of disciplinary problems from both parents and kids. This coupled with the fact that I do have kids of my own makes it easier to make an informed decision when it comes to these matters, not a decision that I have got from other people's kids or from the TV.

theoloyla
20-05-2008, 03:42 PM
Children's behaviour is in parity with adults behaviour. The lack of manners and respect shown by adults today compared with years ago is dreadful. It is therefore no surprise that their children are ill behaved. If you have well behaved children Darren they are a credit to you. Parenting lessons have been suggested by the authorities several times in the last few years. They are definately needed. Corporal punishment for children (and adults!) should not be the first recourse but it should definately be the ultimate option in my opinion but my views dont count do they as I dont have children I just have to suffer them.

Penfold42
20-05-2008, 03:49 PM
:agree:

I teach my children good manners at the table and how to behave in other peoples company but half the battle is with other children....if my kids see others do it then they too think it's acceptable to do it......I also put them right on that score with a quiet talking too....seems to do the trick.

:)

BeerFunk
20-05-2008, 05:25 PM
I think that an important factor, which hasn't really had much of a mention, is that all children are different. Some require little to no discipline, some require a heavy hand, and some perhaps require extra attention.

My Dad used to give me the belt, he made me sit for hours at the dinner table until I had eaten my dinner, and was very harsh on me. At times, I hated him, but in retrospect, I can see that it was always for my own good.

My youngest brother didn't respond to it though, and I'm not sure why. No matter how much he was punished, he just kept getting himself into trouble, and after he left school, he was unemployed, and had a spell where he was doing a lot of drugs. He's since straigtened himself out, but I suppose my point is that every child is different, and you can't treat them all the same. You can beat some kids up on a daily basis, and they will not respond, but rebel even further - so a different method is required.

rob1963
20-05-2008, 05:41 PM
I suppose my point is that every child is different, and you can't treat them all the same.

I'm not so sure about that.

If you've seen Jo Frost in that "Super Nanny" TV show, you'll know that she applies the same principles to all children of the families she goes to help (Naughty step, not shouting, explaining what they've done wrong etc).

BeerFunk
20-05-2008, 06:31 PM
I'm not so sure about that.

If you've seen Jo Frost in that "Super Nanny" TV show, you'll know that she applies the same principles to all children of the families she goes to help (Naughty step, not shouting, explaining what they've done wrong etc).Yeah but I'm not talking about TV, I'm talking about real life.

Her techniques probably do work on most children, but every family and background on that TV show is picked with TV ratings in mind.

Penfold42
20-05-2008, 06:43 PM
Also how much rubbish does everyone feed their kids....all those loverly 'e' numbers, blue dye and the like.....i've seen it in Milky Way.......

Someone gave him the latest "sport's" blue drink once....bounced around the dinning room like a rubber ball.....

At the end of the day it's down to parents to try and discipline their children and behaviour...but you have to let a child be a child at some point or they will rebel......:)

Shaun
20-05-2008, 07:05 PM
I'm still a firm believer in firm disciplining, children need to be taught respect and in some cases a 'clip round the ear' is needed. As a kid I once swung at my Dad, he swung back...I never swung at him again. As a kid I once swore at my dad and he force fed me a bar of soap...I never swore at him again. It may sound harsh but in hindsight it taught me respect.

That's the trouble with the 'bad' kids these days, they have no respect for their elders because they know that there's no comeback. All these stories of Teachers being stabbed or assaulted, or children carrying knives, we need to bring back the belt in the school, and allow parents to punish their children as they see fit. Those of us that were smacked as a form of punishment will usually tell you the same thing..."It never did us any harm", and it didn't. Beerfunk brings up a good point, different disciplining is needed for different children. I'm not saying all children need smacked because they don't. However, legally a parent should have the right to punish their children by whatever means they deem necessary.

I don't expect everyone to agree with me, but there ya go. :beer1:

Penfold42
20-05-2008, 07:09 PM
:agree:.......

As a kid I once swore at my dad and he force fed me a bar of soap...

You know what they say.......that's
http://twotoucan.com/images/Lifebouy.gif

TAXI............:D

Shaun
20-05-2008, 07:11 PM
Lmao!! :d

BeerFunk
20-05-2008, 07:56 PM
I'm still a firm believer in firm disciplining, children need to be taught respect and in some cases a 'clip round the ear' is needed. As a kid I once swung at my Dad, he swung back...I never swung at him again. As a kid I once swore at my dad and he force fed me a bar of soap...I never swore at him again. It may sound harsh but in hindsight it taught me respect.

That's the trouble with the 'bad' kids these days, they have no respect for their elders because they know that there's no comeback. All these stories of Teachers being stabbed or assaulted, or children carrying knives, we need to bring back the belt in the school, and allow parents to punish their children as they see fit. Those of us that were smacked as a form of punishment will usually tell you the same thing..."It never did us any harm", and it didn't. Beerfunk brings up a good point, different disciplining is needed for different children. I'm not saying all children need smacked because they don't. However, legally a parent should have the right to punish their children by whatever means they deem necessary.Very well put! :)

The problem lies in distinguishing between parents who are disciplining their children, and those simply abusing them.

sleah
20-05-2008, 09:17 PM
I'm guessing you don't have kids Simon?

LOL Correct:D

Bet not many adults do either:rolleyes: :sofa:

That's very harsh. The majority of people like kids, and appreciate that they won't sit down and behave, in fact - they expect them not to.
I do agree that as soon as they start climbing on things, or bothering other people - then the parents should step in.

Oh, don't get me wrong! I'm talking about missbehaving kids, such that have been mentioned that have not been taught respect.
I don't mind 'nice' kids at gigs, they can be fun and I don't mind when you get inquisitive ones who come and ask about the gear, provided they respect me and gear and shift if I ask, then great:)
See next reply.....
vvvvv

The bottom line is your kids are your responsibility no matter what the occaision if they are playing up you need to sort them out.

Thanks Wayne, that's the exact point I was making:)

I couldn't agree more
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: Rob, is that you? Rob James? Surely not, our Rob never agrees 'more':D :D :D :D

I'm not getting into a debate about how kids should be disciplined. As far as I'm concerened the kids should be brought up to respect others and need little or no discipline, in public at any rate.

rob1963
20-05-2008, 11:25 PM
If you've seen Jo Frost in that "Super Nanny" TV show, you'll know that she applies the same principles to all children of the families she goes to help (Naughty step, not shouting, explaining what they've done wrong etc).

Her techniques probably do work on most children, but every family and background on that TV show is picked with TV ratings in mind.

...and all the kids are completely different, the only connection being they are all very badly behaved...but Jo Frost's methods still work on ALL of them.

That's the trouble with the 'bad' kids these days, they have no respect for their elders because they know that there's no comeback. All these stories of Teachers being stabbed or assaulted, or children carrying knives, we need to bring back the belt in the school, and allow parents to punish their children as they see fit. Those of us that were smacked as a form of punishment will usually tell you the same thing..."It never did us any harm", and it didn't. Beerfunk brings up a good point, different disciplining is needed for different children. I'm not saying all children need smacked because they don't. However, legally a parent should have the right to punish their children by whatever means they deem necessary.

I don't expect everyone to agree with me, but there ya go. :beer1:

Shaun, I DO completely agree with you!

I don't need to have kids myself in order to form an opinion based on how I see parents deal with their kids when they play up...I just need common sense.

I see it all the time in my local supermarket and at gigs.

Kid misbehaves, parent says "Don't do that", kid carries on misbehaving, parent does nothing.

It's no wonder the kids carry on misbehaving when they know their parents will ask them to stop just once...and then say & do nothing else after that!

:bang:

Corabar Steve
21-05-2008, 07:43 AM

Now that's just vicious

rob1963
21-05-2008, 02:06 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: Rob, is that you? Rob James? Surely not, our Rob never agrees 'more':D :D :D :D

:Laugh:

BeerFunk
21-05-2008, 06:04 PM
...and all the kids are completely different, the only connection being they are all very badly behaved...but Jo Frost's methods still work on ALL of them.Yes, all the ones that not only made it onto film, but also the final cut for the TV. Remember, the show (which is what it is, isn't it?) would be pointless if she failed, so they're not going to show the bits that didn't work.

Solitaire Events Ltd
21-05-2008, 06:05 PM
Yes, all the ones that not only made it onto film, but also the final cut for the TV. Remember, the show (which is what it is, isn't it?) would be pointless if she failed, so they're not going to show the bits that didn't work.

Callum, you old cynic! :eek: :D

rob1963
21-05-2008, 09:46 PM
Callum, you old cynic! :eek: :D

Just what I was thinking!

Boogie Boy
27-05-2008, 03:59 PM
I couldn't agree more.

Discipline should come parents and schools.

Parents don't seem to WANT to discipline their kids these days, and schools aren't ALLOWED to. How ridiculous.

The truest words ever spoken. I shudder at the thought of doing weddings, because the kids are so badly behaved. It kinda makes me wonder if I'm being taken seriously by their parents and gets me VERY upset at times.

Another trouble nowadays is that every kid has parents who think they're offspring are little angels...Doh!!!

Solitaire Events Ltd
27-05-2008, 06:21 PM
Another trouble nowadays is that every kid has parents who think they're offspring are little angels...Doh!!!

Yeah, that really is true isn't it. :mad:

Let's tar everyone with the same brush even though there are no facts and figures to back it up.

Boogie Boy
27-05-2008, 09:09 PM
Yeah, that really is true isn't it. :mad:

Let's tar everyone with the same brush even though there are no facts and figures to back it up.

For once and for all...WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM?

Solitaire Events Ltd
28-05-2008, 09:30 AM
For once and for all...WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM?

I'll tell you.

I don't like people who come on here and spout complete rubbish.

Not every kid has parents who think they're offspring are little angels.

That is complete rubbish and you know it.

I really don't know why I bother to answer your ridiculous inflammatory posts.

soundtracker
28-05-2008, 09:48 AM
I find the majority of kids are no problem at all, much more interested in chasing gobos around the floor than anything else, also if you get the kids onside, which is quite easy with a few bribes-( glowsticks/inflatable guitars etc) very often you get the parents onside as well! It probably depends a lot on the market you are working in, if you do back-street pubs and social clubs, you're less likely to get the more polite kids.

Boogie Boy
28-05-2008, 11:00 AM
I'll tell you.

I don't like people who come on here and spout complete rubbish.

Not every kid has parents who think they're offspring are little angels.

That is complete rubbish and you know it.

I really don't know why I bother to answer your ridiculous inflammatory posts.

Then please don't in future. You'd be less stressed and I'd feel more welcome.

Corabar Steve
28-05-2008, 11:05 AM
You're really not learning are you?

Solitaire Events Ltd
28-05-2008, 11:12 AM
Then please don't in future. You'd be less stressed and I'd feel more welcome.

Stop making inflammatory comments then and you might fit in with the forum a bit more. Haven't you realised yet that people don't want someone who comes on and tries their hardest to upset everything and cause arguments.

Boogie Boy
28-05-2008, 12:54 PM
Stop making inflammatory comments then and you might fit in with the forum a bit more. Haven't you realised yet that people don't want someone who comes on and tries their hardest to upset everything and cause arguments.

POT...KETTLE....BLACK.

You really must have a low opinion of me to think that I come on here solely with the intent to try my hardest to cause arguments and upset everything! Most derogatory of you in fact, excessively assumptive and highly insulting. Who are these 'people' apart from the two of you?

I thought discussion was what these forums were all about. Discussions only turn into arguments when someone gets the hump, justifyably or not.;) Gotta say, you seem to be getting the hump on a regular basis (but, strangely with me, sometimes even when I post a most innocuous comment).

theoloyla
28-05-2008, 01:13 PM
Daz, all sorts of people make wild generalizations all the time. Why do Boogie Boy Steve's upset you so much. Just take them as tosh like I do and chill out.

Corabar Steve
28-05-2008, 01:27 PM
Who are these 'people' apart from the two of you?

People who have PMd Moderators & Admin to complain about you.

I won't name names, as Private Messages are just that, private.

Rest assured there have been quite a few.

Solitaire Events Ltd
28-05-2008, 03:30 PM
Daz, all sorts of people make wild generalizations all the time. Why do Boogie Boy Steve's upset you so much. Just take them as tosh like I do and chill out.

I am chilled Theo.

If I wasn't, I'd just delete his account and have done with it. ;)