PDA

View Full Version : Feedback destroyers

DJWayne
20-05-2008, 02:55 PM
Was wondering whether the karaoke side of things benefits from a feedback destroyer.

Have looked at the behringer ones for about £100 and thought it could be a good addition to those times where singer make your life difficult with their positioning and the way they hold the mic creating feedback.

Has anyone used one and if so what are the results like and are they worth the cash basically :)

UltraBeat Entertainment
20-05-2008, 04:01 PM
Have wondered the same thing also. Would also be great for other events like speeches, children's parties and other times when mic work is needed. I've often been put off by the price of these units but will wait to see what everyone else says about these units.

ppentertainments
20-05-2008, 05:22 PM
Not really reccomended for karaoke. How they work is they cut out certain frequencies that cause the feedback. However if a singer is using this frequency a lot then no sound is produced. You can adjust them manually but you get the same results. Personally, I find a bit moving about of speakers and volume / gain adjustments are the best - if not perfect - solutions.

HaiFai
20-05-2008, 10:43 PM
Not really reccomended for karaoke. How they work is they cut out certain frequencies that cause the feedback. However if a singer is using this frequency a lot then no sound is produced. You can adjust them manually but you get the same results. Personally, I find a bit moving about of speakers and volume / gain adjustments are the best - if not perfect - solutions.

I agree. also you can tweak trble mid and bass if you have on mic channels as feedback occurs.

sleah
20-05-2008, 10:50 PM
Best ways to help prevent feedback:

1) Decent quality mics. El cheapo jobs then don't read further just suffer:rolleyes:

2) Speaker positioning (relative to singers position.....obviously;) )

3) Don't have it so darn loud :D

4) A professional noise boy will tell you to use a parametric equalizer (something like that:D ), OK your lost now so get a standard 31 band equalizer and using it to try and 'notch' out the offending frequency that's feeding back. With 31 bands the sound loss won't be too bad, not enought to spoil karaoke anyway:p

5) Spare yourself and don't do karaoke.

I take option 5 every time:D

Seriously, option 4 IS the correct way, once you've done the first 3.

DJWayne
21-05-2008, 12:18 AM
Best ways to help prevent feedback:

4) A professional noise boy will tell you to use a parametric equalizer (something like that:D ), OK your lost now so get a standard 31 band equalizer and using it to try and 'notch' out the offending frequency that's feeding back. With 31 bands the sound loss won't be too bad, not enought to spoil karaoke anyway:p

Seriously, option 4 IS the correct way, once you've done the first 3.

This is basically what the behringer is supposed to be from what i have read just wanted to see if anyone else was using one the product description is FEEDBACK DESTROYER PRO FBQ2496
Ultra-Fast 24-bit/96 kHz Feedback Suppressor/Parametric EQ

so i am assuming thats what you mean in option 4 although this onje is automatic.

I may just have a try for £100 and if i dont like it chuck it on fleebay :)

Jiggles
21-05-2008, 12:28 AM
No DJ Bids :D

sleah
21-05-2008, 10:50 AM
This is basically what the behringer is supposed to be from what i have read just wanted to see if anyone else was using one the product description is FEEDBACK DESTROYER PRO FBQ2496
Ultra-Fast 24-bit/96 kHz Feedback Suppressor/Parametric EQ

so i am assuming thats what you mean in option 4 although this onje is automatic.

I may just have a try for £100 and if i dont like it chuck it on fleebay :)

Spot on Wayne:approve:

Professional noise boys tend not to use destroyers because they will never be as good as a trained human ear - besides, it gives them something to do:rolleyes:

A1DL
21-05-2008, 11:07 AM
Professional noise boys tend not to use destroyers because they will never be as good as a trained human ear - besides, it gives them something to do:rolleyes:

I've heard the Sabine units (£500+) are good.

Professional noise boys tend to stick gaffa over the "ear" logo if for whatever reason they have any bellringer in their outboard racks. :eek:

sleah
21-05-2008, 11:43 AM
I've heard the Sabine units (£500+) are good.

Professional noise boys tend to stick gaffa over the "ear" logo if for whatever reason they have any bellringer in their outboard racks. :eek:

LOL

and claim there was a mistake when the rack was sent out, and make it known they will be complaining bitterly when the gear is returned to the warehouse and that heads will roll :D:D

TonyB
22-05-2008, 02:47 PM
I got a Behringher FBQ3102.

Each slider for the frequency channels has little LED's. When you press the FBQ button in, the LED's for the frequencies that are causing the feedback with glow brighter when the feedback happens. You can then reduce the slider for the frequencies causing the problem.

Unless you have it connected for the mic's only then everything played through it will have the same EQ. It won't detect the feedback until it really "squeals" for the top end and bottom end rumble doesn't get detected at all.

It helps but is not a total solution.

nigelwright7557
11-06-2008, 12:18 AM
Was wondering whether the karaoke side of things benefits from a feedback destroyer.

Have looked at the behringer ones for about £100 and thought it could be a good addition to those times where singer make your life difficult with their positioning and the way they hold the mic creating feedback.

Has anyone used one and if so what are the results like and are they worth the cash basically :)

The trick with mikes is not to put them in front of or close to speakers.
I always have my speakers in front of me to reduce feedback.

If anyone asks to use the mike I always tell them to stay behind the speakers.

Cheap and nasty mikes will feedback before a good mic.

KaraokeDJ
16-07-2008, 10:42 AM
Morning everyone.
I asked this question about 6 months ago and the thread led me to consider my microphones and, subsequently, I bought some new SHURE mics. Not the mega expensive ones. And, sure enough, hardly any feedback at all now unless you have an extremely quiet singer (going to ask about this in another thread) when you need to up the gain as far as you can just to hear the voice, but, even then, feedback happens very rarely.

DJWayne
19-07-2008, 01:04 PM
The trick with mikes is not to put them in front of or close to speakers.
I always have my speakers in front of me to reduce feedback.

If anyone asks to use the mike I always tell them to stay behind the speakers.

Cheap and nasty mikes will feedback before a good mic.

When i use my own PA its not a problem as i set up with a view to where the singer will stand etc and dont get any feedback.

Unfortunately i do one venue that has its own PA where the speakers are not ideally placed for karaoke , basically wherever you stand there can be feedback issues and you have to be constantly alert and adjusting the singers mic to avoid it hence why i was considering a feedback destroyer as it would detect and react to the problem faster than i can.