PDA

View Full Version : idea on lighting

flatliners
21-05-2008, 11:44 PM
remember awhile back when i came up with an idea of a lightshow in a box well i was still thinking about it and made a drawing not sure if the drawing will come up on this thread
basically its a lightshow on a box that can be mounted on a pole or if you had a ultimax deck stand with the winch you could put one on each pole and do away with the over head bar.
everthing would be pre wired into the box and would have a removable front lid (lights and flightcase all in one)
on the back you would just plug in 1 iec lead and that would power all the lights in the box. on the back there would be dmx ports for control of lighting.
i think doing it this way would mean lighting would take up less space in your transport only have to carry 2 boxes into venue and more easy to set up
so 2 of these would equal 16 lighting effects if you count the dynatwins as 4 effects
would like to know what you think

Sam
21-05-2008, 11:46 PM
I wouldn't.. :)

Solitaire Events Ltd
22-05-2008, 12:02 AM
Don't understand, though I have had a beer or too....

dmckaraoke
22-05-2008, 12:39 AM
As cabinetmaker myself do you even imagine the size and the weight of that box......

Height 22"(560mm) min
depth 10"(255mm) min
width 26" (660mm)min

weight bloody heavy....

and you would have to leave even more room to position them

UltraBeat Entertainment
22-05-2008, 08:15 AM
Sorry but that seems such a bad idea:eek:

1. The box would be too heavy to lift onto stands
2. The box would be to big to offer the protection you need
3. You wouldn't be able to chose which effects you want on as it will be all or nothing.
4. There will be no way of positioning the laser which means it will be pointed directly at the crowd:eek: :eek: :eek: .
5. No air circulation = Overheating units
6.Box looks to cramped.

Hope this gives you a few reasons why i don't agree with your idea.

Vectis
22-05-2008, 08:18 AM
Why not just pre-mount and pre-wire two T-bars with 4 or 6 effects on each, then make a couple of long thin 'coffin' cases to carry them in?

Best of both worlds.

rob1963
22-05-2008, 08:26 AM
Why not just pre-mount and pre-wire two T-bars with 4 or 6 effects on each

Or even better, mount them on a pre-wired t-bar like I have with my 8 pinspots.

These bars come with mounting bolts already fitted and an iec socket for powering each effect (mine has 8). There is a bulgin output socket, so only need one cable to your lighting controller...easy!

:)

Vectis
22-05-2008, 08:31 AM
Well since I've gone for the Powerlite bar on my nice shiny new Ultimax stand, everything's prewired back to a single Bulgin input, DMX input and a couple of quarter inch jacks for patching through CA8s.

A much neater solution, although I have to admit it's not really saved any setup time as the stand itself takes longer to assemble than my old Giraffe.

Boogie Boy
22-05-2008, 08:33 AM
Why not just pre-mount and pre-wire two T-bars with 4 or 6 effects on each, then make a couple of long thin 'coffin' cases to carry them in?

Best of both worlds.

You mean people don't already do this?????? No wonder some guys around here take hours to set up.

spin mobile disco
22-05-2008, 09:35 AM
I think as Spudcooper said. The heat would be the killer. All lights like space around them for air cooling. Forced cooling is not so effetive as positional cooling (i.e being spread out with good airflow. ) Heat woulnt be a problem if you used all led type effects.

I find with a pre wired lighting loom most of my lighting is up very quickly and that can save plenty of time.

Most of the tme when you have to do a short notice booking they are jus pleased when you get audio on and can do lights while the music plays.

Tony Scott
22-05-2008, 06:12 PM
I like the time saving idea but think it might look a little messy.....sorry just my opinion! :o

To save time I have a wiring loom that has a switch unit at one end. This loom has DMX, CA8, Power & link cables for up to 8 effects on it, all on a 16amp connector.

Once the gantry, lights & mirroballs are up (about 8 minutes) it only takes 90 seconds to connect the whole lot up - including velcro straping to make it neat!
So less than 10 minutes for the gantry + 8 effects. I can live with that! :)

yourdj
23-05-2008, 01:29 AM
LED effects would work best as not hot and dont weigh much. not everyone agrees with lasers and especially strobes etc. im always getting that on my booking forms (NO STROBES) - t bar in flight case would be better.

Very good idea though, if i were you try it and prove everyone wrong. I would add extra fans/ventilation though or your whole lighting rig will go down mid set :)