PDA

View Full Version : What would You have Done??

Mayhem 1
24-05-2008, 11:07 AM
Hiya Folks,

On my second party yesterday I had finished and loaded ready to come home and I thought I would check the envelope that the mum had given me.

Upon opening it I discovered that they had over paid me by £50.00. :eek:

I went back into the house and got mum and dad together and said please count this which they did and they replied with “what is the problem?”

I pointed out on the hiring contract that they had already paid me a £50.00 deposit.

They thanked me for being so honest. ;) ;)

My question to you guys is this:-

Would you have done the same as I did or would you have thought to yourself ha ha their loss?

Corabar Steve
24-05-2008, 11:10 AM
When we handled cash jobs, I always counted the money in front of the punter. What would you have done if it was £50 light & how could you prove it if you opened it away from them?

Mayhem 1
24-05-2008, 11:12 AM
Good Afternoon Steve,

Good point mate but I can say that I have never had that problem crop up.

I shall take a leaf out of your book now though ;)

Corabar Steve
24-05-2008, 11:16 AM
Always best to count it in front of them. It's the only way to point out any discrepancies (either way).

The last time it happened in my favour, I was told "You keep it, I thought that was what I was paying & you did a good job"

rob1963
24-05-2008, 11:19 AM
When we handled cash jobs, I always counted the money in front of the punter. What would you have done if it was £50 light & how could you prove it if you opened it away from them?

Good point.

Some clients pay me cash on the night. I always open the envelope straight away and count the money while they are there.

soundtracker
24-05-2008, 11:20 AM
Good point.

Some clients pay me cash on the night. I always open the envelope straight away and count the money while they are there.

That's the banker in you Rob!

rob1963
24-05-2008, 11:23 AM
That's the banker in you Rob!

It certainly is!

:D

Solitaire Events Ltd
24-05-2008, 11:23 AM
When I got paid cash (can't remember that far back!) it happened to me a few times and I just handed back the difference to an appreciative client.

This also happened last year, where someone overpaid me £50 by cheque, so I rang and told them and sent them a cheque for the difference and they were very grateful.

Shakermaker Promotions
24-05-2008, 11:24 AM
I always do the same as Steve and count it out in front of them. It works two ways, IF they have overpaid and you make a point of it then they know you are honest but if they have overpaid on purpose to see what kind of person you are and you don't make a point of saying anything then they know the score straight away, although I can't see many people doing that so better to be safe.

On the other hand, if you don't count it and are missing some money then you have no way of getting it back unless there is some mis-communication somewhere and they thought they were giving you the correct amount in the first place. In this game, honesty always works.

Danno13
24-05-2008, 12:25 PM
I always count cash infront of the client too. Since i've started collecting payment 14 days in advance, I've had one couple do the same thing, and forget they've already paid a booking fee. With not enough time to send the cheque back and get a new one, I had to just bank it and send them back a cheque for the difference, which unfortunatley they cashed :D

Another time I collected cash at the start and they'd done the same thing, but said I could just keep it as it was a long day for me (2pm - 12am wedding..) and this was before I'd even started!

KrazyKaz
24-05-2008, 12:46 PM
I had someone overpay by £10, I gave her the £10, and she was appreciative of my honesty!

CRAZY K
24-05-2008, 01:24 PM
Hiya Folks,

On my second party yesterday I had finished and loaded ready to come home and I thought I would check the envelope that the mum had given me.

Upon opening it I discovered that they had over paid me by £50.00. :eek:

I went back into the house and got mum and dad together and said please count this which they did and they replied with “what is the problem?”

I pointed out on the hiring contract that they had already paid me a £50.00 deposit.

They thanked me for being so honest. ;) ;)

My question to you guys is this:-

Would you have done the same as I did or would you have thought to yourself ha ha their loss?

Yes thats happened---hand it back:cool:

I dont count cash--the sort of people I tend to deal with dont make those kind of mistakes.

Ive lost a fiver in 5 years that way--so musnt grumble:D

CRAZY K

Tom
24-05-2008, 01:27 PM
I have never had this problem so far. I always count the money in front of the client just to make sure all is correct.

I have been under paid but I alwasy take my booking form to my gigs so I can back myself up if they have a problem with this. So far they have paid up and said sorry as they handed some more money over to me. :D

Solitaire Events Ltd
24-05-2008, 01:39 PM
I dont count cash--the sort of people I tend to deal with dont make those kind of mistakes.

What sort of people do you deal with then? Everyone makes mistakes surely?

theoloyla
24-05-2008, 03:22 PM
You did the right thing. Honesty is the right policy. It has happened to me lots of times and like others have said the client often says keep it or they are very grateful for your honesty.

Andy Westcott
25-05-2008, 02:20 PM
Honesty is a must in this case.
Last year I was overpaid by a tenner, but as the client lived about 40 miles from me I sent her a cheque for the difference, and a letter explaining it.

She phoned me up when she received it, and told me she had destroyed the cheque, but thanks for my honesty.

Yes - count the cash in front of the client on receipt; You may feel slightly uncomfortable about doing this, but this way any mistakes can be sorted immediately. It's what I always do now.

CRAZY K
25-05-2008, 02:48 PM
What sort of people do you deal with then? Everyone makes mistakes surely?

Mainly professional, high net worth or smart people who can afford me--and wouldnt be in the position they are if they made those kind of basic mistakes.

Got cash last night--the best man said youd better check it --I said you look the sort of guy who can count--but if its short ill track you down and kill you:eek:

Ok ok its only a joke;) ;) ;) but I did say it.

Now the Ents manager at the British Legion might be different--

CRAZY K

Solitaire Events Ltd
25-05-2008, 02:51 PM
Mainly professional, high net worth or smart people who can afford me--and wouldnt be in the position they are if they made those kind of basic mistakes.

Sorry Alan, but that is complete rubbish!

You can't possibly say people don't make mistakes because they have a few bob!

Everyone makes mistakes whether they are high paid or low paid.

Tony Scott
25-05-2008, 03:18 PM
I did an Xmas Disco/karaoke for a local company. Instead of sending back their deposit of £50 the accounts dept. sent the full amount, not unusual with a company.

On the night of the gig the MD came over at the end of the night and tried to give me the full balance in cash. I explained I had been paid but he insisted I hadn't. I had to force it back on him, he thanked me for my honesty and gave me a £50 tip.

I have to admit I was tempted to take the lot but imagine the embaresment having to give it back! :o

CRAZY K
25-05-2008, 03:51 PM
Sorry Alan, but that is complete rubbish!

You can't possibly say people don't make mistakes because they have a few bob!

Everyone makes mistakes whether they are high paid or low paid.

I dont talk rubbish--just hard facts:rolleyes:

£5 IN 5 YEARS--

I rest my case.:D :D :D

CRAZY K

Penfold42
25-05-2008, 07:37 PM
I have to admit I was tempted to take the lot but imagine the embaresment having to give it back! :o

Nah, take the money and run.......:eek: :sofa:

:D :D :D

mldiscos
25-05-2008, 11:16 PM
most of the time i end up getting paid by punters they all insist by about (11.30) they will be far too :Censored: to pay me at all. so i count it discretely and then if it's ok fair dues, if it's light or heavy then speak to the one side and tell them.

summer sounds
26-05-2008, 06:48 AM
I would have put the £50 towards a litre of petrol :rolleyes:

dj smithy
30-05-2008, 04:28 PM
If someone did overpay you by £20 do you have a legal responsibllity to let them know?

Can't say ive ever come across this but been tipped a few times

theoloyla
31-05-2008, 04:35 PM
If someone did overpay you by £20 do you have a legal responsibllity to let them know?

Yes if you check the money and discover it.