PDA

View Full Version : Please slate my site!

yourdj
26-05-2008, 07:38 PM
Hi, i did my site in Feb and have not really changed it too much, but it needs some work.

I think it is:

- too waffly,
- too much info,
- spelling mistakes,
- all the pages look the same - i want the wedding page to be more feminine,
- the corporate page is not professional enough,
- the graphics take too long to load
- The FAQ is slangy.
- too impersonal

- blaa blaa blaa!

I would like to single out everything, make it more visitor friendly and to the point. My ideal clientele are people planning weddings and corporate clients.

POSITIVE critisism very much welcome,

but,

Also mention what is good about it :D so i don't change the good points to.

:)

http://www.yourdj.co.uk/

rob1963
26-05-2008, 08:31 PM
Hi there,

The main thing I noticed was the large amount of scrolling needed on most pages to get down to the bottom. Maybe you could remove some of the text/photos and/or reduce the font size and/or remove the black space between each line of text to reduce this?

Also, some pages have different sizes of text. It would probably look better if all the main text on each page was the same size.

On the FAQ page, the answers to the questiuons aren't very easy to read due to the poor contrast against the background. I think if the text was lighter or whiter it would be easier to read.

I would also add your heading with the mirrorball to the terms & conditions page, as it's on all the other pages, but not this one.

Hope this helps.

:)

thex-faders
26-05-2008, 09:36 PM
Hi there, it is definately an issue with the scrolling, especially on the main page. Almost like you have your whole site content on that first page. Maybe introduce some more pages, lighting, sound equipment, testimonials. As you have enough content to fill a page with an image also, may be a good idea to split them on to seperate pages.

Also on my monitor there is a great deal of space to the right of the page that is not being used. Your site is obviously made for smaller screen resolutions. i would recommend centering it all?? Make the black space even on either side?

Also i would recommend a banner at the top with your logo, as it takes up a great deal of space on each page. If it was above your menu on the left maybe?

The pictures you use are REALLY good and give off a good image. If you think they load slowly u can reduce the quality or use less image, insert a gallery for the rest of them?

Hope that helps

pagan_flame
26-05-2008, 09:49 PM
Fixed width pages using css... and then laid out in tables!

Keyword spamming!! Nested tags!!!

Or you may end

up with odd looking

paragraphs with big

spaces in between.

:rolleyes:

Scrollin' scrollin' scrollin', Scrollin' scrollin' scrollin', Scrollin' scrollin' scrollin'...

...no Back To Top button and tiny dark navigation links at the bottom of the page... less scrollin', more pages.

Lots of Yellow bold text --- (need these :cool: )

FAQ: "...Do you require a deposit?

Yes all mobile events listed on this website require a £50 deposit..."

Deposit? Booking Fee, you mean...;)

I'm scared by all that, I think I'll call that nice Firedance chap back, his site didn't say anything about taking me to court or cancelling if anything is wrong, or £25 extra for stairs at the venue...

Tony Scott
26-05-2008, 10:43 PM
I like the general look of the site, the graphic content, pictures etc. :approve:

I do however think 'text wise' it's very messy, there is information overload everywhere. Try to condense what you want to say, don't use 10 words if 6 will do, also put capital letters where they should be!

Example:

We can cover all forms of events which may include:
Conferences, product launches, car launches, exhibitions........

is far more coherent if written:

We can cater for any event:
Conferences, Product launches, Exhibitions.........

Keep the text on your site clear, relevent and coherent, it's much easier to read and won't put people off wanting to read more.

Finally.....spelling. Nothing shouts amateur louder than bad spelling!!!

These are only my opinions so tell me to F-off if you like.........but you did ask! :D

EDIT: Forgot to add that some of your testimonials seem a little bit made up??

yourdj
26-05-2008, 11:03 PM
Hi there,

The main thing I noticed was the large amount of scrolling needed on most pages to get down to the bottom.

Also, some pages have different sizes of text. It would probably look better if all the main text on each page was the same size.

On the FAQ page, the answers to the questiuons aren't very easy to read due to the poor contrast against the background. I think if the text was lighter or whiter it would be easier to read.

I would also add your heading with the mirrorball to the terms & conditions page, as it's on all the other pages, but not this one.

Thanks, very helpful :) scrolling - need less info, text - a problem as i use an online site builder and it is not easy to use, FAQ is rubbish - i used the FAQ page selection, i will do a normal page next time. Ta :)

Almost like you have your whole site content on that first page. Maybe introduce some more pages, lighting, sound equipment, testimonials.

Also on my monitor there is a great deal of space to the right of the page that is not being used. Your site is obviously made for smaller screen resolutions. i would recommend centering it all?? Make the black space even on either side?

Also i would recommend a banner at the top with your logo, as it takes up a great deal of space on each page. If it was above your menu on the left maybe?

The pictures you use are REALLY good and give off a good image. If you think they load slowly u can reduce the quality or use less image, insert a gallery for the rest of them?

Thanks, also very helpful:

opening text - I did not want to personalise it too much being an agency and all which is why i opted for not showing too much personal detail, monitor - i did it on a 12 inch laptop, is that the problem do you think? Banner - good idea just need to find out how to do it :p Thanks for the image pic comments, got galley links etc so will use them more Ta :)

Fixed width pages using css... and then laid out in tables!

Keyword spamming!! Nested tags!!!

Or you may end

up with odd looking

paragraphs with big

spaces in between.

:rolleyes:

Scrollin' scrollin' scrollin', Scrollin' scrollin' scrollin', Scrollin' scrollin' scrollin'...

Lots! Of! Exclamation! Marks!

Lots of Yellow bold text --- (need these :cool: )

FAQ: "...Do you require a deposit?

Yes all mobile events listed on this website require a £50 deposit..."

Deposit? Booking Fee, you mean...;)

I'm scared by all that, I think I'll call that nice Firedance chap back, his site didn't say anything about taking me to court or cancelling if anything is wrong, or £25 extra for stairs at the venue...

Thats for the help :D. Bit confusing but good points made (i think):

I use an online site builder and do not have your knowlege on website design so speak to me in english :)

Whats css?

Thanks for FAQ and T&C comments :)

yourdj
26-05-2008, 11:11 PM
'text wise' it's very messy, there is information overload everywhere. Try to condense what you want to say, don't use 10 words if 6 will do, also put capital letters where they should be!

These are only my opinions so tell me to F-off if you like.........but you did ask! :D

EDIT: Forgot to add that some of your testimonials seem a little bit made up??

Ta - Very useful so no f-offs from me :D

Text - yes very messy needs to be sorted. Actually your site is one on my best list :) (out of many hundreds i have looked at)

Spelling - Rubbish and i should have changed it sooner! my girlfriend is a teacher so no excuse :confused:

Testimonials - doing a section with scans of actual testimonials on next site. I want to do a DJ section too with bios etc so people know who they are going to get etc. What do you think?

;)

Tony Scott
26-05-2008, 11:32 PM
Ta - Very useful so no f-offs from me :D

Text - yes very messy needs to be sorted. Actually your site is one on my best list :) (out of many hundreds i have looked at)

Spelling - Rubbish and i should have changed it sooner! my girlfriend is a teacher so no excuse :confused:

Testimonials - doing a section with scans of actual testimonials on next site. I want to do a DJ section too with bios etc so people know who they are going to get etc. What do you think?

;)

Lol, my wife has an english degree so has knocked my spelling into shape, I was awful before she sorted me out!

Sorry if I was a bit harsh but I feel it's better to be frank. :)

Shaun
27-05-2008, 12:36 AM
I really like the overall look and feel of the site. Aesthetically I found it was very pleasing to the eye. Nice job on the design.

soundtracker
27-05-2008, 07:34 AM

So you may want to change the heading on your CIVIL Partnership page:)

Tony Scott
27-05-2008, 07:40 AM
So you may want to change the heading on your CIVIL Partnership page:)

No way, I only updated that yesterday.....thanks! :o :o :o :)

EDIT: Sorted......how small do I feel?

Marc J
27-05-2008, 07:44 AM
The wrapping of the main text is hard-coded with a lot of unnecessary code, making it wrap differently in Firefox and IE (looks OK in Firefox, wraps all wrong in IE). Make your text blocks one piece of text each so that it wraps correctly.

For example: -

We always make sure </span></span></span></p><p class="MsoNormal"><span class="Apple-style-span" style="color: rgb(153, 153, 153); "><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-size: small;"><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-weight: normal;">that the DJ we supply...

All the bold red stuff can be removed, in a lot of lines!

It's very untidy coding but I guess thats due to the website builder you're using so there isn't much you can do about that :(

There's a lot of scrolling (too much, in my opinion). Additionally there's a lot of wasted space at larger resolutions, if you made the pages use all (or most) of the browser's width then the text would flow to the width available, making the pages shorter, so 2 problems solved in 1 :)

I also noticed the keyword spamming - you might want to have a look at that. There are a lot of duplicates, too. There is also text in graphics (yellow at the top of the page) which would be better as text from an SEO point of view...

soundtracker
27-05-2008, 08:32 AM
No way, I only updated that yesterday.....thanks! :o :o :o :)

EDIT: Sorted......how small do I feel?

Your welcome - better that it was me that spotted it:)

yourdj
04-06-2008, 11:59 AM
Lol, my wife has an english degree so has knocked my spelling into shape, I was awful before she sorted me out!

Sorry if I was a bit harsh but I feel it's better to be frank. :)

No probs. My girlfriend is a teacher so will give her a copy first.

I really like the overall look and feel of the site. Aesthetically I found it was very pleasing to the eye. Nice job on the design.

Im ready to start on the new site layout from today - so if anyone has any other comments then im all ears ;)

Shaun
04-06-2008, 12:19 PM
Please slate my site!

:ph34r:

Solitaire Events Ltd
04-06-2008, 12:20 PM
Lmao!!!!!!!!!!!

rob1963
04-06-2008, 12:34 PM

...and people think I'M bad!

:doh:

Dragonfly
04-06-2008, 12:49 PM
nice one Shaun very funny indeed .... when i read the title of the thread i did consider just posting ...."your sites crap" but thought i might get told off and those who don't know my sense of humour may take offence and not realise i was just responding to the request :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Shaun
04-06-2008, 12:51 PM
when i read the title of the thread i did consider just posting ...."your sites crap" but thought i might get told off and those who don't know my sense of humour may take offence and not realise i was just responding to the request :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

LOL :D :D

Vectis
04-06-2008, 12:58 PM
nice one Shaun very funny indeed .... when i read the title of the thread i did consider just posting ...."your sites crap" but thought i might get told off and those who don't know my sense of humour may take offence and not realise i was just responding to the request :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Chortle :D

"Can someone call me a cab?"

"OK - you're a cab!"

:beer1:

Classics are always the best...

Penfold42
04-06-2008, 01:46 PM
...."your sites crap"

Was going to say that myself...:D ...but thought better of it. :)

OK too much scrolling for me....:)

yourdj
04-06-2008, 07:14 PM

Compare the two :confused:

LOL (I think)! ;)

The wrapping of the main text is hard-coded with a lot of unnecessary code, making it wrap differently in Firefox and IE (looks OK in Firefox, wraps all wrong in IE). Make your text blocks one piece of text each so that it wraps correctly.

For example: -

We always make sure </span></span></span></p><p class="MsoNormal"><span class="Apple-style-span" style="color: rgb(153, 153, 153); "><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-size: small;"><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-weight: normal;">that the DJ we supply...

All the bold red stuff can be removed, in a lot of lines!

It's very untidy coding but I guess thats due to the website builder you're using so there isn't much you can do about that :(

There's a lot of scrolling (too much, in my opinion). Additionally there's a lot of wasted space at larger resolutions, if you made the pages use all (or most) of the browser's width then the text would flow to the width available, making the pages shorter, so 2 problems solved in 1 :)

I also noticed the keyword spamming - you might want to have a look at that. There are a lot of duplicates, too. There is also text in graphics (yellow at the top of the page) which would be better as text from an SEO point of view...

THANK YOU - A VERY USEFUL POST :D

I do have access to the code on the site builder. what do i have to do? as it is very confusing.

Finding the point to add the external code from google video took ages! i ended up putting capitals AAA in the edit bit, logging out and then the right space was visible to me so i could paste in the html code. crude i know but it was the easiest way.

I'm not an internet expert as you can see but i think aesthetically my site is better than allot out there :confused:, although the content is cluttered and the grammar is a bit crap.

I did the site in a rush earlier this year and am changing it this week :D

Less scrolling, better grammar/spelling, no kw spamming, FAQ easier to read, less harsh terms & conditions:

Anything else? Ta

Shaun
04-06-2008, 07:21 PM
Compare the two :confused:

See anything different about your site on the image I posted?

LESS TEXT, NO SPAMMING, BETTER GRAMMAR, THE WEDDING ETC.

You forgot OPTIONAL SLATES. :ph34r:

yourdj
04-06-2008, 07:26 PM
See anything different about your site on the image I posted?

You forgot OPTIONAL SLATES. :ph34r:

Oh, sorry im a bit slow :D LOL

Solitaire Events Ltd
04-06-2008, 07:32 PM
.....a bit? :sj:

Shaun
04-06-2008, 07:32 PM
Oh, sorry im a bit slow :D LOL

:D :ph34r: :D

Danno13
04-06-2008, 07:49 PM
The top middle photo on your homepage...

Thats the photo on this months Pro Mobile is it not?

Its also on here.. http://www.djformywedding.co.uk/ (run by the same company as Pro Mobile)

Just being nosey and wondered what the connection is? :)

Solitaire Events Ltd
04-06-2008, 07:50 PM

Its also on here.. http://www.djformywedding.co.uk/ (run by the same company as Pro Mobile)

And the top right is me and the wife of an evening out....:D

yourdj
04-06-2008, 08:24 PM

Just being nosey and wondered what the connection is? :)

Well spotted :) The answer is I-STOCK.

http://www.istockphoto.com/file_closeup/where/locations/architecture/2013770_disco_booth.php?id=2013770

Pro mobile used it too (multi use license etc.)

When i set up Your DJ all the photos had my old banner on so i used that instead. I have got rid of that now as i have loads of my own ;) as of next week.