PDA

View Full Version : Everything matters

Solitaire Events Ltd
26-05-2008, 07:50 PM
I think that everything adds up to make you and your company and a better DJ.

From the way you answer the phone, reply to emails, act around clients, the way you dress, the equipment you use, microphone technique, music choice and knowledge, mixing skills (beat or fading) and the way you present your equipment.

To me, everything adds up to making you better than the next man, so why do some people think it's OK to use sub standard lighting that 'does the job' or not to mix or fade the songs properly? Why do some people think it's OK to wear a T shirt for a wedding? Why do some people admit to not being very good on the mic?

I'm just wondering why some things get prioritised by some people more than others?

Doesn't everything matter?

rob1963
26-05-2008, 07:58 PM

From the way you answer the phone, reply to emails, act around clients, the way you dress, the equipment you use, microphone technique, music choice and knowledge, mixing skills (beat or fading) and the way you present your equipment.

To me, everything adds up to making you better than the next man, so why do some people think it's OK to use sub standard lighting that 'does the job' or not to mix or fade the songs properly? Why do some people think it's OK to wear a T shirt for a wedding? Why do some people admit to not being very good on the mic?

I'm just wondering why some things get prioritised by some people more than others?

I agree that everything matters, but we are all different people with different ways of doing things, different ideas, different markets and therefore different priorities.

I admire people who admit to not being very good on the mic, because they are simply being honest.

You mentioned sub-standard lighting, but what is that? It will be completely different things to different people.

If we're honest, we ALL have some aspects of the job we're good at and others we're not so good at.

DJWilson
26-05-2008, 08:04 PM
I must admit I'm not very good on the mic/dont like using it but I have to as its part of my job.

Your right that everthing think matters, if its a teenage party etc ill wear a T-Shirt with company contact info on it but if its a wedding etc ill wear a smart shirt nd *cough* jeans.

Excalibur
26-05-2008, 08:06 PM

While your argument and sentiments are totally valid and laudable, I wonder if everyone is capable of excelling in EVERY department? Also, each gig and crowd is different, so requires a different approach. In my very humble opinion, as long as the minimum standards are achieved ( those being of course customer satisfaction, and a happy DJ ) then the raising of those standards may be seen as a bonus. ( Please note, there is a difference between advocating mediocrity and accepting reality. I myself have stated more than once that many aspects of my Disco have altered for the better since coming on here)

rob1963
26-05-2008, 08:12 PM
While your argument and sentiments are totally valid and laudable, I wonder if everyone is capable of excelling in EVERY department?

In a word, No...not in ANY job/occupation/profession

In my very humble opinion, as long as the minimum standards are achieved (those being of course customer satisfaction, and a happy DJ) then the raising of those standards may be seen as a bonus.

The problem is that because we're all different, we will all have a different definition of "minimum standards"

wensleydale
26-05-2008, 08:23 PM
i do think some things matter more than others though, however the importance of each is subjective- i think that is clear from the debates on the forum.

most people do things a certain way as they believe that is the best way.
sometimes other disagree.

Shakermaker Promotions
26-05-2008, 08:24 PM
I totally agree with Darren to be honest. If we are to be known or act as professionals at what we do and more importantly, if we do it as a full time job then IF there are aspects of the job such as mic or mixing techniques that we aren't so great at...I think we should try as hard as possible to make sure that we get up to scratch on them to a level that is high enough to be happy with.

When I started as a business 3 years ago I can now see that I was lacking in some of the instances that Darren mentioned. Those instances were on the equipment side because I went about it the wrong way. I bought 3 Disco setups that were all good enough quality to get me going but I thought that the work would start pouring in and I would have all 3 rigs out straight away. It didn't work like that so a few months back I sold a whole set up and with the money, I improved the 2 remaining ones. It's only lately that I am totally happy with what I have so the equipment side is covered.

My beat mixing could be improved and I am well aware of that but I think I am good enough to get away with it. I am confident in my mic work and I am more than confident, although not ****y with it, with my customer service skills.

As I said, I totally agree that everything matters... I think it's common sense in reality. Turning up to a wedding in jeans and a t-shirt does not even show on my radar. First impressions count unfortunately...it's life.

Excalibur
26-05-2008, 08:26 PM
The problem is that because we're all different, we will all have a different definition of "minimum standards"

Not in the case of customer satisfaction surely? :confused: :confused:
As for a happy DJ, for some of us it's not being electrocuted, and making it to tyhe end with all speakers intact.;)

Solitaire Events Ltd
26-05-2008, 08:27 PM
See this is where I think our industry loses it's credibility as we as an industry accept minimum standards and think that is OK.

Personally, anything I am not good at, I practise and try and improve. I am not saying that I or my company is brilliant in every aspect, but that we have a good level of standard practices.

I only started this thread after reading about another DJ who said he'd been DJing for 29 years and had never beat mixed. Never needed it and never tried. To me this is very closed minded. No, it probably won't earn you any more money, but it is another string to your bow and could mean slightly more continuity on the dance floor so why not?

Shakermaker Promotions
26-05-2008, 08:34 PM
Once again, I agree totally. It can open up more avenues too.
Maybe some people are forgetting (and how could you??) about the way the 'Mobile DJ' is, or has been, perceived.

Being good with customers, presentable, good on the mic, having good reliable equipment and being able to mix when needed blows their perceptions out of the water. I would say that 9 times out of 10 when I go on the road and do a private function, I feel like I have something to prove, a reason to show the people out there with their pre-conceived ideas about what we are going to be like (Peter Kay stylee), that not all of us are like that. I am sure it's not just me that thinks like this.

Excalibur
26-05-2008, 08:35 PM
See this is where I think our industry loses it's credibility as we as an industry accept minimum standards and think that is OK.

Personally, anything I am not good at, I practise and try and improve. I am not saying that I or my company is brilliant in every aspect, but that we have a good level of standard practices.

I only started this thread after reading about another DJ who said he'd been DJing for 29 years and had never beat mixed. Never needed it and never tried. To me this is very closed minded. No, it probably won't earn you any more money, but it is another string to your bow and could mean slightly more continuity on the dance floor so why not?

We're heading deep into semantics here, there is a big difference between setting minimum standards as a base level or a target!

DJWilson
26-05-2008, 08:40 PM
Always try and do your best, thats my motto. If one aspect of your service isnt no where near as good as the rest try and impprove them to make you cover up the bad patches and still try different techniques on your weak points to improve and watch other DJ's that are good at the skills your not.

rob1963
26-05-2008, 08:42 PM

Not in the case of customer satisfaction surely? :confused: :confused:

The problem is that all clients will have different minimum standards too.

I'm sure that if the function wasn't a wedding, some wouldn't mind if you turned up in a t shirt & jeans.

However, at the other and of the scale, I once had a letter of complaint from someone due to the fact that I played one song which not many people were dancing to!

I only started this thread after reading about another DJ who said he'd been DJing for 29 years and had never beat mixed. Never needed it and never tried. To me this is very closed minded.

That's because we are all different people with different ideas & different priorities. Niether the non-beat mixing DJ nor yourself are right or wrong, just diffrerent people with different ideas.

I don't do kids parties or 18th birthday parties...many people would say this makes ME closed minded, although many would not.

Solitaire Events Ltd
26-05-2008, 08:46 PM
I would say that 9 times out of 10 when I go on the road and do a private function, I feel like I have something to prove, a reason to show the people out there with their pre-conceived ideas about what we are going to be like (Peter Kay stylee), that not all of us are like that. I am sure it's not just me that thinks like this.

No, I do too.

Unfortunately, there aren't enough of us around!

I think generally, people who are interested enough to participate on forums will have the correct view within their chosen market.

rob1963
26-05-2008, 09:03 PM
I think generally, people who are interested enough to participate on forums will have the correct view within their chosen market.

And the more posts they do, the better that correct view will be!

:rolleyes: :D :D

Excalibur
26-05-2008, 09:09 PM
Rob, customers are either satisfied, or they're not! If they're not, then you have work to do. ( I am bound to admit that playing one song which cleared the floor does not seem to be a hanging offence. ) ;) :D

rob1963
26-05-2008, 09:19 PM
Rob, customers are either satisfied, or they're not! If they're not, then you have work to do. ( I am bound to admit that playing one song which cleared the floor does not seem to be a hanging offence. ) ;) :D

Firstly, I didn't play one song which cleared the floor, it was just that not many people were dancing to it.

Secondly, we all set our own different priorities & minimum standards, and I like to think that every client leaves my gigs with a better opinion of mobile discos than before I arrived.

BeerFunk
26-05-2008, 09:47 PM
The difference between this and other trades is that there are no training courses or apprenticeships as such. Most DJs won't even know where they're going wrong until they are either told, or see another DJ doing what they should be doing.

That's because we are all different people with different ideas & different priorities. Niether the non-beat mixing DJ nor yourself are right or wrong, just diffrerent people with different ideas.I can't agree with that. I think a basic grasp of beat mixing is a skill which all mobile DJs should have. I'm not talking about Pete Tong style mixing - I mean just mixing two tracks together over 8 or 16 beats.

Simply slowly fading from one track to another, with no coordination, is wholly unacceptable in my book.

I must admit I'm not very good on the mic/dont like using it but I have to as its part of my job.And have you practiced it in your own time? I used to do that, at first I was a little embarrassed with myself for actually doing it, and was worried that someone would catch me doing it - but I knew I had to do it to get myself to an acceptable standard to use the mic at someone's function.

but if its a wedding etc ill wear a smart shirt nd *cough* jeans.:eek:

As Rob mentions, that might be perfectly OK for some people, but personally I would be disappointed if the DJ I booked for my wedding turned up in jeans.

While your argument and sentiments are totally valid and laudable, I wonder if everyone is capable of excelling in EVERY department?I don't think you have to excel, you only have to reach a certain standard.

Solitaire Events Ltd
26-05-2008, 09:51 PM
Simply slowly fading from one track to another, with no coordination, is wholly unacceptable in my book.

I'm not sure about that. It isn't possible to mix everything, is it?

I don't think you have to excel, you only have to reach a certain standard.

Agreed.

rob1963
26-05-2008, 09:59 PM
Most DJs won't even know where they're going wrong until they are either told, or see another DJ doing what they should be doing.

I disagree.

I think most DJs have a pretty good idea of their strengths & weaknesses.

In that case, I'm a wholly unacceptable DJ.

However, I haven't received a justified complaint in almost 25 years.

In addition, I make a good living from the business...and before you say I also do quiz nights, I could give those up tomorrow & STILL live very comfortably on my disco earnings, so although YOU think I'm wholly unacceptable as a DJ, I do well enough not to need a daytime job (unlike many), so I must be doing SOMETHING right!

:D

BeerFunk
26-05-2008, 10:06 PM
I'm not sure about that. It isn't possible to mix everything, is it?Not mix, but a timed and controlled fade - not just randomly.

For example, most tracks have sections of 16 or 32 beats. So you bring in the first beat of the new track exactly on the first beat of a 16/32 beat section, of the track you're fading out :confused: :)

This way, there may be a bit of a sudden change in tempo (not too drastic if you've chosen well), but the beat is still continuous.

If you just randomly fade from one track to another without even listening to what you're doing, then people will stop dancing and pause, whilst listening to see which track is coming on.

I'd say these are very simple mixing skills, but I'm amazed at the amount of DJs who don't even do this.

In that case, I'm a wholly unacceptable DJ.

However, I haven't received a justified complaint in almost 25 years.

In addition, I make a good living from the business...and before you say I also do quiz nights, I could give those up tomorrow & STILL live very comfortably on my disco earnings, so although YOU think I'm wholly unacceptable as a DJ, I do well enough not to need a daytime job (unlike many), so I must be doing SOMETHING right!

:DYou won't receive a complaint about that Rob, as it's not something that is obvious to people, although they will be aware of it.

You obviously must be doing something right, and I don't want to get into personal details, as it's not appropriate.

The question is - where is the benchmark that you use, or I use - or any mobile disco in the UK uses? And who sets the standard for it?

gaza
27-05-2008, 12:59 AM
I must admit I'm not very good on the mic/dont like using it but I have to as its part of my job.

Your right that everthing think matters, if its a teenage party etc ill wear a T-Shirt with company contact info on it but if its a wedding etc ill wear a smart shirt nd *cough* jeans.

I insist on my 12 year old son wearing a smart shirt and smart black trousers. when we have a Wedding to do.

rob1963
27-05-2008, 01:38 AM
You won't receive a complaint about that Rob, as it's not something that is obvious to people, although they will be aware of it.

If there is something you won't receive complaints about & it's not something that's obvious to people, I'd say that puts it pretty low on the list of priorities, wouldn't you?

You obviously must be doing something right, and I don't want to get into personal details, as it's not appropriate.

Yes - let's leave my personal details out of this! :eek:

The question is - where is the benchmark that you use, or I use - or any mobile disco in the UK uses? And who sets the standard for it?

The benchmark we all use is set by us individually.

I have always treated others the way I wish them to treat ME, so I base my benchmark for standards & service levels on what I would want to receive if I was the customer.

There are plenty of people on this forum who are better DJs than me, have much more music than me & better equipment...but I know for a fact there are some aspects of what I do in MY business which are better than the way THEY do things. If I mentioned it to them, they would probably agree with me, but go on to say that the way THEY do it is still totally acceptable and well above the minumum standards.

As I've already said, we all set our own standards using our own methods, and if that wasn't complicated enough, all clients will also have different standards & levels of expectations.

The bottom line is that there's no right or wrong, but if we treat others the way WE want to be treated & always do things to the best of our ability, then I don't think we can go too far wrong.

Solitaire Events Ltd
27-05-2008, 09:25 AM
I personallly can't believe that music, the very thing that people make their money from is so low on a priority list, in terms of the way it is cued and mixed.

rob1963
27-05-2008, 09:42 AM
I personally can't believe that music, the very thing that people make their money from is so low on a priority list, in terms of the way it is cued and mixed.

If we could give clients a sheet detailing every single aspect of what we do & how we operate, and asked them to give each one an importance rating from 1 to 10, I'd be interested to see what rating they gave to "DJ listening to each song in his headphones before playing it" and "DJ beat mixing all songs"

Solitaire Events Ltd
27-05-2008, 09:49 AM
If we could give clients a sheet detailing every single aspect of what we do & how we operate, and asked them to give each one an importance rating from 1 to 10, I'd be interested to see what rating they gave to "DJ listening to each song in his headphones before playing it" and "DJ beat mixing all songs"

And turned round the other way, I'd like to see how any clients would like to hear really bad mixing, 2 songs playing at once and gaps in the proceedings.

Shakermaker Promotions
27-05-2008, 09:50 AM
I look at it like this.
If I am doing a night somewhere and I do a dancey set at some point in the evening, I will TRY my best to mix the tracks togeather. Sometimes I get it right, sometimes I get it slightly off but then I use my mic skills. Sometimes I don't have the time to get the stuff out of the lock up and practice but as I do it more at each gig, I get better at it. I think everyone should at least give it a try. Ok, not all of us are into beat matching etc but I personally think it is quite exciting trying and even better when it comes off when you have succeeded.

rob1963
27-05-2008, 10:25 AM
And turned round the other way, I'd like to see how any clients would like to hear really bad mixing, 2 songs playing at once and gaps in the proceedings.

Presumably not many, which is why I don't do really bad mixing, have 2 songs playing at once or have gaps in the proceedings.

:)

Andy Westcott
27-05-2008, 12:12 PM
But for the average gig - a wedding, say, who really cares if there's a bit of an overlap between songs?

You are looking at a couple of seconds transition compared to 3 or 4 minutes of a track they love. (Hopefully!)

A track which fades out is difficult to merge into the next track, especially if the tempo/genre is different, although sudden endings (when you get them) are a treat as you can start the first beat of the new song right where the last ended, most of the time, for example if you are playing Boney M's 'Gotta Go Home' followed by B52's 'Love Shack'. For those fairly new to this, dig out those tracks and have a mess about. :)

Sam
27-05-2008, 12:18 PM
As Rob mentions, that might be perfectly OK for some people, but personally I would be disappointed if the DJ I booked for my wedding turned up in jeans.

Could not agree more.
Sort it out :)

rob1963
27-05-2008, 12:39 PM
I didn't suggest a DJ should turn up for a wedding in jeans.

I suggested that some people might not mind if the DJ wore jeans for some OTHER occasions.

Vectis
27-05-2008, 12:44 PM
I didn't suggest a DJ should turn up for a wedding in jeans.

I suggested that some people might not mind if the DJ wore jeans for some OTHER occasions.

We always ask Bs & Gs / clients what they'd prefer us to wear, offering them the full works, shirt & tie, smart-casual or casual. Or even fancy dress :o You'd be surprised how many are thoughtful and suggest smart-casual 'because it must be hotter than hell back there' etc.. I usually talk them up a notch but have been pleasantly surprised a few times over the years when I've been told to wear casual gear because that's what the rest of the guests have been told. Thinking about it, this usually happens at venues such as yacht clubs and other sport related buildings.

Then we get there and realise 'casual' = 'Helly Hansen' not 'George' :) :) :) (just kidding ;) )

Solitaire Events Ltd
27-05-2008, 12:49 PM
But for the average gig - a wedding, say, who really cares if there's a bit of an overlap between songs?

Sorry Andy, but there's no excuse for that.

A gap between songs means you need to practise your mixing, fading or whatever you want to call it. Otherwise you may as well break out the Ipod as it would seem pointless in having 2 decks.

Sam
27-05-2008, 01:29 PM
yes but when most people say casual for a wedding.. I would presume they are more thinking along the lines of Smasual (Smart Casual).

I normally, unless otherwise asked, wear smart black trousers and a smart black shirt - I think turning up in jeans just looks unprofessional - although the fact that some members do it doesn't surprise me one bit.

Also I totally agree with Darren. What is the point in have two decks if you leave a pause? A DJ that was playing at a wedding that I attended recently left massive pauses... and to top it off he was the most ****iest person i've ever met (and that is saying something ;) ) and also the lighting was awful. He used 6 minimacs... but they were on a ledge at knee height right on the edge of the dance floor = = NO light reached anywhere as it was blocked by the people = basically a dark room.

Yes.. I think to some point you do not have to be a perfect mixer.. but I think that you should still at least try to choose songs that will flow nicely and that you actually try to carry one on from the other... otherwise the momentum stops after every song.

gaza
27-05-2008, 01:33 PM

A gap between songs means you need to practise your mixing, fading or whatever you want to call it. Otherwise you may as well break out the Ipod as it would seem pointless in having 2 decks.

How can you have a gap between songs, this is the first thing a DJ should have learnt not to do.:eek:

rob1963
27-05-2008, 01:38 PM
Also I totally agree with Darren. What is the point in have two decks if you leave a pause?

None at all, from what I can tell.

A DJ that was playing at a wedding that I attended recently left massive pauses

He was clearly a rubbish DJ!

If a song I'm playing has an actual ending, I start the next song straight away, so there is no gap but no overlap either.

If, as in most cases, the song fades out, I wait until it starts to fade out, then I start the next song, so there is no gap, and a slight overlap of a second or two.

This way of working has always suited me fine.

Sam
27-05-2008, 01:43 PM
Yeh,
And I think for things like a wedding disco.. im my mind.. that is adequate. (spelling?!?!).

But I always preview the music... and say with wham - clup tropican - skip the 40 seconds or so of nothing! :D

My worst mistake while DJing has been turning the volume down on the active deck.. whilst thinking it was the non active deck..... haha!

rob1963
27-05-2008, 01:58 PM
But I always preview the music... and say with wham - clup tropican - skip the 40 seconds or so of nothing! :D

I don't even listen to the beginning of Club Tropicana. I just start it 35 seconds before the previous track ends, then fade it in as the other track starts fading out.

My worst mistake while DJing has been turning the volume down on the active deck.. whilst thinking it was the non active deck..... haha!

I've done worse than that, including pressing the play button on the deck that's already playing rather than the other deck I WANT to start, resulting in the track that was playing pausing!

I've also put in a CD a few times, then got distracted by someone asking for a request or something, and then forgotton to cue the CD on the track I want, resulting me on playing track 1...whatever that happens to be.

All good fun!

BeerFunk
27-05-2008, 05:08 PM
Presumably not many, which is why I don't do really bad mixing, have 2 songs playing at once or have gaps in the proceedings.

I don't even listen to the beginning of Club Tropicana. I just start it 35 seconds before the previous track ends, then fade it in as the other track starts fading out.:whistle:

I think you might actually be trying to wind me up on this one, but I've taken the bait regardless.

Why don't you just cue it at where you want to bring it in, rather than just guessing?

Shaun
27-05-2008, 05:10 PM

I couldn't agree more. All the little attentions to details all add up.

rob1963
27-05-2008, 05:21 PM
I think you might actually be trying to wind me up on this one, but I've taken the bait regardless.

Why don't you just cue it at where you want to bring it in, rather than just guessing?

Beerfunk,

I can assure you I was not trying to wind you up, I was just giving my completely honest opinions...as I always do!

The reason I don't listen to Club Tropicana in the headphones & cue it where I want it to start is simply because I don't feel the need to do so.

I've played it enough times to know that I can just start it 35 seconds before the previous track ends, then fade it up after 35 seconds & it will start where I want it to.

Vectis
27-05-2008, 05:27 PM
Club Tropicana

Blimey... do people still dance to that? (serious question btw) - I've not played that for donkeys years!

:confused:

rob1963
27-05-2008, 05:30 PM
Blimey... do people still dance to that? (serious question btw) - I've not played that for donkeys years!

:confused:

Vectis,

To be honest, I don't play it that often...as I usually prefer to go with I'm your man, but it was on the request list for one of my weddings at the weekend, and it went down really well!

Maybe I'll have to resurrect it!

Sam
27-05-2008, 05:42 PM
Yes,
It is a very popular song at the weddings I do.
But then they also dance to Rick Astley.. so who knows!

soundtracker
27-05-2008, 05:51 PM
I usually bring it in after 42 seconds - don't use the headphones - apart from checking its the right track! That's just experience and the sort of mind that stores otherwise useless information!

rob1963
27-05-2008, 05:56 PM
I usually bring it in after 42 seconds - don't use the headphones - apart from checking its the right track!

I don't need to use headphones to check it's the right track...as it's on the only CD I own where the track names come up on my CD player's display!

Sam
27-05-2008, 06:40 PM
I usually bring it in after 42 seconds - don't use the headphones - apart from checking its the right track! That's just experience and the sort of mind that stores otherwise useless information!

yes.
But surely you should check it?
I don't like the attitude of "it must be right" ... just increases the chances of human error.

BeerFunk
27-05-2008, 06:41 PM
The reason I don't listen to Club Tropicana in the headphones & cue it where I want it to start is simply because I don't feel the need to do so.

I've played it enough times to know that I can just start it 35 seconds before the previous track ends, then fade it up after 35 seconds & it will start where I want it to.

:)Yes, but in relation to the other track, you'll have absolutely no idea how the mix will sound.

I usually bring it in after 42 seconds - don't use the headphones - apart from checking its the right track! That's just experience and the sort of mind that stores otherwise useless information!Yes, that's on the first beat, that's generally where I start it too - depending on the previous track of course.

I don't need to use headphones to check it's the right track...as it's on the only CD I own where the track names come up on my CD player's display!

:DThat will be the Best Of CD then, manufactured by Sony :)

ppentertainments
27-05-2008, 06:55 PM
Me thinks this headphone / mixing argument is going to go on and on and on and on ........................
How many threads has it appeared on now ???

BeerFunk
27-05-2008, 07:13 PM
Me thinks this headphone / mixing argument is going to go on and on and on and on ........................
How many threads has it appeared on now ???Well, it is quite an important factor to a DJ! :)

wensleydale
27-05-2008, 07:21 PM
the mixing debate is very important- regardless of whether you can beatmix or not (i cant to any level that i would do it in front of the general public) however its a fact that a properly cued up track can be mixed into another song much more effectively than one you just start at the beginning.

this is something i have tried to do more frequently of late after hearing people beatmix cheesy 80s songs- i'm not at that level but I can make a real effort to do more than just end one start another.

whether its getting the bars in time, like someone said before, or cutting of on a big beat, it all helps, and makes the experience better.

you simply cannot do it without headphones or proper cueing.

ppentertainments
27-05-2008, 07:51 PM
Not wanting to get involved with this too much, but whats more important
1. Using headphones, mixing, etc etc and customers not enjoying the night.
2. Not beatmixing, using headphones etc etc and customers having a great night ?

My point - no matter what your style, habits etc surely the most important thingis that customers enjoy themselves and we have a full diary.

soundtracker
27-05-2008, 09:56 PM
yes.
But surely you should check it?
I don't like the attitude of "it must be right" ... just increases the chances of human error.

WTF - How is it going to change?

BeerFunk
27-05-2008, 10:13 PM
2. Not beatmixing, using headphones etc etc and customers having a great night ?

My point - no matter what your style, habits etc surely the most important thingis that customers enjoy themselves and we have a full diary.
How about...

3. Using headphones, mixing properly, and customers having a great night?

Not too much to ask, in my opinion.

rob1963
27-05-2008, 10:59 PM
How about...

I prefer this one:

4. Not using headphones, not mixing and customers STILL having a great night (even if the odd person DOES think that way of operating is wholly unacceptable!)

:D :D :D

Sam
27-05-2008, 11:02 PM
I prefer this one

5) not turning up :D

rob1963
27-05-2008, 11:06 PM
I prefer this one

5) not turning up :D

Sam,

That's DEFINATELY the best so far!

I'll give it a go at the next gig I'm not looking forward to & let you know how I get on.

I'll also give them your details as the person who suggested it!

Sam
27-05-2008, 11:08 PM
haha!!
You do that :P

Solitaire Events Ltd
28-05-2008, 08:29 AM
Well, it is quite an important factor to a DJ! :)

For some of us anyway. ;)

Those points don't make sense. Why would they go together? Why do people always say things like that? It's like saying, I've got crap gear, but the client still had a good night. I'd rather have decent gear and give the client a good night.

How about...

Agreed.

KaraokeDJ
28-05-2008, 02:53 PM

Simply: YES! Everything matters.

rob1963
28-05-2008, 03:12 PM
Simply: YES! Everything matters.

...but to varying degrees!

theoloyla
28-05-2008, 03:13 PM
I was never a very good mixer. When I was doing clubs in the late 70's and early 80's I could mix competently with vinyl and Technics 1210's. On mobiles I tend to just chop and fade but I do try to do it at the right time and place to present a continuous programme. Where it is dificult or impossible the mike voiceover covers a multitude of sins!

KaraokeDJ
28-05-2008, 03:14 PM
Yes. Correct. Everything matters to the best of each of our abilities and that, by virtue of opinions, brings us round to 'varying degrees'...

Sam
28-05-2008, 03:14 PM
I was never a very good mixer. When I was doing clubs in the late 70's and early 80's I could mix competently with vinyl and Technics 1210's. On mobiles I tend to just chop and fade but I do try to do it at the right time and place to present a continuous programme. Where it is dificult or impossible the mike voiceover covers a multitude of sins!

And I think, really, this is all that is needed for mobile work.
Specially at a wedding where they are all drunk anyway :D :D

Corabar Steve
28-05-2008, 04:05 PM
And I think, really, this is all that is needed for mobile work.
Specially at a wedding where they are all drunk anyway :D :D

& they're not when they're in a club? My my, clubs must have changed since my day :sj:

Sam
28-05-2008, 04:11 PM
& they're not when they're in a club? My my, clubs must have changed since my day :sj:

Haha.
True... Stop proving me wrong :p
Anyway, I have no experience of DJing in clubs... just doing extremely bad dances haha.

Tom
28-05-2008, 04:20 PM
Sam = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OE6P-lwS0lQ :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

rob1963
28-05-2008, 04:27 PM
I was never a very good mixer.

I'm surprised.

You strike me as someone who is very sociable and who can happily chat to all different kinds of people when you're out.

Sam
28-05-2008, 04:27 PM
isn't that a cool way to dance?
Maybe that is where i've been going wrong!

ppentertainments
28-05-2008, 04:29 PM
For some of us anyway. ;)

Those points don't make sense. Why would they go together? Why do people always say things like that? It's like saying, I've got crap gear, but the client still had a good night. I'd rather have decent gear and give the client a good night.

Agreed.

Since when does having decent gear make for a decent night?? You can have crap, but reliable gear, and still give the client a good night.
I am not knocking people for, or for not, using headphones etc, but each to their own. All I am saying is the priority MUST be to give the client a decent night.
Was at a birthday do a couple of months ago where the dj was beatmixing, using headphones, excellent system, but the party were not interested. They would have prefered a lot of cheese music. Also the dj miscued a couple of times as he was concentrating too much on his headphones and not looking or listening to what was actually being played. As I say each to their own, we should not knock what anyone does if they are successful.
PS I use headphones for nightclub / pub gigs but find it not needed for weddings etc.

Sam
28-05-2008, 04:32 PM
Since when does having decent gear make for a decent night??

But that isn't what Darren said...

theoloyla
28-05-2008, 04:52 PM
I'm surprised.

You strike me as someone who is very sociable and who can happily chat to all different kinds of people when you're out.
But only when I'm making ****tails!:) :beer1:

theoloyla
28-05-2008, 04:57 PM
As for using headphones when cuing tracks - I am familiar enough with most of the ones that I play that I dont bother but if it is one I am not familiar with I check the intro. As for starting tracks with long intros so many seconds before the last track ends - I seldom do that. Instead I make a note on the sleeve of where the cue point is e.g. "Thriller" 37 secs and just cue it up to that point.

Solitaire Events Ltd
28-05-2008, 05:50 PM
Since when does having decent gear make for a decent night?? You can have crap, but reliable gear, and still give the client a good night.

But that isn't what Darren said...

Indeed.

Excalibur
28-05-2008, 06:42 PM

Amen Brother. You tell'em! We're singing from the same hymnsheet here. :D

Agreed.

I am not knocking people for, or for not, using headphones etc, but each to their own. All I am saying is the priority MUST be to give the client a decent night..

I'd like top class gear of course, but surely the point of paramount importance is that the punters MUST have a good night ( and I'm sure it goes without saying that the gear must be reliable. I used to use some kit which quite frankly makes me cringe now, but the sound was always excellent. I'm in no way decrying the urge to strive for better kit, I'm just saying that it shouldn't necessarily be an end in itself. A good and enjoyable Disco function contains many disparate parts, and the whole is sometimes greater than the sum of the parts. :D

Was at a birthday do a couple of months ago where the dj was beatmixing, using headphones, excellent system, but the party were not interested. They would have prefered a lot of cheese music. .
Years ago, when I had a Hotel residency, I had to get a DJ in to cover for me. When I turned up, I was seriously impressed, there he was mixing like a man possessed, the first time I'd seen it done to such an extent. Sadly, the crowd were singularly unimpressed, until I took over ( The other DJ was pleased to get FULL pay, and an early finish! :D Don't think I was being mean to him, it was my kit, and I'd been unable to get to that function in time after finishing an earlier one. ) All I did was all I knew, party/cheese, top and tail 'em, and the same crowd packed the dancefloor! I'm not boasting in any way, just pointing out the wide gulf we sometimes have to span!;)

BeerFunk
28-05-2008, 07:07 PM
The age old 'guy with best gear but no DJing skills versus guy with basic gear but full dancefloor' argument doesn't really apply to this thread.

This thread is about improving, and doing your best in every area.

Excalibur
28-05-2008, 07:10 PM
The age old 'guy with best gear but no DJing skills versus guy with basic gear but full dancefloor' argument doesn't really apply to this thread.

This thread is about getting improving, and doing your best in every area.

I disagree with that. The title of the thread is " Everything Matters". Like I said, the sum of the parts, surely?

Candybeatdiscos
28-05-2008, 07:11 PM
I agree that beat mixing is certainly not important, its a matter of making sure the customer is happy, i do not beat mix very often - i dont lose the dancefloor often,

As for gear then yeah i am sure we would all like martin lights, denon mixers etc but at the end of the day they cost a lot, if your like me you have three kids to support, not enough money at the start to buy all this gear and you need to start the business up, then pay yourself a wage, pay your bills, then what little is perhaps left you need to save to upgrade the gear - it my take me 5-10 years to have the money to upgrade, but i am sure i will get there, so does that mean that for 5-10 years because i have substandard lights that do what they say on the tin (ie provide adequate disco lighting) then i am a poor dj?

(pops tin hat on and awaits grenade)

Solitaire Events Ltd
28-05-2008, 07:17 PM

This thread is about getting improving, and doing your best in every area.

I disagree with that. The title of the thread is " Everything Matters". Like I said, the sum of the parts, surely?

I think you're saying the same thing but from a different angle.

I agree that beat mixing is certainly not important, its a matter of making sure the customer is happy, i do not beat mix very often - i dont lose the dancefloor often,

As for gear then yeah i am sure we would all like martin lights, denon mixers etc but at the end of the day they cost a lot, if your like me you have three kids to support, not enough money at the start to buy all this gear and you need to start the business up, then pay yourself a wage, pay your bills, then what little is perhaps left you need to save to upgrade the gear - it my take me 5-10 years to have the money to upgrade, but i am sure i will get there, so does that mean that for 5-10 years because i have substandard lights that do what they say on the tin (ie provide adequate disco lighting) then i am a poor dj?

I never said anyone was a poor DJ because they don't have the best lights. I said everything matters. Some people write certain parts of our job off thinking it doesn't matter and I think it does. The fact that you have said what you have means that you do think everything matters. :)

Excalibur
28-05-2008, 07:27 PM

I won't be lobbing it mate, you've virtually nicked my script ! ;) :D

I think you're saying the same thing but from a different angle.

I'm gald to hear that, cos from here it didn't seem that way.:confused:

I never said anyone was a poor DJ because they don't have the best lights. I said everything matters. Some people write certain parts of our job off thinking it doesn't matter and I think it does. The fact that you have said what you have means that you do think everything matters. :)

I've lost track of who posted what, but surely there can be no argument that everything DOES matter. ( Tin hat time:- But some things matter more than others. just don't expect me to say which they might be! SOFA! :sofa: :D )

rob1963
28-05-2008, 08:21 PM
This thread is about improving, and doing your best in every area.

On the subject of improving, I've made a decision this week.

I'll soon be out with my new digital console, so I'll have no more CDs to faff about with, and will just load requests, playlists etc straight into the D2's crate in advance...so everything will be there ready to cue in a second.

Rather than just stand there like a lemon (no funny comments please!), I've decided to use the extra time to start doing a bit of mixing, particularly with some of the late 70s & early 80s disco classics. I have 12" versions of lots of these, which have nice long intros that are crying out to be used for running mixes.

This will be easier with the D2 than it is at present with my CDs, as the bpm of each track will be displayed on the screen. In addition, the D2 has a clever set of LEDs that flash in time with the beats in each bar.

I might even get quite good and end up as Worcester Park's answer to Les Adams!

Oh...hang on a minute...Les Adams WAS from Worcester Park!

:doh:

flatliners
28-05-2008, 08:26 PM
les adams wasnt he one of the judges in the gemini dj mixing comp at plasa seems like a nice guy along with the other guy who used to present the comp carnt remember his name

ppentertainments
28-05-2008, 08:34 PM

I'll soon be out with my new digital console, so I'll have no more CDs to faff about with, and will just load requests, playlists etc straight into the D2's crate in advance...so everything will be there ready to cue in a second.

Rather than just stand there like a lemon (no funny comments please!), I've decided to use the extra time to start doing a bit of mixing, particularly with some of the late 70s & early 80s disco classics. I have 12" versions of lots of these, which have nice long intros that are crying out to be used for running mixes.

This will be easier with the D2 than it is at present with my CDs, as the bpm of each track will be displayed on the screen. In addition, the D2 has a clever set of LEDs that flash in time with the beats in each bar.

I might even get quite good and end up as Worcester Park's answer to Les Adams!

Oh...hang on a minute...Les Adams WAS from Worcester Park!

:doh:

Do you have multi coloured lights ?? They will be more interesting than single colour I think.:p :p
Hope you have your headphones connected !:p

rob1963
28-05-2008, 08:43 PM
les adams wasnt he one of the judges in the gemini dj mixing comp at plasa seems like a nice guy along with the other guy who used to present the comp carnt remember his name

I think you're right.

I met him a number of times in the late 1980s when he had a few chart hits under the name "LA Mix"

He knew the owner of a local record shop which I used to frequent, and he sometimes used to go in & play a tape of the latest cut of his most recent LA Mix future hit to see what we thought.

He also worked on Radio Jackie & a number of other pirate stations around London, and I seem to remember him doing some mixes for the DMC (back in the days when their monthly previews & mixes came out on vinyl!).

One of his LA Mix hits made about number 5 in the charts which made him a lot of money, so sold his place in Worcester Park & moved away to a big house somewhere else.

That was 20 years ago, and I haven't seen him since.

wensleydale
28-05-2008, 09:29 PM
i recently found out that radio jackie, despite saying they broadcast from the top of the tolworth tower, only have a transmitter up there.
apparantly the studio is at ground level across the road.

rubbish.

wouldnt have happened in your day would it rob?

rob1963
28-05-2008, 09:43 PM
i recently found out that radio jackie, despite saying they broadcast from the top of the tolworth tower, only have a transmitter up there.
apparantly the studio is at ground level across the road.

rubbish.

wouldnt have happened in your day would it rob?

Absolutely right Rich!

PropellerHeadCase
28-05-2008, 10:04 PM
I can't agree with that. I think a basic grasp of beat mixing is a skill which all mobile DJs should have. I'm not talking about Pete Tong style mixing - I mean just mixing two tracks together over 8 or 16 beats.

Believe it or not I disagree. For mobile DJing beatmatching is, at most, added value. So long as there are smooth transitions between tracks and the tracks in question are good the way that transition is achieved isn't relevant at all for "basic standards".

For example, most tracks have sections of 16 or 32 beats. So you bring in the first beat of the new track exactly on the first beat of a 16/32 beat section, of the track you're fading out :confused: :)

This way, there may be a bit of a sudden change in tempo (not too drastic if you've chosen well), but the beat is still continuous.

Yet if you fade too slowly two songs that are quite close in BPM will actually sound worse than two songs that are quite far apart. Knowing how quickly to fade to make the most of the two songs' dynamics and not have them clash is a skill (and nothing to do with beatmatching).

I personallly can't believe that music, the very thing that people make their money from is so low on a priority list, in terms of the way it is cued and mixed.

I don't disagree but beatmatching is generally most appreciated by other DJs and trainspotters, the general public, especially when a little the worse for booze won't care - that doesn't stop me from caring but that does allow some people to have that as a lesser priority and still be "good DJs" as far as their punters are concerned.

...or the DJ kept accidentally playing the wrong song/played long quiet intro (like the hi-hats at the start of 'Ice, Ice Baby'), etc.

In reality the average client's response will be "I'm not fussed how you do it so long as we have a great party with songs everyone knows".

He did say "overlap" not "gap".

YES! Summer party anthem, also play Madonna 'Holiday' ;)

I'd be very wary of BPM counters and flashing LEDs (especially if the counters don't go down to two decimal places ;))

As far as the "crap gear" comments are concerned - what is this definition based on? If excellent sound equipment has the description "critical listening environment" anywhere in it then the difference between it and a merely "good PA" in a non-critical listening environment (most venues) will be negligible.

If we're talking about reliability... well, even high-end equipment can have a faulty fuse or whatever and the only difference between expensive gear with a blown fuse/cone and average gear with a blown fuse/cone is how much it will cost to fix.

I would say that a reliable and hardy PA that you can afford to buy two of is a better investment than high-end equipment that you can buy one of.

And lights? Considering most punters seems to spend their time shielding or averting their eyes what IS the definition of good?

:sj: :sj: :sj: :sj: :sj:
Devil's advocate

flatliners
28-05-2008, 10:09 PM
this your fella

rob1963
28-05-2008, 10:14 PM
this your fella

That's him!

He didn't even have any hair when I last saw him 20 years ago!

BeerFunk
28-05-2008, 10:49 PM
Believe it or not I disagree. For mobile DJing beatmatching is, at most, added value.I don't disagree, it is added value, which is really along the same lines as the thread topic. It's a small part of the whole picture of being a mobile DJ, but it's these things that add up - everything counts.

So perhaps my original statement (that all DJs should have a basic grasp of beatmatching) isn't that accurate. The best DJs certainly do though, as something has to differentiate the average from the good, and the good from the best ;)

Yet if you fade too slowly two songs that are quite close in BPM will actually sound worse than two songs that are quite far apart. Knowing how quickly to fade to make the most of the two songs' dynamics and not have them clash is a skill (and nothing to do with beatmatching).Well, yes, but as soon as you start the incoming track on the first beat, you immediately start fading out the outgoing track. The rapidity of the fade out is proportional to the difference in tempo between the two tracks :)

I don't disagree but beatmatching is generally most appreciated by other DJs and trainspotters, the general public, especially when a little the worse for booze won't care - that doesn't stop me from caring but that does allow some people to have that as a lesser priority and still be "good DJs" as far as their punters are concerned.Yes, but most of the dancefloor wouldn't even be aware that the music is being beat mixed - but what they would know is that they can keep dancing without gaps, pauses or having to re-adjust their feet to a change in tempo or a missed beat.

I'd be very wary of BPM counters and flashing LEDs (especially if the counters don't go down to two decimal places ;))Some are not even worth the circuit board they're printed on. I've seen one which couldn't even get 'Rihanna - Don't Stop The Music' right. If it can't get that, what chance does it have with a less obvious 4/4? :rolleyes:

PropellerHeadCase
28-05-2008, 11:10 PM
Sometimes if the beatmatching is TOO good people stop dancing until they can figure out what the new song is :D

My favourite one with BPM counters is where you pitch a 125BPM track by 1%, for example, and it registers a change of 1BPM not 1.2 or 1.3.

Boogie Boy
29-05-2008, 08:29 AM
What has amazed me is how many modern day tracks with thumpin' 4/4 beats still drift in tempo.:eek: With everything digital, I'd have thought that was a thing of the past, so I guess plenty of producers are still using analogue recording devices at some point in the recording chain.

As to beat matching and BPM counters, they don't mean a thing if the guy using 'em has no grasp of mixing or is deaf in one ear. I use a Numark CDN-88 double CD player, which has beat matching and quite frankly it is a complete waste of time, unless the tracks are within a very narrow pitch up or down and rock solid 4/4 beats. Even then, it has great difficulty in understanding that I know where the first beat of a bar is and it quite often doesn't, so it still tries to do a mix completely wrong. Sooooo, I do everything manually, 'cos I can't place any trust in the machine.

Quite honestly, if you're worried about BPMs being calculated to 2 decimal points.......:rolleyes:

Sure, it's great to know that a particular track is 120.07 BPM or whatever, BUT (a) what are the chances of that being 100% accurate (does the device use instant sampling of BPM or average?) (b) the chances of another track being similar (that you'd want to play next) (c) the need to, or chances of matching BPMs to the nearest 1/100th, on devices that have 60 mm sliders to cover +6% to -6% as a minimum range of adjustment. Unless you're using computer software to auto beat match tracks (and then you're NOT doing the mixing), knowing the nearest whole BPM should be perfectly adequate to allow any proficient DJ to mix well.

I have a fairly good software programme (that actually cost decent money)on my computer that does auto beat mixes and even it has difficulty picking out relatively simple 4/4 beat patterns, or placing beat markers at the right place within beats. Result...even it can't beat mix tracks that are relatively easy to do manually and should be a doddle. It also forces me to arrange mixes in a completely and utterly foreign way to what is instinctive/intuitive. And yet, you give it two wildly different tracks and it'll sometimes come up with a gem of a mix. Grrrr.

There's still a long way to go (thank goodness) and let's hope DJs are still needed in preference to machinery in the future.

Sometimes if the beatmatching is TOO good people stop dancing until they can figure out what the new song is :D

Surely that's an oxymoron if ever I saw one. THE whole point of mixing is to make the transitions seamless, so that the punter shouldn't care which song/tune they're dancing to and just keep dancing.

I'll admit though, the average mobile punter does seem to bypass accepted dancing etiquette on numerous occasions.:p :p :p :o

Solitaire Events Ltd
29-05-2008, 08:51 AM
I don't disagree, it is added value, which is really along the same lines as the thread topic. It's a small part of the whole picture of being a mobile DJ, but it's these things that add up - everything counts.

Which is exactly the point that some people appear to be missing.

Shakermaker Promotions
29-05-2008, 11:33 AM
It's not always about the BPM though guys. I like to do things differently and give people a clue of what is coming next by bringing in the next song for a couple of seconds and then taking it out again.

A classic example is something like the beginning of Primal Scream's 'Loaded' which is a talking part ("Just what is it that you want to do...." etc etc). I could be playing something like Pendulum or Chemical Brothers and it will fit perfectly in there. Same can be said for the likes of the House of Pain and 'Jump Around' with the horns at the beginning.

My favourite though, and it mixes very well is Kasabian 'LSF' and Blur 'There's no other way'. The guitar intro on the Blur track fits really well if you just bring it in now and then.

I agree that BPM'ing dance tunes is well worth doing as (in my view) it adds that extra bit of professionalism to your show and come on guys, to be honest, and I've said it before...the general public perception of the Mobile DJ is that we are all cheesemesiters and just push buttons and have fancy lights. I think we should all try and do our best to get away from that image. Some weddings, christmas parties etc...as soon as some people (generally the younger crowd who go clubbing) see you set up, they get the wrong idea (or the usual perception as above), so when you are playing the dance tunes and mixing them up...well, it can really surprise them. I have had a number of comments from people who were totally honest with me and have said words to the effect of... "I thought it was going to be another cheesy party dj but it was actually really cool"....and I am NOT a dance DJ, I just TRY to please as it makes me work harder and also makes me look better.

Of course, there's always someone there that thinks that if you don't have a pair of 1210's and boxes and boxes of 12" wax then you aren't a real DJ anyway so you can't actually win sometimes but then if you sat them down and explained to them that it's more practical (in my case anyway) to leave them at home then maybe they would understand.

At the end of the day, I think it's common sense to anyone that is doing this job for a living to at least give it a go. As Boogie said above, you can't rely on the equipment to do it for you and in some cases, the actual track itself goes in and out of tempo which is really frustrating but at least give it a go. Imagine if you went to get your car fixed and the only guy there was excellent in most fields but never knew how to fix a puncture because he had never needed to but one of the things that really needed doing was the puncture....you'd be pretty gutted. He should know how to do it and he should give it a go in reality.

theoloyla
29-05-2008, 03:35 PM
I think you're right.

I met him a number of times in the late 1980s when he had a few chart hits under the name "LA Mix"

He knew the owner of a local record shop which I used to frequent, and he sometimes used to go in & play a tape of the latest cut of his most recent LA Mix future hit to see what we thought.

He also worked on Radio Jackie & a number of other pirate stations around London, and I seem to remember him doing some mixes for the DMC (back in the days when their monthly previews & mixes came out on vinyl!).

One of his LA Mix hits made about number 5 in the charts which made him a lot of money, so sold his place in Worcester Park & moved away to a big house somewhere else.

That was 20 years ago, and I haven't seen him since.
Les Adams was one of the nicest guys in the business in the late 70's early 80's. He was my favourite mixer and yes he did lots of great mixes for Disco Mix Club. He was a judge on many of the DMC championships and I had the priviledge of working with him on many occasions. I havent had any contact with him for some time now. Last I heard of him was that he had married his girlfriend Emma and moved to Newport Pagnell.

PropellerHeadCase
29-05-2008, 09:51 PM
knowing the nearest whole BPM should be perfectly adequate to allow any proficient DJ to mix well.

Rubbish, I can mix quite well, and I don't want to be nudging the tracks so that they sit over each other properly... knowing to the nearest 0.25 is better, and for a 16 count fade it's enough.

Surely that's an oxymoron if ever I saw one. THE whole point of mixing is to make the transitions seamless, so that the punter shouldn't care which song/tune they're dancing to and just keep dancing.

"Some people don't dance if they don't know who's singing."

If the transition is too seamless people don't know what song they are dancing to and so stop... happens all the time at weddings... almost never happens at clubs.

Solitaire Events Ltd
29-05-2008, 10:04 PM
"Some people don't dance if they don't know who's singing."

If the transition is too seamless people don't know what song they are dancing to and so stop... happens all the time at weddings... almost never happens at clubs.

Also, I have heard older people at weddings say that they like a change of beat occasionally too, rather than something too samey.

theoloyla
30-05-2008, 02:27 PM
Also you dont get that scream when you bung on a new track that the audience just love if it is mixed in so beautifully that they dont notice.

Boogie Boy
30-05-2008, 02:36 PM
Also you dont get that scream when you bung on a new track that the audience just love if it is mixed in so beautifully that they dont notice.

However, if it were an American audience they'd be screaming at every single mix....or so I've been told.

PropellerHeadCase
30-05-2008, 03:50 PM
Americans can be quite vociferous about their pleasure (or displeasure) at song choice. We had a couple of ex-pat American friends in New Zealand and everytime we had a get together (usually for the kids' birthdays) she'd comment everytime a track she liked came up on the computer (these were usually the seventies funk numbers like Deodato 'Also Sprach Zarathustra').

Daryll
11-03-2009, 06:46 PM
Sorry to drag this topic up from last year but.................

We have several new members here , and IMHO the topic title "Everything matters" , is by far the most important thing I have learned on any forum , I like to think it has made me a better DJ.
So from the music, lights and down to personal appearance and attitude, and everything in between.

EVERYTHING MATTERS

Daryll

Dj Ramon
11-03-2009, 09:03 PM

Totally aggre with Solitaire, Our music is why we do it, right? I've worked in clubs back in the day, but now just run a retro mobile, I love it when I can play some good ole hi-energy 132bpm stuff and get them beat mixes going, its not vanity on my part, as in clubs you do tend to keep the dance floor busy if your tunes are just smoothin' and groovin' along, if I don't beat mix a track then a good straight forward "chop mix" can be just effective in joining two different genres of music together.

Kev