PDA

View Full Version : Not too sure what to buy?

DJ Frankie
28-05-2008, 02:37 PM
Hi Folks

I am looking to purchase an MP3 player to use with either my ots laptop or to plug an external hard drive into. Now at present I cannot afford the Denon DN-HD2500 but am thinking about either the Cortex HDC-3000 or the Denon HD4500, which one would you all recommend?

spin mobile disco
28-05-2008, 02:46 PM
Neither get the numark d2

djsteve10
28-05-2008, 02:51 PM
What about an american dj SD card reader?
or save a few quid more rather than buying an ipod or a MP3 player get a cortex if it is just for backup useage.

DJ Frankie
28-05-2008, 02:57 PM
The laptop will now be used as my back up player plus it will also run my dmx software so I need a reliable deck to use to play out the music. How stable is the Numark d2 Spin?

Shaun
28-05-2008, 02:58 PM
I'd say to go for the D2 if you can't afford the Denon. I know some people are happy with the cortex, but I use one for backup and I don't rate it at all.

Vectis
28-05-2008, 03:02 PM
How stable is the Numark d2 Spin?

Rock solid.

I "upgraded" to a d2 from an OTS laptop which had never given so much as a glitch (aside from finger trouble! :p ) and the d2 is at least as robust.

Go for it, you won't regret it. And because they're being phased out in favour of the next-gen product, they're rather cheap right now.

DJ Frankie
28-05-2008, 03:02 PM
Why is it so bad Shaun? I have heard that if the tab key on the Cortex is pressed it could stop a track is this true?

DJ Frankie
28-05-2008, 03:05 PM
Now im really confused I went from the denon to the cortex and now the D2 I need to read up on this ........

Im also am stuck on whether to purchase some RCF active speakers or buy the MP3 playersand flight case.

rob1963
28-05-2008, 03:05 PM
Neither get the numark d2

:agree:

rob1963
28-05-2008, 03:09 PM
I have heard that if the tab key on the Cortex is pressed it could stop a track is this true?

From what I remember Shakermaker saying in a recent post about his Cortex, I believe that if you do a search without remembering to tab across to the deck that's not currently in use, the current track will top playing.

I'm sure one of the Cortex users will be able to clarify the situation.

DJ Frankie
28-05-2008, 05:49 PM
From what I remember Shakermaker saying in a recent post about his Cortex, I believe that if you do a search without remembering to tab across to the deck that's not currently in use, the current track will top playing.

Yeah this is what I heard. Maybe I need to look at the D2

Excalibur
28-05-2008, 06:04 PM
Hi Folks

I am looking to purchase an MP3 player to use with either my ots laptop or to plug an external hard drive into. Now at present I cannot afford the Denon DN-HD2500 but am thinking about either the Cortex HDC-3000 or the Denon HD4500, which one would you all recommend?
Try them all. I had a short play with a D2 and a Cortex1000 before going for the Cortex, because as far as I could see, it suited my needs and style best. I needed two separate displays for my peace of mind, being a DJ of very little brain. Amazingly enough, I'm not going to disagree with Rob for preferring the Numark, his reasoning for once is sound, and personal choice is important. Definitely "try before you buy", since in my very limited experience, the two units seem to require different styles. When I've actually used the Cortex in battle, I'll have more to say.

Searching the playing deck is fine, it's just very easy to choose another track by accident should you not tab across to the other side, and the effect which baffles me, is if you pause a track, and then hit the "West" buton, as Crazy and I refer to it (The navigator looks like a compass ;) the track stutters at a fixed point. Someone may know what it's for, but it beats the brain of one so technologically dim!:o

The Cortex is not perfect, I don't think anyone claims that, and if I ever get as far as a second unit, Heaven alone knows what it might be? :confused:

Shaun
28-05-2008, 06:21 PM
Why is it so bad Shaun? I have heard that if the tab key on the Cortex is pressed it could stop a track is this true?

I've not experienced that, then again I've only used the cortex for about an hour in total whilst gigging. It just doesn't feel right in general to me. Also, compared to the Denon the cueing function is nowhere in the same league as the Denon. Additionally, the ability to import playlists is really important to me, this isn't possible unless you're hooking up an ipod to the cortex, why it's only compatible with iPod only playlists is beyond me. It's possible (I think) to make up playlists using the controller but I'd imagine it would be an extremely time consuming and laborious task. The cortex is cheap though, which is the only reason I bought it. It's intended as a last resort backup should my main system go down.

For a main playout system I wouldn't touch the cortex with a barge-pole. No offense intended to those that use and like the cortex, it's just my personal opinion.

Danno13
28-05-2008, 06:24 PM
(The navigator looks like a compass the track stutters at a fixed point. Someone may know what it's for, but it beats the brain of one so technologically dim!

Thats what loads of CD players do.. its so you can cue to the starting beat exactly. Wish Virtual DJ did it, as its what I'm used to :(

flatliners
28-05-2008, 06:51 PM
did i hear you mention rcf actives :D

Excalibur
28-05-2008, 07:18 PM
I've not experienced that, then again I've only used the cortex for about an hour in total whilst gigging. It just doesn't feel right in general to me. Also, compared to the Denon the cueing function is nowhere in the same league as the Denon. Additionally, the ability to import playlists is really important to me, this isn't possible unless you're hooking up an ipod to the cortex, why it's only compatible with iPod only playlists is beyond me. It's possible (I think) to make up playlists using the controller but I'd imagine it would be an extremely time consuming and laborious task. The cortex is cheap though, which is the only reason I bought it. It's intended as a last resort backup should my main system go down.

For a main playout system I wouldn't touch the cortex with a barge-pole. No offense intended to those that use and like the cortex, it's just my personal opinion.

There is apparently an " on the go " playlist capability, I have no idea what it is, but it's there if it helps? :confused: My idea is to use Flash drives as "playlists" , in a limited way, eg background music and the like. I hope I can find enough suitable tracks manually in the main part of the gig. Time will tell. I may have to grovel to Rob and buy a D2, who knows? ;) :D

Thats what loads of CD players do.. its so you can cue to the starting beat exactly. Wish Virtual DJ did it, as its what I'm used to :(

There you are, shows how dim I am! :D

Solitaire Events Ltd
28-05-2008, 07:18 PM

Eh? :confused:

Excalibur
28-05-2008, 07:30 PM

Eh? :confused:

Im also am stuck on whether to purchase some RCF active speakers or buy the MP3 playersand flight case.

Do try to keep up at the back there! ;) :D

spin mobile disco
28-05-2008, 07:44 PM
In answer the D2 is rock solid. Been running it for nearly 2 years now with no problems. Have a look at the crate function as I think this in many respects is ojne of the best features. The dennon and cortex now have them but it still has a dedicated button for it which gives it the edge still.
The cortex is pretty solid all in all but as I camefrom a set of cdn - 88's the D2 was a much easier interface for me to understand.

Solitaire Events Ltd
28-05-2008, 07:44 PM
Do try to keep up at the back there! ;) :D

Sorry old boy! :D