PDA

View Full Version : 1 yr old birthday

ppentertainments
29-05-2008, 04:59 PM
I have just took a booking for a 1 year old birthday party. The client says she really just wants flashing lights, some music and a few games. No problem but at 1 year old I can't think of much that will not need parental involvement. I have explained this to the client and she said it would be no problem - she basically just wants light and music.

I have done many kids parties mainly 4 and upover but has anyone any advice on a 1 year old. My thoughts is that it probably won't be much difference to a christening.:confused: :confused:

djsteve10
29-05-2008, 05:10 PM
Maybe Mr Mayhem can help out here as this is his speciality.

theoloyla
29-05-2008, 05:15 PM
Just an excuse for the parents to have a get together I would think.

DJmissbehaving
29-05-2008, 05:26 PM
Dress as a clown hahahaha

Kernow
29-05-2008, 05:32 PM
If it's near Merseyside , try 'Wheels Off The Bus' :D , that will bring plenty of flashing lights.......mainly blue !!:beer1:

ppentertainments
29-05-2008, 05:35 PM
Dress as a clown hahahaha

My wedding outfit then :D :D

Not heard from mr mayhem for a while. I know he is good with advice on kids.

Tom
29-05-2008, 06:19 PM
I don't know much about this but I would of thought slow moving lights and colours as anything too fast will be a bit to much for them.

Solitaire Events Ltd
29-05-2008, 06:42 PM
Just an excuse for the parents to have a get together I would think.

I agree.

One year old kids won't understand what a disco is yet.

My wedding outfit then :D :D

Not heard from mr mayhem for a while. I know he is good with advice on kids.

He doesn't do parties for them that young I don't think!

axeman
29-05-2008, 07:04 PM
yeah my advice would be to watch the mammys and daddys, and play to them, but remember the kids are prob gonna be various ages too.

you cant go wrong with, grease, ymca, saturday night, macerena.

but make sure you include -
s club, vengaboys, steps, party stuff like that,

play games between the songs (spaced out) musical statues, musical bumps, corners. and at the end i normally finish with the hokey cokey.

good luck

ppentertainments
29-05-2008, 07:23 PM
Just had Mr Mayhem on the phone out of the blue. Some great advise much appreciated. I must say how appreciative I am for this. It is great to get helpful advice from other dj's / entertainers from this forum and personally.

Thanks again Mr Mayhem, good to hear from you.

Mayhem 1
29-05-2008, 07:33 PM
Hey Chris,

No probs at all buddy, I hope it goes well for you.

You must let us know how it goes.

DJmissbehaving
29-05-2008, 08:14 PM
I was beginning to wonder who this Mr Mayhem was.....i thought it was someone like Mr Motivator hahaha.....am so blonde sometimes

Mayhem 1
30-05-2008, 08:17 AM
DJmissbehaving,

I can assure you buddy I am very real :D

JAMdisco
04-06-2008, 08:07 AM
I personally would stay well clear of such a gig :p

I generally won't do anything under 12 as this falls into 'childrens entertainer' territory. Nothing wrong with that and all credit to the very real Mr. Mayhem but I don't think I could handle the hassle :D

Solitaire Events Ltd
04-06-2008, 11:02 AM
I generally won't do anything under 12 as this falls into 'childrens entertainer' territory.

Judging by the bookings we've had for kids discos, I would say the age is more likely to be 10+ now. We've done quite a few disco/karaokes for 10 and 11 year olds based on 'teenage party' scenario rather than childrens entertainer.

Vectis
04-06-2008, 12:04 PM
I generally won't do anything under 12 as this falls into 'childrens entertainer' territory.

Disagree.

We offer a kids mobile club package right down to six year olds and pull about 40-50 gigs a year with not a game in sight. It's all in the marketing. Typical gig will start with half an hour of charts/club type stuff, then a chunk of recent kids 'typicals' such as the last half dozen Now CDs, a bit of HSM/HM/this week's fad, then rounding off with half an hour of daft party songs where the adults are dragged in to help out with the moves for the older songs.

Some of the most enjoyable gigs by far - nearly a full wedge, home by 10 :approve:

ppentertainments
29-06-2008, 08:38 PM
Done my 1 year old party today and what a good easy one it was. Parental involvement is a must though. It was really no different to other kids parties and for the whole 3 hours only needed to play 2 games as they enjoyed the dancing so much. Round of applause at the end, one booking and 2 enquiries so must have done o.k. - even got buffet - which is quite rare when playing in the area I was in.

theoloyla
01-07-2008, 06:09 PM
Its nice when you get buffeted.:D

ppentertainments
01-07-2008, 06:27 PM
Its nice when you get buffeted.:D

it is and is really appreciated. The problem I have is round here people expect you to just help yourself eithout being asked. I always wait until asked then go once all the guests have been. Most of the time though the client ends up coming over (a bit embarassed) because they presumed I would just help myself. - you can't win :D :D