PDA

View Full Version : Residency Contracts

mike8863
05-06-2008, 02:24 PM
I may have the chance of a local residency at a rather nice privately run hotel. Now I have no idea on contracts for such and if needed will do it properly with a solicitor. Basically I want to know what you guys do and tap into your experience.
I work full time at the moment and dj'ing is a hobby, in that I don't make enought to pay tax, in fact they owe me!!. So I would need to give up my job as it is shift work, weekends friday sat nights etc.

What are the pitfalls apart from the obvious, getting booted out by the hotel for whatever reason, hence a contract, are there any other points i need to consider??.

Thanks in advance

Mike

Danno13
05-06-2008, 02:25 PM
I just issue a contract per date they want to book, or list a few at a time and have them sign my normal terms & conditions. Seems the simplest way to me.

mike8863
05-06-2008, 02:59 PM
That is what I think the old resident did, but I'm not a full time dj and need to cover my backside if i'm going to pack in work. But that is possibly the way they will work.

Mike

rob1963
05-06-2008, 03:32 PM
Mike,

I'd think very long & hard before giving up your day job on the strength of ONE residency at a hotel.

I really don't think it's a good idea to put all your eggs in one backet.

What if it only lasts for a couple of months for whatever reason?

CRAZY K
05-06-2008, 03:40 PM
Mike,

I'd think very long & hard before giving up your day job on the strength of ONE residency at a hotel.

I really don't think it's a good idea to put all your eggs in one backet.

What if it only lasts for a couple of months for whatever reason?

Good advice there, if you went full tIme you may also consider joining ( if not already a member) a DJ Association or the Musicians Union who I believe offer some kind of advisory Legal Service to help you if things get nasty.

CRAZY K

mike8863
05-06-2008, 04:04 PM
The problems I face are equally ironic in that, I can't commit to the residency while i'm working shifts, and i can't afford not to work as you rightly point out incase it goes horribly wrong.
There is the option of finding another job 9-5 mon to fri, which at 45 with no real qualifications and no actual jobs around at the moment a tad difficult.
The hotel say they can gaurantee me a minimum 2 weddings a week up to the christmas season. there are some weeks in july and august where they have 4 + weddings a week.
Then there is the other stuff, general disco's for birthdays etc to calculate in. I know some of you have made that leap from full time job to dj'ing as a full time commitment, and found it scary too.
I'm seriously thinking of saying no to them now , but will fill in as and when i can, this is all getting too scary.

Solitaire Events Ltd
05-06-2008, 04:17 PM
Mike

Haven't you got another local, reliable, trustworthy DJ that can cover work for you?

That way, you can carry on with your day job and have the best of both worlds.

mike8863
05-06-2008, 04:38 PM
I have a fellow dj who I pass on work to, but what if he's busy on any given night when I'm working. The current resident has 4 different dj's to call upon and the hotel don't like it, as they're all different, image etc, and by all accounts a tad unreliable.

Solitaire Events Ltd
05-06-2008, 04:47 PM
Are you a member of NADJ at all?

mike8863
06-06-2008, 02:19 PM
Are you a member of NADJ at all?

Hi Daz, no I'm not though another dj has mentioned it to me before. I'm guessing I would have a pool of dj's to tap into that wouldn't try and wangle in to my residency??.
I have a meeting with the general manager of the hotel on Tuesday am.

Mike