PDA

View Full Version : Questions from a first timer

karl james
05-06-2008, 07:37 PM
Hi everyone, just starting out doing kids parties but will be branching out to adult gigs. A couple of questions to put to you all.
Back up equipment--- Whats the minimum?
Whats the worst thing that could happen and how to deal with it at an adult party. I.E fight breaking out or drunken people falling onto the kit.

What should I expect from drunken adults.

Cheers

Penfold42
05-06-2008, 07:41 PM
Most of these questions have been covered....:) ....have you tryed this ^ the search button.....:)

It's up there 8 along....:)

karl james
05-06-2008, 07:44 PM
thanks for that will read and learn.

Penfold42
05-06-2008, 07:48 PM
thanks for that will read and learn.

If you have read of a thread and still find no answer to your question....then post on the thread....or start again....you will get plenty of replies. :)

As for drunken adults....comes with the job.....there's one at every gig......:D

Shaun
05-06-2008, 08:06 PM

Spare amp, spare mixer and spare music play out source (I used a cheap non DJ cd player for years as backup). That should be the bare minimum I reckon. If a speaker goes you could always get through the night using the remaining one.

I'd also recommend a basic tool kit and some spare wires (extension cable, extra phono cables, spare fuses etc)

Whats the worst thing that could happen and how to deal with it at an adult party. I.E fight breaking out or drunken people falling onto the kit.

Cheers

ANYTHING could happen when drunk people are involved. Diplomacy and a firm tone should be enough to deal with most drunk guests that get to near your equipment. Remember to add a section to your Terms & Conditions to cover you for damage to gear caused by client or guests.....just incase.

Excalibur
05-06-2008, 08:12 PM
As for drunken adults....comes with the job.....there's one at every gig......:D

Sometimes he's playing the music! ;) :D :D

karl james
05-06-2008, 08:24 PM
I dont mind people drunk its the worry of my kit getting trashed in a brawl.
Just gotta take it as I find it I guess.
Thanks for the back up advice. Had visions of me doubling up on everything.

cheers

Penfold42
05-06-2008, 08:30 PM
ANYTHING could happen when drunk people are involved. Diplomacy and a firm tone should be enough to deal with most drunk guests that get to near your equipment. Remember to add a section to your Terms & Conditions to cover you for damage to gear caused by client or guests.....just incase.

I dont mind people drunk its the worry of my kit getting trashed in a brawl.
Just gotta take it as I find it I guess.
Thanks for the back up advice. Had visions of me doubling up on everything.

cheers

It is a worry but then....you can pick and choose your gig's...if you get what i mean...but that's still not a cast iron proof way......get a T&C's in place....then that should cover you...

ppentertainments
05-06-2008, 09:58 PM
I have a clause in my terms and conditions where should I feel threatened personally or my equipment, I will turn the main lights on and turn the music down for ten minutes. If the situation calms then will carry on, if not will pack up and leave. Have had a few occasions where the lights have been turned on but very few and far between now - mainly doing weddings and hotel work now.

This seems to work although never had a night where their were a lot of people causing trouble. Normally it is the odd one or 2 and the lights coming on and music being quiet draws unwanted attention to them.

nigelwright7557
05-06-2008, 10:26 PM
Hi everyone, just starting out doing kids parties but will be branching out to adult gigs. A couple of questions to put to you all.

Cheers

I carry 2 of everything except speakers coz they are too big !

If you dont carry spare equipment then you are messing with sods law.
i.e. If you dont carry a spare then that bit will go wrong !

If your doing a gig less than a mile from home then perhaps you can get away with not carrying spares. But if it would take 10 minutes or more to go home for a spare then you should carry spares.

Solitaire Events Ltd
05-06-2008, 10:31 PM

Get some smaller ones then!

nigelwright7557
05-06-2008, 10:36 PM
Get some smaller ones then!

No !

I love my folded horn bass speakers.

The bigger one has a 18 inch Fane Collosus 600WRMS (2400W peak) speaker in it !
The bass from that is serious.

Considering getting a van or an estate when the car finally dies.....

Solitaire Events Ltd
05-06-2008, 10:45 PM
No !

I love my folded horn bass speakers.

The bigger one has a 18 inch Fane Collosus 600WRMS (2400W peak) speaker in it !
The bass from that is serious.

It's not size that counts...;)

nigelwright7557
05-06-2008, 10:47 PM
It's not size that counts...;)

Usually the bigger the speaker the better the lower bass response.

It gives out much more bass than my 15 inch folded horn and my 2 by 12 inch cabinets.

Shaun
05-06-2008, 10:48 PM
Have to admit, I carry spare of everything on the sound system, right down to a spare set of speakers. Only carry spare lamps for the lighting as it's not that important. Sound is more vital.

Solitaire Events Ltd
05-06-2008, 10:51 PM

And what kind of music will you be playing to justify that?

I heard the Void Acoustics Stasys system at PLASA which went down to 13Hz. That is low, but what would you be playing at a normal gig, where you'd need something that a normal 15" sub couldn't give you?

Tom
05-06-2008, 10:53 PM

It gives out much more bass than my 15 inch folded horn and my 2 by 12 inch cabinets.

It's all about the cab design really.

Without going too off tpoic have a look at this clip. I know its not a pa speakers but just watch it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKQTo0w5sNE

The only back I take it a spare mic, leads and lamps. Im saving up for the backup playout system and a few other things.

soundtracker
05-06-2008, 11:05 PM

If you dont carry spare equipment then you are messing with sods law.
i.e. If you dont carry a spare then that bit will go wrong !

If your doing a gig less than a mile from home then perhaps you can get away with not carrying spares. But if it would take 10 minutes or more to go home for a spare then you should carry spares.

You use just one speaker!!!!!!!!!!!!

nigelwright7557
05-06-2008, 11:17 PM
You use just one speaker!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol LMAO

I use two speakers just dont carry two sets..................