PDA

View Full Version : price hagling

gaza
07-06-2008, 09:06 AM
Had a call today, for someone that had taken the time to look at my website, then when they spoke to me on the phone, they started to hagle over the price.
I said " i am sorry but the price is not negotiable. Now, this Wedding reception is in a Venue that is about £2000 to hire :confused:

Makes you wonder, what is going on ?.

geoffrey
07-06-2008, 09:33 AM
they started to hagle over the price.

What's wrong with a little haggling, that’s business. Their job is to get you at the best price they can and yours is to get the best price you can. You can have a set price as does everyone but surely you don’t want to loss a job over £20or so. Also it depends how busy you are. Some times if I’m really busy and don’t care to much whether I get the job or not I do try my luck.
We’re all just as bad when we are looking for the cheapest price on gear. If someone knocks off a tenner on a lighting unit, I will return at a later date to buy more. That’s good business.:)

Solitaire Events Ltd
07-06-2008, 10:14 AM
I rarely get people trying to do this, but on the occasions they do, they always make a light hearted joke and say they had to try!

rob1963
07-06-2008, 10:21 AM
There is nothing wrong with clients trying to do a bit of haggling over our price, as it happens all over the place.

It's up to us whether we stick to our guns or not.

I've had a few people try haggling with me, and I've usually explained that my prices already represent excellent value for money, and are therefore not negotiable.

Vectis
07-06-2008, 10:21 AM
I'll rarely back down on price, but if I sense I might lose the sale and it's a desirable gig, I have been known to throw in the odd "freebie" like a bubble machine or a theme but nothing that's actually going to cost me more than a couple of quid.

CRAZY K
07-06-2008, 10:52 AM
What's wrong with a little haggling, that’s business. Their job is to get you at the best price they can and yours is to get the best price you can. You can have a set price as does everyone but surely you don’t want to loss a job over £20or so. Also it depends how busy you are. Some times if I’m really busy and don’t care to much whether I get the job or not I do try my luck.
We’re all just as bad when we are looking for the cheapest price on gear. If someone knocks off a tenner on a lighting unit, I will return at a later date to buy more. That’s good business.:)

Its easier to give a discount if your selling tangible repeat sale goods like Disco equipment--if your in a very labour intensive often one off business like Entertainment any reduction is effectively a direct reduction in your weekly earnings.

If asked for a lower price I think you would have to knock off £50 minimum.

We get a lot of " is that the best price"

I tend to say --Yes :rolleyes:

I know I have lost out on 2009 bookings through pricing but looking at petrol prices going up every day I think I have done the right thing sticking to my pricing.

For YP tyre kickers --one rang yesterday--once they have decided how much THEY want OR EXPECT to pay then I have found its not time and cost effective continuing the discussion--theres often another call coming through who wants to book you:D

CRAZY K

theoloyla
07-06-2008, 01:37 PM
Sometimes a deal can be struck. For instance a posh venue that I used to work at regularly wanted to haggle over my fee. I said I would agree but he had to give me my drinks on the house. Deal done.

Mister Musicman
07-06-2008, 02:32 PM
Ahaaa..the dreaded bargain hunters! :argue:

Most people like to feel that they have bought at a bargain price and the golden rule when being prepared to drop the price is DON'T GIVE IN TOO EASILY. You can give many reasons for reducing the price, but the main object of the exercise is to get a decision in your favour on the day, before they go elsewhere to try their luck. The only time I give a discount is if the package is altered. Just say something like: "for another price there is another package...you only get what you pay for, wouldn't you agree?"

Rob (Mister Musicman)
www.mistermusicman.co.uk

DazzyD
07-06-2008, 02:41 PM
Sometimes a deal can be struck. For instance a posh venue that I used to work at regularly wanted to haggle over my fee. I said I would agree but he had to give me my drinks on the house. Deal done.

This is a good compromise especially for any alcoholic DJs out there!

theoloyla
07-06-2008, 02:44 PM
This is a good compromise especially for any alcoholic DJs out there!
Unfortunately I usually have to drive home from gigs!:) :beer1:

Danno13
07-06-2008, 02:53 PM
Should have asked for a room as well then! :D

501damian501
07-06-2008, 02:54 PM
yeah dont give in at prices, you know its like going to the shop and hagling over a pint of milk or going to a car showroom stating you must have 25% knocked off due to abit of dust on the window screen, people will do most tricks and argue to their blue in the face over lowing a price so they get a deal, the best one is when people ring up saying theyve had a cheaper qoute else where, thats an excuse for you to lower your prices, but in a kinder way of saying it, what i tend to do is just leave £20 - £40 extra so if they do start hagling you can say right i,ll knock suching such off, but really you havent lost out, reguards damian