PDA

View Full Version : People notice....

Solitaire Events Ltd
08-06-2008, 06:27 PM
I worked in 2 different venues last weekend and had comments from staff at both venues.

Firstly, my roadie (who shall remain nameless) turned up in rather a creased looking Solitaire polo shirt with a nice stain on it. He has three, but didn't have time to sort the others out as we had been working elsewhere. Anyway, we got to the venue, set up and after chatting to the manager went off to get changed. For less formal weddings we wear white shirts, black trousers, black waistcoats and a black tie. When we came back after having changed, the manager said how smart we looked and how much better my roadie looked as he wasn't wearing the creased shirt with the stain on it.....

So it goes to show, that people do notice and little things count.

At another venue on Saturday the bar staff were saying how there was a disco there the week before and the DJ took up loads of room, had equipment everywhere, cables everywhere and talked after every song. They also mentioned how neat and tidy my gear was. :thumbsup:

djsteve10
08-06-2008, 06:39 PM
Ths is another point i like to make too, I wear sign written t-shirts, i also have fleeces, waterproofs & coats what all have my company logos on them,
To match this i wear combat trousers with trainers for setting up and this maintains a pro image when you are setting up, For all weddings i get changed into a Shirt, Trousers & A jacket, no tie unless specified, For the more formal weddings Black Tie (Formal Evening Wear) is required.

I have had many comments on how smart and professional i looked so this is a key element.

I also think when you go to the reception to find out where you are going to be working they know who you are straigt away with the name & logo on your clothing.

ppentertainments
08-06-2008, 06:45 PM
Have just had some polo shirts done and am really pleased. As you say it looks a lot more professional. Must admit I even wear them for weddings with trousers as they look as smart as a shirt. Really formal gigs still warrent the shirt and tie though. One thing I always do is wear one for setting up then get changed before starting. Nothing worse than a sweaty DJ.

PropellerHeadCase
08-06-2008, 06:47 PM
Talkative bar-staff are about the best barometer there is for DJs, I reckon, they get to see how the punters who aren't dancing are. A good DJ can make or break a night for the bar staff, too.

Nice one, Daz!

yourdj
08-06-2008, 06:59 PM
I wear a smart tucked in shirt and trousers. Do not see the point in wearing the whole DJ thing unless its an older function. i sweat my pants off anyway and i could not imagine setting up and playing in all of that.

Im young (ish) and not overweight which helps i think.

Im getting some really nice quality shirts done this week. not sure on colour, but i think black is a good idea?

Solitaire Events Ltd
08-06-2008, 07:13 PM
d i could not imagine setting up and playing in all of that.

Well you wouldn't would you. You'd set up in something else and then get changed.

This wasn't a thread about what to wear anyway, bu it does make me come back to my everything matters thread again.

A lot of DJs have the "I wear trousers and shirt as it's comfortable and I get too hot in a suit etc" attitude. Fine by me. We go that little bit extra as everything does matter.

The title of the thread is 'People notice' and they do.

Penfold42
08-06-2008, 07:22 PM
I had a compliment last night......nice lights....and best tunes I've heard in a long time.......

A lot of DJs have the "I wear trousers and shirt as it's comfortable and I get too hot in a suit etc" attitude. Fine by me. We go that little bit extra as everything does matter.

Here's a question without drifting too much....
Marquee last night....absolutely roasting.....took the suit jacket off half way through.....and got rid of the tie at the end.......Good or bad move?

Solitaire Events Ltd
08-06-2008, 07:26 PM
Jacket I would have no problem with, function depending, but tie I would have kept on personally.

Buy yourself a fan to take with you in non air conditioned venues Tony - I just bought a 16" oscillating one for abour £15.00

Penfold42
08-06-2008, 07:31 PM
Jacket I would have no problem with, function depending, but tie I would have kept on personally.

Buy yourself a fan to take with you in non air conditioned venues Tony - I just bought a 16" oscillating one for abour £15.00

Thank you...and taken on board....:)
*It was bloody hot though....*

Solitaire Events Ltd
08-06-2008, 07:34 PM
Thank you...and taken on board....:)
*It was bloody hot though....*

First one I found...http://www.comet.co.uk/shopcomet/product/163783/PROLINE-PSF160

Sapphire Disco
08-06-2008, 07:36 PM
At another venue on Saturday the bar staff were saying how there was a disco there the week before and the DJ took up loads of room, had equipment everywhere, cables everywhere and talked after every song. They also mentioned how neat and tidy my gear was. :thumbsup:[/QUOTE]

Wasn't me was it ?

Shakermaker Promotions
08-06-2008, 11:21 PM
You are right....people DO notice. I tend to wear a shirt and trousers etc for all my functions. It's not worth me buying polo shirts as my tattoos would be on show and at the end of the day, some people go on first impressions so once again...they DO notice. I don't want them to think negatives of me before I even play a track.

Excalibur
09-06-2008, 06:13 AM
I had a compliment last night......nice lights....and best tunes I've heard in a long time.......

Here's a question without drifting too much....
Marquee last night....absolutely roasting.....took the suit jacket off half way through.....and got rid of the tie at the end.......Good or bad move?

At a former posh residency ( Another Castle, and you lot thought I only did spit and sawdust ones :p :D ) I would always start the night in suit and tie, and end it wearing less. Some nights I'fd have gleefully taken the shirt off.:eek:
Sorry Darren if you think the DJ should remain fully dressed throughout, but on a decent night, I'd have worked myself into a lather with the rest of the crowd. Perhaps if this digital thing works I'll have a more restful time? :confused: :D :D

soundtracker
09-06-2008, 07:47 AM
As my Groom said saturday night - "Wow, I wasn't expecting you to look that smart!" People do notice!

Solitaire Events Ltd
09-06-2008, 12:43 PM
At another venue on Saturday the bar staff were saying how there was a disco there the week before and the DJ took up loads of room, had equipment everywhere, cables everywhere and talked after every song. They also mentioned how neat and tidy my gear was. :thumbsup:

Wasn't me was it ?[/QUOTE]

No, I know you don't talk after every song....:p

videoguy
09-06-2008, 02:10 PM
I went to a wedding doo a couple of weeks ago with a mate of mine, he took one look at the DJ who was dressed in black slacks, white shirt, black waste coat and bow tie and said "looks like were in for a good night" why's that i asked, "Well the DJ looks a proper knob for one"

Just a thought! first impresions and all that.

Chris

Penfold42
09-06-2008, 02:13 PM
And what did you reply out of intrest?

Solitaire Events Ltd
09-06-2008, 02:18 PM
I went to a wedding doo a couple of weeks ago with a mate of mine, he took one look at the DJ who was dressed in black slacks, white shirt, black waste coat and bow tie and said "looks like were in for a good night" why's that i asked, "Well the DJ looks a proper knob for one"

Just a thought! first impresions and all that.

Chris

And why would a DJ dressed smartly and who looked professional "look like a knob"? :confused:

Penfold42
09-06-2008, 02:26 PM
....what i was thinking...

rob1963
09-06-2008, 02:35 PM
And why would a DJ dressed smartly and who looked professional "look like a knob"? :confused:

....what i was thinking...

I know what he means.....

.....even when I put a suit on, I STILL look like a knob!

:Laugh:

Sam
09-06-2008, 02:39 PM
I know what he means.....

.....even when I put a suit on, I STILL look like a knob!

I'm sure you look lovely :D :D

rob1963
09-06-2008, 02:41 PM
I'm sure you look lovely :D :D

Don't start all THAT again Sam!

Sam
09-06-2008, 02:46 PM
Haha!
I don't know what you mean!!

But i do see why someone could think you look a knob if you turn up all smart.
Just in the same way that if I walk around Yeovil (very chavvy place) in a suit or even just a smart casual (smasual) shirt.. I can get a lot of rude comments.. But i guess if you are used to living in trackies and a hoody.. you might think it is a bit odd!

Corabar Steve
09-06-2008, 02:58 PM
Yeovil must've changed since I was last there (Family from Yeovil, Langport & Martock)

Sam
09-06-2008, 03:02 PM
Yeovil must've changed since I was last there (Family from Yeovil, Langport & Martock)

It seems to.
Most people say they are more scared in Yeovil than they are when in London or other big cities.. which says something :o

I quite like it. I went to Primary School, Secondary School and College in Yeovil... I jsut don't like some of the inhabitants.. and it is often called Chav Central. :rolleyes:

Anyway.. general point was about the comments of what you wear.
It happens in most places though in all sorts of clothing.. such as wearing a Manu top in Weymouth.. gets quite a few rude comments :D

All good fun though.

Corabar Steve
09-06-2008, 03:10 PM
I think I look a knob in formal wear, although I would never wear
black slacks, white shirt, black waste coat and bow tie
It you're doing formal than it has to be full dress suit (with or without waistcoat) No jacket for formal a do is a no no, as would be slacks or any other form of trouser other than the other half of the suit.

From the description in the quote it sounds like you copped the stereotypical function DJ, who thinks you have to dress like that for every function.

Solitaire Events Ltd
09-06-2008, 03:19 PM
I think I look a knob in formal wear, although I would never wear
It you're doing formal than it has to be full dress suit (with or without waistcoat) No jacket for formal a do is a no no, as would be slacks or any other form of trouser other than the other half of the suit.

From the description in the quote it sounds like you copped the stereotypical function DJ, who thinks you have to dress like that for every function.

I would rather a DJ dressed like that than most other DJs that I've seen in the wrong attire for the function.

And sorry, but it doesn't have to be a full dress suit at all. That would only be necessary for Masonic type or 'official' functions where black tie means just that. There are a lot of other combinations that can be used too if you have a client who wants the DJ in black tie but without the traditions.

It comes back to the everything matters thread again.

I know you Steve and don't take you at face value, but if you turned up looking the way you do with your tats, piercings and long hair/beard combo, it would worry me slightly as that isn't the image you might want to portray for a high class venue.

And yes, I know you work in all sorts of venues, but I'm just giving that as an example. :)

Corabar Steve
09-06-2008, 03:32 PM
http://smilies.vidahost.com/contrib/tweetz/moon.gif

Solitaire Events Ltd
09-06-2008, 03:42 PM

Fair enough...:D

rob1963
09-06-2008, 03:47 PM

Steve not having an answer?

That MUST be a first!

:D

theoloyla
09-06-2008, 04:12 PM
I always tend to overdress and look smart. We had this discussion before about dress. As you may recall I dont subscribe to the black dinner jacket brigade. I dress formally in a maroon velvet dinner jacket with black lapels, waist coat and coloured bow tie with black shoes and trousers. In the summer I substitute a white tuxedo. Darren is absolutely right - people do notice. Once the evening is underway if it gets warm or if I feel I am overdressed then I remove the jacket. Very rarely will I remove the waistcoat and tie. I get John Virgo jibes but no one has said I look like a knob.

robbiedj
09-06-2008, 04:54 PM
Jacket often comes off. Tie depends on event, but, as it is a tied one, I might just undo it, letting it stay there. Just tell people it's the Bond look. :D

wensleydale
09-06-2008, 06:42 PM
people notice but at the same time if people decide not to book me because I am not wearing a suit then fair enough- its a gig i am willing to lose.

we discussed this ages ago and employess of many ftse companines dont wear suits anymore so i dont see a problem with not wearing one for a disco.

never had a comment on it and whilst there is a chance that people are secretly shocked I guess I can live with that.

I actually saw a djs website once which had an faq of
"will the dj wear black tie" to which he responded "no. it makes me look like a waiter and i dont feel comfortable in it."

I gave him respect for being honest.

Solitaire Events Ltd
09-06-2008, 06:50 PM
Everything matters.

PropellerHeadCase
09-06-2008, 07:51 PM
For me I find that retaining the jacket looks and feels odd. Few people I've seen continue to wear a jacket whilst working if there is any physicality to the job... that said, even if I've taken it off previously I always have the jacket on for the first dance or three (looks good in the videos/photos ;) ).

Penfold42
09-06-2008, 07:52 PM
Everything matters.

...and everthing counts....:)

Solitaire Events Ltd
09-06-2008, 07:54 PM
Few people I've seen continue to wear a jacket whilst working if there is any physicality to the job

Like Hotel staff for example? ;)

ppentertainments
09-06-2008, 07:55 PM
...and everthing counts....:)

I agree but the dress sense must fit the venue, crowd, age, type of function etc etc. As must other aspects of the disco ie lighting, size etc etc.

Tom
09-06-2008, 07:59 PM
As for clothing I usually wear black shirt, black trousers and black shoes. If I get hot, well tuff

For wedding I wear a full suit. If I do get really hot I will only take of the jacket but the tie stays on.

For kits partys I wear company logo polo tshirt, jeans and black shoes. This usually cool enough to work.

For the rig I try to keep it as tidy as possible. I always try to get in and setup as quick as possible.

Penfold42
09-06-2008, 08:00 PM
I agree but the dress sense must fit the venue, crowd, age, type of function etc etc. As must other aspects of the disco ie lighting, size etc etc.

I find myself wearing a back suit bow tie to most functions now apart from school gig's then black trousers, casual shirt and tie......and I like the look.....

....and so do most of my customers......which counts the most to me.:)

ppentertainments
09-06-2008, 08:34 PM
I find myself wearing a back suit bow tie to most functions now apart from school gig's then black trousers, casual shirt and tie......and I like the look.....

....and so do most of my customers......which counts the most to me.:)

Thats all that matters - your happy and the customers happy.

Penfold42
09-06-2008, 09:08 PM
Thats all that matters - your happy and the customers happy.

Only wish I could have a few beers whilst doing it.......:sofa:

:D :D :D

ppentertainments
09-06-2008, 09:12 PM
Only wish I could have a few beers whilst doing it.......:sofa:

:D :D :D

And wear something comfy :D :D

Corabar Steve
10-06-2008, 06:58 AM
Steve not having an answer?

That MUST be a first!

I did, that was my answer.

Boogie Boy
10-06-2008, 08:40 AM
Simple question: How many times have you been in the company of someone wearing a suit who looks uncomfortable and actually doesn't look any better than they might look in something less formal? Almost every high street/household name tries to get their staff to look smart..does it work and is the wearing of a suit something of a businesss cliche? If you're going to attempt to look smart, you have to be able to pull it off. Not everyone is able to do so.

I know some events can be formal, BUT is there any real need to extend the formality by a DJ over-dressing? At weddings, most people will be decked out in their finest clothes (hired or otherwise). However, they're probably all wishing they could get into some more casual gear, especially in the heat of summer, don't you think?

Personally, you could dress me in a £1000 suit and I'd still look a mess, so I tend to wear dark trousers, shirt and tie (tie, only if absolutely necessary as I loathe them).

rob1963
10-06-2008, 08:43 AM
I did, that was my answer.

I'll re-phrase then...

...Steve not having a VERBAL answer!

Corabar Steve
10-06-2008, 09:07 AM
I'll re-phrase then...

...Steve not having a VERBAL answer!

Written (or rather typed) surely?

rob1963
10-06-2008, 09:20 AM
Written (or rather typed) surely?

Indeed.

Penfold42
10-06-2008, 09:22 AM
It's like watching tennis.....:D

rob1963
10-06-2008, 09:26 AM
It's like watching tennis.....:D

DazzyD
10-06-2008, 10:10 AM
I wouldn't assume to know what our clients want us to wear so we give them the option of what the DJ wears - either formal dress(full suit & tie) or smart casual (dark trousers, company polo shirt/t-shirt). In all these years I've worn the suit once for a disco function although I have a lightweight casual-style suit specially for the karaoke shows (or sometimes I wear my wacky magnum-PI type shirts for karaoke!)

theoloyla
10-06-2008, 03:40 PM
Simple question: How many times have you been in the company of someone wearing a suit who looks uncomfortable and actually doesn't look any better than they might look in something less formal? Almost every high street/household name tries to get their staff to look smart..does it work and is the wearing of a suit something of a businesss cliche? If you're going to attempt to look smart, you have to be able to pull it off. Not everyone is able to do so.

I know some events can be formal, BUT is there any real need to extend the formality by a DJ over-dressing? At weddings, most people will be decked out in their finest clothes (hired or otherwise). However, they're probably all wishing they could get into some more casual gear, especially in the heat of summer, don't you think?

Personally, you could dress me in a £1000 suit and I'd still look a mess, so I tend to wear dark trousers, shirt and tie (tie, only if absolutely necessary as I loathe them).
You are limiting yourself again. Smart clothes dont have to be uncomfortable. If you get hot buy a lightweight suit. If you find that a collar and tie choke you you have got the wrong size collar or are tying the tie too tight. I mostly work with the jacket off - but it stays on until after the forst dance at weddings or the action starts at other gigs. Didnt you used to be in the armed forces Steve? You should be used to wearing a uniform.

Sam
10-06-2008, 04:02 PM
You are limiting yourself again. Smart clothes dont have to be uncomfortable. If you get hot buy a lightweight suit. If you find that a collar and tie choke you you have got the wrong size collar or are tying the tie too tight. I mostly work with the jacket off - but it stays on until after the forst dance at weddings or the action starts at other gigs. Didnt you used to be in the armed forces Steve? You should be used to wearing a uniform.

No but I don't think suits are the answer to everything.
If I had turned up wearing a suit to come gigs that I have done.. I would have been lynched. :rolleyes:

Boogie Boy
10-06-2008, 05:24 PM

I'm just not a suit guy (I think it stems from a time when I saved up my pennies to buy a green made to measure suit that turned out to be brown when I picked it up. Being made to measure and I being relatively young, I was forced to accept it. It scarred me for life... I still have nightmares) and don't feel comfortable in them. I feel rather false, as if I'm wearing a mask. All my shirts are fine, collar-wise.

No, I was never in the armed forces.

Solitaire Events Ltd
10-06-2008, 05:33 PM
I'm just not a suit guy

So just out of interest, if you were booked for a formal 'black tie' event or even an event which required you to wear a suit, would you turn the booking down, just go dressed as you wanted or wear what was required?

Sam
10-06-2008, 05:37 PM
Wouldn't the green suit have been worse?

PropellerHeadCase
10-06-2008, 06:39 PM
Depends on the shade of green and his colouring - British Racing Green or Moss could work.

Sam
10-06-2008, 06:45 PM
Depends on the shade of green and his colouring - British Racing Green or Moss could work.

Don't you mean british racing green with some nice cream speed "go faster" stripes? :D

robbiedj
10-06-2008, 07:49 PM
Wouldn't the green suit have been worse?

Didn't do Peter Duncan any harm. :sarc:

PropellerHeadCase
10-06-2008, 08:09 PM
Don't you mean british racing green with some nice cream speed "go faster" stripes? :D

I generally try and keep the concepts of "cream" and "go faster" out of the same sentence, but whatever :eek:

Sam
10-06-2008, 08:10 PM
I generally try and keep the concepts of "cream" and "go faster" out of the same sentence, but whatever :eek:

Hahaha!
I have to congratulate you on your wit :D

Boogie Boy
10-06-2008, 09:44 PM
So just out of interest, if you were booked for a formal 'black tie' event or even an event which required you to wear a suit, would you turn the booking down, just go dressed as you wanted or wear what was required?

I don't do formal and not at all interested in working for people who think such dress for a DJ is absolutely necessary. I wonder if the people at such events really expect the DJ to dress in a similar manner to them? Some undoubtedly will, but others...? Or is it a question of DJs somehow thinking they're actually part of what's going on (or wishing they were part of it) and getting some kind of ego boost from dressing like it? Though we live in a meritocracy nowadays and old school snobbishness has almost been eradicated, sadly it has been replaced by the nouveau riche and their own inferior, even fiercer brand of it. :(

SO, in answer to your question. I expect to be employed on my own terms, and accepted for who I am. Formal dress or lack of it doesn't in any way affect my ability to do the job. All it does is appease (and appeal to) the snobs among us, IMHO.

Sam
10-06-2008, 09:47 PM
. Formal dress or lack of it doesn't in any way affect my ability to do the job. All it does is appease (and appeal to) the snobs among us, IMHO.

You sure know how to make friends... :rolleyes:

Solitaire Events Ltd
10-06-2008, 09:56 PM
You really appear to be rebelling against something Steve, but I can't work out exactly what.

You seem to want things all your own way and not try and please the client as most people in business would.

You won't wear what they want, you won't play what they want.

Formal dress doesn't affect the way we do the job, so does that mean you could turn up in a track suit and look OK? No, of course not, you'd probably wear smart/casual wear, and why? Because you'd look ridiculous in a tracksuit when everyone else is wearing something different.

We constantly get told how smart we look. We make the effort for the client, which is important to us. Presentation is very important and does not affect our ability to do the job. In fact it has nothing whatsoever to do with it.

Appeasing and appealing to snobs? Ego boost from dressing like it? More comments intending to get a rise out of people no doubt. My DJs are part of what's going on. Perhaps you just stand there, not playing what the client wants and not dressing how they want and not get involved, but we do.

We dress for the occasion, play what is necessary and get as involved as the client wants us to. It's all part of the service. Nothing to do with ego, ability to do the job or being a snob.

Boogie Boy
10-06-2008, 10:15 PM
Darren: I've lived a lot longer than you and come across far too many people in suits that didn't belong in them in those extra years. All too often, I find them and formal wear a rather meaningless masquerade (isn't occasional alliteration good for the soul?) that stifle social intercourse.

Sam: Your comment is typical of modern thinking and shows how shallow and judgemental society has become. Just give it some thought. You may end up being enlightened.....or not.

Sam
10-06-2008, 10:17 PM
Darren: I've lived a lot longer than you and come across far too many people in suits that didn't belong in them in those extra years. All too often, I find them and formal wear a rather meaningless masquerade (isn't occasional alliteration good for the soul?) that stifle social intercourse.

Sam: Your comment is typical of modern thinking and shows how shallow and judgemental society has become. Just give it some thought. You may end up being enlightened.....or not.

Firstly.. I think you are putting a constructive argument forward... good on you.

My problem, however, was the reference to snobs.. :rolleyes:

Solitaire Events Ltd
10-06-2008, 10:30 PM
All too often, I find them and formal wear a rather meaningless masquerade that stifle social intercourse.

Are we still talking about looking smart for a function and wearing black tie for a black tie event?

Or are we getting very pretentious with our social commentary.

theoloyla
10-06-2008, 10:57 PM
I don't do formal and not at all interested in working for people who think such dress for a DJ is absolutely necessary. I wonder if the people at such events really expect the DJ to dress in a similar manner to them? Some undoubtedly will, but others...? Or is it a question of DJs somehow thinking they're actually part of what's going on (or wishing they were part of it) and getting some kind of ego boost from dressing like it? Though we live in a meritocracy nowadays and old school snobbishness has almost been eradicated, sadly it has been replaced by the nouveau riche and their own inferior, even fiercer brand of it. :(

SO, in answer to your question. I expect to be employed on my own terms, and accepted for who I am. Formal dress or lack of it doesn't in any way affect my ability to do the job. All it does is appease (and appeal to) the snobs among us, IMHO.
I dont dress the same as my customers. I am an entertainer - an artiste. In the same way that a toastmaster wears a red jacket to a formal function I set myself apart from the guests by wearing clothes that are still formal but distinct from the audience.

Boogie Boy
10-06-2008, 11:25 PM
I dont dress the same as my customers. I am an entertainer - an artiste. In the same way that a toastmaster wears a red jacket to a formal function I set myself apart from the guests by wearing clothes that are still formal but distinct from the audience.

I can agree more with this than some other posts, as your post implies that an entertainer wears a uniform, but that uniform should be left to the entertainer's discretion. Also, I don't think DJs have been DJing long enough for them to have a traditional dress form (as in the toastmaster's case).

So, the question still needs adressing. When, if ever, did a DJ in formal wear (at formal events) become de rigeur, or is smart casual, or possibly even something totally outlandish, what everyone might expect a DJ to wear? Loud shirts anyone?

Sam: Why the problem with the word snob being used? Virtually everyone's snobbish about something or other.

Darren: Grammar School education....not pretentiousness and yes, the comment was on topic.

Sam
10-06-2008, 11:26 PM
Sam: Why the problem with the word snob being used? Virtually everyone's snobbish about something or other.

Well yes.. fair point!!
I am just touchy about toff comments. I mistook it!

Solitaire Events Ltd
10-06-2008, 11:27 PM
Darren: Grammar School education....not pretentiousness and yes, the comment was on topic.

Ah, I understand now.

You are an inverted snob. :D

soundtracker
11-06-2008, 07:32 AM
My Grammar School education doesn't prevent me from wearing a Dinner Suit - it does however give me an ability to deal with spoiled little rich kids who have done nothing more than been advantageously sprogged!

Boogie Boy
11-06-2008, 08:09 AM
My Grammar School education doesn't prevent me from wearing a Dinner Suit - it does however give me an ability to deal with spoiled little rich kids who have done nothing more than been advantageously sprogged!

Erm, please explain what that has to do with anything, within the context of this thread?

Boogie Boy
11-06-2008, 08:27 AM
Ah, I understand now.

You are an inverted snob. :D

So, which version of inverted snob am I?

Am I the rich/priviledged guy who feels guilty and tries to dispel anything that associates him with his status,
or the poor guy who simply hates the upper classes?

I'd like to know.

soundtracker
11-06-2008, 08:29 AM
Erm, please explain what that has to do with anything, within the context of this thread?

So your grammar school education was wasted then?

soundtracker
11-06-2008, 08:31 AM
So, which version of inverted snob am I?

Am I the rich/priviledged guy who feels guilty and tries to dispel anything that associates him with his status,
or the poor guy who simply hates the upper classes?

I'd like to know.

You be better off discussing this with a shrink, rather than a bunch of DJs! I don't think we can help you here.

Boogie Boy
11-06-2008, 08:47 AM
You be better off discussing this with a shrink, rather than a bunch of DJs! I don't think we can help you here.

I Thought Darren was playing at being a shrink.:p Hence my question addressed TO HIM!!!

So your grammar school education was wasted then?

Dodging the question, were we?

soundtracker
11-06-2008, 08:52 AM
I Thought Darren was playing at being a shrink.:p Hence my question addressed TO HIM!!!

Dodging the question, were we?

Not at all - but if you can't be bothered to read, I sure as hell ain't gonna waste my time explaining. Now go and be obnoxious somewhere else.

Boogie Boy
11-06-2008, 09:01 AM
Not at all - but if you can't be bothered to read, I sure as hell ain't gonna waste my time explaining. Now go and be obnoxious somewhere else.

You're the only person being obnoxious, IMO.

soundtracker
11-06-2008, 09:11 AM

Hmmmmmm!

DazzyD
11-06-2008, 09:17 AM

I think Theo is totally spot on here. That's why I don't like dressing the same as everyone else at the venue (unless absolutely necessary by client request). I'm not there in the same capacity as the guests so why do I need to look the same? If I stand out from the crowd then people know I'm the DJ and that I'm the one they can ask to play their requests. I've lost track of the number of the times I've been using the urinals and someone says "Ah, you're the DJ! Can you play XXXX for me?". If I'm wearing the same as the guests the conversation would probably be "So, which side of the family are you from then?" or "How do you know the bride and groom?".

I have had one request to be suited and booted in 9 years and this was for a very formal presentation evening with local press photographers and a videographer there. I've done more work for this client since and she's never requested the suit again (maybe I looked really bad in it, I don't know!).

There was a comment earlier in the thread about waiters wearing suits. That's true but the vast majority of silver service/waiting/bar staff that I've encountered all are set apart by company logos on their uniform whether it's logos on their shirts/blouses or on their jackets/waistcoats. So they do still stand out from the guests.

PropellerHeadCase
11-06-2008, 09:18 AM
Thanks for wasting my time guys. Spats via IM, please?

Boogie Boy
11-06-2008, 09:55 AM
That's some of us in agreement, then (concerning the need for formal dress as a DJ, when all around are dressed in an identical manner).

As for jogging bottoms or trainers etc. It never seemed to harm Sir Jimmy Savile OBE. In fact, standing out from the crowd positively helped him.

DazzyD
11-06-2008, 09:59 AM
As for jogging bottoms or trainers etc. It never seemed to harm Sir Jimmy Savile OBE. In fact, standing out from the crowd positively helped him. Now then, Now then!

Penfold42
11-06-2008, 10:11 AM
:lol:.......:D

Solitaire Events Ltd
11-06-2008, 11:23 AM

Yeah, we have had loads of people moaning about Pete being obnoxious.....

soundtracker
11-06-2008, 11:25 AM
Yeah, we have had loads of people moaning about Pete being obnoxious.....

That's me Stinky Pete!

Solitaire Events Ltd
11-06-2008, 11:25 AM
Thanks for wasting my time guys. Spats via IM, please?

Sorry, but don't read the thread then. No-one is forcing anyone to read this thread or forum.

FYI there is one person causing the problems and I have spoken to him via email but he is insistant on causing problems and annoying people.

CRAZY K
11-06-2008, 12:22 PM
That's some of us in agreement, then (concerning the need for formal dress as a DJ, when all around are dressed in an identical manner).

As for jogging bottoms or trainers etc. It never seemed to harm Sir Jimmy Savile OBE. In fact, standing out from the crowd positively helped him.

So which B and G want trainers and track suit bottoms at their upmarket reception--

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Then again Barn Dance Callers are EXPECTED to turn up in fancy dress

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

CRAZY K

Sam
11-06-2008, 12:31 PM
Or you are a rich guy who has inherited wealth and does discos to make him feel like he is doing something worth while in his life and is actually doing something to "earn" his own cash.

If not.. you do a fantastic job of coming across like it :rolleyes:

DazzyD
11-06-2008, 12:33 PM
So which B and G want trainers and track suit bottoms at their upmarket reception--

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Then again Barn Dance Callers are EXPECTED to turn up in fancy dress

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

CRAZY K

Wayne Rooney and Colleen are getting married soon, aren't they? Tracksuits and trainers all round there, I'd say! Chav wedding of the year!

PropellerHeadCase
11-06-2008, 09:15 PM
Sorry, but don't read the thread then. No-one is forcing anyone to read this thread or forum.

FYI there is one person causing the problems and I have spoken to him via email but he is insistant on causing problems and annoying people.

C'mon, Daz, I'm aware that I can 'change the channel' - there maybe one instigator but now there is outright baiting going on... seems pointless (and a waste of server disc space ;) ).

Boogie Boy
11-06-2008, 10:55 PM

And for once that one person isn't me

Just thought I'd let everyone know, just in case they have been lead to think ill of me, due to the ambiguity of Darren's post.

Sam
11-06-2008, 10:57 PM
Why would you think Darren had implied it was you??;)
Unless you were feeling guilty about something.. :rolleyes:

:p

Excalibur
12-06-2008, 06:29 AM
And for once that one person isn't me

Just thought I'd let everyone know, just in case they have been lead to think ill of me, due to the ambiguity of Darren's post.

I can assure you that nobody on here will think ill of you due to the ambiguity of Darren's post.

You achieve that yourself every time you post something. Soundtracker and I have had a very serious run in in the past, but as adults we have put it behind us, and on this subject I have to say I agree with everything he has said in this thread.

theoloyla
12-06-2008, 01:07 PM
I can agree more with this than some other posts, as your post implies that an entertainer wears a uniform, but that uniform should be left to the entertainer's discretion. Also, I don't think DJs have been DJing long enough for them to have a traditional dress form (as in the toastmaster's case).

So, the question still needs adressing. When, if ever, did a DJ in formal wear (at formal events) become de rigeur, or is smart casual, or possibly even something totally outlandish, what everyone might expect a DJ to wear? Loud shirts anyone?

Glad you can see that. I prefer to call it a costume rather than a uniform. As for not long enough for tradition - you are probably right although half a century is a pretty long time. Possibly the biggest reason why a standard of dress hasnt been accepted is because of slovenly dj's who wear casual clothes to a formal do and thereby show a lack of respect to their audience on the basis that they dont feel comfortable in formal wear. But then respect for standards and society in general have gone down the plughole over the last 50 years; so it is no surprise.

Boogie Boy
12-06-2008, 01:28 PM
Glad you can see that. I prefer to call it a costume rather than a uniform. As for not long enough for tradition - you are probably right although half a century is a pretty long time. Possibly the biggest reason why a standard of dress hasnt been accepted is because of slovenly dj's who wear casual clothes to a formal do and thereby show a lack of respect to their audience on the basis that they dont feel comfortable in formal wear. But then respect for standards and society in general have gone down the plughole over the last 50 years; so it is no surprise.

I'd like to think that society has become less formal and smart casual has become acceptable in any company, something pioneered by our generation whether we like it or not. I tend to think that generally formal dress is somehow associated with money, prestige, exclusivity and the like by some. However, that isn't necessarily true is it? For example, how many guests might you see at top hotels, fashionable clubs etc wearing jeans or more casual gear? Doesn't mean they don't have the money or prestige to be there does it, or that they're disrespectful to those who do dress more formally?

Casual or smart casual doesn't have to mean cheap, whereas a cheap second hand dress suit can be bought from almost any charity shop nowadays.;)

theoloyla
12-06-2008, 01:39 PM
I'd like to think that society has become less formal and smart casual has become acceptable in any company, something pioneered by our generation whether we like it or not. I tend to think that generally formal dress is somehow associated with money, prestige, exclusivity and the like by some. However, that isn't necessarily true is it? For example, how many guests might you see at top hotels, fashionable clubs etc wearing jeans or more casual gear? Doesn't mean they don't have the money or prestige to be there does it, or that they're disrespectful to those who do dress more formally?

Casual or smart casual doesn't have to mean cheap,
What you say is true but I dont like it and I dont agree with it. Lots of things are accepted nowadays because of the change in values and morals that has come about since the decline of respect post "Jailhouse Rock". I dont see that formal dress has to be "associated with money, prestige, exclusivity" just good manners which so few people seem to have these days. You are quite right that even someone on modest income can show the proper etiquette by buying a second had dinner suit from a charity shop but instead many people say I dont care about other people I am gonna wear what I like because its all about me me me today. Individuality over common good.

Boogie Boy
12-06-2008, 02:03 PM
What you say is true but I dont like it and I dont agree with it. Lots of things are accepted nowadays because of the change in values and morals that has come about since the decline of respect post "Jailhouse Rock". I dont see that formal dress has to be "associated with money, prestige, exclusivity" just good manners which so few people seem to have these days. You are quite right that even someone on modest income can show the proper etiquette by buying a second had dinner suit from a charity shop but instead many people say I dont care about other people I am gonna wear what I like because its all about me me me today. Individuality over common good.

Maybe the cut off point for 'my generation' is 57 years old.:p

Well twisted around, BTW.

Ryu
12-06-2008, 02:13 PM
I like to try and gauge how I dress by going one step up from expected dresscode...I enjoy looking smarter than my audience, not only does it make a good impression, but gives the impression I'm confident and in control and professional (even if that may not always be true!)

I have always enjoyed wearing a nice suit jacket anyway...

theoloyla
12-06-2008, 02:14 PM
Maybe the cut off point for 'my generation' is 57 years old.:p

Well twisted around, BTW.
You could sadly be right.:)

Dragonfly
12-06-2008, 02:21 PM

I agree Theo my dinner suit cost me £1.50 , good post imo I still wear a shirt and tie to the theatre when I go ??? to be honest I can't say why?? just something I have always done and will continue to do. and also although i do wear a bow tie to most functions or my well known purple tie with black shirt for the reasons you stated earlier.

I remember a few years ago doing a gig in a secondary school I was working in and a fair amount of the kids turned up in their "alternative" "goth" clothes I'm unsure of the right terminology these days but my welcome was along the lines of "Good evening everyone and welcome to xxx school disco , a big hello to our alternative crowd too who in their endless quest for individuality have all successfully come dressed the same" :D :D :D :D :D

the teachers thought it hilarious and it was in some part payback for the miserable 9 months most of those involved had given me. and not something I have or would ever do again but I knew them and was leaving after that day.

CRAZY K
12-06-2008, 02:46 PM

CHECK SHIRTS---YEAH!

IMO DJs using formal wear probably comes from the time when the Entertainment was always a Band until the late 60s.( when I started)

To prove this theres a photo of me at the back of my Office/ Workroom/Sound Studio/ Store doing a gig wearing a bow tie circa 1969.

So thats where I would suggest it comes from.

I dont recall wearing one once we moved in to the fab 70s, Glitter,
T Rex, Slade, Bowie --no bow ties necessary!!!

Then again theres another one of a Youth Club gig around 1968 working with Alan Fluff Freeman wearing----errr a Cowboy style hat!

Thats me not Fluff!

To complete the circle--today I got a note from the Table Tennis League I play in saying that after 1000 years of hiring a Band for the Annual Dinner--they are switching to a Disco next year---

Cost reduction ??

Nothing to do with it!!!!!!!!!!

CRAZY K

Boogie Boy
12-06-2008, 04:18 PM
You could sadly be right.:)

:eek: :eek: :eek:

What did I do to deserve your wrath?

pdarnett
12-06-2008, 06:53 PM
Unfortunately its seems we now have two classes of human beings in this country as I observed at a wedding last week, those people that recognise that a certain mode of dress and behaviour is required at these kind of functions and those that believe they are above any retribution and can turn up to a wedding in a football shirt and jeans, complete with thick gold ish jewellery and baseball perched on the back of the head, then get pished be very loud, sweary and rude to other guests cos its a laff wiv all der mates [sic]. And nobody says a word for fear of getting a knife in the ribs or run over by some car that once used to be a Saxo.

BTW I had a suit on for that function, not like one guy that had a smart shirt and tie, then adidas tracksuit bottoms and his reeboks !!

So don't be scared to be smart and respect the occasion, rather than blending in and being just another chav.

Tom
12-06-2008, 06:59 PM
I agree Theo my dinner suit cost me £1.50.

You should be able to get it for £1 as you won't be able to fill one of the legs.:eek: :sofa: :beer1: :beer1: :beer1: (light heart joke)

Dragonfly
12-06-2008, 07:09 PM
You should be able to get it for £1 as you won't be able to fill one of the legs.:eek: :sofa: :beer1: :beer1: :beer1: (light heart joke)

very good point ......i've been ripped off :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :beer1: :beer1:

ppentertainments
12-06-2008, 08:55 PM
Unfortunately its seems we now have two classes of human beings in this country as I observed at a wedding last week, those people that recognise that a certain mode of dress and behaviour is required at these kind of functions and those that believe they are above any retribution and can turn up to a wedding in a football shirt and jeans, complete with thick gold ish jewellery and baseball perched on the back of the head, then get pished be very loud, sweary and rude to other guests cos its a laff wiv all der mates [sic]. And nobody says a word for fear of getting a knife in the ribs or run over by some car that once used to be a Saxo.

BTW I had a suit on for that function, not like one guy that had a smart shirt and tie, then adidas tracksuit bottoms and his reeboks !!

So don't be scared to be smart and respect the occasion, rather than blending in and being just another chav.

I have noticed how few people come to weddings without a shirt and tie. If it was my wedding I think I would find it offensive.

theoloyla
13-06-2008, 07:24 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek:

What did I do to deserve your wrath?
I'm not angry with you.

robbiedj
14-06-2008, 12:35 PM
those that believe they are above any retribution and can turn up to a wedding in a football shirt and jeans, complete with thick gold ish jewellery and baseball perched on the back of the head, then get pished be very loud, sweary and rude to other guests cos its a laff wiv all der mates [sic].

And are often not allowed into the better class venues, who have their own dress code and stick to it.

Dragonfly
14-06-2008, 01:44 PM
I once did a wedding where one guest turned up head to foot in Burberry .... I mean cap , shirt , trousers , socks , shoes the works and yes the Burberry check every garment. i was gutted i didn't have a camera.

theoloyla
14-06-2008, 03:37 PM
I once did a wedding where one guest turned up head to foot in Burberry .... I mean cap , shirt , trousers , socks , shoes the works and yes the Burberry check every garment. i was gutted i didn't have a camera.
Before the chav's highjacked it Burberry was very upmarket.

Boogie Boy
14-06-2008, 04:10 PM
Before the chav's highjacked it Burberry was very upmarket.

And Burberry had their best few years ever, I guess.

Wonder if it has enhanced or destroyed their upmarket credentials, now that things have returned to 'normal' for them?

theoloyla
14-06-2008, 04:15 PM
Do they have burberry wearing chavs in the USA?

Sam
14-06-2008, 04:17 PM
Do they have burberry wearing chavs in the USA?

no..
:rolleyes:

Because out there they can be real gangsters... not wanabes:D