PDA

View Full Version : What do you like best about this forum?

summer sounds
09-06-2008, 04:43 AM
After a bad gig I find it really usefull and reassuring to read through the experiences of other DJ's who have suffered the night before as well!
Its a bit like 'Dear Marge' but unless you have worked as a DJ and appreciate that its not all fun and earning money its hard to get 'normal' folk to understand....I'm not saying DJ's are not normal!

Excalibur
09-06-2008, 06:02 AM
I'd have to say at the moment, it would be the technical help, and encouragement in the switch to digital. Thanks lads, there's a light at the end of the tunnel, and I don't think it's an oncoming train.:D :D

rob1963
09-06-2008, 07:51 AM
What do I like best about this forum?

In a nutshell, information & advice to help me learn more and therefore improve my business.

After all, If I thought I already knew it all or wasn't interested in other people's opinions, then I wouldn't be here!

mike8863
09-06-2008, 07:57 AM

In a nutshell, information & advice to help me learn more and therefore improve my business.

After all, If I thought I already knew it all or wasn't interested in other people's opinions, then I wouldn't be here!

Yep, that's about it in a nutshell..............:beer1: :beer1:

Solitaire Events Ltd
09-06-2008, 12:42 PM

Either that or you've got nothing better to do. :p

rob1963
09-06-2008, 02:18 PM

Either that or you've got nothing better to do. :p

What a terrible slur on my character!

I'll have you know that before I joined this forum, I used to do LOADS of different stuff.....

.....for example....errrrr......ummmmm......errrrrrrr.

I'll have to come back to you on that one.

Penfold42
09-06-2008, 02:32 PM
For me i've learnt loads and still learning......it's also a good source or humour.

...and save a few bob on some new equipment.......;) :D

Solitaire Events Ltd
09-06-2008, 02:37 PM
What I don't like about it, is people who start pointing fingers at me saying I'm hostile because I disagree with certain dodgy practises that they have.

Sam
09-06-2008, 02:38 PM
What I don't like about it, is people who start pointing fingers at me saying I'm hostile because I disagree with certain dodgy practises that they have.

I like Daz.:D

Solitaire Events Ltd
09-06-2008, 02:39 PM

Thanks.

Brownie point scored. ;)

rob1963
09-06-2008, 02:40 PM

:Censored: licker!

Penfold42
09-06-2008, 02:41 PM

Sorry Daz.......that's the last time i mention Warrior speakers....:p :D

but i do agree with your comment....:)

Paul James Promotions
09-06-2008, 04:08 PM

Don't be so hostile!

:D :D :D

djsteve10
09-06-2008, 05:50 PM
Well i love coming on here sharing my thoughts with other guys and also picking up some very good advice along the way, Everyone on here is great guys it just can annoy me when you get someone who comes on the forum who thinks they are the only dj in the world and have the big Ego issue.

PropellerHeadCase
09-06-2008, 07:44 PM
Thanks.

Brownie point scored. ;)

Has ANYONE figured out where to redeem brownie points? Nectar points? Easy! Brownie points? Not so much.

I like this forum for the advice, the humour, and the camaraderie (sorry, Rob).

rob1963
09-06-2008, 07:50 PM

Don't worry Al...I understood the first two reasons you gave, and that's pretty good going for me!

:D

Excalibur
09-06-2008, 07:57 PM

Baffles me why you are then. :confused: :p

For me i've learnt loads and still learning......it's also a good source or humour.

...and save a few bob on some new equipment.......;) :D
:confused: :confused: :confused: Spend a couple of thousand you hadn't intended to more like! :bang: :bang:

You're just an old softie under that grumpy facade, arent you? ;) :D

Well i love coming on here sharing my thoughts with other guys and also picking up some very good advice along the way, Everyone on here is great guys it just can annoy me when you get someone who comes on the forum who thinks they are the only dj in the world and have the big Ego issue.
Stop getting at Rob, you know he can't help it. ;)

Camaraderie? :confused: I understand it, I just don't believe it! ;) ;) :D :D

djsteve10
09-06-2008, 07:58 PM
Ooooh Pete you've got the claws and the handbag out again :P

ppentertainments
09-06-2008, 08:01 PM
I think the forum is great to get a broad range of opinions.

The way the forum also clearly supports the battles to become a properly recognised and controlled profession is clear and we need the backing of people like this who are going about dj'ing the correct and legal way and not just fly by night, 50 quid sids.

Oh ! and its good to get slated about something !!!

Tom
09-06-2008, 08:05 PM
"What do you like best about this forum"

Most of it,

not all of it,

just most of it. ;) :D

Excalibur
09-06-2008, 08:15 PM
Ooooh Pete you've got the claws and the handbag out again :P

Nah mate. Rip crazy, it's starting to get to me. Ten thousand tracks I've ripped here, Man and Boy!! Maybe five thousand left, and the CD drive in the new lappy has given up the struggle, so I'm down to one machine.:bang: :bang:

rob1963
09-06-2008, 08:24 PM
Nah mate. Rip crazy, it's starting to get to me. Ten thousand tracks I've ripped here, Man and Boy!! Maybe five thousand left, and the CD drive in the new lappy has given up the struggle, so I'm down to one machine.:bang: :bang:

That's one of the advantages of only having just over 5,000 tracks.

All my ripping was done within a week!

Excalibur
09-06-2008, 08:48 PM
That's one of the advantages of only having just over 5,000 tracks.

All my ripping was done within a week!

Smug person. :p :p

nigelwright7557
09-06-2008, 09:01 PM
After a bad gig I find it really usefull and reassuring to read through the experiences of other DJ's who have suffered the night before as well!
Its a bit like 'Dear Marge' but unless you have worked as a DJ and appreciate that its not all fun and earning money its hard to get 'normal' folk to understand....I'm not saying DJ's are not normal!

I love being abused after a perfectly innocent remark !

Its just like being married again lol

rob1963
09-06-2008, 09:01 PM
Smug person. :p :p

Not only that, but as it will go on the number of tracks, my digital DJ licence will probably cost less than a quarter of what yours will!

Solitaire Events Ltd
09-06-2008, 09:04 PM
I love people who come on this forum and think they can post any old rubbish whether it's true or not and then get upset when people disagree. :sj:

Penfold42
09-06-2008, 09:06 PM
I love people who come on this forum and think they can post any old rubbish whether it's true or not and then get upset when people disagree. :sj:

What a rubbish post......:D

nigelwright7557
09-06-2008, 09:08 PM

And I love being an expert in electronics and software, it really upsets Joe Average.

Excalibur
09-06-2008, 09:09 PM
Not only that, but as it will go on the number of tracks, my digital DJ licence will probably cost less than a quarter of what yours will!

In essence yes, but at the risk of re-opening the bait tin isn't the jury still out on that one? :confused:

Just :confused:

Excalibur
09-06-2008, 09:12 PM
And I love being an expert in electronics and software, it really upsets Joe Average.

You got my first name wrong, it's not Joe! And it's not you being an " expert in electronics and software" which upsets me. :mad:

Solitaire Events Ltd
09-06-2008, 09:12 PM

And I love experts in electronics who just posted that they bought cheap amps off Ebay only to find the RMS is a load of rubbish. :sj:

Experts, eh? :D

rob1963
09-06-2008, 09:13 PM
You got my first name wrong, it's not Joe! And it's not you being an " expert in electronics and software" which upsets me. :mad:

Excalibur,

I'm not an expert in ANYTHING.

I hope that doesn't upset you.

:cry:

Excalibur
09-06-2008, 09:14 PM
Excalibur,

No. And it doesn't surprise me either. :p :D

Penfold42
09-06-2008, 09:15 PM
Excalibur,

No but it annoys the :Censored: out of me...........:eek:

nigelwright7557
09-06-2008, 09:16 PM

But dont you thinks its odd how I am stupid on a DJ forum but my messages to an expert audio group are taken very well ?

As I say "No one likes a smart Alec"

Solitaire Events Ltd
09-06-2008, 09:20 PM
But dont you thinks its odd how I am stupid on a DJ forum but my messages to an expert audio group are taken very well ?

It's probably more to do with the way people post and come across. You ain't the only 'expert' on here my friend. :)

Excalibur
09-06-2008, 09:23 PM

Did I ever call you stupid? :confused: I have kept my opinions of you to myself, and shall continue to do so. It's down to politeness and humility, two things you're definitely NOT an expert in.

Solitaire Events Ltd
09-06-2008, 09:24 PM
Sooooo, anyway, what do you like best about this forum?

nigelwright7557
09-06-2008, 09:24 PM
And I love experts in electronics who just posted that they bought cheap amps off Ebay only to find the RMS is a load of rubbish. :sj:

Experts, eh? :D

But I bought the amps in good faith !

Its only because I am an expert that I know they were rubbish.

Tiny transformers, very low output power, no short cct detection, no fuses.
In fact they shouldnt be sold in this country coz they dont pass EMC regs or safety regs. I know this coz I am also an expert at EMC.

Thats why I started designing and building my own amps.
The ebay stuff has long been sold on or gutted.

Shaun
09-06-2008, 09:26 PM
Back on topic please!

Solitaire Events Ltd
09-06-2008, 09:27 PM
Back on topic please!

Hello? :D

Excalibur
09-06-2008, 09:28 PM

The camaraderie, bonhomie, and welcoming atmosphere? :sofa: :sofa: :sofa:

( Do you think prolonged ripping can send you crazy? :confused: :confused: )

Dragonfly
09-06-2008, 09:28 PM
the way uncle shaun is always here to keep us all on the straight and narrow should we go astray :D :D :D :D ;) ;) ;) :beer1: :beer1:

rob1963
09-06-2008, 09:45 PM
Excalibur,

No. And it doesn't surprise me either. :p :D

No but it annoys the :Censored: out of me...........:eek:

:Laugh:

Corabar Steve
10-06-2008, 07:03 AM
None of it. I hate you all! :sj:

axeman
10-06-2008, 08:24 AM
it gives me somewhere to go to get out of the sun.

Penfold42
10-06-2008, 08:25 AM

One less Christmas card to write.......:D

soundtracker
10-06-2008, 08:47 AM
The way we all slag off "non-members" in the hidden area!

Veiled ploy to get them to join!!!!

Dillmiester
10-06-2008, 09:06 AM
This site is an excellent place to gain and share knowledge.
My business model is based on knowledge (you never stop learning).
The day you think you know it all is the time to stop as you have lost the plot.
The second part of my business model is "copy and improve".
Without this site i would still be scratching my head about so many things and no doubt thrown a certain lighting controller out of the window!
Thanks to all those who have helped and I hope to help others when i can.

videoguy
10-06-2008, 09:11 AM

What's that brown stuff on your nose Sam!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Javlingames
10-06-2008, 12:43 PM
I like the music section, i normally get some ideas on different tunes to play, and also helps me look at what others are playing.

The threads can be quite interesting and entertaining too.

Spirits High
10-06-2008, 01:57 PM
I like the music section, i normally get some ideas on different tunes to play, and also helps me look at what others are playing.

The threads can be quite interesting and entertaining too.

I like it when you make a sensible post :D

Javlingames
10-06-2008, 02:27 PM
Was that a dig by any chance? lol

Penfold42
10-06-2008, 02:36 PM
http://www.mydailyoffers.co.uk/images/dog.jpg

sleah
10-06-2008, 03:30 PM
What a rubbish post......:D

I'm sorry I couldn't possibly agree with that. :D :D :D :D

Seriously...... all of the above.

I also like the standards that we attempt to keep. Such as use of 'proper' english and grammer, zero tolerance of profanity and the (occasionally:p ) tactful moderation. It is also a very inclusive forum, where anyone is welcome to join and newbies are helped along and shown their errors in a polite and tactful way rather than giving them a gob full and banning them the first time they break a rule.

I recently popped over to the MySpace forums and I can tell you it is not a pleasant place to be. Profanity is rife and the arrogance of some members (couple of Yanks, oddly:rolleyes: ) is staggering. They simply resort to cheap insults and threats when a newbie makes an innocent mistake and breaks one of their meaningless rules, that you need to be a forum expert to find in the first place.

This place is probably one of the best forums on t'internet, certainly one of the best run and is a fine example of what forums should be.

I'm not trying to be funny or :moon: lick, I'm being dead serious.

Thank you very much and goodnight:D

PB Entertainments
10-06-2008, 04:33 PM
Having been a DJ in my youth, to come back to it was a bit daunting, so reading other peoples experiences and advice helped greatly. My thoughts about how things have changed since the 80's/90's sparked a bit of response which put my mind at rest too.

Also, with regards equipment, I think that has helped me too, I love seeing other people's set-ups, reading about products they've bought, companies they've dealt with etc etc.

Plus when I was looking at new audio equipment, I was able to read a lot about Class D and indeed contacted JayDeeDrinker to find out first hand what another DJ thought, which helped me make up my mind! (Cheers JayDeeDrinker! :D)

So, to sum up, this forum is a great source of information and advice, a place to ask other people's opinions, see how other people do things and generally chat about what we all love doing!

Solitaire Events Ltd
10-06-2008, 05:08 PM
This place is probably one of the best forums on t'internet, certainly one of the best run and is a fine example of what forums should be.

It is nice to see a little bit of appreciation on occasion, for me, the admins and mods who help run this forum. Thanks. :)

sleah
10-06-2008, 05:17 PM
It is nice to see a little bit of appreciation on occasion, for me, the admins and mods who help run this forum. Thanks. :)

If you could make the cheque out to "Simon Leah".......:D :D :D

Solitaire Events Ltd
10-06-2008, 05:21 PM
If you could make the cheque out to "Simon Leah".......:D :D :D

For how much or should I just leave it blank? :D

sleah
10-06-2008, 05:30 PM
For how much or should I just leave it blank? :D

Oh just leave it blank. I haven't decided what to buy yet:)

Ryu
10-06-2008, 05:40 PM
I'm sorry I couldn't possibly agree with that. :D :D :D :D

Seriously...... all of the above.

I also like the standards that we attempt to keep. Such as use of 'proper' english and grammer, zero tolerance of profanity and the (occasionally:p ) tactful moderation. It is also a very inclusive forum, where anyone is welcome to join and newbies are helped along and shown their errors in a polite and tactful way rather than giving them a gob full and banning them the first time they break a rule.

I recently popped over to the MySpace forums and I can tell you it is not a pleasant place to be. Profanity is rife and the arrogance of some members (couple of Yanks, oddly:rolleyes: ) is staggering. They simply resort to cheap insults and threats when a newbie makes an innocent mistake and breaks one of their meaningless rules, that you need to be a forum expert to find in the first place.

I'm not trying to be funny or :moon: lick, I'm being dead serious.

Thank you very much and goodnight:D

Being a relative Newb, is it out of order for me to point out you mis-spelled Grammar? :D

Excalibur
10-06-2008, 05:42 PM
Being a relative Newb, is it out of order for me to point out you mis-spelled Grammar? :D

Not at all. :D Welcome to the pedants forum. :D :D

PropellerHeadCase
10-06-2008, 06:46 PM
The camaraderie, bonhomie, and welcoming atmosphere? :sofa: :sofa: :sofa:

( Do you think prolonged ripping can send you crazy? :confused: :confused: )

Yes, if you sit close enough to the ROM drive and sniff the ozone ;)

Nihilists AND pedants R US?

I believe that's what happens when you wear mirrored aviators and no zinc :o

Sam
10-06-2008, 06:48 PM

Why were there pictures on your website that wernt actually yours....? :D :D ;)

I believe that's what happens when you wear mirrored aviators and no zinc :o

Pfft. Just getting ready for my career :D

Solitaire Events Ltd
10-06-2008, 06:51 PM
I like the humour and thoroughly enjoy the banter with people of all ages on here.

I also enjoy meeting people from here and finding out they are exactly the same in real life.

Anyone heard Tony Penmare laugh before? :lol:

Dragonfly
10-06-2008, 06:53 PM
I like the humour and thoroughly enjoy the banter with people of all ages on here.

I also enjoy meeting people from here and finding out they are exactly the same in real life.

http://images.newsquest.co.uk/image.php?id=469690&type=full

:D :D :D :D :D ;) :beer1: :beer1: :beer1: :beer1:

Sam
10-06-2008, 06:53 PM

Humour?? What humour?
I am always deadly serious :D :D

Solitaire Events Ltd
10-06-2008, 06:56 PM

I am crying here....

And my wife thinks I've gone mad...

theoloyla
10-06-2008, 07:01 PM
I am crying here....

I thought youd been that way for years.:)

Sam
10-06-2008, 07:09 PM
I thought youd been that way for years.:)

Oi.. leave off my man :p

BeerFunk
10-06-2008, 10:40 PM
I'm trying to think of something less obvious to post... well I suppose I like the good old healthy debate you get from some members - that's the fundamentals of a forum!

I like Badger, and I think we all do really!? :)

I think the forums are run and moderated well, without silencing or banning people too hastily - strong opinions are allowed, even if they differ wildly from those of the owners and/or mods here.

I like the in depth discussions about DJing and music (when they don't drift off into gibberish)

Penfold42
10-06-2008, 11:14 PM
I just find most things funny......and laughter does help......interesting conversation on the phone the other day......:D :D :D :D

Shuddap you or i'll tell them all what you've been up to..........:zip: :D :D :D :D

I am crying here....

:eek: :eek: :eek: .....she' right you know.....:D

pdarnett
12-06-2008, 01:52 PM
Sorry for the duplicate thread, guys, just having a senior moment !!

Shaun
12-06-2008, 03:41 PM
No big deal, Paul. :)

Solitaire Events Ltd
12-06-2008, 04:19 PM
Sorry for the duplicate thread, guys, just having a senior moment !!

No big deal, Paul. :)

You muppet....:D

Shaun
12-06-2008, 04:26 PM
You muppet....:D:boxer2: :boxer2:

Solitaire Events Ltd
12-06-2008, 04:28 PM
:boxer2: :boxer2:

Not you....

Sam
12-06-2008, 04:38 PM
:boxer2: :boxer2:

Leave off my man! :eek:

Shaun
12-06-2008, 04:46 PM
Not you....

You can talk. :d

*Edit: If it wasn't for the goatee you'd never realise that it was you..LOL.

Shaun
12-06-2008, 04:47 PM
Leave off my man! :eek:

I still have your pic somewhere too..... :p

Sam
12-06-2008, 04:54 PM
I still have your pic somewhere too..... :p

I dare you :p

Penfold42
12-06-2008, 05:16 PM
You can talk. :d

*Edit: If it wasn't for the goatee you'd never realise that it was you..LOL.

LMAO......nice boob job Daz.......can see why Sam's got a thing for you......PMSL..........:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

rob1963
12-06-2008, 06:02 PM
LMAO......nice boob job Daz.......can see why Sam's got a thing for you......PMSL..........:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

It seems like Sam's got a thing for EVERYONE!

:eek:

Penfold42
12-06-2008, 06:05 PM
:lol:......:d

Sam
12-06-2008, 06:13 PM
It seems like Sam's got a thing for EVERYONE!

:eek:

Jealous? :p

rob1963
12-06-2008, 11:29 PM
Jealous? :p

:whistle: