PDA

View Full Version : How to get the full amount

Tom
09-06-2008, 03:48 PM
At the moment I ask for a advanced booking fee and the rest is usually paid on the night before the gig.

Is there a way how I could introduce the full payment when the client is booking???

What would be the best way to do this???

Many thanks

Tom

Solitaire Events Ltd
09-06-2008, 03:50 PM
In my experience people wouldn't want to pay the whole amount when first booking Tom.

Change your t&cs so that you take money a couple of weeks before the function maybe?

Tom
09-06-2008, 03:57 PM
Ok. Thanks for the advice. :)

Solitaire Events Ltd
09-06-2008, 04:06 PM
You could also tell them that they could pay several amounts before the function date to help them budget a bit.

Sometimes I'll get a client who will ring up a few months before wanting to pay the balance.

Tom
09-06-2008, 04:08 PM
You could also tell them that they could pay several amounts before the function date to help them budget a bit.

That's a good idea. Didn't think about that. I guess it's worth a try. I'm going to try to write somthing up on the new website and somthing in my t&c.

ppentertainments
09-06-2008, 04:45 PM
What Daz says is ideal. Most clients I deal with however still want to pay on the night, I have mentioned before that asking for a deposit still seems strange to most. I have, however, put on my terms and conditions that the balance MUST be paid before I start playing. Obviously at weddings etc they do 'forget' but I give a gentle reminder during the buffet. Never had to but I would threaten to 'pack up and go; if it looked like there was going to be problems getting paid. I now never leave it till the end of the night.

Vectis
09-06-2008, 04:47 PM
I suggest that most clients who don't pay online, instead pay their balance at the planning meeting which usually takes place 4-6 weeks before the event.

It works 9 times out of 10 ;)

For those gigs without a planning meeting I state cash on the night or cheque/online 14 days in advance.

CRAZY K
09-06-2008, 05:11 PM
What Daz says is ideal. Most clients I deal with however still want to pay on the night, I have mentioned before that asking for a deposit still seems strange to most. I have, however, put on my terms and conditions that the balance MUST be paid before I start playing. Obviously at weddings etc they do 'forget' but I give a gentle reminder during the buffet. Never had to but I would threaten to 'pack up and go; if it looked like there was going to be problems getting paid. I now never leave it till the end of the night.

I find people feel more comfortable having paid a deposit where a service is booked a long way in advance--if they havent they wonder what kind of business it is--I would.

Everyone EXPECTS to pay a non refundable booking fee ---also known as a deposit ( but not on here)

I very much doubt the photographer, the caterer or the Hotel havent received a deposit. Why not the Entertainer?

You are in danger of not being considered a Professional business.

The only time I dont INSIST on a NRBF may be if I have worked for them before.

After all, if they cant organise sending you a NRBF ---will you get paid on the night:eek:

Never mind what the client wants to pay--if you gave them the choice they would probably want to pay half what you charge :D

Its YOUR business not theirs:rolleyes: You dictate the T and C not them!

This is just good basic business procedure.

CRAZY K

ppentertainments
09-06-2008, 06:23 PM
I find people feel more comfortable having paid a deposit where a service is booked a long way in advance--if they havent they wonder what kind of business it is--I would.

Everyone EXPECTS to pay a non refundable booking fee ---also known as a deposit ( but not on here)

I very much doubt the photographer, the caterer or the Hotel havent received a deposit. Why not the Entertainer?

You are in danger of not being considered a Professional business.

The only time I dont INSIST on a NRBF may be if I have worked for them before.

After all, if they cant organise sending you a NRBF ---will you get paid on the night:eek:

Never mind what the client wants to pay--if you gave them the choice they would probably want to pay half what you charge :D

Its YOUR business not theirs:rolleyes: You dictate the T and C not them!

This is just good basic business procedure.

CRAZY K

I don't know if I have wrote the thread in the wrong manner or you have taken it the wrong way but I take great offence at being told "You are in danger of not being considered a Professional business."

I do run my business professionally and DO dictate the T & C. I ALWAYS insist on a deposit.

What I was merely pointing out is how people I deal with find it strange for a dj to insist on deposit, booking forms, T&C etc. As mentioned in other threads this could be a local issue.

As for the photographer receiving a deposit - no this is never a problem. I am also a photographer and people expect to pay a deposit. What I was pointing out is how people often think it strange when a DJ does actually take a professional approach (and deposit).

CRAZY K
09-06-2008, 06:53 PM
I don't know if I have wrote the thread in the wrong manner or you have taken it the wrong way but I take great offence at being told "You are in danger of not being considered a Professional business."

I do run my business professionally and DO dictate the T & C. I ALWAYS insist on a deposit.

What I was merely pointing out is how people I deal with find it strange for a dj to insist on deposit, booking forms, T&C etc. As mentioned in other threads this could be a local issue.

As for the photographer receiving a deposit - no this is never a problem. I am also a photographer and people expect to pay a deposit. What I was pointing out is how people often think it strange when a DJ does actually take a professional approach (and deposit).

Well I read-- Most clients I deal with however still want to pay on the night, I have mentioned before that asking for a deposit still seems strange to most.

Sorry, I didnt realise you refused to deal that way--quite right.

Perhaps a lot of DJs in your area are not as Professional as you in dealing with the Contract paperwork.

Maybe its a Regional thing--no one I ever deal with seems to expect to pay on the night in full---they all expect an advance payment to secure their booking.

Glad to hear your educating them:D

CRAZY K

rob1963
09-06-2008, 07:43 PM
In my experience people wouldn't want to pay the whole amount when first booking Tom.

Change your t&cs so that you take money a couple of weeks before the function maybe?

I agree 100%.

My terms & conditions state that the balance can EITHER be paid no less than two weeks before the function, or alternatively on the night before the start time in cash.

When I send their booking confirmation, I enclose a music request form, and ask them to return it 14 days before their function if possible.

In the same letter, I confirm what the outstanding amount is and tactfully suggest that they might like to enclose the balance cheque when they return the music request form, as this will mean they have one less thing to think about on the night...which is what the majority tend to do.

:)

ppentertainments
09-06-2008, 07:52 PM
Well I read-- Most clients I deal with however still want to pay on the night, I have mentioned before that asking for a deposit still seems strange to most.

Sorry, I didnt realise you refused to deal that way--quite right.

Perhaps a lot of DJs in your area are not as Professional as you in dealing with the Contract paperwork.

Maybe its a Regional thing--no one I ever deal with seems to expect to pay on the night in full---they all expect an advance payment to secure their booking.

Glad to hear your educating them:D

CRAZY K

Put my dummy back in now :D :D