PDA

View Full Version : What advice would you give on our website?

SC Events
10-06-2008, 06:29 PM
Hi there, We've had our website up for a couple of months now and we just wanted to ask your opinions of it?

What should we change/add or leave alone etc...

Constructive criticism much appreciated,

Thanks

SJS

Solitaire Events Ltd
10-06-2008, 06:35 PM
You might want to put a link to save people searching for it!

SC Events
10-06-2008, 06:41 PM
A link from where? On these posts or on google or something???

SJS

Solitaire Events Ltd
10-06-2008, 06:44 PM
A link from where? On these posts or on google or something???

SJS

A link that people can click to go to your website. It wasn't on your first post.

SC Events
10-06-2008, 06:47 PM
Cheers, I've done that now :)

SJS

Solitaire Events Ltd
10-06-2008, 07:01 PM
I clicked on it and a advert for Piczo came up, so I stopped looking at it. There's the first thing to change as I'm sure a lot of people do the same.

Jiggles
10-06-2008, 07:04 PM
ook Stop using Pizco for making the site! its naff to the extream! Get a proper domain name! its only £6 for two years! You can also get web hosting for only £4.50 per month.

SC Events
10-06-2008, 07:06 PM
We are just using it temporarily whilst we get a new site set up.
But when we buy a paid domain we want to use the same site if you know what i mean, thats one I'm asking people to still (Criticise) it.

Charlie Brown
10-06-2008, 08:44 PM
We are just using it temporarily whilst we get a new site set up.
But when we buy a paid domain we want to use the same site if you know what i mean, thats one I'm asking people to still (Criticise) it.

Yes right ok, you can keep the site, but have your own domain

here: http://www.one.com

set up £10, first year free, then 90p a month, cant go wrong:)

Hope this helps Charlie

If you need help how to get it on (very easy) no problem, I would be happy to help

Jiggles
10-06-2008, 08:48 PM
Naa Thats a con that is Charlie! www.1and1.co.uk £6 for two years! (or There abouts) OR if you go with servage hosting the domain is free and you get webhosting for £4.50 per month. well worth it IMO.

Charlie Brown
10-06-2008, 08:56 PM
"SJS Discos is fairly new, but all 3 of the DJ's have ran/had their own discos before (Over 10 Years of experience) and are also great mates - so we decided to join together!"

"P.S. Please don't ask him about his Mini."

The websites layout, and content just seems naf....And the picture's..well its a picture of a mini:confused:

At the end of every page you have to return to the main page, then to your next page...why not have a menu bar at the top?

"Apr 2 2008 10:19 pm
Kool all going to plan now. all set up! website looks mint and all thanks to me and scott!

keep up the good work! (if you call it that)
you most wounderfull roadie!

mwah love you loves (lol. oj)" very un-professional, hate to be picky but where is the information??

What I have leanrt from your website:attn:

Andy likes mini's
What mixer you have
The wattage of your speakers
You can link your lights together via DMX
Ohh and you do Birthday's

Thats it...where is the information about the differnt parties etc, your Terms and Conditions?? Pictures?? Videos??

And the glitery font and stars dont work for me, reminds me off blackpool

Don't take this the wrong way, once you have a proper site up and running, it will be better,

http://www.one.com is a must!!!!

Hope this helps, Charlie

Also people dont like to know too much about the DMX and wattage of your speakers "those who are technicly minded, if you would like more information of the equipment we use and how use it, don't be affraid to ask when booking your disco"

Jiggles
10-06-2008, 08:59 PM
Tell me Charlie what kind of speeds do the customer service have at replying to your emails at one.com?

SC Events
10-06-2008, 09:01 PM
Wow crikey thanks guys! Thats got me thinking...!

I'll hopefully get something sorted within the next few days regarding a new damain etc...

SJS

Charlie Brown
10-06-2008, 09:25 PM
Tell me Charlie what kind of speeds do the customer service have at replying to your emails at one.com?

What when I speak to them? If you meen ONE'S CUSTOMER SERVICE then they have a 24/7 live chat, and are VERY FAST 15 seconds?

Charlie

Charlie Brown
10-06-2008, 09:32 PM
Wow crikey thanks guys! Thats got me thinking...!

I'll hopefully get something sorted within the next few days regarding a new damain etc...

SJS

Just to say, I uses some harsh words in that comment and that take everything on board, but I meant it in a nice way .... if that makes sense.

Look at some of our websites on here and get some ideas:)

http://www.charliebrowndisco.co.uk

Have a look at my certain pages for different parties, and see what I mean.

Hope this helps, Charlie:)

P.S did that woman ever get back to you, for the 14th June?

Jiggles
10-06-2008, 09:34 PM
hmm also how quicky can they get the problem sorted if there is one? Server all you need to do is submit a support ticket then about 1 min later the problem is normaly fixed due to them keeping an eye on whats going on error pages and the likes.

Charlie Brown
10-06-2008, 09:38 PM
hmm also how quicky can they get the problem sorted if there is one? Server all you need to do is submit a support ticket then about 1 min later the problem is normaly fixed due to them keeping an eye on whats going on error pages and the likes.

sure, I dont normally have problems

but for instance I cant change the size and border of my website so people still have to pan and zoom:bang: and that did take around 30 mins to establish.

but normally they are very good and helpful:)

SC Events
11-06-2008, 08:01 AM
Cheers Guys, I've definately got alot to think about but your advice has been helpfull :beerchug:

SJS

soundtracker
11-06-2008, 08:34 AM
Hope this helps Charlie

Aren't you Charlie???

SC Events
11-06-2008, 08:45 AM
No, Charlie Brown is Charlie.

discomobiledj
11-06-2008, 08:53 AM
Honestly?

Change the whole thing, it looks like something a child done. The piczo adverts are annoying and the header is just a cash generator for them, your events page is password protected, if people want to see this they can't

SC Events
11-06-2008, 09:57 AM
Its password protected because they are pictures. We decided that if we take pictures at an event, only the people (and us) would be given the password to view them.

Charlie Brown
11-06-2008, 11:53 AM
Aren't you Charlie???

No lol I meant,

Hope this helps,

Charlie=from me

if that makes sense:rolleyes:

Charlie Brown
11-06-2008, 11:55 AM
Its password protected because they are pictures. We decided that if we take pictures at an event, only the people (and us) would be given the password to view them.

WHAT!!!!!!!

THAT IS CRAZY!!!!!!

People want to see what you can do, what you offer, and most of all PEOPLE HAVING A GOOD TIME!!!

That is the strangest thing I have heard this morning

lol, bad move, people want to see you, your equipment and what you can do to people's party and hopefully theirs......if that makes sense

Charlie

soundtracker
11-06-2008, 12:04 PM
No lol I meant,

Hope this helps,

Charlie=from me

if that makes sense:rolleyes:

Which is why they invented PUNCTUATION!!!!!!!!

Marc J
11-06-2008, 12:14 PM
I'd remove: -

The frames (.tk).
The sparkly background.
The sparkly page headings.
The Piczo ads.
The banners at the top.
The hit counter.
The Google search.
The clock.
The Google Adsense (you're supposed to make money from your website by people booking you, not by people clicking on the ads for what is usually the competition).
The Bookings Calendar page (as it doesn't actually have any content).
The Feedback page (until you have some!).

I'd add: -

Some sort of navigation menu (there is one, but that's a Piczo thing I think).
Relevant page titles.
A contact form (oops - just noticed there is one, but it's via a small link and opens in a new window - add one to the page itself).

I'd move: -

The whole site to a better host, as suggested by others (and I'll rather predictably throw my hat into the ring - see my ad on DJBids (http://www.djbids.co.uk/auctiondetails.php?itemname=Website-Hosting&id=474)).

Some of these issues will all go away together when you get a "proper" domain and move host. Others will take a little more work....

rob1963
11-06-2008, 01:28 PM
your events page is password protected, if people want to see this they can't

WHAT!!!!!!!

THAT IS CRAZY!!!!!!

People want to see what you can do, what you offer, and most of all PEOPLE HAVING A GOOD TIME!!!

I completely agree with Charlie.

A website for ANY business where you can't see photos showing what they do because they're all password protected is probably the most crazy thing I've ever seen on a website.

I also agree that you should start again.

A website should get you more bookings, but in it's present form I think yours will do the opposite.

Shaun
11-06-2008, 02:06 PM
If it were me...I'd follow Marc J's advice. :beer1:

markthedoc
22-07-2008, 08:58 PM
My honest opinion is the site looks very dated and amateur.
The sparkly heading and background aren't a good look.

I'd get rid of the frames because frames will stop you ranking high in the search engines.

You don't need an amazing site but you do need it to look professional.

Just my view on it.