PDA

View Full Version : Christmas rates

yourdj
13-06-2008, 01:58 AM
This is my first year as "Your DJ" and as i now have a few fully booked months till then Im starting to think about christmas.

I have had a guy call me who wants me too DJ every Saturday in December. It is a nice restaurant in a trendy part of southampton. I would normally charge him £145 for decks, speakers and a couple of lights for about 3-4 hours.

I normally go out for about £250, so i think i will give this to other people if otherwise busy, although nice to have regular bookings and all :)

Basically how much more do you charge during the christmas season and when? Especially christmas eve and new years eve.

i have a sneaky suspicion i am going to get lots of last minute calls a couple of weeks prior so i need to get the back up before!

daz226
13-06-2008, 02:41 AM
during christmas i charge the normal rate apart from christmas eve and new years eve and by doing this i am booked solid through dec so much so i will be doing a couple 7 day weeks.

yourdj
13-06-2008, 02:57 AM
Ok ta, i thought that.

Good to see some people keeping the same hours as me (obviously busy djing - or on a night shift somewhere else) :D

JAMdisco
13-06-2008, 06:56 AM
I usually charge double rates on xmas eve and NYE. Usually somewhere around the £350 upwards mark. The obvious answer though, is get as much as you can!!!

Vectis
13-06-2008, 07:24 AM
My rates are seasonal for reasons previously stated and I don't take bookings for my "Junior" rig in December as there's sufficient demand that I don't have to. Plus, I tend to find December bookings are full of people who rarely come out to play and so it's good to get an impressive show in front of them for word-of-mouth recommendations over the course of the following year. My cheapest gig would therefore go out for £240 with a midnight finish and without any 'extras', going up to £345 for the top rig, midnight, no extras.

I don't work 24/25/26 as I also have a life, and NYE is normal gig rate + £150 and tickets for 4 guests (ie immediate family).

I tend to shy away from block bookings in December as they're notoriously unreliable especially if based on ticket sales - make sure the Ts & Cs are tight otherwise you could end up out of pocket at this expensive time of year. However, if I do offer them (often midweek slots) then I'll go to 10% or maybe max 20% off normal rate for 4 or more bookings. Depends really whether you're getting consecutive nights and can therefore leave heavy kit onsite.

Hope this helps position as you're not a million miles from me :)

DazzyD
13-06-2008, 07:41 AM
Christmas prices are the same as any other booking except NYE (this is negotiable with the venue but usually around double time). Like Martin, I don't work christmas eve cos I prefer to spend this night at home with my family.

If I'm doing a residency over christmas where I can set up once and leave the rig I'll throw in a discount but, again, this isn't fixed and I'm open to negotiation with the venue.

rob1963
13-06-2008, 07:41 AM
For me, December is normal rates, with the exception of Christmas eve at about 50% more and NYE at double bubble.

Having said that, all my advertising is aimed at the wedding market, so any christmas stuff I get is usually for my friend's agency, meaning less money than my own normal rates, partly because he takes his cut & partly because he charges less than me in the first place.

For the last year or two he's only given me a few Christmas parties, Christmas eve in a pub & NYE in a pub, so I've pretty much decided to take December off this year (apart from my quiz nights)...just for a change.

:)

soundtracker
13-06-2008, 08:57 AM
For me, December is normal rates, with the exception of Christmas eve at about 50% more and NYE at double bubble.

Having said that, all my advertising is aimed at the wedding market, so any christmas stuff I get is usually for my friend's agency, meaning less money than my own normal rates, partly because he takes his cut & partly because he charges less than me in the first place.

For the last year or two he's only given me a few Christmas parties, Christmas eve in a pub & NYE in a pub, so I've pretty much decided to take December off this year (apart from my quiz nights)...just for a change.

:)

Part-Timer:D

Vectis
13-06-2008, 09:47 AM

Hey, when you're pulling in 6 figures from DJin & Quizmastering you can afford to take one of the busiest times of the year off!!

Shaun
13-06-2008, 09:54 AM
I don't charge any extra for the seasonal run-up. If I worked Christmas Eve/Day or New Years Eve/Day I'd charge more for those dates, but I don't work those dates.

Penfold42
13-06-2008, 09:56 AM
I don't charge any extra for the seasonal run-up. If I worked Christmas Eve/Day or New Years Eve/Day I'd charge more for those dates, but I don't work those dates.

:confused: .......:D

Shaun
13-06-2008, 09:57 AM
Where lies your confusion young padawan? :d

Solitaire Events Ltd
13-06-2008, 10:01 AM

Oi! Do you mind?

rob1963
13-06-2008, 10:04 AM

Hey, when you're pulling in 6 figures from DJin & Quizmastering you can afford to take one of the busiest times of the year off!!

Absolutely!

:D

Shaun
13-06-2008, 10:05 AM
Oi! Do you mind?

I don't mind at all. :d

Penfold42
13-06-2008, 10:13 AM

I'd charge more for those dates
Gotcha....

but I don't work those dates.
Now i've lost you......that's a bit like saying....."Do you want fish & chips for tea.....but i'm of to the Indian........".....:D

I do know what you mean........and i do charge....time and 1/2 for me.

Oi! Do you mind?

It OK....he's trying very hard to get me to move over to the dark side......:D

Dragonfly
13-06-2008, 10:35 AM
well duh !!!! potato grower :D :D :D :D :D

what Shaun is saying is that he does not work the dates you said he has them off ...... but if he did he would charge more for them ....... can we have a little man signing in the corner please admin for mr penmare :D :D :D :D :D :D

Shaun
13-06-2008, 12:14 PM
what Shaun is saying is that he does not work the dates you said he has them off ...... but if he did he would charge more for them

Spot on my little swashbuckling comrade. :)

yourdj
13-06-2008, 02:07 PM
Ok thanks everyone,

So, i think 50% on top for christmas or new year (only one). Run up i will stay the same.

= £370) full mobile rig

or

= £225 for decks/pa and a couple of lights.

Does that sound fair?