PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Mackie v2 speaker

Tom
13-06-2008, 09:34 PM
Yes, I have a problem with on eof my speakers. I guess your laughing right now..... Anyway

I had a 11th birthday tonight. One of the speakers worked but the other one was playing up. There was no blue led on the front but there was sound coming out of it??? Also I had to turn up the input level to match the speaker. This must of been about 1/6 extra power. I was running the speakers at 1/4 volume.

They both worked ok but I don't know this has happened. I take a lot of care with my equipment and this happens. Just hope its ok for tommorow. :(

I know some of may be thinking why don'y you phone or email Mackie, well as this is a forum full of advice I thought I would try here as some of you may own the original SRM450 or the v2 version

Anybody got any ideas to why this has happened:confused: :(

spin mobile disco
13-06-2008, 10:16 PM
Have you checked it since at home?, could have been faulty mains sockt or signal socket. Im just guessing here as I have no experience of the active version of that speaker.

Tom
13-06-2008, 10:36 PM
Have you checked it since at home?, could have been faulty mains sockt or signal socket. Im just guessing here as I have no experience of the active version of that speaker.

Net yet but I will give that a go tommorow morning.

Forgot to mention that I also changed the speakers over as each speaker comes from a different mains socket. I also changed the xlr leads and still nothing. :(

Jiggles
13-06-2008, 10:46 PM
I knew someone that owend the older versions and there blue LEDs blew on them. He had to get them fixed.

Tom
13-06-2008, 10:51 PM
I knew someone that owend the older versions and there blue LEDs blew on them. He had to get them fixed.

It's not just the LED, its also the lost of power coming from the speaker aswell. There is quite a difference in output when both levels are set the same. :(

Excalibur
14-06-2008, 06:12 AM
It's not just the LED, its also the lost of power coming from the speaker aswell. There is quite a difference in output when both levels are set the same. :(

Just a thought, you say you have swapped XLR leads, did you swap the input channels also? Possibly one channel output has dropped, and the fault may not actually be in the Mackies? With a fault of this nature, check everything by substitution. Good luck.

Tom
14-06-2008, 07:10 AM
Just a thought, you say you have swapped XLR leads, did you swap the input channels also? Possibly one channel output has dropped, and the fault may not actually be in the Mackies? With a fault of this nature, check everything by substitution. Good luck.

Morning,

I already tried that last night. I changes the power cables, xlr leads and eve tried the speaker on different wal sockets and still nothing. Looks like I may have to give Mackie and bit of a call. :(

OllieJames
14-06-2008, 07:13 AM
The blue led on the front of one of my SRM 450 v1's has done that, the sound still works fine...

Good luck with getting it fixed!

Excalibur
14-06-2008, 02:07 PM

Morning,

I already tried that last night. I changes the power cables, xlr leads and eve tried the speaker on different wal sockets and still nothing. Looks like I may have to give Mackie and bit of a call. :(

I'm explaining this badly Tom. The fault may not lie in the actual cables, but in the output of your music source, eg the left hand mixer channel may be on low output, perhaps you have moved a balance control by accident, and given a bias to one side. This would appear as if one speaker was quieter or louder than the other, and could be found by simply swapping the speakers from side to side without changing anything else. If the quiet channel stays at the same side, then your Mackies are fine. Are you with me on this? I reckon the Blue LED could be a Red Herring, and have no bearing on any sound issues.

Edit: Just read Ollies previous post, seems to support the last part of my premise.

OllieJames
14-06-2008, 02:26 PM
Excalibur, I agree, the LED seems like a red herring.

Tom give that a go, and tell us what happens!

Good luck.

Tom
15-06-2008, 12:49 AM
I'm explaining this badly Tom. The fault may not lie in the actual cables, but in the output of your music source, eg the left hand mixer channel may be on low output, perhaps you have moved a balance control by accident, and given a bias to one side. This would appear as if one speaker was quieter or louder than the other, and could be found by simply swapping the speakers from side to side without changing anything else. If the quiet channel stays at the same side, then your Mackies are fine. Are you with me on this? I reckon the Blue LED could be a Red Herring, and have no bearing on any sound issues.

Edit: Just read Ollies previous post, seems to support the last part of my premise.

Understand what you are saying.

I have just got back from a wedding gig in hastings. Checked everything and every thing was fine apart from the led on the speaker. On my mixer if you move the balence over to one channel it shows up on the mian output that there is more left and less right for example so I don't think it was that.

Half way through the night the led came back on??? How strange. I don't know if it was because I turned the speakers up. If so then there must be some loose connections inside the speaker???

Im stummped.

Off topic.

Well I guess it somthing to think about in a week. I go on holiday today, i'm going to propose on holiday, when I get back I can pick up my new car and a few days after that I can collect my puppy. Goods things are happening at the moment. lol. Anyway

On topic, when I get back I may try the speaker out again at low volumes and at high volumes and see if the light comes on when there is heavy bass in the song. If so then I will be phoning Mackie and ask for this speaker to either be fixed or replaced.

Thanks for the advice given. :)

Solitaire Events Ltd
15-06-2008, 12:53 AM
The bass could be vibrating the cab and knocking the led off which could be loose, maybe.

You are going to propose?

You're far too young my man, but good luck anyway and all the best!

Tom
15-06-2008, 12:58 AM
The bass could be vibrating the cab and knocking the led off which could be loose, maybe.

Could be but I will try this out in about a week.

Yes I am but this don't mean myself and my other half are going to get married next week. We just with to further our relationship that one step further and thanks. :)

Paul James Promotions
15-06-2008, 08:33 AM
Yes, I have a problem with on eof my speakers.

Told you to get a Basys ;) :D :D :D

I know the older version was prone to overheating. Just recently I saw a DJ who had attached a domestic fan to the rear of each speaker!

We just with to further our relationship that one step further and thanks. :)

All the best :) Hope you have a better outcome than I did.

Tom
22-06-2008, 09:31 AM

In going to look further in to this. :)

Told you to get a Basys ;) :D :D :D

I know the older version was prone to overheating. Just recently I saw a DJ who had attached a domestic fan to the rear of each speaker!

All the best :) Hope you have a better outcome than I did.

I could of Jamie, then I would have no roo, for anything else in my new car. If I can get the insurance sorted out tonight then I will have a new car tonight, anyway.

Well its all done and dusted. I proposed to my other half on the beach at sunset. Awwww. lol

djsteve10
22-06-2008, 10:55 AM
In going to look further in to this. :)

Well its all done and dusted. I proposed to my other half on the beach at sunset. Awwww. lol

So did your other half accept your proposal?

Tom
22-06-2008, 08:11 PM
So did your other half accept your proposal?

No, she ran off with some guy called pierre

Only joking, ;) :p :D she said yes, had a good cry with me on the beach then we both got attacked by giant moths. :lol:. But then again that might of been the drink. :beer1:

:eek: , me drink. Well....I tryed it as it was holiday. :cool:

Rum and coke
Vodka and coke
Red and white wine
Beer

and to be honest, i'm not missing out on much. Had about three sips of each (on different nights) and could feel it in my brain straight away. lol. I tryed to get "tipsy" but it was not working at all.

So back to the pepsi it shall be. :D

djsteve10
22-06-2008, 09:05 PM
Congrats Tom, Glad it has all worked out in the end for you, Bet you can't wait to be back out on the road with your Mackie & Denon kit?

And on topic now, hows the faulty mackie department doing?

Tom
22-06-2008, 09:24 PM
Congrats Tom, Glad it has all worked out in the end for you, Bet you can't wait to be back out on the road with your Mackie & Denon kit?

And on topic now, hows the faulty mackie department doing?

Thanks Steve. :)

Can't wait now. Just need to change the upgrade to a downgrade on the denon. I will test out the speakers tommorow after work and give them a good blast and see what happens. I got a prom coming up very very soon so need everything tip top. Need to start making some money, running a bit low. :lol:

Excalibur
23-06-2008, 08:53 PM
. Need to start making some money, running a bit low. :lol:

Welcome to married life. ;) :D

JAMdisco
23-06-2008, 09:47 PM
Welcome to married life. ;) :D

No to mention the 'yatter yatter yatter' of "why do you need that", "haven't you spent enough on your disco", "why do you need more lights", "i've seen a nice handbag and some lovely shoes" etc.. etc...

Solitaire Events Ltd
24-06-2008, 11:04 AM
"i've seen a nice handbag and some lovely shoes" etc.. etc...

Have you now...:eek: :D