PDA

View Full Version : Free phone calls...

DazzyD
17-06-2008, 12:38 PM
Hi all.

Just found a neat little service that allows you to make free phone calls using your computer, the internet and your normal telephone.

The service is called Jubii and it's part of Lycos so it should be pretty reputable.

You have to have register (which is pretty painless - no credit card details or signing your soul to satan involved!) and then you key in your phone number followed by the number of the person you want to call (both phones could be landlines or mobiles on any network). The service rings your phone first and, when you answers, rings the other person and connects the call. It's a simple as that!

There are some limitations, such a 5mins per call and 30mins per day for example, but it's free and saving money is always good.

I was wondering if anyone else uses this service? I'd like some opinions on it. I've only been messing around with it but I've made 4 calls today and each has connected with no problems.

The link to sign up is:

http://www.jubii.co.uk

Oh, and you can call to a number of different countries also.

So, what do you guys think?

Oh, and it's also free email and 10Gb of media storage too - all free!

JAMdisco
17-06-2008, 01:41 PM
Mmmm, ever heard of the saying "if it sounds too good to be true..."

There's very little you can get for Free these days, but I may try it, so long as they don't have any payment details I can't see the harm.

[edit] Could be a ploy to get your number (and your friends numbers) for advertising calls!

DazzyD
17-06-2008, 02:02 PM
Mmmm, ever heard of the saying "if it sounds too good to be true..."

There's very little you can get for Free these days, but I may try it, so long as they don't have any payment details I can't see the harm.

[edit] Could be a ploy to get your number (and your friends numbers) for advertising calls!

its possible but it is from Lycos so I wouldn't expect anything sinister.

There are loads of free email accounts around and this one seems highly concerned with security and privacy so I thinks it's above board.

There are limits in place to stop abuse so it's not an alternative to your regular telephone provider but if it helps save a little each month then it may just work.

DazzyD
17-06-2008, 02:07 PM
Just done a bit of research in to jubii. It seems to be a new project undergoing beta testing and it's free for the testing period for the first million registered users. Should be interesting to see how the trial goes.

JAMdisco
17-06-2008, 02:08 PM
Thing is to make a difference in my household I'd have to get the step-daughters involved and they NEVER talk for less than 5 mins...

rob1963
17-06-2008, 02:17 PM
If it's as good as it seems, it sounds great!

The main drawback seems to be the 5 minute call maximum, which is not long at all (especially for ME!).

:D

DazzyD
17-06-2008, 02:58 PM
I'm not sure what the plans are but I now know Jubii is the leading ISP in Denmark and the current Jubii Communications Centre was originally launched in Germany. It still seems to be a work in progress and there are a few reported glitches on some blogs (although these could be out of date and the problems fixed!).

I've made a few calls with it today and it seems to work ok. I've never had any problem connecting calls. It says it's VoIP but I'm not sure it really as it just dials your number then connects your phone to the other number. It doesn't seem to make the call over the internet - simply send the details to connect it.

Solitaire Events Ltd
17-06-2008, 02:59 PM
Sounds alright to me and better than nothing. One of my lines has free anytime calls though, so it wouldn't be a saving for me.

DazzyD
17-06-2008, 03:18 PM
Sounds alright to me and better than nothing. One of my lines has free anytime calls though, so it wouldn't be a saving for me.

My situation is that we don't have a landline in the house and only have PAYG mobiles. I got the PAYG mobile broadband kit from 3 which costs me £15 per month. So I'm always on the lookout for things that will save me money on calls no matter how small the amount. So this is good for me. Like Darren said, it won't be the same benefit for everybody.

501damian501
17-06-2008, 04:01 PM
you say no credit card details, thats because they bill you by your telephone number mate, like people are saying sounds too good to be true, you don't get nothing for free in this world,unless you beg for it !

DazzyD
17-06-2008, 04:15 PM
you say no credit card details, thats because they bill you by your telephone number mate, like people are saying sounds too good to be true, you don't get nothing for free in this world,unless you beg for it !

Who told you that? There's nothing on the Jubii site to suggest that this is the case. And I don't think Lycos would risk their worldwide reputation by using such an underhanded practice as that.

Anyhows, the phone I'm connecting with is a PAYG mobile with no credit on. So how exactly are they going to bill my phone number?

I've spent the best part of the day researching this service and there is no suggestion on any blog or website that they charge for this service. The comments I've found suggest that it has (or had) a number of glitches to it but no-one has said they've been charged for it. And it's been running in Europe since at least February 2007 so I'm sure if that was the case someone would had pointed it out by now.

I'd like to see your evidence to back up your comment, Damian, cos you've just put yourself in a position whereby your comment could be construed as libelous to Jubii and Lycos and I wouldn't want the owners of this forum to face legal action over it.

501damian501
17-06-2008, 05:25 PM
what an earth are you chatting ? you also forgot to say jubii is an affiliate of LYCOS Europe, What are they going to sting you once beta is over ?

DazzyD
17-06-2008, 08:58 PM
what an earth are you chatting ? you also forgot to say jubii is an affiliate of LYCOS Europe, What are they going to sting you once beta is over ?

At what point did I forget to mention the association between Lycos and Jubii?

The service is called Jubii and it's part of Lycos so it should be pretty reputable.

its possible but it is from Lycos so I wouldn't expect anything sinister.

Who told you that? There's nothing on the Jubii site to suggest that this is the case. And I don't think Lycos would risk their worldwide reputation by using such an underhanded practice as that.

...your comment could be construed as libelous to Jubii and Lycos and I wouldn't want the owners of this forum to face legal action over it.

So when did Lycos start stinging people? I can find no negative comments anywhere on the web about this company. Lycos, like Google, started off life as a web search engine. And, like Google, they are branching out and offering other free services. I bet your suspicious about using Google Earth, Google Apps or any other Google service too.

I always check things out before signing up and, believe me, I did a fair bit of research first. Also, with the internet libel cases coming in thick and fast now, I don't think you should be using this forum for comments like the one's you've made unless you have the evidence to back them up.

501damian501
17-06-2008, 09:10 PM
ok then mr C.I.D wheres your evidence to prove that they dont charge you ? once the beta is over, and yes i do use google apps for your information, not thats its got anything to do with you anyway, what an earth has free phone calls got to do with mobile disco, this is a disco forum not a BT telephone enquires center, i fought an higher member would of moved this post, as it should be in the business section of the forum,

Solitaire Events Ltd
17-06-2008, 09:21 PM
ok then mr C.I.D wheres your evidence to prove that they dont charge you ? once the beta is over, and yes i do use google apps for your information, not thats its got anything to do with you anyway, what an earth has free phone calls got to do with mobile disco, this is a disco forum not a BT telephone enquires center, i fought an higher member would of moved this post, as it should be in the business section of the forum,

Using the phone is an intergral part of running any business I would have thought.

A couple of things, please do not start name calling (Mr C.I.D.) and please leave the running of the forum to us.

Many thanks.

DazzyD
17-06-2008, 10:52 PM
Using the phone is an intergral part of running any business I would have thought.

A couple of things, please do not start name calling (Mr C.I.D.) and please leave the running of the forum to us.

Many thanks.

Thanks, Darren, but I can take a bit of name-calling. And maybe Damian has a point in that I maybe should've posted this thread in the business section.

However, I just thought it might be a useful service to some folk on the forum in that it could, potentially, save people some money for short phone calls.

I took offense to Damians comments relating to the service offered because Jubii and/or Lycos could decide that they're libelous and he along with the owners of the forum could be prosecuted for it. I know this sounds a little extreme but there was a high profile case last year where a local housing group were awarded £100,000 in damages because of comments posted on a forum that were untrue/unfounded (I can provide links to this information if anyone wants to know more - I'm sure Axeman will already have heard about this). I also read in a recent popular PC magazine that these cases are rising and more and more web forums are pursued through the courts for allowing their members to publish negative comments about companies products and services that are unfounded and I certainly think comments about Lycos setting out to sting its users fall in to this category. I make no apologies if anyone thinks I have over-reacted to Damians comments - it's just that I don't want to see action taken against this forum for such libelous comments.

501damian501
17-06-2008, 11:09 PM
so that means, we can all go tittle tattling over slander ?, personally if this was the case courts would be full with internet forum cases???

DazzyD
17-06-2008, 11:40 PM
so that means, we can all go tittle tattling over slander ?, personally if this was the case courts would be full with internet forum cases???

You never know who's reading the posts in a forum. Big companies pay staff to trawl through forums and blogs to find out what people are saying about their products and services. This is how they can quickly identify problems and move to solve them before they escalate. Also, there are a lot of search engine bots that scan this site for information and comments can easily get picked up by them and the results made available within the search engines themselves (I checked on who was on the forum this morning and it said 6 members and 36 guests - all of which were search engine bots).

Also, no-one mentioned slander. Your comments have been published to the web so it's libel which is far easier to prove.

These cases are such a threat to forums that the UK Association of Online Publishers (AOP UK) has had their solicitors publish guidelines to help it's members (the forum owners) moderate their forums so as not to become a target for legal action.

These facts will probably not bother you judging by your previous comments but, as a responsible forum owner myself, they bother me and I don't want to see my favourite forum get in to trouble for such unfounded comments.

Harrison's Discos
18-06-2008, 12:21 AM
This seems perfect for me, sometimes i say about 4 words to someone and put down the phone :D :Laugh:

rob1963
18-06-2008, 06:03 AM
This seems perfect for me, sometimes i say about 4 words to someone and put down the phone :D :Laugh:

Are you not a very chatty person then?

:rolleyes:

soundtracker
18-06-2008, 07:44 AM
what an earth are you chatting ?

I'd like to welcome Lauren to the forum - Vicky Pollard be along soon?

DazzyD
21-06-2008, 10:23 AM
Just a quick update on this one.

Several times I've tried to make calls late on in the day and I couldn't connect. It seems like they allow a limited number of calls each day for everyone as a whole so it's best to use this service early on in the day.

Or it could be a glitch in the system. It is still being trialled after all.

CRAZY K
21-06-2008, 10:49 AM
Just a quick update on this one.

Several times I've tried to make calls late on in the day and I couldn't connect. It seems like they allow a limited number of calls each day for everyone as a whole so it's best to use this service early on in the day.

Or it could be a glitch in the system. It is still being trialled after all.

Thanks anyway Dazzy for making the effort to try and help people on here:thumbs_up:

Your right--the public lurk on here sometimes--even your customers---as I found out a few months ago--be warned :eek: :eek: :eek:

CRAZY K

djgordyp
21-06-2008, 11:17 AM
I use this www.voipcheap.com It has been around for a few years and is a lot cheaper than some services. Computer to computer calls are free as are landline to landline and texts. Calls to mobiles are around 6p per minute and 0845 etc are aroud 3p.
The only drawback is that you have to load it with £10 before you can use the free calls.
Oh and a lot of international calls are free too.

DazzyD
21-06-2008, 12:03 PM
I use this www.voipcheap.com It has been around for a few years and is a lot cheaper than some services. Computer to computer calls are free as are landline to landline and texts. Calls to mobiles are around 6p per minute and 0845 etc are aroud 3p.
The only drawback is that you have to load it with £10 before you can use the free calls.
Oh and a lot of international calls are free too.

I used to this with a headset connected to my laptop about 2 years ago and it was a pretty good service. I know it's very similar to Skype and a whole host of other VoIP services.

The difference with Jubii is that it uses your ordinary phone - there's no need to have a skype/VoIP phone or a headset. Like I said you enter your phone number (mobile or landline) and then the persons number you want to call. The service dials your number then, when you answer, dials the other phone and connects the call. It's very similar technology to the Predictive Diallers that are used in call-centres it seems.

Another quick update. I've been successful in connecting calls today. I called my brother on his mobile (using my mobile) and connected fine. However, after the call I got a message saying "mobile calls not available during beta period" even though I'd just done this! Another glitch me feels although I'm not complaining about this one!

DazzyD
21-06-2008, 12:15 PM
Thanks anyway Dazzy for making the effort to try and help people on here:thumbs_up:

Your right--the public lurk on here sometimes--even your customers---as I found out a few months ago--be warned :eek: :eek: :eek:

CRAZY K

Sorry, Alan, just noticed your post.

Thanks for those comments. It's nice to know that my help is appreciated (sometimes, anyway!).

I've had a customer in the past link to our website from my profile on here. I can't remember what I'd posted but she said my comments made a lot of sense to her and she felt she could trust me to work here wedding. It was one of my higher-paying weddings at a very exclusive sports club and went down really well. In fact, it was probably one of the best weddings I've done.

I actually do searches of sites and blogs on a weekly basis to see if people are leaving comments (good or otherwise) about Lightning Disco & Entertainment but we've yet to get a mention anywhere. It's good to be ready, though!

djgordyp
21-06-2008, 01:04 PM
The difference with Jubii is that it uses your ordinary phone - there's no need to have a skype/VoIP phone or a headset. Like I said you enter your phone number (mobile or landline) and then the persons number you want to call. The service dials your number then, when you answer, dials the other phone and connects the call. It's very similar technology to the Predictive Diallers that are used in call-centres it seems.

Same with voipcheap except that your number is already linked to your username. So you just enter the persons number click direct call then your phone rings followed by the other persons,

CRAZY K
21-06-2008, 02:56 PM
Sorry, Alan, just noticed your post.

Thanks for those comments. It's nice to know that my help is appreciated (sometimes, anyway!).

I've had a customer in the past link to our website from my profile on here. I can't remember what I'd posted but she said my comments made a lot of sense to her and she felt she could trust me to work here wedding. It was one of my higher-paying weddings at a very exclusive sports club and went down really well. In fact, it was probably one of the best weddings I've done.

I actually do searches of sites and blogs on a weekly basis to see if people are leaving comments (good or otherwise) about Lightning Disco & Entertainment but we've yet to get a mention anywhere. It's good to be ready, though!

Mine was slightly less successful.

I posted on here for someone to cover a Disco with us doing the Barn Dance --and the client somehow got on here and realised I was sourcing his booking:eek: Then wrote me an email:rolleyes:

Nothing came of it in the end business wise--bit spooky though:eek:

CRAZY K