PDA

View Full Version : Sonic Maximiser What do you think?

adilowes
17-06-2008, 01:58 PM
My PA has been gradually getting bigger and bigger as doing a lot of work with big bands and need to be at their volume level when they come off etc.
I have tried a different approach and bought a BBE sonic maximiser. I believe it sounds clearer and as a result louder. When I hit the bypass switch it certainly doesn't sound as good but I suspect it isn't a true bypass really.
Have any of you had any experience of using Sonic Maximisers and what do you think?

Boogie Boy
17-06-2008, 02:39 PM
I put my signal through one of these.

http://www.music123.com/TC-Electronic-Finalizer-96K-183008-i1125260.Music123

It's the one piece of kit left over from my sound recording days that I'd find irreplaceable.

Paul James Promotions
17-06-2008, 02:58 PM
To be honest, if you've got a good system, you shouldn't need any enhancement processors. Most of them just boost the LF contour on your system, at the expense of SPL. All good PA systems will give a near flat response, which is what you want for a natural, clean sound.

Remember that often you are competing with a full PA plus backline and drums etc when following a band. It will always sound like you are much quieter when standing behind your rig. However, it shouldn't be as much of a difference to the audience. If you still think you need more power, invest in a bigger amp / system.

J

Solitaire Events Ltd
17-06-2008, 03:01 PM
I put my signal through one of these.

http://www.music123.com/TC-Electronic-Finalizer-96K-183008-i1125260.Music123

It's the one piece of kit left over from my sound recording days that I'd find irreplaceable.

That's a very expensive piece of kit - what are you using speaker wise?

Jaggiebunnett
17-06-2008, 04:17 PM
To be honest, if you've got a good system, you shouldn't need any enhancement processors. Most of them just boost the LF contour on your system, at the expense of SPL. All good PA systems will give a near flat response, which is what you want for a natural, clean sound.

Remember that often you are competing with a full PA plus backline and drums etc when following a band. It will always sound like you are much quieter when standing behind your rig. However, it shouldn't be as much of a difference to the audience. If you still think you need more power, invest in a bigger amp / system.

J

I use a GLI. version of the "sonic maximizer" and it does swallow spls quickly.
I bought it for when you set up in an acoustically dead spot in a venue where no matter what you do you run out of bass but I have hardly used it.:attn:
On the same note I have installed a polarity reverse switch on one of my Eliminator subs for when I may be in a very small venue where the the subs can cancel each other out especially in stereo mode.:eek:

Boogie Boy
17-06-2008, 04:41 PM
That's a very expensive piece of kit - what are you using speaker wise?

A cheap and cheerful Gemini system. Hence, the Finaliser helps out enormously and is also great for all kinds of sonic enhancement (e.g. when recording demos, transferring vinyl to CD etc).

I can get lotsa loudness with it, compression (but so transparent you don't ever notice it, unless you want it as an effect), noise reduction (very little hiss when microphone is set up properly) and dynamic EQing (which if you've never heard the results of doing it, would really open up your ears).

Jaggiebunnett
17-06-2008, 04:43 PM
A cheap and cheerful Gemini system. Hence, the Finaliser helps out enormously and is also great for all kinds of sonic enhancement (e.g. when recording demos, transferring vinyl to CD etc).

I can get lotsa loudness with it, compression (but so transparent you don't ever notice it, unless you want it as an effect), noise reduction (very little hiss when microphone is set up properly) and dynamic EQing (which if you've never heard the results of doing it, would really open up your ears).
your not selling these by any chance are you?:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Boogie Boy
17-06-2008, 04:46 PM
your not selling these by any chance are you?:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

No. I wouldn't need to. They've been incredibly successful among the recording fraternity.

BTW: With the BBE Sonic Maximizer, I wonder how it would sound through a mono system, as most of these 'boxes' enhance the sound by widening the stereo image through some sort of phase shifting?

Quick and easy way to get an extra 3dB or so of bass, is to run a system in mono. You instantly get a lot more punch and solidity.

theoloyla
17-06-2008, 04:50 PM
My Behringer Graphic does all of those things and I love it.

Solitaire Events Ltd
17-06-2008, 05:31 PM

I kinda thought it would be used with a really high end system, but thinking about it, the higher end system wouldn't really need it so much I suppose.

djsteve10
17-06-2008, 06:01 PM
I kinda thought it would be used with a really high end system, but thinking about it, the higher end system wouldn't really need it so much I suppose.

My advice would be to sell that expensive bit of kit and spend that cash on a RCF, Mackie or EV Sound System where it will sound great on a 3 band Eq if set up properly.

Waste of money to be using it on a Gemini System if you ask me. Like putting a big exaust on your Corsa and it makes alot of noise but doesn't go anyfaster.

Just my opinion.

PropellerHeadCase
17-06-2008, 06:24 PM
I found my DBX processor of enormous value, however, system-protecting compression and feedback squasher for live mic work, oh, and a self-setting ring-testing EQ if you want it ;) ...and the bass synthesis is quite nice, too.

Richard Veal
17-06-2008, 08:28 PM
Did you know i thought a sonic maximiser was something that Bad singers used in studios to make them sound like they could sing - Imagine my disapointment to discover thats not what the threads about - For a while there i though some of us where heading for cabaret!

Boogie Boy
17-06-2008, 09:14 PM

Even if I had a high end system, I'd still go through the Finaliser. It's one of those pieces of equipment that totally ingrains itself into your psyche, if you know what I mean.

No, it's not like having a big silencer on a puny little engine, 'cos in this case it has the potential of making almost any system sound better. It's a piece of gear left over from my recording days that I'd never want to sell..it's that good. Did I tell you that it can alter stereo width, aural exciter and has full parametric Eq too, if required?

Solitaire Events Ltd
17-06-2008, 09:17 PM
But do you really think that companies like Nexo, Funktion 1, MA, D&B would use something like that?

Surely their sound doesn't need an item like that?

Boogie Boy
17-06-2008, 09:34 PM
But do you really think that companies like Nexo, Funktion 1, MA, D&B would use something like that?

Don't have a clue, but I don't see why not. The proof would be in the pudding.

Don't forget, loudspeakers are unbelievably non-linear in their response, so even high end loudspeakers are the weakest link in the audio chain. Compare the response curve/graph for virtually any loudspeaker against that of an amplifier, or even high end microphones and the loudspeaker's curve will look spikey by comparison.

adilowes
18-06-2008, 12:33 PM

I know with Nexo they recommend you using their processors and amp with the systems to get the best sound so I assume their processors have this kind of technology in them.