PDA

View Full Version : Leap Of Faith - Web hosting and Email

UltraBeat Entertainment
23-06-2008, 09:00 AM
As I'm planning a revamp of my company I'm thinking of taking the leap of faith to get rid of my freeweb hosting and my .tk address and get it done professionally. To do this I'm looking for a new host (nothing to fancy) and a professional email.

Can anyone recommend me any good ones?

I'm on a small budget so nothing to extreme. Just need it to run a small website (probably only around 3-10 pages) with space for pictures, photo's, logo's. enough bandwidth and speed to compete with other sites and must be easily access with simple admin controls.

CRAZY K
23-06-2008, 10:50 AM
As I'm planning a revamp of my company I'm thinking of taking the leap of faith to get rid of my freeweb hosting and my .tk address and get it done professionally. To do this I'm looking for a new host (nothing to fancy) and a professional email.

Can anyone recommend me any good ones?

I'm on a small budget so nothing to extreme. Just need it to run a small website (probably only around 3-10 pages) with space for pictures, photo's, logo's. enough bandwidth and speed to compete with other sites and must be easily access with simple admin controls.

Hi, I use Claranet.

£30 a year for basic hosting. very reliable and easy to access and update.

Been running for about 5 yrs.

E mail wise I would use a stand alone box in cyberspace like Yahoo or G Mail, then when your PC goes down you dont lose your emails.

CRAZY K

UltraBeat Entertainment
23-06-2008, 11:05 AM
Hi, I use Claranet.

Been running for about 5 yrs.

E mail wise I would use a stand alone box in cyberspace like Yahoo or G Mail, then when your PC goes down you don't lose your emails.

CRAZY K

Who? can you provide a link as can't find it when googled:confused:

Isn't £30 a bit expensive? I've seen alot out there that seem cheaper. What do you get for your money?

I am planning on a web based email but would prefer to be part of my domain e.g [email protected] and not something like [email protected] as i think this looks more professional.

I also need to be able to upload FrontPage files (i know this is most but just thought i would add this in).

I'm hoping for a host, domain and email package all in one if possible.

Solitaire Events Ltd
23-06-2008, 11:28 AM
Isn't £30 a bit expensive? I've seen alot out there that seem cheaper. What do you get for your money?

You are running a professional business and yet you are saying £30 is expensive? Come on...

CRAZY K
23-06-2008, 11:43 AM
Who? can you provide a link as can't find it when googled:confused:

I am planning on a web based email but would prefer to be part of my domain e.g [email protected] and not something like [email protected] as i think this looks more professional.

I also need to be able to upload FrontPage files (i know this is most but just thought i would add this in).

I'm hoping for a host, domain and email package all in one if possible.

£30 A YEAR --not a lot for all your needs ( see responder below )

I want a big name, company with massive resources behind it so Im on the net 24/7 365 days a year.

Im willing to pay that---it also includes registering your domain for the first time as I recall.

You can have your own email address no problem--I just know from experience that when the PC goes down--as it will eventually--you dont want to be flaffing around trying to find the Outlook type back up which isnt always easy to reinstate. Just switch on computer number 2 ( backup ) away you go :D :D :D

I use Front page with Claranet--absolute piece of cake uploading new material, photos etc the only thing it wont support is a php responder for new enquiries.

However I have a separate arrangement through My Internet Store which provides php responder service for all my websites at £20 a year.

Bargain!

Go here for Claranet Light to start with

www.uk.clara.net/home-office/hosting/clarahost/light.html

HTH

CRAZY K

You are running a professional business and yet you are saying £30 is expensive? Come on...

Probably my fault--its NOT MONTHLY

Its YEARLY:D

CRAZY K

UltraBeat Entertainment
23-06-2008, 01:15 PM
Oh yearly:o

Found 1 problem already. it gives you 10MB web space. My current site is well over that already so I'm guessing I'm going to need more than that.

Just found the following host:
http://www.streamlinenet.co.uk/hu.php

Key Details include (Home user):
FREE Domain Name Registration
NO SET UP FEE
250MB of reliable UK webspace
Un-restricted Visitor Bandwidth
99.9% uptime
A Domain Name email address

Price: £18.99per year

Seems to do everything i need. Am i missing anything here?

What do you think? Any good?

Danno13
23-06-2008, 01:40 PM
With it being called "Home User", I'd be inclined to check the small print to see if you're allowed to use it for business purposes.

Shaun
23-06-2008, 02:12 PM
Cheap and reliable very rarely mix, I've found.

For complete reliability and an excellent service, at a very reasonable price, try HERE (http://www.djbids.co.uk/auctiondetails.php?itemname=Website-Hosting&id=474)

UltraBeat Entertainment
23-06-2008, 02:15 PM
With it being called "Home User", I'd be inclined to check the small print to see if you're allowed to use it for business purposes.

Have done. Nothing in the T&C's at all with the word "business" cropping up several times.

As the site seems to be aimed more at commercial sites than personal i can't see any problem myself

Cheap and reliable very rarely mix, I've found.

For complete reliability and an excellent service, at a very reasonable price, try HERE

Interesting. Less space but still interesting.

Whats the prices after the first month? is there any more details online?

Vectis
23-06-2008, 03:09 PM
Whilst I've promised myself that I'll be checking out Marc's services next time I'm putting up a new site, I have several domains with www.weycrest.com

Their speed of access and uptime have been excellent (bar one little glitch in over 2 years) with full PHP support and databases, all those good things. Their entry package is £17.61p/a with 750MB space and 5GB per month data transfer. Can't say fairer than that!!

Jiggles
23-06-2008, 03:18 PM
www.servage.net! brilliant people to speak to only £4.50 per month huge abouts of space and bandwidth :p 99.99% uptime, auto installers and unlimated email accounts!

Marc J
23-06-2008, 03:38 PM
My offer on DJ Bids (linked to earlier) is probably a bit "sledghammer to crack a nut" for most....for example 2 databases are included which you are unlikely to use. Obviously if these (and other features) aren't required then I can hopefully customise a package to suit your requirements and budget.

The email accounts come with POP3 and IMAP support. IMAP is better if you plan on accessing from multiple locations and /or are scared of losing mail from your computer as all mail is kept on the server - for a quick comparison read this (http://saturn.med.nyu.edu/it/help/email/imap/index.html). The downside of using IMAP is that the disk space your email takes up counts towards your total quota - with POP3 it is removed from the server once you download it.

There's also a webmail facility which you can use if you prefer, allowing you to send & receive email (from the same address) from any computer.

Most decent hosts will provide POP3, IMAP and Webmail, it's rather unusual not to. Given this, there is really no reason why you should use other web-based email like Gmail or Yahoo for business mail - it just seems unprofessional if you ask me.

If you're really bothered about losing mail you can add another layer of security by setting up a forward from your mailbox to a separate GMail account, as well as creating the mailbox in its own right. This provides a professional looking email address ([email protected]) while also sending a copy of all incoming mail to your GMail account.

Things like PHP contact forms / autoresponders (mentioned by Crazy K) can be setup on my server (most hosts will support PHP), in fact I have been known to include the initial setup of these as a "welcome gift" for new customers ;)

One more thing - if you're using FrontPage steer clear of FrontPage Extensions - some hosts do still support them but they are getting more difficult to find and those that do will have to move forward at some point...

CRAZY K
23-06-2008, 04:17 PM

Found 1 problem already. it gives you 10MB web space. My current site is well over that already so I'm guessing I'm going to need more than that.

NO SET UP FEE
99.9% uptime

Sorry I had thought there was enough space for your site.

I really wouldnt go down the cheap route---do you encourage your Disco clients to do that?

CRAZY K

rob1963
23-06-2008, 04:54 PM
Hi, I use Claranet.

CRAZY K

I used them for a while.

It's worth noting that one aspect of their service which I found was NOT reliable was their webstats.

In the section that shows which other sites people come to your own site from, I discovered that only about 25% of the data was being picked up & reported.

Fortunately the problem completely disappeared when I changed hosts to Marc J, which was excellent news, as I find this information to be very valuable.

Peter Lockwood
23-06-2008, 05:02 PM
i use freezone (http://www.freezone.co.uk/hosting/essential.php) and find them to be ok i pay 4 quid a month

CRAZY K
23-06-2008, 05:31 PM
I used them for a while.

It's worth noting that one aspect of their service which I found was NOT reliable was their webstats.

In the section that shows which other sites people come to your own site from, I discovered that only about 25% of the data was being picked up & reported.

Fortunately the problem completely disappeared when I changed hosts to Marc J, which was excellent news, as I find this information to be very valuable.

Fair enough--I cant comment as luckily I dont pay a penny to advertise on any sites so this information is of no interest.

Im only interested in bookings I pick up directly from my site from the Internet--:D

I know those--they are in my diary.

CRAZY K

chorleyjim
23-06-2008, 05:48 PM

NO SET UP FEE
99.9% uptime

i had a couple of sites hosted with these guys, they were terrible, customer service was poor and their tech support just as bad.

I have 30 sites at work hosted with www.unitedhosting.co.uk

they may not be the cheapest but the service is superb.

soundtracker
23-06-2008, 06:10 PM
Try clicking the icon at the top of the site that says "Web design and hosting"

Marc J
23-06-2008, 06:43 PM
I used them for a while.

Just to add to this, if webstats are very important to you then you don't necessarily have to go to a web host who provides these, you can always opt to include third party stats like Google Analytics (http://www.google.com/analytics/en-GB/). Web hosts usually use AWStats and / or Webalizer and while these are fairly good, I'd have to say that Google Analytics provides much better stats.

PropellerHeadCase
23-06-2008, 08:07 PM

Being professional doesn't necessarily mean you are making money. I'm a professional and have a professional work ethic but I'm working very hard to keep my purcashasing in check - so far I'm at about 20-25% below RRP for new equipment :D

rob1963
23-06-2008, 11:25 PM
Being professional doesn't necessarily mean you are making money.

Indeed.

It depends entirely on which definition of "professional" you choose to use.

UltraBeat Entertainment
24-06-2008, 07:38 AM
Thanks for all the input. hope to get round to reviewing your links later on this morning. And hopefully decide which one to use:)

Marc J
24-06-2008, 09:43 AM
Hi, I use Claranet.

...I have several domains with www.weycrest.com

www.servage.net!

i use freezone (http://www.freezone.co.uk/hosting/essential.php) and find them to be ok i pay 4 quid a month

Try clicking the icon at the top of the site that says "Web design and hosting"

[JEDI MIND TRICK MODE]

These aren't the hosts you're looking for....
[/JEDI MIND TRICK MODE]

:D

Spirits High
24-06-2008, 10:30 AM
[JEDI MIND TRICK MODE]
[/JEDI MIND TRICK MODE]

That's why we call you Web Yoda :D :D

worked on me, glad I didn't turn to the darkside ;)

Solitaire Events Ltd
24-06-2008, 10:35 AM
Being professional doesn't necessarily mean you are making money.

I didn't say that.

UltraBeat Entertainment
24-06-2008, 10:41 AM
[JEDI MIND TRICK MODE]
[/JEDI MIND TRICK MODE]

:confused: :confused: :confused:

I've just found out that my good old friends Vista Print now lets you host websites from them. you can even design, add images, forums, text and other media to the site. You get your own domain address and you can edit it all on line.

And the best bit. You get a free trial for a month:)

I'm seriously thinking about giving it ago after I've seen a template i like the look of and as present from my existing website I'm definitely no web designer. So I'm in favor for letting someone else do the hard work

Spirits High
24-06-2008, 10:43 AM
:confused: :confused: :confused:

I've just found out that my good old friends Vista Print now lets you host websites from them. you can even design, add images, forums, text and other media to the site. You get your own domain address and you can edit it all on line.

And the best bit. You get a free trial for a month:)

I'm seriously thinking about giving it ago after I've seen a template i like the look of and as present from my existing website I'm definitely no web designer. So I'm in favor for letting someone else do the hard work

Spud,

Before doing anything, have a little chat with Marc J even if it's just for advice..;)

Just trying to help your business florish

Tony Scott
24-06-2008, 10:44 AM
http://www.telivo.com/web-hosting.html
Feeling a bit stung here, I'm with Telivo and pay £30.00 per year(stater package).
They have been excellent with no down time in 2 years but I feel I've payed too much, what do you think? Are they any any better than others?

It's only £30 but by the look of it I could get more for less next time!

Comments please. :)

UltraBeat Entertainment
24-06-2008, 11:06 AM
Spud,

Before doing anything, have a little chat with Marc J even if it's just for advice..;)

Just trying to help your business florish

I didn't relies that getting a new website was such hard work. reminds me why i stayed with freeweb for so long and kept my .tk address:rolleyes:

I'm still up for getting vista print to do all the hard work:D

Danno13
24-06-2008, 11:15 AM
I wouldn't bother with that vistaprint offer personally.. it looks as if you can only use their site builder, therefore you probably won't be able to tweak your keywords etc. for the search engines. You also can't upload your own html pages etc. via FTP. And I bet they register the domain name for you and won't let you transfer it if you decide to leave.. plus, its not particularly cheap either!

Marc J
24-06-2008, 11:31 AM
[JEDI MIND TRICK MODE]
These aren't the hosts you're looking for....[/JEDI MIND TRICK MODE]:confused: :confused: :confused:
You mean you haven't seen Star Wars (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnjaUoR15dU)? :D

http://www.telivo.com/web-hosting.html
Feeling a bit stung here, I'm with Telivo and pay £30.00 per year(stater package).
They have been excellent with no down time in 2 years but I feel I've payed too much, what do you think? Are they any any better than others?

It's only £30 but by the look of it I could get more for less next time!

Comments please. :)

Tony,

Be careful, you will pay an awful lot for true 100% guaranteed uptime, and when settling for less (even 99.9%) you often find out what separates one host from another when things DO go wrong. 99.9% uptime is actually fairly easy to acheive - it equates to almost 9 hours of downtime in a year which is a fair bit.

That said, their £30 package does seem a little expensive given that there's no Perl, PHP, MySQL, phpMyAdmin, Spam & Virus Protection, Webmail, Password Protection etc., (all of which are standard on mine :p ). But then if you don't want or need any of that (or don't know what it even means :eek: ) then fair enough...why pay for it?

discomobiledj
24-06-2008, 06:33 PM
Someone I know used Telivo and had nothing but trouble.

I'm switching to Streamline.net, very good for the money.