PDA

View Full Version : Wedding Fair Advice

ppentertainments
24-06-2008, 09:37 PM
After talking to other people supplying wedding goods I have decided to do a couple of wedding fairs this summer. Both are at venues I dj regularly at.

Thing is I have not got a clue how to 'show' my disco. I have done them for my photography - few albums, prints, frames and a slideshow running,- but how do you show off your disco. I would assume lights and music are out of the question as it would interfere with other stands.

What I was thinking about was setting up the ultimax micromax stand with lights etc (turned off) a slideshow running on a monitor and plenty leaflets, business cards etc on top of stand.

Any ideas - pictures would be great :D :D
I have not seen any other dj's at wedding fairs I have previously attended.

Excalibur
24-06-2008, 09:52 PM
After talking to other people supplying wedding goods I have decided to do a couple of wedding fairs this summer. Both are at venues I dj regularly at.

Thing is I have not got a clue how to 'show' my disco. I have done them for my photography - few albums, prints, frames and a slideshow running,- but how do you show off your disco. I would assume lights and music are out of the question as it would interfere with other stands.

What I was thinking about was setting up the ultimax micromax stand with lights etc (turned off) a slideshow running on a monitor and plenty leaflets, business cards etc on top of stand.

Any ideas - pictures would be great :D :D
I have not seen any other dj's at wedding fairs I have previously attended.

You're on the right lines in my opinion. The main aim is to be approachable, sensible, helpful and happy to chat to folk about what they require from a Wedding DJ. I've done a couple when I was resident at a smart Hotel.

yourdj
24-06-2008, 10:00 PM
I only use a starcloth on table, speakers (not on) and a banner. Also a display stand (s) for flyes and promo materials and a moving display of some sort via laptop/lcd screen of your gig/setup.

Up to you but i don't like having a full set up and it has not seemed to make a huge difference, especially when having music on as this really annoys other stall holders (although i have a small speaker with music on under table)

The most important thing is to stand in front of the display and be friendly IMO. People have booked just by my attitude and have demanded that it is me, which has been awkward when double booked and giving it to other DJ.

The best thing is a pop up banner which makes life so much easier.

http://bp2.blogger.com/_044PTfUkGaA/R50DsZIiTYI/AAAAAAAAAcM/hhT8HrPepkk/s320/elmers-court-1.jpg

http://bp0.blogger.com/_044PTfUkGaA/R-JE1qu-rYI/AAAAAAAAAm0/1akdoT_-D8c/s320/BASIGNGSTOKE+WEDDING+FAIR.JPG

Very knackering day in all! I always crash out early when i get home :beer1:

dmckaraoke
24-06-2008, 10:32 PM
"Your dj" very nice looking wedding setup...

Any chance of getting to see what you put onyour flyers and leaflets and what kind of stuff do you put on your laptop and screen grabs.

yourdj
25-06-2008, 06:47 AM
"Your dj" very nice looking wedding setup...

Any chance of getting to see what you put onyour flyers and leaflets and what kind of stuff do you put on your laptop and screen grabs.

Not sure as the last time i did that i got told off for advertising :confused: Pretty much what is on my website. general info, booking form etc. Anything really to point at and guide the customer. There is a demo of my rig on the laptop on loop with some music from itunes.

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=-6220986454918404521&q=&hl=un

UltraBeat Entertainment
25-06-2008, 07:18 AM
I've never done one before but i should think that it's also important to make your "stand" look neat and presentable for the potential customers. also do every thing possible to make your self presentable as first impressions really are important.

PropellerHeadCase
25-06-2008, 07:50 AM
I would assume lights and music are out of the question as it would interfere with other stands.

Obviously I don't know how it is here in the UK but we always have lights and music at shows - not at gig level, obviously, but we're DJs - if we can't have some music playing at background level (which, by the way, most of the other exhibitors enjoy as it breaks the monotony) how do we show what we do? We always have a pre-programmed selection of appropriate pop from all decades. As for lights we just point one at the ceiling and one at a nearby wall, if appropriate as it creates a bit of visual interest for people heading our way, and we often have one playing across the rear of the display cubicle.

Despite how that might all appear my advice for wedding shows is keep you and you gear tidy and well presented and keep your use of sound and light (if allowed) subtle. Be friendly and approachable but avoid the hard-sell. It doesn't hurt to have a prize draw for a free disco or something which allows you to gather details for an email-out (appropriate disclaimers on the entry forms of course).

mark@pegasus
25-06-2008, 07:56 AM
I do 3 venues a year and am lucky enough that at two of them I get to provide the music and lights for the bridal show plus a display table so I do get a chance to show of the lighting and the range of music I carry and them on my display table I have my promotional video playing and website showing on the laptop. I also have had some postcard size flyers printed that I place on the chairs around the catwalk as you can't talk to eveyone so even if you do miss the odd person chances are they have taken your information with them. Personally I do try and avoid fayres that take place in the summer as I find they don't work as well as the ones in early spring or late autumn.

Solitaire Events Ltd
25-06-2008, 11:21 AM
Don't bother with lights and equipment. That isn't what the client buys.

Take a laptop with some photos/video etc and dress as you would dress for a wedding.

Be yourself and listen to the clients needs.

mark@pegasus
25-06-2008, 12:10 PM
I agree Darren if all you've got is a display table, I only put the show in because I'm involved in the bridal show and in return I get a reduced fee for my table

rob1963
25-06-2008, 12:34 PM

Completely agree.

I used to help a colleague with wedding fayres, and he went to the hassle of taking & setting up a standard rig with lights...

...until one fayre where he saw a disco which just had brochures & leaflets on a table, and not a single piece of equipment in site.

My friend soon started doing the same.

We just used to be friendly & chat to people as they walked past, usually using something like "Hello...have you arranged your entertainment yet?" as a starting point.

Solitaire Events Ltd
25-06-2008, 12:39 PM
We just used to be friendly & chat to people as they walked past, usually using something like "Hello...have you arranged your entertainment yet?" as a starting point.

Very good advice. Engage people. Brides love to talk about their wedding plans.

soundtracker
25-06-2008, 12:46 PM

Almost very good advice, a closed question gets a closed answer (Yes or no) ask an open question and they will have to talk!

Solitaire Events Ltd
25-06-2008, 12:47 PM
Almost very good advice, a closed question gets a closed answer (Yes or no) ask an open question and they will have to talk!

Which is a complete waste of time if they have already got their entertainment sorted out....;)

rob1963
25-06-2008, 01:53 PM

Which is a complete waste of time if they have already got their entertainment sorted out....;)

Exactly!

There's no point in making them talk if they've already booked their entertainment...as it would make more sense for you to spend your time talking to people who have NOT yet booked their entertainment.

If you ask whether they've arranged their entertainment and they say "Yes" you've quickly discovered that you can't help them, and can move on to the next potential customer.

However, if they say "No" you can go on to ask them what kind of entertainment they're thinking of having, and move the conversation on from there.

Solitaire Events Ltd
25-06-2008, 01:55 PM
Although, generally what Pete says is right and used in sales techniques all the time. I just think in the limited time you have at a wedding fayre, it doesn't matter so much.

Shaun
25-06-2008, 01:58 PM
Not sure as the last time i did that i got told off for advertising :confused: Pretty much what is on my website. general info, booking form etc. Anything really to point at and guide the customer. There is a demo of my rig on the laptop on loop with some music from itunes.

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=-6220986454918404521&q=&hl=un

Are you sure you were told off for posting your flyer??

The forum advertising rules are mainly in place to stop outside companies using the forum as a 'billboard', and to stop members selling additional non-DJ related services or items that should be on our sister site (DJ Bids).

I see no reason for you not to post your flyer here on the forum if you wish. :)

soundtracker
25-06-2008, 03:19 PM
Although, generally what Pete says is right and used in sales techniques all the time. I just think in the limited time you have at a wedding fayre, it doesn't matter so much.

and of course they will say yes just to deflect your approach! At my last two Wedding fayres I have taken bookings away from other companies by explaining what I can offer

rob1963
25-06-2008, 03:29 PM
and of course they will say yes just to deflect your approach!

That wasn't my experience.

soundtracker
25-06-2008, 03:37 PM
Commonly accepted sales practice - use open questions to obtain information - don't give the punter the opportunity to answer yes or no. (which you should remember from your Natwest Training!)

rob1963
25-06-2008, 03:40 PM
Commonly accepted sales practice - use open questions to obtain information - don't give the punter the opportunity to answer yes or no. (which you should remember from your Natwest Training!)

I remember that from my Nat West training very well!

However, in this case I think you should ask one closed question initially - in order to discover whether the person is a potential client.

After that, open questions are fine.

:)

soundtracker
25-06-2008, 03:44 PM
We're not going to agree on this Rob - you do it your way, I'll do it mine.

rob1963
25-06-2008, 03:46 PM
We're not going to agree on this Rob - you do it your way, I'll do it mine.

To be honest, I won't do it EITHER way...as I stopped doing wedding fayres about 10 years ago!

:D :D :D

soundtracker
25-06-2008, 03:49 PM
To be honest, I won't do it EITHER way...as I stopped doing wedding fayres about 10 years ago!

:D :D :D

Well I'm still doing them - and having good success , so I'll stick to my way if you don't mind!:)

rob1963
25-06-2008, 03:51 PM
Well I'm still doing them - and having good success , so I'll stick to my way if you don't mind!:)

Of course I don't mind!

I'm glad you are having good success with them.

:thumbsup:

DJ INDIE
25-06-2008, 06:08 PM
hi all,

the weddings i do come from word of mouth or people who have seen me do others, so ive no control of when the wedding gigs roll in - ive never thought about representing at a wedding fair - sounds like a great idea - everyone else bridalwear, caterers etc represent there, never occured to me DJs would - how do you get into these fayres? ive seen them advertised to attend, but how do you get into having a stall etc?

yourdj
25-06-2008, 06:24 PM
Just google search and phone the organisers. Get a good deal by signing up with as many from one person at a lower price per fair £80 or something.

DJ INDIE
25-06-2008, 06:34 PM
thanks for that - much appreciated.

PropellerHeadCase
25-06-2008, 08:16 PM

Take a laptop with some photos/video etc and dress as you would dress for a wedding.

Be yourself and listen to the clients needs.

Whilst I agree that it's not the equipment that the client's buy having no music playing definitely confuses some people... Are you a DJ or not? What music do you play?

As mentioned I use a couple of small lights to draw people to where we are (from feedback I've had at shows it works), and a very light sound set-up... not even close to a full rig (maybe even one small speaker running in mono).

No doubt the most important thing is engaging the potential clients in conversation, and even conversation with someone who has already booked can have benefits... some, if unhappy, might re-book but more commonly a conversation with one bride will lead to a follow-up question from another who is ready to book.

That they do :D

the weddings i do come from word of mouth or people who have seen me do others, so ive no control of when the wedding gigs roll in - ive never thought about representing at a wedding fair - sounds like a great idea - everyone else bridalwear, caterers etc represent there, never occured to me DJs would - how do you get into these fayres? ive seen them advertised to attend, but how do you get into having a stall etc?

Initial ads for the shows themselves are out in the papers long before all the stalls are sold out, usually. Ring and ask.

Barclay's Beats
30-06-2008, 11:34 AM
We did our first wedding show last year and found it worth while overall. I did have some pictures of our set up but in this digital age I've lost them. Basically I had some A2 posters made up with the web address on and stuck them onto a display stand I borrowed from my wife's work. Put up a couple of Bose 802s and Pilot 150s (which rotated our logo gobo onto the blank walls) and set up the laptop to play some quiet upbeat tunes and show off some pictures. We also supplied the music for the bridal show downstairs.

While I was at the printers I had him make up some card flyers with basic contact and service information on them and handed them out at the table and put them on the seats at the bridal show. My wife came along and did a great job talking to prospecting brides and putting them onto me if they were wanting to talk business. Make sure and have a sheet made up so you can record prospecting client's details (name, venue address, date of wedding, contact number and email address) so you can follow it all up.

You'll find most of the enquiries are for dates years in advance and they are just making initial enquiries. Another small tip is to buy a tin of chocolates and hand them out at your stand, it's a good way to break the ice.

Good luck and let us know how you get on....

BB

Spirits High
25-08-2008, 03:23 PM
Got our first one next sunday at Hodsock Priory, collecting flyers etc this week.

Looking forward to it, taking Emma along to chat to the Brides!

Dragonfly
25-08-2008, 04:31 PM
Got our first one next sunday at Hodsock Priory, collecting flyers etc this week.

keep her away from the bar Paul :D :D :D :D :D :D

Spirits High
25-08-2008, 08:19 PM
keep her away from the bar Paul :D :D :D :D :D :D

You're not wrong there :D :D

LEENEWSOME
25-08-2008, 10:42 PM

OH MY GOD HODSOCK PRIORY (screaming and shouting):eek: :eek: :eek:

thats where i did a gig 2 years ago for the BBC for "your big day" beautiful place and an awesome marquee, but the BBC are a load of *^$"****:bang:

Spirits High
25-08-2008, 10:58 PM
OH MY GOD HODSOCK PRIORY (screaming and shouting):eek: :eek: :eek:

thats where i did a gig 2 years ago for the BBC for "your big day" beautiful place and an awesome marquee, but the BBC are a load of *^$"****:bang:

aw that was you was it :D

Done a couple of gigs up there, quality clients.

Hope to get some more sunday :D :D